Getting Ridiculous Now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Getting Ridiculous Now

Seems everyday someone is knocked out of a game because of an illegal hit, we have a pending supsension, then we finally get a big clean hit that isn't thrown by Ovechkin and we have to have the obligatory fight these days, cause those can't be thrown either.
    Of course it's playoff time, so every time the goalie covers the puck we have to have a scrum, all you hear on the ice is sticks smacking other sticks or players and the puck  is bouncing half the time if not more.
    Diving is out of control, players repsect for each other and the game is dwindling, and i see way more of Brendan Shanahan now than I did during his HOF career.

I'd like to see less of this stuff and some more great goals, nice passes, great saves, clean bone crushing hits that dont result in an automatic fight. This stuff still happens, but not nearly as much as it used to and I feel the other stuff is slowly taking it's place.
    That game Sunday between Philly and Pitt should have been one of the better games in recent memory but of course it had to have the dirty hit, a cross check to the face and punch to the back of the head as a result of a clean hit and a player getting his hair pulled.

Far too many good players for the game to be heading in this direction.Get back to playing hockey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

Re: Getting Ridiculous Now

Well being the fact that these guys are bigger, faster, stronger, than ever before any type of bonecrushing hit could cause damage of some sort. This hockey we are seeing now is more cheapshotting than anything else. True there was snakes in the league throughout its history but not so many punks or guys trying to end others careers. I still am mad at big Z for not being suspended last year for his hit on Pax. I love big Z and love his playstyle, but I thought his hit was cheap and deserved a susp. Some of these punks need to be suspended like the good old days. Let them lose paychecks and then they may actually learn. Its to the point now where people are actually considering suspensions for the time of the players injury. Now that my friends is when you know the game is getting out of hand. I agree with ya Kelvana, I miss players having no fear leaping through traffic with reckless abandon, except now  when a guy the size of say Lucic bearing down on you with the ability to not only check you into the glass but also through it. You just wont see too many players willing to give up their bodies in todays game, and the ones that do usually end up on IR.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I can go on and on about what should be a suspension and what not. I will not mention players etc. but just that one of my fav. players is not playing hockey cause of illegal hit from my perspective but not the NHL's perspective.

I can chat in large volumes, is getting repetitive in the NHL and is tainting hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Getting Ridiculous Now:
    Seems everyday someone is knocked out of a game because of an illegal hit, we have a pending supsension, then we finally get a big clean hit that isn't thrown by Ovechkin and we have to have the obligatory fight these days, cause those can't be thrown either. Of course it's playoff time, so every time the goalie covers the puck we have to have a scrum, all you hear on the ice is sticks smacking other sticks or players and the puck  is bouncing half the time if not more. Diving is out of control, players repsect for each other and the game is dwindling, and i see way more of Brendan Shanahan now than I did during his HOF career. I'd like to see less of this stuff and some more great goals, nice passes, great saves, clean bone crushing hits that dont result in an automatic fight. This stuff still happens, but not nearly as much as it used to and I feel the other stuff is slowly taking it's place. That game Sunday between Philly and Pitt should have been one of the better games in recent memory but of course it had to have the dirty hit, a cross check to the face and punch to the back of the head as a result of a clean hit and a player getting his hair pulled. Far too many good players for the game to be heading in this direction.Get back to playing hockey.
    Posted by kelvana33

Further proof of what you're referring to is that when opening up bruins.com this morning the majority of the threads were in regards to dirty hits and plays around the NHL.

Instead of talking about great goals, saves and plays we are left talking about elbows to the head, crosschecking to the face and other attempts at injuring the opponent.

I love hard physical hockey but within the rules. Things have gotten out of hand with dirty play in the playoffs as the years keep passing by.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Getting Ridiculous Now:
    That game Sunday between Philly and Pitt should have been one of the better games in recent memory but of course it had to have the dirty hit, a cross check to the face and punch to the back of the head as a result of a clean hit and a player getting his hair pulled. Far too many good players for the game to be heading in this direction.Get back to playing hockey.
    Posted by kelvana33

Gong show, sure, but the terrible goaltending was a bigger problem in that game than the goofiness.  We've had a back and forth about Fleury for a while now - this is the Fleury I'm thinking about when I say I don't think he's elite.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I posted this on another thread that then died, but I'm curious if others see this point, so...

I have a theory. Of all of the series, the Bruins-Caps is one of the most calm.  Only Jersey v. Florida and Phoenix v. Chicago have had fewer penalty minutes and fewer incidents (Shaw on Smith notwithstanding). I'm stunned that the St. Louis v. SJ series is just as bad for PIMs as the Philly v. Pitt series. There have been 11 game misconducts and 2 match penalties in 25 total games.  

