Game 45: Bruins v. Philly (23/04/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 45: Bruins v. Philly (23/04/13)

Last 10: Boston 5-4-1; Philadelphia 5-5-0

Season series: This will be the third and final meeting between the teams this season. They split their first two games -- the Bruins won 3-0 in Boston on March 9, while the Flyers won 3-1 in Philadelphia on March 30.

Big story: The Bruins, after snapping their four-game winless skid, are looking to pick up points to stay ahead of the Montreal Canadiens and hang onto the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference.

Team Scope:

Bruins: He didn't get on the score sheet, but for Bruins forward Milan Lucic, his return to the lineup Sunday against the Florida Panthers can be seen as a step in the right direction.

One game after being made a healthy scratch for the first time since his rookie season, Lucic had a team-high five hits and three shots on goal in 12:54 of ice time, skating on a line with David Krejci and Rich Peverley.

"[He was] a little bit more involved," coach Claude Julien told CSNNE.com. "You can't go from zero to 60 in one game. It's just a matter of him doing some things a little bit better, which he did [Sunday]. We've got four more games here before the end of the season and hopefully he continues to take some positive strides."

Flyers: Paul Holmgren looks at the stats, looks at the standings and just shakes his head.

The Philadelphia general manager sees a power play that entered the week third in the League at 22.1 percent, and a penalty kill ranked sixth at 85.1 percent. And then he sees his team sitting 12th in the Eastern Conference, eliminated from Stanley Cup Playoff contention.

"I look at our team, it's amazing that's where we're at with the power play and penalty killing near the top of the League," Holmgren told ESPN.com. "But five-on-five goals, we're way down. That's probably what did us in, more than anything."

The Flyers entered the week 28th in the League in even-strength goals for/against at 0.82 per game.

Their leader in even-strength goals this season, Jakub Voracek, was tied for 20th in the League with 12. Next on the list were Wayne Simmonds and Matt Read, who were tied for 60th with nine.

Who's hot: Bruins leading scorer Brad Marchand has goals in two straight games, and five points in his past five games. … Voracek has three goals in the past four games for the Flyers. He has 20 in 45 games this season, eclipsing his previous career best of 18 in 78 games last season.

Injury report: Forward Nathan Horton (upper body) and defenseman Adam McQuaid (lower body) are questionable for the Bruins. … The Flyers are missing forwards Zac Rinaldo (ankle), Maxime Talbot (leg), and Jody Shelley (hip), and defensemen Braydon Coburn (shoulder), Andrej Meszaros (shoulder), Nicklas Grossmann (concussion), Kent Huskins (concussion) and Bruno Gervais (torn stomach muscle).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Game 45: Bruins v. Philly (23/04/13)

Philly def is majot issue for them. They can still score and still hate the bruins.  bruins win is all that matters.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

60 minutes of full effort, points are at a premium, get the puck out of your own end cleanly...

Any other cliche Brick mumors I didn't mention ?

Oh Soderberg absorbs a big hit from Barbara Streisands love child and pots one via Jagr of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

60 minutes of full effort, points are at a premium, get the puck out of your own end cleanly...

Any other cliche Brick mumors I didn't mention ?

Oh Soderberg absorbs a big hit from Barbara Streisands love child and pots one via Jagr of course.

Who is said love child? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Who is said love child? 

Hartnell?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Who is said love child? 

Hartnell?

I was thinking zac.  But hes done for the year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

GNB's take:

PHILADELPHIA – Good morning from the Wells Fargo Center, where the Bruins will start a four-game stretch over six days against the Flyers tonight.

Nathan Horton (upper body) will not play. Horton is back in Boston. Horton was injured during a fight with Jarome Iginla last Saturday.

For now, we’ll assume Anton Khudobin will start in goal. Khudobin backed up Tuukka Rask the last two games.

