Game 6 SCF: Blackhawks at Bruins GDT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Game 6 SCF: Blackhawks at Bruins GDT

The Bruins have been in this position before. Two years ago, they returned to TD Garden for Game Six of the Stanley Cup Final, trailing the Vancouver Canucks, three games to two. The Black & Gold came out firing in that game and took down the Canucks, 5-2, forcing a seventh game back in Vancouver, in which they won, 4-0, to take home their first Stanley Cup in 39 years.

Tonight, the Bruins will be trying to conjure up some of that magic once again and force a seventh game at United Center in Chicago on Wednesday night. “We could all take some experience from that and realize that, to win this game, we’ve got to make sure we leave everything on the ice, we play our best," said Brad Marchand, who scored en route to the Game Six win in 2011. "That’s what we did last time so hopefully we can do the same tomorrow."

“It’s a different team, different situation but we’ve been here before. I think we have a bit of confidence but, at the same time, they’re a very resilient team. They’ve played great so far. They played good last time they were in our building so we’ve got to make sure we realize that and we don’t take it for granted.”

Nathan Horton, who was knocked out of the 2011 Cup Final in Game Three after taking a vicious hit from Aaron Rome, did not have the chance to play in the do-or-die scenario two years ago. But he knows the Bruins must take things one game at a time.

“Not give them too much, but I think the big picture is just win two games,” said Horton on the team’s mindset heading into Game Six. “We concentrate on one at a time. Like everyone says, we are at home. It’s obviously a must-win and we all know that the fourth game is the hardest to get and we are going to make it as hard as we can.“We are not done yet. Like I said, only two more games. We’ve got to win two games. That’s what we are looking at.”

Over the years, the Bruins have seemingly played their best hockey when pushed to the brink. This postseason has been no different. In their lone elimination game, Game Seven of the first round against Toronto, the B’s pulled off the greatest third period comeback in history, by scoring three goals in the final 12 minutes to tie the game and eventually win, 5-4, in overtime.

Horton had no explanation for why the Bruins play so well in the most desperate of times.

“It just kind of happens that way,” said Horton. “Obviously, we would have wanted to win [Saturday] night. That’s the kind of character we have in our room. When our backs are against the wall, we show up. Like I said, we play for the guy next to you and we all know what we have to do now. We can’t lose and we’ve got to come to play.”

SPECIAL TEAMS: For the second time this postseason, and for the first time since Game 3 against the New York Rangers, the Bruins did not have a power play opportunity in Game Five. They are 11-for-59 on the power play this postseason (18.6%).

The Bruins killed off both of Chicago power plays in the game and they are now 61-for-69 on the penalty kill during the playoffs (88.4%).

The Blackhawks are 8-for-68 on the power play (11.8%).

BETWEEN THE PIPES: Both Tuukka Rask and Corey Crawford rebounded from a Game 4 shootout and played well in Game 5. Rask made 29 saves and still leads the NHL this postseason with a 1.83 GAA and a .941 save percentage. Crawford recorded 24 saves in Game 5.

Puck drop: 8 p.m. Records: Blackhawks 3-2, Bruins 2-3

Projected Blackhawks lineup:

Bryan Bickell-Jonathan Toews-Patrick Kane
    Patrick Sharp-Michal Handzus-Marian Hossa
    Brandon Saad-Andrew Shaw-Viktor Stalberg
    Marcus Kruger-Dave Bolland-Michael Frolik

Duncan Keith-Brent Seabrook
    Johnny Oduya-Niklas Hjalmarsson
    Nick Leddy-Michal Rozsival

Corey Crawford
    Ray Emery

Healthy scratches: Daniel Carcillo, Jamal Mayers, Brandon Bollig, Ben Smith, Ryan Stanton

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Carl Soderberg-Rich Peverley-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Johnny Boychuk
    Andrew Ference-Dennis Seidenberg
    Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Wade Redden, Aaron Johnson, Kaspars Daugavins, Jay Pandolfo, Jordan Caron

Storylines: Jonathan Toews was limited in Game 5 after taking a wicked wallop from Johnny Boychuk. Joel Quenneville said Toews was feeling better Sunday. We’ll assume that Toews will be in tonight’s lineup … The Bruins might have to break up the Zdeno Chara-Dennis Seidenberg pairing again tonight. The two were split for Saturday’s third period. While they haven’t been totally at fault for the goals against, the results have been awful… Wes McCauley and Dan O’Halloran will be the referees. Pierre Racicot and Jay Sharrers will be the linesmen."

No excuses!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Game 6 SCF: Blackhawks at Bruins GDT

We've seen what this team can do when it's been pushed to the raggedy edge.  Let's hope we see some more tonight!

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Here we go Bruins, here we go!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

I can't wait ..I expect a great effort, the bruins will bring it tonight.

