Get Down on your Knees and Pray

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Get Down on your Knees and Pray

And then get up and stop the pucks from going in the net.

Ugh.  Rask drives me mad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Re: Get Down on your Knees and Pray

...we won't get fooled again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I wonder how many of NAS's posts actually mean anything? Wasted time at the keyboard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

But that other Bruins' goalie is a stand-up Jaques Plante clone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

In Response to Get Down on your Knees and Pray:
    And then get up and stop the pucks from going in the net. Ugh.  Rask drives me mad.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yay , another complaint ! Maybe when Stanley becomes GM he'll fire Essensa and hire you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Get Down on your Knees and Pray:
    And then get up and stop the pucks from going in the net. Ugh.  Rask drives me mad.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Show me one goalie, today, who doesn't play the same way. Every goalie is on their knees. That is the nature of goaltending today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Good one davinator i was also thinking about The Who. That is how i came with my post name and Terry Orielly my favorite Bruin along a few others but definetly 24 X 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Whatever works NAS......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

NAS - You must be middle-aged or older. Almost without exception, the folks who complain about Rask's style are in my age group or older (i.e. mid-forties). I have 2 teenage goalies in my house. My son's goalie coach who is recently out of college preaches a style that is much like Rask's. My daughter's coach is constantly coaching her to stay up more. He is about 50. This is a consistent theme within the circle of people I know when we discuss this. Does anyone else find this to be true?

I figure what works, works but I have to admit I did yell at the TV last night on one ocassion for Rask to GET UP!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Get Down on your Knees and Pray:
    But that other Bruins' goalie is a stand-up Jaques Plante clone.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Ok, I give up. What is that avatar a photo of?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

The cry in the 70's and 80's was for stand up goalies. The feeling was if you weren't on your feet, you couldn't move to get the puck stopped. Now everyone except maybe TT and Brodeur is a butterfly goalie. On your knees, force the shooters to lift it, and stop anything along the ice. With the curved blades, everyone is shooting high anyway. Top corners were always the best place to shoot if you had a clear shot. Bounce it off the pads if you don't.
    Rask lost his net several times last night, especially on the 2nd goal. Not much he could do about the first one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

...we won't get fooled again!
    Posted by Davinator

I was thinking "Hope the puck wont go in again!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So much of Rask's style is staying vertical and playing the angle - not just the side to side angle but the angle of ascent on a shot.  He's not going to pop up to make the save on a puck going over his shoulder, so he's got to make it as hard as possible to get the puck both over him and under the bar.  That, and he has to use his trapper on longer shots that might go over the shoulder.  Not much he can do against top shelf, blocker side shots.

Plenty of people said Rask would prove himself when teams figured him out, not on his first pass through the league.  Ball's still in his court.  You see teams shooting high on him all the time - everyone and their dog knows that's the hole.

WTL, yeah, I think you're right about the age thing.  If you grew up watching Roy, and then all the Allaire goalies that followed, you probably assumed that was the Way.  All the little equipment cheats followed to help fill the holes the style left vulnerable. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

So much of Rask's style is staying vertical and playing the angle - not just the side to side angle but the angle of ascent on a shot.  He's not going to pop up to make the save on a puck going over his shoulder, so he's got to make it as hard as possible to get the puck both over him and under the bar.  That, and he has to use his trapper on longer shots that might go over the shoulder.  Not much he can do against top shelf, blocker side shots. Plenty of people said Rask would prove himself when teams figured him out, not on his first pass through the league.  Ball's still in his court.  You see teams shooting high on him all the time - everyone and their dog knows that's the hole. WTL, yeah, I think you're right about the age thing.  If you grew up watching Roy, and then all the Allaire goalies that followed, you probably assumed that was the Way.  All the little equipment cheats followed to help fill the holes the style left vulnerable. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

Everyone and their dog try to go high on Rask yet when  he gives up a goal people act like it's such a huge weakness he has.His style (like many others)dictates that if you can make the perfect shot under the crossbar,you can beat him. In his recent 3 game win streak,a couple of players have managed to sneak some by him but,overall,it seems that most players are unable to pull it off.I,for one,can handle when he gives up the odd goal on high shots as long as he continues to take away the entire low portion of the net.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

What is so difficult about teaching these young goalies how to decide when the play determines if butterfly or stand up is the best option for that particular save? My son was always taught to read the play and make that decision based on what he knew about the players he was playing against, what they had done or tried previously, where the players were positioned around/in front of him, etc. He never really latched on to either style, but instead incorporated both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

What is so difficult about teaching these young goalies how to decide when the play determines if butterfly or stand up is the best option for that particular save? My son was always taught to read the play and make that decision based on what he knew about the players he was playing against, what they had done or tried previously, where the players were positioned around/in front of him, etc. He never really latched on to either style, but instead incorporated both.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule

That makes perfect sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

If Rask continues to have a save percentage around .920, it tells me the league is not sucessfully exploiting his known weakness very well. 

