Game 46: Lightning v. Bruins (25/04/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 46: Lightning v. Bruins (25/04/13)

Last 10: Tampa Bay 2-6-2; Boston 4-5-1

Season series: Third and final meeting of the regular season. This game was originally scheduled for Feb. 9 and postponed due to a snowstorm. The Boston Bruins have won the two games played since, Brad Marchand scoring the decisive goal in both contests.

Big story: The Bruins begin a stretch of three games in four days to end the regular season, two of which are make-ups. After hosting the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday, they travel to play the Washington Capitals on Saturday before returning to TD Garden for a Sunday date with the Ottawa Senators, a game postponed in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings. The Bruins are tied in points atop the Northeast Division with the Montreal Canadiens, but hold a game in hand.

Team Scope:

Lightning: Although Tampa Bay won't be going to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, these final two games still hold their fair share of excitement at least as far as a couple individuals are concerned. The Lightning beat the Maple Leafs 5-2 on Wednesday behind a hat trick by Martin St. Louis and Steven Stamkos' 29th goal of the season. St. Louis took over the NHL scoring lead with 58 points, while Stamkos added an assist to tie injured Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby for second with 56 points. Stamkos is also two goals behind League leader Alex Ovechkin. Rookie defenseman Radko Gudas sparked a three-goal third with the game-winner.

"It's just a pleasure to have him on your team," coach Jon Cooper said of St. Louis. "I'm his coach, but when you step outside the coaching realm, how can you not be a fan of what he does. We needed a boost tonight and he gave it to us."

Bruins: Coming down the stretch neither Boston nor Montreal has done a lot to suggest it is interested in claiming the division crown and the No. 2 seed that comes with it. The Bruins are in good shape, though, if they can build on their 15-4-3 home mark over these final days. They were beaten 5-2 in Philadelphia on Tuesday by a Flyers team also on the outside of the playoff picture. Anton Khudobin was pulled after yielding three goals on 17 shots and only Wade Redden and David Krejci were able to put pucks past Steve Mason out of Boston's 41 shots.

"These last three games, we need a wakeup call mentally and we need to be willing to do the stuff that's given us success," coach Claude Julien said in the Boston Herald. "Right now, we have it sometimes but we don't have it all the times."

Who's hot: St. Louis has five goals in the past four games for the Lightning. … Jaromir Jagr has two goals and nine points in 10 games since joining the Bruins, while Carl Soderberg has two assists in his first three games with the team.

Injury report: Boston forward Nathan Horton (hand) has missed the past two games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 46: Lightning v. Bruins (25/04/13)

Go Bruins!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Go Bruins, strut your stuff. Watch bergeron's first shift, and play with the same consistency.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Get ready for firewagon hockey.  marty and stampkos looking for scoring titles and are loose and having fun now.   

Bruins win 6-5.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Get ready for firewagon hockey.  marty and stampkos looking for scoring titles and are loose and having fun now.   

Bruins win 6-5.  

If you are right then I believe CJ will have a stroke behind the bench.....fried chicken flying everywhere.

Here is an artistic dramatization:

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Hey.  Thats my buddy murray.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fluto's take on tonight's lineup.

***Spoiler alert: same as against Philly at forward, Bart and McQuaid on the back end (Doughie and Redden out) and Rask in nets***

Good morning from TD Garden, where the Bruins will start a three-games-in-four-nights run against Tampa Bay tonight. This is one of the two rescheduled games the Bruins will play to close out the regular season.

Tuukka Rask, who saw relief work against Philadelphia on Tuesday, should get the start tonight.