Am I wrong or is there a huge irony in the way this seems to be a consequence of the way the press tried to sell the Bruins's Cup victory as bullying their way to victory? The NHL is a copycat league. When the Ducks won with an army of goons, the story was that teams would need to get bigger to counter the goonery. When Detroit won, no one needed the goons anymore. All we heard last year was that the Bruins bullied their way to a Cup. The Eliot Friedman comment on HNIC was telling - after Bergeron and Savard were both smeared with minimal response from the league, Boston stopped looking for the league to protect players and decided they'd take care of their own. Last year was the result of that all for one mentality.  But that is an entirely different thing than running around and crosschecking people in the face.

Now other teams are trying to show that they can bully their way to a Cup, because the think that's what the Bruins did. What they missed - largely because they were distracted by the whining of the Canucks, the Sabres, and whoever the GM was who said the league had a Bruins problem - is that the Bruins are remarkably disciplined until you initiate dirty play. They aren't angels, and we know who the Bruins's aggressors are, but they aren't a team that plays outside the physical framework of the game. They play a lot of games where they take one or two penalties at most.  Most of this year's playoffs has been about going outside the framework of playing hockey to establish that you can be violent. It's easy to be violent if you're willing to be cheap, dirty, cowardly. It's a different story to play disciplined, intelligent hockey violently. That's what the Bruins do better than any other team in the league, but it's discipline first then violence. So - to the question of playoff intensity - I think the Bruins are actually dictating the lower level of intensity in their series, and it's the Capitals who aren't able to be both physical and disciplined. It's a point of control, and now Backstrom will miss a crucial game because he couldn't control himself.  The Bruins may not look like they're dominating the Capitals, but their overall control on the throttle is encouraging.                       

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Is it a coincidence, that the type of hockey we are seeing this playoffs, for the first time I might add, and the fact that the NHL appointed Shanahan as head disciplinarian ( with what looks like a new set of guideline ) ?

Let's face it. For the NHL to pass these types of guideline this last year, you can't help but wonder if the NHL isn't trying to market their sport as the new WWE equivalent ? NBC scored huge ratings the last Pitt - Flyers game. Do you think they want this type of hockey stopped ? Somehow, I don't think so. TV is the carrot that the NHL has being chasing since TV first showed up. That's how the NHL ended up in such hockey driven cities such as LA, Tampa, Nashville, etc. 

If the TV ratings stay high in the US of A, I'm betting that this style of hockey we are witnessing, will be tolerated by the NHL and then put into practise by the teams that don't have a complete club to compete and win the Stanley Cup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins09. Show bruins09's posts

In Response to Re: Getting Ridiculous Now:
    Well being the fact that these guys are bigger, faster, stronger, than ever before any type of bonecrushing hit could cause damage of some sort. This hockey we are seeing now is more cheapshotting than anything else. True there was snakes in the league throughout its history but not so many punks or guys trying to end others careers. I still am mad at big Z for not being suspended last year for his hit on Pax. I love big Z and love his playstyle, but I thought his hit was cheap and deserved a susp. Some of these punks need to be suspended like the good old days. Let them lose paychecks and then they may actually learn. Its to the point now where people are actually considering suspensions for the time of the players injury. Now that my friends is when you know the game is getting out of hand. I agree with ya Kelvana, I miss players having no fear leaping through traffic with reckless abandon, except now  when a guy the size of say Lucic bearing down on you with the ability to not only check you into the glass but also through it. You just wont see too many players willing to give up their bodies in todays game, and the ones that do usually end up on IR.  
    Posted by LegendofBoston

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Book...right on

You want to beat the Bruins? Then keep your head down, and your mouth shut. This team is way more reactive than proactive. That's what the press misrepresents. They are a solid team when playing the CJ system, that preaches responsibility and discipline. They become an elite team when you bite their finger or crosscheck them in the face. What the rest of the NHL doesn't get is - you really shouldn't try to out caveman a team that has Zdeno Chara and Milan Lucic on the same roster, because you'll never win that game. You can't copycat genetics. The B's have enough skill to compete, but their turbo charger is when you get them angry. The rest of the league may think that's how you can beat this team, but the truth is that's the way to seal your fate. I'm not talking about fighting, it's about the imposing of will, emotional play and yes, anger. The cup finals turned last year when Recchi stuck his fingers in someone's mouth after the whistle - it was game on after that. The moronic Canucks should have used their strength, which was skill and skating. They threw blood in the water instead, and the outcome was really more about them than the "big bad Bruins" hype.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I'm with Book. The copycat thing is bang on. Add the Hawks winning without 'elite' goaltending. The next season the bottom dropped out of the goalie market. The next big one to test that will be Price. Will be interesting to  see what he gets cos you don't need to spend huge money on a goalie to win the cup. Just look at Chicago...

