Goalies - 2012 and beyond

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

Goalies - 2012 and beyond

With Thomas entering his last year under contract, Tuukka an RFA and Khudobin on a one-way contract, it's pretty safe bet that one of the three will not be on the team in 2012.  Theres a chance they could keep 3, seeing that Khudobins cap hit is minimal, but that appears unlikely.

I had a thought, but I'm not sure if this is possible.  Could they send Khudobin to the KHL for the 2012 season, keeping him under contract for the following season?? Or bring him back if they need him (similar to what Nashville did with Radulov)???  

Does anyone have any insight as to if this would be an option??  It would be great if they could, holding on to all 3 of these guys. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Goalies - 2012 and beyond

Chiarelli signed Khudobin to a one-way contract next year to keep him out of the KHL. Anton and his agent were threatening to leave for the KHL last fall so PC made the commitment. Gave Khudobin a two-way this season then a one-way next season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

A one-way contract, just means they have to pay him his full salary when he is in Providence.
    It does not affect the Bruins' cap hit, anymore than a two-way contract would, because he has to be on the NHL roster, to be counted on the cap.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

I would entertain trading thomas depending on the return. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

In Response to Re: Goalies - 2012 and beyond:
    I would entertain trading thomas depending on the return. 
    Posted by tremha

I would too, but i don't think there are many fans who agree with us. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

A one-way contract, just means they have to pay him his full salary when he is in Providence. It does not affect the Bruins' cap hit, anymore than a two-way contract would, because he has to be on the NHL roster, to be counted on the cap.
    Posted by biggskye

If he's on a one-way contract, wouldn't he have to clear waivers to be sent down???  I doubt he would clear. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

what about Zane Gothberg ? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

what about Zane Gothberg ? 
    Posted by BsLegion

I believe he's a freshman to be at U. North Dakota...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Khudobin will have to clear after camp next year.  But really - what has he done that a team would decide they have to have him?  If they want to keep him and pay him 900K in the minors, it's better for the Bruins to keep him in the A this year rather than risk him posting a couple of shutouts against teams playing their AHLers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Khudobin stopped 62 of 66 shots in wins over Manchester and Connecticut."

Chiarelli sent his scouts out to find a goalie just in case he loses one of his two current goalies and he because wasn't happy with what he had as current goalie prospects. Giving Khudobin the 2nd year showed the kid the Bruins are going to give him a chance or they would've let him go to the KHL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Unless Thomas delivers a Cup winning performance I fully expect him to be dealt in the off season as soon as his NMC expires. He'll have one year left and a team like Tampa,Chicago even San Jose, all depends on how other teams playoff exits go they could get involved. Tampa knows if they had a good goaltender they would be in the playolffs right now. With St. Louis, Lecavalier not getting any younger and Stamkos flirting with 60 getting wasted they may take a flyer on TT having one more left in the tank.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Only thing I caution against trading Thomas is:  for the past two seasons Tuukka has suffered injuries that have either caused him to miss significant time or have caused his game to suffer and then need surgery. 

I'm not saying he's injury prone but I am not ready to go into the season with just Tuukka and an unproven backup.  Tuukka can have his share or more of the starts but I'd at least hold on to Thomas until the trade deadline. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Khudobin stopped 62 of 66 shots in wins over Manchester and Connecticut." Chiarelli sent his scouts out to find a goalie just in case he loses one of his two current goalies and he because wasn't happy with what he had as current goalie prospects. Giving Khudobin the 2nd year showed the kid the Bruins are going to give him a chance or they would've let him go to the KHL.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I'm not sure it means he's going to get a chance.  I think it means that they wanted to sign him badly enough to commit just under a cool mil. to him even if he ends up playing in the AHL next year.  In other words, rather than promise him an NHL job, they contracted for an NHL salary no matter what.  If he doesn't play in the NHL next year, I'm pretty sure he'll be gone in 2013.

It's also possible that they trade him.  I don't know what they'd get for him, but Chiarelli could prefer to keep Thomas and Rask for another three years.

At least no one here is saying "Turco for back-up..." after he won one game - at least on this thread.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There's also Hutchinson, who was never overly impressive as a junior and who looked like he was going to fail as a goalie prospect, but he now has pretty good numbers as Khudobin's back-up - 2.49 GAA and a .923s% in 24 starts.  Not a lot of wins, but those aren't bad stats.  Those are better numbers than he had at any point in junior, but...well, I'm doubting what they mean until someone who sees Providence play regularly can tell me that he's stopped giving up the juicy rebounds, and tightened up the gaps in a gangly frame.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

In looking at scouting reports it appears that Khudobin is projected as a solid NHL backup and is NHL ready now.  Hutch also projects as an NHL backup, but clearly has a ways to go.