This is why we watch hockey for great games like this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,

im really looking fwd to your last game day thread on thursday.   I cant wait for tonights game.  A fast hard start is a must.  And stay outta the box.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

lambda stole my retro bruins chant so i will join him.  Here we go bruins here we go!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

San,

im really looking fwd to your last game day thread on thursday.   I cant wait for tonights game.  A fast hard start is a must.  And stay outta the box. 

There will be another game day thread Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]San,

There will be another game day thread Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Yes Wednesday Night!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Feeling positive about tonight. Think the Hawks feel they'll take it tonight. Time to think again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The time for talking has passed.

It is now time to skate the skate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

3 Game 7 elimination games in 2011...down 4-2 in game 7 this year at home with less than 2 minutes to go... Bruins very resilient in these type of situations , . 4th Game is always the hardest to win ...  I expect Bruins to come out guns a blazing and storm Crawford from the start... Biggest disappointment in Game 5 was the lack of offensive pressure in Chicago end to force Crawford into difficult saves.. Build on the 3rd period in Game 5 where they outplayed Chicago and we go back for Game 7... LET'S GO BRUINS!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

If the B's give it their all & play their best there's no way they don't win. Expect Marchand & Seguin to get it together offensively.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

If any team can come back and win facing this situation, it is the Bruins.  They are pretty beat up but the Hawks have some guys hurting too. Tonight is the big game because there is no fatigue or pain if you get to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.  It is one game and andrenaline will get you through it.  If the Bruins pull it off tonight I think they have a decent chance of winning game 7 in the Madhouse, except the fans in Chicago will be mad for a different reason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

3 Game 7 elimination games in 2011...down 4-2 in game 7 this year at home with less than 2 minutes to go... Bruins very resilient in these type of situations , . 4th Game is always the hardest to win ...  I expect Bruins to come out guns a blazing and storm Crawford from the start... Biggest disappointment in Game 5 was the lack of offensive pressure in Chicago end to force Crawford into difficult saves.. Build on the 3rd period in Game 5 where they outplayed Chicago and we go back for Game 7... LET'S GO BRUINS!!!!!

I agree about game 5 never really tested Crawford..They did not get many shots  on his glove. If you watch him he keeps his glove hi a lot of the goals they scored actually went under his glove.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Score the first goal every goal we score they need 2.  I will get in on the chant. Here we go BRUINS here we go. Here we go BRUINS here we go. Go BRUINS!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

San,

Yes! Here's to a fast start and shut-down "D". Here's to Sandog's game day thread on Thursday! Go BRUINS!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Feeling positive about tonight. Think the Hawks feel they'll take it tonight. Time to think again.

Indeed. When i feel this good that"s when i get worried. My friend use to say the pitcher feels great in the bullpen then when he gets pounded.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

The time for talking has passed.

It is now time to skate the skate.

NOT worried about game 7 could careless about game 7, only worried about tonight. Not worried about winning 2 in a row, shift by shift and we need rask solid tonight. I think Milan Lucic is going to be a beast tonight. He needs to keep that head up and keep trucking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I do not want it to end, then i will have to get ready to go to the player developmental camp day @ Wilmington on July 5,6,7 thats what it said in Kevin Paul Duponts article on June 16. They need to win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Let's not forget that tonight will be the final game in Boston this season.  The crowd will be insane.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I'm all for moving Soderberg up to the thrid line with Pallie and Seguin and moving Kelly down to the 4th....Kelly has being skaitng really hard these past few games on the third line though....I hope to see some earlier bounce from the Bruins instead of starting slow....Let's go Bruinsssss !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Biggest disappointment in Game 5 was the lack of offensive pressure in Chicago end to force Crawford into difficult saves.. Build on the 3rd period in Game 5 where they outplayed Chicago and we go back for Game 7... LET'S GO BRUINS!!!!!

Totally agree here and it will be much easier once Toews is on the bench. I want him out of this game early. Crawford needs to feel very uncomfortable all game, pepper "no glove"!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

lambda stole my retro bruins chant so i will join him.  Here we go bruins here we go!  

It was the first I ever heard at the Fleet Center.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to watchtower's comment:

[QUOTE]

San,

Yes! Here's to a fast start and shut-down "D". Here's to Sandog's game day thread on Thursday! Go BRUINS!

[/QUOTE]

Dammmm straight.  Place will be rocking.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

I'm all for moving Soderberg up to the thrid line with Pallie and Seguin and moving Kelly down to the 4th....Kelly has being skaitng really hard these past few games on the third line though....I hope to see some earlier bounce from the Bruins instead of starting slow....Let's go Bruinsssss !!

At this point, I'd be okay with moving SEIdeNberg to the third line with Paille and Seguin.  It's not like Seguin would score less!

(just joking, of course.  Mark the uncomfortable laughter before Game 6.)

Sections
Shortcuts