I think 95% of NHL goalies get beat in the same 'under crossbar' area as Rask, except they seem to be get beat in other places more often than Rask.

It's frustrating at times because his weakness is predictable, but on the balance I still think he is a very, very good goalie.  No NHL team has a better backup goalie than the Bruins. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

If Rask continues to have a save percentage around .920, it tells me the league is not sucessfully exploiting his known weakness very well.  I think 95% of NHL goalies get beat in the same 'under crossbar' area as Rask, except they seem to be get beat in other places more often than Rask. It's frustrating at times because his weakness is predictable, but on the balance I still think he is a very, very good goalie.  No NHL team has a better backup goalie than the Bruins. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

Just like everyone knows Thomas weakness is the 5 hole. Which has not been exploited like in years past. Every goalie has that one weakness that shows most when he lets in goals. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I wonder if the popularity is based on the fact that the Butterfly is so easy to teach. The fundamentals are pretty easy for anyone to understand, and when working with kids, as most of you know, getting ideas or concepts through to them is not always easy. Plus there is so much visual re-inforcement with them watching games on TV and seeing thier Hero do the samething. It also makes it that much easier to make measurable progress. Therefore you get accolades, and get hired again. 

When I take my girls to Figure Skating, I put them on the ice and go watch the Goaltender Classes. It is all Butterfly. I talked to a parent about it, and questioned why they don't teach anything else, and he didn't have an answer. Now I know this isn't exactly an in-depth assessment of the situation, but it gets me thinking that 

As a goalie growing up, (I was pretty bad) I was always focused on staying on my feet, and moving side to side. Challenge the shooter, play the angles, and deflect the puck into the corners. Once you are down in the butterfly position, it is hard to move fast enough to get back into position if you give up a rebound. 

Maybe that was my problem, too many rebounds!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anacanapana. Show anacanapana's posts

Posted by Hockeymomsrule

I'm with you here, and IMO, this is Marty Brodeur to a T. He's more standup than any other successful goalie still playing - more kick saves and pad stacks - but he also uses the fly when the situation and shooter calls for it.

Like many of you, I wish we'd see more of this hybrid style today, but it'll probably take a couple of new goalies having great success with it to cause others to want to adopt it (T Thomas and Brodeur being so old school, you know). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

If Rask continues to have a save percentage around .920, it tells me the league is not sucessfully exploiting his known weakness very well.  I think 95% of NHL goalies get beat in the same 'under crossbar' area as Rask, except they seem to be get beat in other places more often than Rask. It's frustrating at times because his weakness is predictable, but on the balance I still think he is a very, very good goalie.  No NHL team has a better backup goalie than the Bruins. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

Spot on, as usual, Fletch.  I don't know about anyone else but I have to keep reminding myself Rask is only in his second full year of NHL action.  That said, I'm not excusing those goals that appear stoppable that find their way behind him. 

For whatever the reason, he is not having the kind of year that perhaps even he expected.  For all we know, it might be something small that he is not doing that he did last year. 

I'd also like to think that if teams are taking advantage of something they see in Rask's form this season, that he and the coaching staff would have the foresight to make the necessary adjustments to correct the issue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

You can teach butterly, you can't really teach reaction. I was always good at the reaction work, not so good at technique.

Tim Thomas and Brodeur are naturally gifted goalies. Others are just taught really well and don't have the reaction timing of the great goalies.

Saying that, Rask plays better with more action. Give him more action and he gets better. Sure he's got holes up top, so does every butterfly goalie. The point is to cover up blocker side and have a good glove.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

But that other Bruins' goalie is a stand-up Jaques Plante clone. Posted by SoxFanInIL

2nd Vezina coming you going to where a black arm band when Thomas wins ?...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Get Down on your Knees and Pray : 2nd Vezina coming you going to where a black arm band when Thomas wins ?...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

If memory recalls, Plante is a hall of famer so I consider it a good comparison....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd imagine the biggest thing to teach about the butterfly is exactly that quick lateral movement that lets you recover on deflections and rebounds.  Rask barely lifts a leg to get enough leverage to move around.  It looks like he's on a turntable sometimes.  And that, too, is about getting the angles right - don't lose your net, as someone pointed out at the beginning of the thread.

Sections
Shortcuts