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

TV/radio info: NBC Sports Network (Mike Emrick, Ed Olczyk, Pierre McGuire),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 27-12-5, Flyers 20-22-3

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Rich Peverley
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Chris Kelly-Carl Soderberg-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Johnny Boychuk
    Wade Redden-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Dougie Hamilton

Anton Khudobin
    Tuukka Rask

Healthy scratches: Aaron Johnson, Adam McQuaid, Matt Bartkowski, Kaspars Daugavins, Jay Pandolfo

Storylines: This could be the final road game for some of the veterans. Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron will most likely stay home instead of traveling to Washington on Saturday. The Bruins have enough depth to rest their key players before the playoffs begin … The Flyers will pay tribute to the Boston Marathon victims tonight. Proceeds from tonight’s 50-50 raffle will go to the One Fund Boston. The Flyers’ jerseys will be auctioned off to benefit the One Fund… Chris Lee and Tim Peel will be the referees. Michel Cormier and Derek Nansen will be the linesmen.

I have to say, if Fluto is accurate in his line projections (and that is a big if) then I am not a big fan with the tinkering. Only on a CJ team is Peverley on the first line and Jagr on the third.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Soderberg at center is what's caught my attention.  This is the first game I get to watch with him in the lineup.  Maybe I'll finally believe he exists.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Yet another opportunity for the B's to hold serve on the 2 seed. Let's see them actually grab the bull by the horns this time.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Streisand love child.. that made me laugh. Always have hated Hartnell. Thanks lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Julien lets McQuaid plays tonight that's fine but one more game should be it, Adam just can't shake the re-injure bug right now. Let him sit this weekend if the #2 spot is wrapped up. Let Johnson, Redden and Bartkowski get some TOI.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I've liked what I've seen out of Redden. Does anyone else think he deserves more games?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I've liked what I've seen out of Redden. Does anyone else think he deserves more games?

Me too. Good pickup.

As SanDog suggested, let McQuaid rest, can't hurt (literally).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Yes. He looks very comfortable out there and should be well rested. He may very well play alot once the playoffs start.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Kimo Timmonen is not in the lineup tonight....Philly's best Dman by far.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

Yes. He looks very comfortable out there and should be well rested. He may very well play alot once the playoffs start.

I like Redden too, or at least I like the effort to get 8-9 d-men prepared to step in if needed for the last 5 games and then the playoffs.  Would be nice to rest a few guys, and then be prepared for playoff injuries with guys who have some poise and experience.  I expect to see Bartkowski and perhaps Krug play a few games soon too...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I like Redden too, or at least I like the effort to get 8-9 d-men prepared to step in if needed for the last 5 games and then the playoffs.  Would be nice to rest a few guys, and then be prepared for playoff injuries with guys who have some poise and experience.  I expect to see Bartkowski and perhaps Krug play a few games soon too...

Completely agree, Fletch.

According to Fluto Redden, Doughie, and AJ are sitting tonight in favour of McQuaid and Bartkowski. Not sure how I feel about this. Bart has proven he can play and I am fine with him, but playing a beat-up McQuaid in favour of Hamilton or Redden seems odd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Agree with both of you. I like what i've seen of Redden so far, would like to see more of him. McQuaid, I dont think has been the same since his off-season surgery, definetly looks lighter. I think if Redden gets a chance, he'd prove valuable, especially in the playoffs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Agree with both of you. I like what i've seen of Redden so far, would like to see more of him. McQuaid, I dont think has been the same since his off-season surgery, definetly looks lighter. I think if Redden gets a chance, he'd prove valuable, especially in the playoffs.

COMPLETELY AGREE!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Definetly hasn't fought as well this season,I would definetly give him a couple more games to rest,don't get why they keep giving Hamilton rest,he's the youngest,how about Ferrence or Seidenburg

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

great points all around.

go b's.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Hamilton keeps resting because he's already dressed for 79 games so far this season. The Bruins are also hoping he will play somewhere between 16 and 28 playoff games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Devils up 1-0 over the habs on a ppg from Elais.

Go B's!!!

Sections
Shortcuts