Game 8 Fluto's Back: Bruins vs Buffalo - Game day thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Game 8 Fluto's Back: Bruins vs Buffalo - Game day thread

By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff

The Bruins will play the down-and-out Sabres in Buffalo on Wednesday. They will return to host San Jose, the NHL’s only undefeated team, the following night.The schedule just screams for a letdown against the Sabres.

“The most prudent thing to do right now is look at yourself and understand how important that game is, because we’re coming back the next night to play a team that’s undefeated in a back-to-back,” coach Claude Julien said. “We know they’re already here. You’ve got to try and earn those points when you feel you can. Buffalo is a game we can’t let get away from us. We’ve got to come out hard. In this league, the thing that’s most dangerous is when you take things for granted. We can’t.”

It’s possible that Chad Johnson could make his Bruins debut against the Sabres. Johnson has backed up Tuukka Rask for the first seven games. Jordan Caron and Matt Bartkowski, healthy scratches for Saturday’s 5-0 win over Tampa Bay, will most likely remain out.

Today’s practice lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Jarome Iginla
    Reilly Smith-Patrice Bergeron-Loui Eriksson
    Carl Soderberg-Chris Kelly-Brad Marchand/Jordan Caron
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Johnny Boychuk
    Dennis Seidenberg-Dougie Hamilton
    Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid
    Matt Bartkowski

Tuukka Rask
    Chad Johnson

* The Bruins practiced their power play. The first unit was the same: Torey Krug and David Krejci at the point, Jarome Iginla at the left circle, Milan Lucic down low, Zdeno Chara in front.

* The second unit had Dougie Hamilton and Reilly Smith at the blue line. Patrice Bergeron, Loui Eriksson, and Carl Soderberg were the down-low forwards.

* Gregory Campbell stayed late on the ice after practice working on draws with assistant coach Doug Jarvis. Campbell is the only center who's lost more faceoffs (44.4 percent) than he's won."

At least resident PP guru Ward took Campbell of the powerplay. I like the 2nd unit, I think Smith earned it.

Yah Thornton!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Game 8 Fluto's Back: Bruins vs Buffalo - Game day thread

I like Campbell alot. One of the best 4th line centermen in the game. But I hope to never, ever see him on the powerplay again. I don't really fault CJ much for rolling him out there once in a while. The logic must be that he can't do much worse than the regulars. But he is worse than the regulars and if that logic prevails it means the pp is sucko again. Fire Ward! Or at least reasign him to latrine duty or something.

Looking forward to seeing Soderberg/Kelly/Marchand line for some inexplicable reason. Also, I think Iginla gets his 1st tonight!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Miller-Lucic 2: this time, it's personal....

Campbell ends up on PP2 when they have 30 seconds left before the end of then penalty. He's there to retrieve the puck, which he does pretty well, and hey, let's not forget that Campbell went 2-3-5 playing with Jagr over three games last year.  He can be less of a liability than some skilled players who can't win battles to retrieve the puck on the boards or who take useless, unscreened shots from above the circles (coughSeguincough).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Johnson gets the start.  10-7 Bruins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Sheesh, enough with the Sabres Bruins rivalry junk.

I don't consider them rivals any more than any other team in the division or east of the Mississippi river.

I hate this hype over nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree that this one has letdown-game written all over it.  They may need some rivalry nonsense just to get going tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I absolutely hate it when the tone of all the articles on the game are about how it should be a cakewalk. Ugh. I don't believe in jinxes - just find that it over looks the random nature of the game at times.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Used to be a pretty good rivalry, heck they even met in the playoffs a couple years ago.  Seems like a lifetme ago when Park scored that Game 7 winner.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That's because it was, hang.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

meh

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha I just did the math...30 years.  Ouch I was at that game!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

meh

[/QUOTE]

What? I was 7 when he scored that goal - any Bruins fan under 30 wasn't alive yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:[QUOTE]

Johnson gets the start.  10-7 Bruins. [/QUOTE]

Hoping that isn't the final score of tonights World Series game. I already chewed all my nails down to the nub during the ALCS.

Rivalry or not I think the Sabres get up for the game. Of course Vanek will score and give Boston all kinds of problems all night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Looks like Scott the gorilla is in the lineup:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=21808&navid=nhl:topheads

Yikes.

Also, look at the "projected lineup" for the B's in the link. Missing anyone you know? Good job NHL.com......lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

What? I was 7 when he scored that goal - any Bruins fan under 30 wasn't alive yet.

[/QUOTE]

What I meant was I don't think the rivalry between the Bruins and Sabres isn't any more than, and I would argue less than the rivalry v. the Rangers, Leafs, or Flyers.

I guess I believe that there really is one one team that are rivals to the Bruins, whatever the name of that team is up a little north of Plattsburg.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Campbell alot. One of the best 4th line centermen in the game. But I hope to never, ever see him on the powerplay again. I don't really fault CJ much for rolling him out there once in a while. The logic must be that he can't do much worse than the regulars. But he is worse than the regulars and if that logic prevails it means the pp is sucko again. Fire Ward! Or at least reasign him to latrine duty or something.

Looking forward to seeing Soderberg/Kelly/Marchand line for some inexplicable reason. Also, I think Iginla gets his 1st tonight!

[/QUOTE]

PJ the axeless come to mind

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that this one has letdown-game written all over it.  They may need some rivalry nonsense just to get going tonight.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the dancing clowns will get the tempo going if the game is a bust

GOAT!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to KMCI's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PJ is closer to Campbell than to Soderberg if that's what you're getting at - and that's stretching it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"(coughIginlacough)"

I think Jarome does finally get off the snide. Time to break out ol man!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"(coughIginlacough)"

I think Jarome does finally get off the snide. Time to break out ol man!

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, this is standard Iginla fare starting a season like this. He will catch fire soon enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to KMCI's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because Soderberg showed some great signs last game, and the 3rd line looked like the best unit on the ice all night - imo. Thrilled with this combo. It's been a long long time since the 3rd line looked dangerous.

I like it a lot

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sheesh, enough with the Sabres Bruins rivalry junk.

I don't consider them rivals any more than any other team in the division or east of the Mississippi river.

I hate this hype over nothing.

[/QUOTE]

I know, but NBCSports is promoting this Wednesday Night Rivalry night all season long.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]

"(coughIginlacough)"

I think Jarome does finally get off the snide. Time to break out ol man! [/QUOTE]

To be fair, this is standard Iginla fare starting a season like this. He will catch fire soon enough. [/QUOTE]

Fair...Smair...Iginla is getting looks and needs to start scoring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like Scott the gorilla is in the lineup:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=21808&navid=nhl:topheads

Yikes.

Also, look at the "projected lineup" for the B's in the link. Missing anyone you know? Good job NHL.com......lol.

[/QUOTE]

I miss when the bruins aren't playing.  Glad they are playing tonight. Been posting on the patriot board as well. I can walk and chew gum at the same time

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hangnail's comment:[QUOTE]

Johnson gets the start.  10-7 Bruins. [/QUOTE]

Hoping that isn't the final score of tonights World Series game. I already chewed all my nails down to the nub during the ALCS.

Rivalry or not I think the Sabres get up for the game. Of course Vanek will score and give Boston all kinds of problems all night.

[/QUOTE]

I've been peeking I can't lie I'm guilty as well lol

Sections
Shortcuts