Get Down on your Knees and Pray

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Get Down on your Knees and Pray

In Response to Re: Get Down on your Knees and Pray:
    I'd imagine the biggest thing to teach about the butterfly is exactly that quick lateral movement that lets you recover on deflections and rebounds.  Rask barely lifts a leg to get enough leverage to move around.  It looks like he's on a turntable sometimes.  And that, too, is about getting the angles right - don't lose your net, as someone pointed out at the beginning of the thread.
    Posted by Bookboy007

It's called economy of movement and Rask is very good at it. This is the reason for his success last year.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

The 'Stand-up Goalie' is a thing of the past. The equipment necessitates the style or the style has changed the gear - either way, goaltending's different.

They can do the folding-unfolding chair with their legs from post to post at top speed for hours on end.

They don't even keep their sticks on the ice anymore, it's more of multi-tool.

Maximum flexibility, once for the gifted few, is a given now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Get Down on your Knees and Pray:
    In Response to Re: Get Down on your Knees and Pray : If memory recalls, Plante is a hall of famer so I consider it a good comparison....Posted by jmwalters

You're not detecting the sarcasm and you don't know the history of about 95% of Rask fanboys posts he hates Thomas with extreme passion...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In Response to Get Down on your Knees and Pray:
    And then get up and stop the pucks from going in the net. Ugh.  Rask drives me mad.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Of course he makes you mad, because:

A. You know nothing about goaltending.
         B. You are not smart enough to keep your mouth shut about it.

FYI-the article you googled on "Stand Up Goalies Dominating the NHL" is out of date. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

What I find amusing is how people are only talking about 2 styles. TT isn't butterfly, TT isn't standup, TT isn't a hybrid goalie! His style is his own. One reason why TT always seems like he's making big saves off rebounds & the hi-lite reels is because he's able to do something that's very difficult to do even for great goalies. Being a TT fan I know the feeling a lot of people get sometimes. One of "OMG what the heck was he doing!" He makes a lot our hearts stop when he has possession of the puck. It seems every time he has it becomes quite an adventure.

Take a look at some of TT's biggest saves. What his greatest gift as an athlete that he has is; the ability to swing the momentum of his upper body while the bottom part continues in it's original direction. This is where he gets players scratching their heads. They think they got him moving the wrong way & his momentum is going to continue to do keep him going that way. Then? Well we've seen some great results. He has the ability to do this in an upright position & when he's down.

It's no secret the knock of the butterfly style is to catch the goalie dropping to his knees early. Also, the knock is when you have a Lundquist & a Rask playing the same style? Size. Rask is tall enough, but he's also very skinny. The upper portions of the 4x6 is much more exposed against him. Then if you catch him deep it makes it that much worse. He's at a disadvantage because he doesn't have the same frame size as a Hendrik. So Rask's margine for error becomes that much less. This is why it's important for him to play in games. Rask's game is sycho'd & timed. He can't get this timing down if he's not playing. I think it's perfect how CJ is finally getting him in there more. He's not playing every day, but he's playing enough so that he can actually get in a groove. Lets hope the B's continue to play well enough so that CJ doesn't feel he HAS to go with TT every night.  

Sections
Shortcuts