Gill calls out Subban

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: Gill calls out Subban

In Response to Re: Gill calls out Subban:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gill calls out Subban : And another comment about a PK Subban thread from you.  Kennedy, as I said in another thread, Subban is demanding the spotlight...and getting it.  He is a very dynamic, brash, and obnoxious rookie from the rival team.  He is in the news a lot.  The Bruins and Habs are playing tonight.  Bruins fans can't resist talking abouty this guy because he is so good but is also such a punk.  Neither can you...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

In this situation, he's not demanding the spotlight at all. Every time he sneezes, it's big news...case in point, this "story" which by many accounts has been blown completely out of proportion. How can you claim that this recent "big deal" is at all about Subban demanding attention--unless you think he dropped his practice jersey on the floor thinking "AHA! Now this is how I'll get back on the front burner on Canada's sports reports."

The kid is a phenomenon, but the attention that he receives outside of the times he brings it on himself is ridiculous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Agree Kennedy , NOT ANOTHER POST !
    I wish we had an up and coming D like him .  His character can be corrected and has already improved since under the wing of Al Gill.
    Amazing the respect Gill has in Montreal and his peers.

For all of you wanting to know more on PK you can go on this link and they got the proper story last night with one of their reporters being in the room.

http://www.team990.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

So you think it is totally arbitrary that there are articles in the Canadian newspapers about him just about everyday; just pure chance that HNIC radio talks about him practically everyday; an uncanny coincidence that his coaches and teammates continue to call him out privately and publicily; a random event that players on other teams seem to be constantly enagaged with him.

I'm sure at the All-Star game he grabbed Skinner's jersey because he was cold too, but because he wanted to be noticed at all.

C'mon Kennedy, I know you love the kid, but it couldn't be more obvious that he is desperate for attention.  Sure he gets lots of attention because he is so skilled too.  But don't be surprised that the kid that who can never keep his mouth shut and is always acting out gets attention.  That's the way it goes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i agree fletcher- so lets stop giving it to him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Derek Sanderson used to be cocky. Nobody cared. Too many women in the game now.........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

this is very hard for me.  other than completely agreeing with Dez will say. 

NO COMMENT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]So you think it is totally arbitrary that there are articles in the Canadian newspapers about him just about everyday; just pure chance that HNIC radio talks about him practically everyday; an uncanny coincidence that his coaches and teammates continue to call him out privately and publicily; a random event that players on other teams seem to be constantly enagaged with him. I'm sure at the All-Star game he grabbed Skinner's jersey because he was cold too, but because he wanted to be noticed at all. C'mon Kennedy, I know you love the kid, but it couldn't be more obvious that he is desperate for attention.  Sure he gets lots of attention because he is so skilled too.  But don't be surprised that the kid that who can never keep his mouth shut and is always acting out gets attention.  That's the way it goes.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

This is what I said in my last post. I'll be more concise this time and give examples, because you have completely misinterpreted my point.

Subban has done some things that have put himself in the limelight. His reaction to the Ovechkin hit (and subsequent minor), some selfish plays at bad times (like the ones that got him benched a couple of months ago), his overall exuberance on ice are examples of that. 

However, other things that have received a great deal of attention have nothing to do with him seeking attention.  This latest story, the "OMG SCOTT GOMEZ DIDN'T HUG PK AFTER THE OT GOAL" story, most of what comes out of PJ Stock's mouth, etc are examples of that.

It would be nice if the media and fans could separate the two. The Subban-obsession is out of control, and this latest incident is an example of that. How anyone could say "Yup--there's Subban making himself the focus again" about this latest incident boggles the mind. 

As for HNIC and the media, remind youself why the media exists: to sell advertisements. PK Subban is a unique player in what is (let's be honest) a boring league that pales in comparison entertainment-wise fo 20 years ago. What else is the media going to focus on as far as personalities are concerned? Haven't you noticed...there aren't any! That's a big part of why there are more threads about a Habs player on this Bruins board than there are about many B's players.

And indeed, putting on Skinner's sweater was a horrible thing to do. He needs to respect the game, and should look at NBA icons like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson who would never have done something like that (in warmups....before a Celtics / Lakers regular season game in the 80s.....on April Fools Day...for the benefit of Sports Illustrated cameras).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'll defend his skill all day and lord knows I have, but he does need to grow up. I would think that with all the attention on his behavior/body language especially in a hot bed like Montreal, he would need to expedite this and grow up fast.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with the Skinner shirt, He's got flair and charisma,something the NHL could use more of plus it was at an event that was for the fans...
    I hope he smartens up because people should be talking about his skill set, not these stupid antics. defense is a very tough position to learn in the NHL and in that capacity he has been very good, it's just been overshadowed by instances such as this which he brings upon himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

No Skill Gill is a tool, but even he can see PK is a idiot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't know about 'more concise' there Kennedy, but I do see your point better, as I thought you were suggesting that the attention he gets is all random.  There is a reason why Subban is the subject of constant attention and, say Alex Picard isn't.  The reason is partly Subban's talent, and partly Subban's antics.  I'm starting to think it is more of the latter.

I don't think this latest thing is about Subban and Gill is so much about him wanting attention either.  On the other hand, leaving your equipment strewn about the lockerroom and annoying your teammates, does, in fact, draw attention.  Wanted or not.

You seem to be getting a little pissy there at the end there.  As far at the All-Star jersey thing, I have no problem with it and actually thought it was quite funny when I saw it.  I never criticized him for that.  But to focus on the discussion we are having -- he clearly did it to get attention!  That's the point.  You don't normally see rookies do things like that at the All-Satr game.

I don't hate him for any of this.  I don't wish injury on him or anything else.  But between his talent and his antics, I find it to be plainly obvious why fans in Montreal and Boston are so interested in him. 

(Okay, I would like to see him get dropped with a big open ice hit...not injured...just dropped).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Derek Sanderson used to be cocky. Nobody cared. Too many women in the game now.........
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure Johnny Bucyk would have just let Sanderson act like this.

Any more stories you'd like to create?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gill calls out Subban : Yea & turns out PJ Stock was right! Don't start your dung Kennedy! Just because you refuse to believe that the guy is hated by everybody including his teammates & PJ Stock reports that & you have a love for the guy that`s great. I think if he stuck to playing hockey & stop being a snot nosed disrepectful little punk he`d be fine! This reporter that nix`s the story is an A$k kisser who`s looking to get the players to talk to him instead of him having to wait! Remember what he said.. `HE & GILL were getting interuppted while he was trying to interview him. Gill`s been around long enough to know about the so called language barriers with the Montreal media. You don`t pretend to be p?ssed! I`m sure the coach & management would love to hear that Gill the so-called "mentor!" is playing games with the media!!!

Now Gill is trying to downplay the situation on TSN. Look, it's not a secret about this kid who acts like a punk! You don't see Lacouture in SJ, Jeff Skinner in Car acting this way! This guy has a huge chip on his shoulder & I can't wait for someone to knock it off! Well that's if he would actually fight somebody, or standup long enough for a fight to start! He even fights like a punk!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Gill is right on. ADK and Bez have joined the TROLL dump with no understanding or knowledge.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    Wink funny stuff right there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Add Keith Jones to the list.  Between periods he specifally called out Subban for getting after Lucic, just after the linesmen came in and tied everyone up.

I guess the Versus staff are a part of the anti-Subban conspiracy too.