Game 77: Bruins @ Lerfs GDT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Game 77: Bruins @ Lerfs GDT

BRUINS (52-18-6) at MAPLE LEAFS (37-32-8)  TV: TSN, RDS2, NESN Last 10: Boston 8-1-1; Toronto 2-8-0

Season series: The Boston Bruins have defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs in two of three games, all played by mid-January. A 4-3 win Jan. 14 was the Maple Leafs' first against the Bruins since Game 6 of the 2013 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.

"There's a level of desperation that goes into it from our standpoint when you play teams of that caliber, you have to be on the top of your game," Toronto coach Randy Carlyle said Wednesday. "You have to be playing at your highest level."

Big story: Toronto will be trying to win two in a row for the first time since a three-game streak from March 5-10. The Maple Leafs ended an eight-game losing streak with a 3-2 win against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday. "It's a lot better feeling in the room today, coming in here," forward Tyler Bozak said. "There's a little more life. It's nice to get that first one; hopefully we can go on a roll here."

Toronto is one point behind the Columbus Blue Jackets for the second Eastern Conference wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs, having played two more games.

Team Scope: Bruins: Boston, which lost 3-2 at the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, is planning to rest players prior to the start of the playoffs. It started Wednesday when forward Jarome Iginla was scratched, and is likely to continue with road games and back-to-back situations, which is how the Bruins close the regular season.

The Bruins lead the Pittsburgh Penguins by nine points for the top seed in the Eastern Conference. The Bruins would clinch the top record in the East if they defeat the Maple Leafs in any fashion and the Penguins lose to the Jets in any fashion, or if they get one point against the Maple Leafs and the Penguins lose to the Jets in regulation.

Boston is 13-2-0 in the second game of a back-to-back after going 12-3-1 in the opener. The Bruins had won nine straight road games and have earned a point in 16 of 17 games (15-1-1).

Forward Carl Soderberg could leave the team to be with his wife for the birth of their child. Goalie Chad Johnson could play after Tuukka Rask made 17 saves Wednesday.

Maple Leafs: After ending its losing streak, Toronto had an optional practice Wednesday.

"It was nice coming in here, getting some rest, just a stretch and a little workout," defenseman Jake Gardiner said. "It was nice getting that win and getting the rewards from it." Carlyle had a more practical reason for the light day.

"It's not so much of a reward," he said. "I think it's more about, we've got some banged-up bodies. [It's] more about saving some energy for the game tomorrow night. We just felt that this would be the best avenue to take today."

Goalie Jonathan Bernier will start.

Who's hot: Bergeron had an assist Wednesday, but his seven-game goal streak ended; he had 11 goals and seven assists in March. Defenseman Dougie Hamilton has seven points in his past seven games. Soderberg has five in his past four. … Maple Leafs forward Jay McClement and defenseman Cody Franson each has a two-game point streak. Forward David Bolland has two goals in his past three games. Gardiner has eight points in his past eight games.

Injury report: Bruins forward David Krejci (sore throat) played Wednesday. … Maple Leafs defenseman Paul Ranger (upper body) played Tuesday after missing five games. Forward Phil Kessel (foot) continues to play despite needing X-rays Saturday."

The delusion of Lufa fan: Brought to you by TSN comment section

chelch

"Boston lost last night because they sat back and tried to save energy for tonight. They are scared of the Leafs after almost losing to them last year. They will give all they have tonight to try and knock them out so they don't have to face them 1st round"

Embedded image permalink

Strike up the band. Carlyle requests the song "desperation" please!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Game 77: Bruins @ Lerfs GDT

Nail, meet coffin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Phaneuf will finish a minus 9 tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

On one hand, there is a tiny piece of me that wants the Laffs to grab the 8th seed so the B's can waltz over them in 2 weeks.

On the other hand...screw that. Into the mud, Scum Queen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If the Bruins win and the 'Jackets beat the Flyers, the Loafs will be three points out with only 8 points on the table - and the 'Jackets hold the tiebreaker.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Bruins win and the 'Jackets beat the Flyers, the Loafs will be three points out with only 8 points on the table - and the 'Jackets hold the tiebreaker.

[/QUOTE]

Will be a tough task for the Jackets as the Flyers want home ice for the 1st round against the Rags plus the Jackets are breathing down the Flyers neck for third in the division,should be a good one,maybe Bob will stone the Flayers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Much rather play the Leafs than the Wings. I'll be  in section 324 tonight in  my #17.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Could be two nails in the coffin from the Bs in back to back nights. Giving 2 pts to Detroit and taking 2 from Toronto. Love it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Don't give the Laffs false hope by leeting them win 2 in a row.  It's cruel.

Beat them and put them out of their misery.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Speaking of Bruins 15-0-1 run Kadri says” That’s history, that stuff’s already happened and we’re living in the present right now,”

Kadri sickens me Let's demolish them tonight. No Mercy. Time for a Soderberg Hat trick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Huge game for the Leafs tonight, every game is like a playoff game for them. B's did them no favors by losing to the wings, now a loss pretty much ends their slim hopes. I would think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Would love to see the frown on pumpkin face Carlysle if they lose tonight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How long before this turns into a #81 thread tonight?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And the Jackets have two games in hand...right...?

Also, I think Kadri is right that the past 16 matchups have nothing to do with the game tonight.  Except that, they are still an inferior team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How long before this turns into a #81 thread tonight?

[/QUOTE]

Well, I do remember hearing from the peanut gallery about what an elite player he is.

Kessell this, Seguin that...blahblahblah.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The B's may be mailing in some efforts given their scenario, but I will enjoy watching that clown car s#itshow the Leafs call a defensive zone coverage.  

Always a delight watching the over-rotations, blown coverages, and general scrambling in that defensive zone, while a few indifferent forwards coast along the blueline like toursists at the museum of scrapbooking. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The B's may be mailing in some efforts given their scenario, but I will enjoy watching that clown car s#itshow the Leafs call a defensive zone coverage.  

Always a delight watching the over-rotations, blown coverages, and general scrambling in that defensive zone, while a few indifferent forwards coast along the blueline like toursists at the museum of scrapbooking. 

[/QUOTE]

They've been outshot by over 600 shots this year!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^ Money !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:[QUOTE]

Always a delight watching the over-rotations, blown coverages, and general scrambling in that defensive zone, while a few indifferent forwards coast along the blueline like toursists at the museum of scrapbooking.  [/QUOTE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJICxdi6nE

And it all looks coordinated when shown in slow motion like the Caddyshack Pool Ballet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would love to see the frown on pumpkin face Carlysle if they lose tonight.

[/QUOTE]

Me too! Used to think he was a decent coach, but any coach who throws his meal ticket (Reimer) under the bus the way he did. Has shi t for brains! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackcrowes. Show blackcrowes's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a fantastic post. The Leafs will forever be known as the "clown car s#itshow" in my house. Done and done. Thanks!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

It's been awhile since we had a Sox/Bruins NESN scheduling conflict. Wanted to remind the Maine crew that NESNplusHD is channel 700 (unmarked) on Time Warner Cable. Trying to help avoid any 7:25 pm panic. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't believe I've never seen this, or some version of it, before. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

No Yeti tonight, but no problem, cause Caron's in. About time for that stiff to score, no?

Sections
Shortcuts