The Bruins generally aren't aggressive unless the other team plays that way. Looks at games against the Devils or Islanders which tend to go off without major incident (other than the occasional staged fight). Both these are teams who can throw down when they want to (usually against the Penguins. Ha ha!).
    The Bruins also struggle against skill teams like the Redwings or Caps (of a few years back). Speed and skill is how to beat them not a physical battle. The Nucks could have done that last year but they chose to agitate and the rest is history.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

Book...right on You want to beat the Bruins? Then keep your head down, and your mouth shut. This team is way more reactive than proactive. That's what the press misrepresents. They are a solid team when playing the CJ system, that preaches responsibility and discipline. They become an elite team when you bite their finger or crosscheck them in the face. What the rest of the NHL doesn't get is - you really shouldn't try to out caveman a team that has Zdeno Chara and Milan Lucic on the same roster, because you'll never win that game. You can't copycat genetics. The B's have enough skill to compete, but their turbo charger is when you get them angry. The rest of the league may think that's how you can beat this team, but the truth is that's the way to seal your fate. I'm not talking about fighting, it's about the imposing of will, emotional play and yes, anger. The cup finals turned last year when Recchi stuck his fingers in someone's mouth after the whistle - it was game on after that. The moronic Canucks should have used their strength, which was skill and skating. They threw blood in the water instead, and the outcome was really more about them than the "big bad Bruins" hype.
    Posted by JWensink

Good Post.

But I disagree with another post that there is less respect between players now then there used to be.  Dale Hunter had no respect.  The guy's who took out Bobby Orrs knees had no respect.  Wayne Macki.  Eddie Shore... 

It's a tough sport.  More injuries now because of size, speed and injury awareness.  I think it's good in the long run that they are now trying to introduce respect with what Shanny is doing.  He's not always right but it's the right thing to do.

A couple year's ago I was outraged that they suspended MacLaren for that hit on (was it Zednik?) during the playoffs.  That was hockey.  Then.  Not now and not in the future.  And I'm on board now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuII. Show nuII's posts

Personally I think the refs are doing a great job keeping things under control in this series.  it could have gotten out of hand but they gave Backstrom a match penalty which he deserved.  Its refreshing to see officials that put the integrity of the game first, unlike some other sports.  Go Bruins!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I posted this on another thread that then died, but I'm curious if others see this point, so... I have a theory. Of all of the series, the Bruins-Caps is one of the most calm.  Only Jersey v. Florida and Phoenix v. Chicago have had fewer penalty minutes and fewer incidents (Shaw on Smith notwithstanding). I'm stunned that the St. Louis v. SJ series is just as bad for PIMs as the Philly v. Pitt series. There have been 11 game misconducts and 2 match penalties in 25 total games.   Am I wrong or is there a huge irony in the way this seems to be a consequence of the way the press tried to sell the Bruins's Cup victory as bullying their way to victory? The NHL is a copycat league. When the Ducks won with an army of goons, the story was that teams would need to get bigger to counter the goonery. When Detroit won, no one needed the goons anymore. All we heard last year was that the Bruins bullied their way to a Cup. The Eliot Friedman comment on HNIC was telling - after Bergeron and Savard were both smeared with minimal response from the league, Boston stopped looking for the league to protect players and decided they'd take care of their own. Last year was the result of that all for one mentality.  But that is an entirely different thing than running around and crosschecking people in the face. Now other teams are trying to show that they can bully their way to a Cup, because the think that's what the Bruins did. What they missed - largely because they were distracted by the whining of the Canucks, the Sabres, and whoever the GM was who said the league had a Bruins problem - is that the Bruins are remarkably disciplined until you initiate dirty play. They aren't angels, and we know who the Bruins's aggressors are, but they aren't a team that plays outside the physical framework of the game. They play a lot of games where they take one or two penalties at most.  Most of this year's playoffs has been about going outside the framework of playing hockey to establish that you can be violent. It's easy to be violent if you're willing to be cheap, dirty, cowardly. It's a different story to play disciplined, intelligent hockey violently. That's what the Bruins do better than any other team in the league, but it's discipline first then violence. So - to the question of playoff intensity - I think the Bruins are actually dictating the lower level of intensity in their series, and it's the Capitals who aren't able to be both physical and disciplined. It's a point of control, and now Backstrom will miss a crucial game because he couldn't control himself.  The Bruins may not look like they're dominating the Capitals, but their overall control on the throttle is encouraging.                       
    Posted by Bookboy007

Once again Bookboy007, you nailed it. When you listen on the talk shows, or talk to other hockey fanatics, the over-whelming sentiment is that the Bruins play goon hockey only. They can, but that isn't the only dimension to their game. Second highest scoring team in the league, and one of the top goals against. The best Team +-. But it is easy to put a label on them and everyone goes, 'ya, that's right'. 

