Gillis Gets the Axe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Gillis Gets the Axe

Torts survives...for now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Gillis Gets the Axe

Well deserved.  That team went to the Finals 3 yrs ago and now they're a complete mess. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Did they name a replacement?  That would be a good job for Stanley.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Paisano Francesco is trying to get a hold of Stanley, as we post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

This guy made more mistakes than Custer in Montana.I can't think of one good move he made off the top of my head,there likely is one,maybe Red knows.From making Luongo Captain,to the 12 year NTC contract he gave him,to trading away both starting goalies,to giving every player a NTC,to hiring Torts,the list goes on and on.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I heard someone mention Mike Keenan. Didn't get the guys name, but he's a reporter in Canuckleville.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

I know people (Jack Edwards right now on Twitter, actually) like to think that the Finals series and loss was the beginning of the collapse, but I am not sure. The following year, they went 51-22-9 and won the president's trophy. Last year's shortened season saw them go 26-15-7. That's not awful. 

I get that the playoff flameouts since the Finals are hard to take, especially when they were having the regular season success that they became accostumed to enjoying.

I think the real beginning of failure for this team was Gillis' inability to trade Lu after 2012-13. If they ditch him then, they solidify Schneider as the starter and move on from that entire distraction and it prevents the snowballing that led to Cory heading to NJ, AV's firing, Torts coming on board and the pathetic Lu trade this year. To me, Gillis mismanaged his assets, plain and simple. Think if the Bruins kept DK46, PB37 and TS19 as their centers long enough for the scribes to start wondering about Seguin's playing time. That's what Gillis let happen regarding his tenders.

Speaking strictly about the impact of the Bs on other teams, I think the Lucic-Miller thing was more of an influence. The incident, followed by Miller's incindiary comments, led to personnel moves like adding J. Scott and a misguided attempt at toughening the team. 

The year of the Lucic-Miller collision, Sabres were 39-32-11. Not good but not awful. Then they went 21-21-6, which is the slightest of regressions. This year it's a disaster. Making misguided moves to toughen up instead of identifying some weaknesses and rebuilding on the fly got B'lo to where they are now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

This guy inherited the team with Vigneault as the headcoach,after  4 or 5 years he systematically destoyed everything his predecessors had built.He was a player agent that was in way over his head.Still can't get over all the whining he did during the 2011 B's Stanley Cup final run,pathetic.I will say that he was a championship whiner.The only people that are disappointed are the Flame & Oiler fans who wanted him to stay and run the Nucks into the ground further.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hodgson out, Kassian in

Luongo and Schneider out, nite and Kelvana in

Kessler, the heart and soul of the team, clammoring for a trade.

This guy was a circus.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hodgson out, Kassian in

This guy was a circus.

[/QUOTE]

There's another,forgot about that.Kassian,the next Milan Lucic,LOL,HAHAHA,LOL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Rumour that Linden will be the next president and Ive also seen chatter of Naslund as GM. Naslund was asked about this today and had no comment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hodgson out, Kassian in

This guy was a circus.

[/QUOTE]

Booth-$4.2 mil a year for 7 gls and 17 pts.

Sedins-$7 mil a yr each until 2018, 96th & 111th in league scoring.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The guy actually made lemons out of lemonade. Didn't think it was possible. I'm gonna miss laughing at his ineptitude. His turning of the Schneids/Bobby Lu situation into a full blown fiasco is legendary. I'll also never forget how he felt so truly robbed after the B's beat them. He still can't process it to this day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think he still has "a Bruin problem".  

It makes me smile that the Bruins essentially ruined his career.  Game 7 in 2011 was an unbelievable turning point for this guy in every way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He did, however, make one very high level acquisition that will haunt the other 29 GMs for a very long time.

Yeah, the price was Luongo, but he did get Shawn Mathias. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He was going after Torterella a little bit this week, now I read that they havent been talking. Not sure if Torts survives but they need some changes there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Like all GMs, he had some bad luck to go with his case of the stupids.  Kesler's injuries did, in fact, rob the team of it's "heart".  Hamhuis and Erhoff were probably the only positive moves he made.  I suppose Burrows out of nowhere to 30 goal scorer, too.  But too many Keith Ballard, David Booth, Derek Roy, Jason Garrison, Zack Kassian type manoeuvers that ended up real disasters.  They all just went to Vancouver to die, though Kassian is only 22 with a lot of hockey ahead.

Really, his tenure started in the woodshed when he tried so hard to romance Sundin to play with the Twits.  Eggs, Basket.  Sundin played him like an ex-girlfriend with no self-esteem.  Shame on Sundin, but what the he-- was Gillis doing?

The Bruins ended him even if it wasn't lose to Boston, crap out, fired. in however many months.  The Bruins and Gillis's whingeing hung a label on the Canucks and they were never able to shake it.  Bringing in Tortorella was supposed to be label remover.  Label removed.  Results may vary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really, his tenure started in the woodshed when he tried so hard to romance Sundin to play with the Twits.  Eggs, Basket.  Sundin played him like an ex-girlfriend with no self-esteem.  Shame on Sundin, but what the he-- was Gillis doing?

[/QUOTE]

To think he originally offered Sundin $10 mil a yr for 2 yrs but Mats didn't want to commit that long,coulda really backfired.The Hamhuis deal basically fell in Gillis's lap as Hamhuis being a BC boy wanted to return closer to home and his agent did the rest.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I still can't believe he got rid of both his goalies.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Now there actually is joy in Mudville. Folks out here are thrilled.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Inherited a good team and then dismantled it shortly after with some head scratching moves. He will be scouting with Jay Feaster in Palookaville very soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Inherited a good team and then dismantled it shortly after with some head scratching moves. He will be scouting with Jay Feaster in Palookaville very soon.

[/QUOTE]

Describes it perfectly,and if not for a bonehead clearing attempt by Chris Campoli in OT of game 7 against the Hawks in 2011,likely would have suffered another 1st round exit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I heard someone mention Mike Keenan. Didn't get the guys name, but he's a reporter in Canuckleville.

Speaking of Mike Keenan:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/04/07/iron_mike_keenan_finds_fit_in_khl.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I enjoy the idea the Bruins' presence has had such a profound effect on the rosters of so many clubs. The Maybe Next Years. Buffablow. Flabitants. Seems like none more than back to back Presidents Trophy winngers Caschmucks. A year ago I heard a Vancouver hockey writer (can't remember his name) on THE FAN 590 suggest that season should be Gillis' last go at it because as he saw it the team had gone nowhere but downhill since the 2011 finals.

To paraphrase what I recall, he said Gillis should have been watching Peter Chiarelli who in his opinion, recognized the condensed time frame there was to utilize maximum effectiveness from core players and acted accordingly with roster moves. He believed Gillis thought the majority of the roster that lost to the Bruins could get them the Cup and as a result hesitated in changing the team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I would have to say another big factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is how the Canucks have gone 1-10 in the play-offs since Game 6 of the 11' Finals. The whole Lu/Sheind fiasco was bad enough, then they bring in the most controversal coach in the game to an already controversal envirionment. Plus his contineous whining was just over the top ridiculous. See ya Gillis!