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Lightning 18-24-4, Bruins 27-13-5

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Rich Peverley
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Chris Kelly-Carl Soderberg-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Johnny Boychuk
    Matt Bartkowski-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Aaron Johnson, Dougie Hamilton, Wade Redden, Kaspars Daugavins, Jay Pandolfo

Storylines: The Lightning are coming off a 5-2 win over Toronto last night. None of the top three teams in the Northeast (Boston, Montreal, Toronto) is playing well heading into the playoffs… No word yet on whether Nathan Horton (upper body) will be ready to play tonight. Horton hasn’t played the last two games since suffering an injury in a fight with Jarome Iginla last Saturday… The Bruins are scheduled to practice tomorrow. It will be their final practice of the regular season. They’ve desperately missed regular practices, just like every other team in the league… Chris Rooney and Marc Joannette will be the referees. Jay Sharrers and Brian Murphy will be the linesmen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Hey.  Thats my buddy murray.  

lol....we are all KFC fans whether we admit it or not. I believe some of the secret spices include nicotine, heroin, and an assortment of other addictive chemicals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Yea let's hope there's lots of Criss Cross tonight too! 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Is that Glen Murray and Sobotka in crumbs-falling area under Julien?

I agree that it'll be a shoot out tonight and I think the Bruins lose again.  Don't see a somewhat meaningless game against Tampa Bay snapping them out of their malaise.  

I think they'll hit the snooze bar until the middle of next week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Bruins win 6-5.  

No way !  Bruins will not win a firewagon game.  Right now they need to keep it tight (boring) but that's the only way they win.  They have trouble scoring more than 3 goals a game.  Philly had all their regular D hurt(except Schenn) and Bruins still couldn't muster offense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Stubborn Julien !  Still has Jagr with Kelly and Soderberg  .  Why not have Jagr with Krejci and Soderberg and ship the other 2 with Kelly ?  if that's too much then at least switch Jagr and Peverley .  Then again what do I know about balancing 4 lines,  right ?

Defense I think Redden is in and Bartkowski out  . I like Redden and think he should start in the playoffs although last game the 4th goal was his giveaway in the neutral zone .. Why sit Hamilton again ?  Chara was not at his best and compromised Hamilton last game.  I would have rather have seen McQuaid (to get 100% healthy) or even Chara sit this one for rest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Bruins win 6-5.  

I saw the game in filly Tuesday night. The flyers played firewagon hockey. The BRUINS...not so much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'll be missing the game tonight to attend Panthers vs. Leafs, the final home game of the year for this pathetic excuse for a hockey team.  Oh, the Leafs fans are brutal.  They aren't deeebags like the Rangers fans, but just so over the top.  "Go Leafs Go" rattles the foundations of the BB&T. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

BRUINS 3  TB 2 ... a close one ..could go in S/O

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

think we've been waiting for the b's to lay off  the snooze button.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'll be missing the game tonight to attend Panthers vs. Leafs, the final home game of the year for this pathetic excuse for a hockey team. 

Check in later and let us know how it went.

A scouting report on the Leafs would be good too considering they may be meeting the B's in the playoffs soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

bruins will be scoreboard watching tonight

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Maybe Seguin goes game 2 on them tonight?

I'm thinking a 4-3 game here, not going to predict winner though. I just think the Lightning will force the Bruins to open it up a little bit.

I just want them to get a little bit of swagger back. A nice butt-whooping of one of the best offenses in the league would suit them well. Try Seidenberg and Chara together to shut down their top line, and see how that works. Start with that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'll be missing the game tonight to attend Panthers vs. Leafs, the final home game of the year for this pathetic excuse for a hockey team.  Oh, the Leafs fans are brutal.  They aren't deeebags like the Rangers fans, but just so over the top.  "Go Leafs Go" rattles the foundations of the BB&T. 

Seems to be like that in most every arena up here except maybe Montreal.  And even that rink draws a healthy turnout of leather-lunged, blue 'n white clad fans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

NAS, you'll have to tell us what sign you decided on and if you had any similar experiences with them as you did at the Pens' game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

A Gladiator themed analysis of tonight's game (I just watched it last night, I can't help it)...

Let's hope tonight, that the Bruins play a solid consistent two-way hockey game, no need to unleash hell, just simple and consistent. The type of game that shows that what they do in the regular season echoes in the playoffs and begs the question, are we not entertained? Are WE not entertained!?

Let's frikkin go Bruins!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Nothing worse than a Leaf fan.