Game 76: Bruins @ Detroit GDT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Game 76: Bruins @ Detroit GDT

BRUINS (52-17-6) AT RED WINGS (35-26-14) TV: NBCSN, RDS, TSN2

Last 10: Boston 9-0-1; Detroit 6-3-1

Season series: The Detroit Red Wings have won two of the first three games against the Boston Bruins, most recently a 6-1 victory Nov. 27 at Joe Louis Arena. The Red Wings also won 3-2 on Oct. 14 at TD Garden, nine days after losing 4-1 in Boston.

The Detroit Red Wings will be without forwards Daniel Alfredsson and Pavel Datsyuk when they face the Boston Bruins on Wednesday (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN, TSN2, RDS). Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told reporters in Detroit that Alfredsson is day to day with an unspecified injury. Alfredsson is third on the team with 17 goals and 45 points in 63 games

Big story: The Red Wings (84 points) swept both ends of a back-to-back set this past weekend to move into the first Stanley Cup Playoffs wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference. Prior to those wins, they'd lost three in a row and were on the verge of being bumped from the second wild-card position by either the Washington Capitals or Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Bruins (110 points) are leading for the Presidents' Trophy after going 15-0-1 since a 4-2 loss to the Capitals on March.

Team Scope: Bruins: After their season-high 12-game winning streak ended with a shootout loss to the Montreal Canadiens, the Bruins have won three straight games, meaning they have points in their past 16 games. Boston has won nine straight road games and earned points in 16 straight contests away from TD Garden, both of which are franchise records.

Talk is turning toward resting some lineup regulars for the playoffs. Forwards Jarome Iginla, Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci and Loui Eriksson, and defenseman Zdeno Chara did not participate on an optional practice Tuesday and are candidates to get some time off soon. The Bruins also recalled forward Ryan Spooner on an emergency basis from Providence of the American Hockey League. "It’s hard to watch games, and I just really enjoy playing the games," Iginla, who was named the NHL's First Star for March, told Jess Isner of Bruins.com. "With the standings and where we’re at right now, I think it’s pretty cool, too, that we’re being able to play these games that mean stuff down the road or currently, whereas some teams that clinch, you can’t move up or whatever in the standings. It’s like all of our games may be meaningful, and I think that’s a good thing going into the playoffs."

Red Wings: They might have put a little distance between themselves and those chasing a wild-card spot, but the Red Wings can't afford to breathe easily if they want to secure their 23rd straight playoff appearance. Helping the cause of late has been the return of injured regulars back into the lineup. 

"It’s great to see him out on the ice skating and being part of practices,” forward Daniel Alfredsson said, according to Bill Roose of RedWings.com. “We feel that we’re playing pretty consistent hockey right now and getting a guy with his experience and his offensive abilities, among other things, will be a big boost for this team."

Who's hot: Bruins center Patrice Bergeron, the NHL's Second Star of the Week, extended his career-high goal streak to seven games by scoring during a 4-3 shootout victory Sunday against the Philadelphia Flyers. … Detroit forward Gustav Nyquist has scored a goal in eight of the past nine games and continues to carry the bulk of offensive load for the injury-strapped Red Wings.

Injury report: Bruins center Krejci is battling a sore throat. Boston is also without defensemen Dennis Seidenberg (knee) and Adam McQuaid (leg). ... Detroit will be without captain Henrik Zetterberg (back), center Stephen Weiss (hernia), defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (finger fracture), forward Daniel Cleary (knee) and forward Mikael Samuelsson (shoulder)."

"The Detroit Red Wings will be without forwards Daniel Alfredsson and Pavel Datsyuk when they face the Boston Bruins on Wednesday"

@NHLBruins 

#TuukkaTime expected tonight in Detroit, as Rask the first goalie off. Krejci (sore throat), Soderberg (wife expecting) appear good to go for tonight. Spooner getting into lineup depends on their availability ^CS"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Game 76: Bruins @ Detroit GDT

I guess as long as Bergy covers Nyquist things should be stifled, you can't count on Helm to get a hattrick every night. Can you?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Nyquist is the reason the patchwork Detroit Red Wings are on the verge of making the playoffs for a 23rd straight season. They are coming with a couple of big wins, the latest over TB with Helm riding a hot stick.

It will be Smith vs. Smith. Reilly vs. Brendon. Babcook will have the boys lose and ready. Who will be in net?  Howard or the Monster... Does it matter?

Its time they hit a brick wall to give them something to think about. …GO BRUINS

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I'm sure the B's want to help the Lerfs out, wouldn't they?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

We beat Washington a couple times for them and Jersey recently. Now we will work on Detroit. How many favors can we give them. We could bring up half the baby b's for Thursday's game with them and see if they can do anything then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Detroit is certainly playing better than I thought they would. I still think if they make it in they bow out in the first round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Seeing how it could be us that they play. We will make them bow out come what may:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Its a credit to the Wings that they have managed to stay in the race but it won't surprise me if they bow out in the end.Their remaining schedule has Bos/Pitt/St.L/Mon and Buf twice and Carolina.While their remaining schedule isn't overwhelming, it isn't a cakewalk either.It will be interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

True, Datsyuk will be back soon but at what capacity? Do you mean there is still hope for Toronto.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:

True, Datsyuk will be back soon but at what capacity? Do you mean there is still hope for Toronto.......

So your saying there's a chance.....!?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Well I already figured they were toast a while back but lets play it out a little. Lets say they win 4 of 5 remaining games. - not likley. Detroit wins 3 of 7 and Columbus wins only 3 of 7 with the last 4 on the road but they pick up a Regulation point along the way that puts all 3 teams at 90pts with TO still on the out side with a lower ROW.... A chance? Mathimatically but no not a chance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I'd rather TO in the playoffs over any other team. I thought Detroit was done last year, and they upset the Ducks in Round 1 and took Chicago to the max in round 2. 