Your point about their disciplined style they play is so accurate. It always looks like everything they do is for a purpose and calculated to offset the other team's plan. Goals against are usually a mistake vs. a systematic error. Goals for aren't artistic, but they are usually from hustle and smart positioning. (if only they could do it on the PP). 

Maybe I am just a homer, but it seems to me that the other team usually initiates the rough stuff. More often than not, the Bruins are responding to the aggression of the opponent. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I posted this on another thread that then died, but I'm curious if others see this point, so... I have a theory. Of all of the series, the Bruins-Caps is one of the most calm.  Only Jersey v. Florida and Phoenix v. Chicago have had fewer penalty minutes and fewer incidents (Shaw on Smith notwithstanding). I'm stunned that the St. Louis v. SJ series is just as bad for PIMs as the Philly v. Pitt series. There have been 11 game misconducts and 2 match penalties in 25 total games.   Am I wrong or is there a huge irony in the way this seems to be a consequence of the way the press tried to sell the Bruins's Cup victory as bullying their way to victory? The NHL is a copycat league. When the Ducks won with an army of goons, the story was that teams would need to get bigger to counter the goonery. When Detroit won, no one needed the goons anymore. All we heard last year was that the Bruins bullied their way to a Cup. The Eliot Friedman comment on HNIC was telling - after Bergeron and Savard were both smeared with minimal response from the league, Boston stopped looking for the league to protect players and decided they'd take care of their own. Last year was the result of that all for one mentality.  But that is an entirely different thing than running around and crosschecking people in the face. Now other teams are trying to show that they can bully their way to a Cup, because the think that's what the Bruins did. What they missed - largely because they were distracted by the whining of the Canucks, the Sabres, and whoever the GM was who said the league had a Bruins problem - is that the Bruins are remarkably disciplined until you initiate dirty play. They aren't angels, and we know who the Bruins's aggressors are, but they aren't a team that plays outside the physical framework of the game. They play a lot of games where they take one or two penalties at most.  Most of this year's playoffs has been about going outside the framework of playing hockey to establish that you can be violent. It's easy to be violent if you're willing to be cheap, dirty, cowardly. It's a different story to play disciplined, intelligent hockey violently. That's what the Bruins do better than any other team in the league, but it's discipline first then violence. So - to the question of playoff intensity - I think the Bruins are actually dictating the lower level of intensity in their series, and it's the Capitals who aren't able to be both physical and disciplined. It's a point of control, and now Backstrom will miss a crucial game because he couldn't control himself.  The Bruins may not look like they're dominating the Capitals, but their overall control on the throttle is encouraging.                       
    Posted by Bookboy007