Personally I'm all for trading Thomas when his no trade clause is up, depending on what they'd get in return.  Unless of course they win it again this year with Thomas leading the way.  That would make it tough to let him go.

If it's a matter of paying Khudobin 900K to play in the AHL, that's perfectly reasonable.  The problem I see is that on a one-way contract he needs to clear waivers to be sent down.  I don't see 29 teams passing on this kid. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Goalies - 2012 and beyond : I'm not sure it means he's going to get a chance.  I think it means that they wanted to sign him badly enough to commit just under a cool mil. to him even if he ends up playing in the AHL next year.  In other words, rather than promise him an NHL job, they contracted for an NHL salary no matter what.  If he doesn't play in the NHL next year, I'm pretty sure he'll be gone in 2013. It's also possible that they trade him.  I don't know what they'd get for him, but Chiarelli could prefer to keep Thomas and Rask for another three years. At least no one here is saying "Turco for back-up..." after he won one game - at least on this thread.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Go see the Turco thread.  Trade Rask and sign Turco as backup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Chiarelli was keeping all his options open, with Khudobin being one of them should he move a keeper. This season was to determine a number of things. If Tuukka outplayed Thomas, or at least pushed him, he would be in line for a raise and the #1 job so you would deal Thomas in the summer. If Khudobin looked good, or if he filled in well during an injury, he would be ready for the backup role. As it stands, it looks like we may have seen the last of Tuukka in action for the year so he can hardly demand a big raise at this point. If Thomas plays really well you may not want to move him. Based on how things unfolded so far this year, I can see both Thomas and Rask back, with perhaps it being a bit of a transition year with Tuukka taking over if he plays well. Thomas could even be dealt at the deadline, but I doubt the team feels completely comfortable going into the season banking solely on Rask.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think the best option could be to sign Tuukka to a one-year deal at a low rate and play out the season. From what I can tell he would still be RFA next summer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Tuuka's injury has really muddied the water as Claude will not play him that much as long as the Bruins are in the playoffs. Unfortunately that might cause him, and his agent, to consider other opportunities. The bruins will benefit somewhat, but, it won't be easy to give up on Tuuka at this point.  Hutchinson is still very young [20] and is still filling out and developing. Khudobin could be a better back-up for a number of teams, if he doesn't stick with the Bruins NHL. As always, goalies are a different breed, and can rebound with suprising skills and results.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

I'm for a trade too.  He has lots of fans.  But I think he's lost some in management recently.

In Response to Re: Goalies - 2012 and beyond : I would too, but i don't think there are many fans who agree with us. 
    Posted by inflamedcolon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Thomas' no-trade clause expires after this year. You sign Tuukka long-term and hand him the reigns, Khodobin is your new backup, and Thomas gets traded before he just runs out of gas and we get nothing for him. I mean, that's probably about 2-3 years down the road that he isn't "good" anymore, but his trade-value is good now, Tuukka can do the job, and what he brings back could really help.
    I'd like to imagine a Thomas & Krejci for Lecavallier and prospects deal or something to that effect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Ride Timmy to back-to-back Cups, then trade Tuukka + to LA for Quick!  Thank Thomas for his services and trade him to the warm weather in Tampa for Ryan Malone.

Sign Quick to $6 million/per extension and Khudobin backs him up!

In all seriousness, I do believe that the Bruins should make a run at Quick as I don't know if LA will be able to re-sign him and I would prefer Quick to follow Timmy rather then Tuukka.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I was following along until you suggested Krejci for Lecavalier. That part makes me think you haven't watched hockey in about 5 years.

Thomas' no-trade clause expires after this year. You sign Tuukka long-term and hand him the reigns, Khodobin is your new backup, and Thomas gets traded before he just runs out of gas and we get nothing for him. I mean, that's probably about 2-3 years down the road that he isn't "good" anymore, but his trade-value is good now, Tuukka can do the job, and what he brings back could really help. I'd like to imagine a Thomas & Krejci for Lecavallier and prospects deal or something to that effect.
    Posted by Tom857

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Are we already considering TT being moved? I am not sure I am ready to have that type of discussion...Although there seems to be a chill in the air about TT moving toward the end that cannot be denied.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Goalies - 2012 and beyond :   In other words, rather than promise him an NHL job, they contracted for an NHL salary no matter what.  If he doesn't play in the NHL next year, I'm pretty sure he'll be gone in 2013. It's also possible that they trade him.
    Posted by Bookboy007

If PC wanted an AHL goalie he could have signed an AHL goalie for less then give Hutchinson another year but he went out and traded for Khudobin last year. I've see enough of both goalies to know who is better.

If PC is blown away by a trade offer for Thomas he has to have a backup that isn't going to be Turco or Hutchinson.

Sections
Shortcuts