Go Bruins Go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

This Detroit team has been terrific on offense lately, even without Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  Both are gone tonight, as is Alfredsson.  Howard has been very inconsistent, the backup has actually been quite good.

Their weakness is their D, very turnover-prone and they fail to cover the man properly in front of the net.  Smith is an excellent offensive defenseman, but is awful in his own end.  If you get hit by Kronwall on one of his fraight train charges, you will wish it was Orpik.

I'm glad everyone thinks Detroit would be easy in the playoffs. Reminds me of that Washington overconfidence matchup a couple years ago.  The B's have lost 6 of 7 to this team because they match up terribly for some reason, and I dont know what it is.  Maybe because they are all speed and skill and no hitting? Kinda like Montreal with more weapons and less diving.

If the Bs think Nyquist and Helm are the only 2 goal scorers and forget Franzen, Jurco, Sheahan, Tatar, and the rest of their kids they will be making a mistake. Glendening is Marchand 2.0.  I wouldnt put too much stock in the result of this game one way or the other... too many peripheral factors...but Detroit will have even more weapons at playoff time, and this is the last team I want to see first round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I wouldnt put too much stock in the result of this game one way or the other."

I'll bet you will if the Bruins lose tonight like the last game Boston played in Detroit.

"but Detroit will have even more weapons at playoff time, and this is the last team I want to see first round."

We'll keep an eye for your team when Boston is playing Columbus or Toronto. I'm sure you'll remind everyone how awesome the Bruins are after they lose their first playoff game though. Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Every nhl organization should take a page from the detroit handbook. ... best  by far in the last 15 -20years

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"I wouldnt put too much stock in the result of this game one way or the other."

I'll bet you will if the Bruins lose tonight like the last game Boston played in Detroit.

"but Detroit will have even more weapons at playoff time, and this is the last team I want to see first round."

We'll keep an eye for your team when Boston is playing Columbus or Toronto. I'm sure you'll remind everyone how awesome the Bruins are after they lose their first playoff game though. Wink

You got it Sandog,then he has an out if the Wings lose but if the Wings win i'm sure we'll be reminded of it down the road,something along the lines of "fast teams this & fast teams that".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

This Detroit team has been terrific on offense lately, even without Datsyuk and Zetterberg.  Both are gone tonight, as is Alfredsson.  Howard has been very inconsistent, the backup has actually been quite good.

Their weakness is their D, very turnover-prone and they fail to cover the man properly in front of the net.  Smith is an excellent offensive defenseman, but is awful in his own end.  If you get hit by Kronwall on one of his fraight train charges, you will wish it was Orpik.

I'm glad everyone thinks Detroit would be easy in the playoffs. Reminds me of that Washington overconfidence matchup a couple years ago.  The B's have lost 6 of 7 to this team because they match up terribly for some reason, and I dont know what it is.  Maybe because they are all speed and skill and no hitting? Kinda like Montreal with more weapons and less diving.

If the Bs think Nyquist and Helm are the only 2 goal scorers and forget Franzen, Jurco, Sheahan, Tatar, and the rest of their kids they will be making a mistake. Glendening is Marchand 2.0.  I wouldnt put too much stock in the result of this game one way or the other... too many peripheral factors...but Detroit will have even more weapons at playoff time, and this is the last team I want to see first round.

agree. I'd like to see the B's play anybody but Detroit in the 1st Round.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Well, I thought Washington was a really bad option that year for a variety of reasons, but Detroit is not quite as bad of a matchup this year. The Bruins depth, specifically with all the hungry new blood, will most likely not allow a first round exit regardless of the opponent, and of the outcome tonight.

I expect them to win, in typical workmanlike fashion, with Reilly Smith getting 2 goals... but if it turns into a puck luck one bounce wins it game, it won't indicate much for the playoffs. And if the Bruins are dominated all over the ice and lose by 3, I'll reconsider my position.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jerrynewyork's comment:

agree. I'd like to see the B's play anybody but Detroit in the 1st Round.

Jerry,to win the Cup you have to beat good teams,any team can pose a problem and that can be as simple as having a hot goaltender,ask any past B's teams about their 1st round exits.That being said i think the Bruins can beat any team in the 1st round over a 7 game series,they are that good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Re: Game 76: Bruins @ Detroit

Its hard to say how bos would fare vs det. It depends if Dat and Zet would come back.  Det goali not close to ours . Theyre a solid team that play smart hockey.  I think iys more of their mystique that may be cause for concern.  Realistically Bruins measure very well vs det and bruins would take it but it would be a long series. 

As I mentioned Don't want mtl. Not this year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

Its hard to say how bos would fare vs det. It depends if Dat and Zet would come back.  Det goali not close to ours . Theyre a solid team that play smart hockey.  I think iys more of their mystique that may be cause for concern.  Realistically Bruins measure very well vs det and bruins would take it but it would be a long series. 

The Scabs won't get by Tampa,no worries.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to marco0863's comment:

The Scabs won't get by Tampa,no worries.

U might be very right... Tb is the type of team that may very well beat them.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Just taking it game by game now and hoping to avoid injuries...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

Dam, the game is blacked out here in montreal on game centre and my computer is not booting.

does anyone know how to get the game on an iPad?

Thanks in advance

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

Dam, the game is blacked out here in montreal on game centre and my computer is not booting.

does anyone know how to get the game on an iPad?

Thanks in advance

Maybe try NBC? Or is it NBCsn.

Sections
Shortcuts