I think your assement of the b's is right on book.  Like many businesses, operating an NHL team is poster child for monkey see, monkey do.
    I think this years playoffs though, are more a result of the leagues failing than mimicking the Bruins.
    The line between acceptable/unacceptable on ice behavior has never been more muddied, and when the emotional meter gets pinned with the excitemet of playoffs, the natives get increasingly restless.  Strict enforcement is about the only way to keep that under control, and with the uncertainty surrounding what is and what isn't acceptable, these paid gladiators are only going to keep pushing the envelope.
    I think most teams realize the B's are most susceptible when unprovoked.  I don't think any teams figure the best way to beat the B's is to attempt to intimadate...I think what's happenning is purely the wishy-washyness of the league.
    If the refs call a really tight game...right from the offset, you don't see as much of this crap.  We saw this a while back when the league made the announcement that there was a new culture being implemented regarding holding/obstruction.  The refs called it, and relatively quickly, that decades old annoyance was dealt with.  The only reason that happened, was because the officials were instructed to call it without mercy.  Everbody caught on quick, cuz they realized those calls were not going to go away.  If the next Pitts-Philly game is marred by a slew of early penalties, an ejection or 2...we'll see big changes in the way the players play.  If a spear on the pills is tolerated, things just acceleate to the next level.  I'm not really blaming the refs.  Although I've been incredibly critical of Shanahan, he's not the root of the problem either.  It really comes down to the league hierarchy, and it's lack of gonads.
    They want it all.  They don't want gratuitous violence, but it sells...so they want it.  They hate to see players go down with serious injury, but they also don't want to do anything in terms of rules, that may in fact make the game a bit less violent.  They don't want to see players commit fouls, but they also don't want the flow of the game to be interrupted by a lot of penalty calls.  They want perpetrators penalized for infractions, yet they openly admit, that officiating does, and should be dictated by the score, and time of year, more so than what is stated in the rules.
    Football is a pretty violent game too, but a penalty in game 2 of the regular season, is a penalty in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. Understandable, consistently applied rules, really dictate how players play.  The greater the swing in the consistency of officiating, the greater swing in behavior.
    So what does the NHL do.  They undermine the game, by undermining their own on ice officials.  The hockey world would be upside down, if the refs called everthing, right off the bat tonight in Philly.  The fan base would be screaming too, yet, thats whats needed, and it's not that the officials, arent capable, it's that their direction is without substance.  This whole idea of Shanahan is a joke.  He can't possibly win, he's clearly a short term sacrificial lamb.  The hilarity surrounding the sheer volume of cases going before him, clearly screams of a much bigger problem.  A problem not that difficult to fix, but the league really wants it both ways.
     Back to the B's.  They can be as dirty as anybody, but they're led by someone who can see the bigger picture.  It's long been engrained in this team, that responsibility, and discipline are key. It's been beat into them that penalties are usually the result of either laziness, or selfishness, or both. 
    I see a lot of teams acting like Marchand did last year.  I think thats more a product of undisciplined play, than a belief they're playing like the reigning cup champs.
    I'm not really impressed with a lot of what I'm seeing so far this playoff.  To me, it's a disturbing trend.  It's not the refs fault, it's not the coaches or players, and not that puppet Shanahan either.  It's the league.  With TV ratings going through the roof with the Pitts-Philly series in the U.S.  I'm not confident the league is prepared to do anything more than they've done, which is nothing much more than window dressing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Is it coincidental that society is going in the same direction?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The B's are physically tough, but most of the garbage is precipitated by the opposing teams. The B's are reactionary, they don't start the nonsense, but they don't back away from it. If the B's played that way, I'd post about that. When's the last time that Shawn Thornton took a bad minor penalty? That in itself is a sign that the team is far more disciplined than outsiders think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I personally think that it's frustrating for the other teams to "try" to play the B's style & it fails them. All of these teams GM's, players or coaches who call the B's the "league goons" I'd like for them to go sit down & watch every B's game from this past season. Pick out where the B's (Marchands antics excluded) don't play the game the right way. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Bruins go into the dirty areas more than other teams and try to clog the middle on offense and declog the middle on defense.

Some of the "goon" talk may be due to the fact that the Bs are good in the dirty areas (also the source of some of the Seguin criticism). When you go into the dirty areas, you're going to have more physical play before and after the whistle.

Plus you have some hard hitters on the team in Lucic, Chara, Boychuk, McQuaid, and Seidenberg. A lot of teams aren't used to seeing a guy like Lucic that can skate, score and fight. Difficult to play against.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

teams that refer to other teams as "goons" usually are the teams that chop/crosscheck/spear etc and run away, exactly what the Caps have been doing....perfectly done by Backstrom, end of the game, four Caps in the area (no B's by the way) cross checks him in the face, curls and waits for others to come in, then when the refs break everything is real eager to get involved; just a shame, and you'll lose quite a bit of respect around the league for things of that nature. Same with Alzner, Looch clearly squared up w/ Hendricks (he's the one clean face-to-face player they have) and Alzner comes from behind face washes Looch, then gets bundled down, after the refs have clear control, taunts Looch widely considered the toughest guy in the league.....Washington is trying to bait the B's into something they are not prepared to handle, they woke them up now, this one could get ugly Thursday, Alzner is going to get his face mashed in....if he's going to play with the big boys drop the shield off the bucket or take it off before they go.....it'll be fun, enjoy it all!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Posted by Bookboy007

Thats a nice post. Totally agree with the Detroit thing. I'd hesitate to say the Bruins "gooned" their way to a Cup. when you say gooning, I think fights and enforcers and I dont recall many fights or Thornton acting like a goon last playoffs.  Physical intelligent hockey, absolutley, but a major reason was also the play of Thomas.

I think Pittsburgh has deviated from their strength, expected Philly to goon it up and it's almost like they switched ways they play. If thats true, all the kudos in the world to Laviolette.

I just don't like the way the playoffs are going, it used to be almost like Olympic hockey with up and down play,clean physical play and the only fights were pure emotion, not reusults form cheap shots or big clean hits. We finally have every game on TV and people who used to say hockey was just fighting on skates could be tuning in now and saying "see, theyre not playing hockey"...

Sections
Shortcuts