Goalies Getting the Gear Downsized Again...YES!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Goalies Getting the Gear Downsized Again...YES!

I have long been an opponent of the absolutely absurd goalie gear of the last 15 or so years.  The NHL is chopping it down again for next season.  They're looking to cut at least another three inches off each "thigh rise", which could also be called the "please cover my five hole".

Read it here.

I know some of the weirdo goalies here will buck against the idea, citing injury concerns.  Before you do, tell me this:  Have you ever been injured by a puck going through your five hole?  Save the "but NAS, the thigh rise protects the thighs" routine.  There are pads in the pants that do that.  Or, get a quicker glove!

I am pretty excited that they are finally coming around to cutting these ridiculous pads down.  I like 4-2, 5-3, 6-1 games a heck of a lot better than 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 games.  When multiple goalies are flirting with sub-2.00 GAA, there is a major problem.

Also, check out this info on Fasth:

In an interesting twist, Anaheim goalie Viktor Fasth confirmed to the magazine the NHL “cut the shoulder pads on his chest-and-arm unit” during the 2013 campaign — but that didn’t happen until he was already off to an 8-0-0 start.

Fasth proceeded to go 7-6-2 for the remainder of the season, though it must be said he wasn’t cheating with his pads.

The NHL originally approved his equipment, only to later make alterations when his shoulder pads looked bigger than expected.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Goalies Getting the Gear Downsized Again...YES!

I'm with you NAS, I'd like to see pads get reduced so that there are more skillful saves made and less positional ones.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I like the smaller pads.  I wonder though, does this effect one style of goalie more then another.  Will the future still be the Butterfly style or will this precipitate change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Cant wait to see how goalies stats look next season! Should be interesting!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Just bring back the Aeroflux pads!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

I like the smaller pads.  I wonder though, does this effect one style of goalie more then another.  Will the future still be the Butterfly style or will this precipitate change.

With the thigh risers leaving a new six in hole available for the shooters, I think the butterfly style will take a hit.

Which is great.

One thing I just thougth of, however, is that Rask spends a ton of time on his knees.  Eight years of five hole goals will validate Shupe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I have long been an opponent of the absolutely absurd goalie gear of the last 15 or so years.  The NHL is chopping it down again for next season.  They're looking to cut at least another three inches off each "thigh rise", which could also be called the "please cover my five hole".

Read it here.

I know some of the weirdo goalies here will buck against the idea, citing injury concerns.  Before you do, tell me this:  Have you ever been injured by a puck going through your five hole?  Save the "but NAS, the thigh rise protects the thighs" routine.  There are pads in the pants that do that.  Or, get a quicker glove!

I am pretty excited that they are finally coming around to cutting these ridiculous pads down.  I like 4-2, 5-3, 6-1 games a heck of a lot better than 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 games.  When multiple goalies are flirting with sub-2.00 GAA, there is a major problem.

In an interesting twist, Anaheim goalie Viktor Fasth confirmed to the magazine the NHL “cut the shoulder pads on his chest-and-arm unit” during the 2013 campaign — but that didn’t happen until he was already off to an 8-0-0 start.

Fasth proceeded to go 7-6-2 for the remainder of the season, though it must be said he wasn’t cheating with his pads.

The NHL originally approved his equipment, only to later make alterations when his shoulder pads looked bigger than expected.

You do realize that almost every player these days can fire a puck 100 miles an hour , right ?  Obviously you have never played goal and have no appreciation for the position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

You do realize that almost every player these days can fire a puck 100 miles an hour , right ?  Obviously you have never played goal and have no appreciation for the position.

Explain that though -- as someone who has played goal and presumably used these thigh risers, how do they protect you?  Do you believe that injuries will result from this change?  What number of injuries (if any) could still be justified by improving the game and restoring a more reasonable level of padding?  I mean, all players have risk of injury but at some point more padding isn't always a practical solution to the risk.  Why is this move unreasonable?

I've never played goalie before, but kinda resent the notion that this makes me unqualified to have an opinion on this.  I've played and watched hockey for 35 years.  I like this move.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

So for an NHL goalie the average distance between the knee and the hip is 20 inches. Under the current regulations the pads are allowed to extend 11 inches above the knee, which means it extends over the pants, leaving 9 inches of padding by the pants exposed. The new regulation would knock that down to 8 inches above the knee and leave a 12 inch gap of just the pants padding.

Now I don't mean to be insensitive to our goalies, but what the heck is the big deal? In terms of injury prevention that three inch difference covers a fairly un-vital area. I've blocked enough shots in my life playing D to know that a puck to the thigh can hurt like hell, but it's not going to kill me and the odds of it leading to severe injury is very negligible. 

I simply don't see any considerable safety concerns with the pad change.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I look back at when Patrick Roy started....his gear was tiny.  When he ended it was massive.  

They have talked about making teh nets bigger but the obvious thing is to reduce the size.  In doing so they don't take any more protection away.  The upper part of the current pad almost is in the groin.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Explain that though -- as someone who has played goal and presumably used these thigh risers, how do they protect you?  Do you believe that injuries will result from this change?  What number of injuries (if any) could still be justified by improving the game and restoring a more reasonable level of padding?  I mean, all players have risk of injury but at some point more padding isn't always a practical solution to the risk.  Why is this move unreasonable?

I've never played goalie before, but kinda resent the notion that this makes me unqualified to have an opinion on this.  I've played and watched hockey for 35 years.  I like this move.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't implying that anyone who hasn't played goal is unqualified to have an opinion on this topic. That being said you would be surprised on some of the spots where pucks manage to hit goalies. It seems like any type of exposed area there is, the puck will find its way there sooner than later. It is my bias opinion but I think there can never be too much protection for goalies. That being said, Im not overly concerned or heartbroken over the 3 inches of height per pad goalies may lose. They still have a goalie stick to block whatever opening may be created in the five hole. Lol  My point was more towards Nas, he seems to think that its ok to have players score 50-60 goals and have 7-6 and 6-5 games but it's a " major problem " to have 1-0 and 2-1 games and have goalies with sub 2.00 G.A.A.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

I was a goalie and I never had oversized equipment because I felt that it made me slower. I will say though having a chest protector that is a little bigger meaning like padded made me feel more comfortable playing against these kids with carbon fiber sticks who could rip the puck 80mph+. All I am saying is get the right goalie epuipment and the players on the ice should go back to wooden sticks. Not saying all these players can't shoot 80mph+ with wood sticks but it would reduce alot of the players that are getting tremendous benifit from the flex in the carbon fiber sticks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My point was more towards Nas, he seems to think that its ok to have players score 50-60 goals and have 7-6 and 6-5 games but it's a " major problem " to have 1-0 and 2-1 games and have goalies with sub 2.00 G.A.A.

100% correct.

I hate soccer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thigh risers being cut down will not result in injury.There are knee wraps you wear over your socks for protection. Thigh risers actually protect the knees while down in the butterfly. There purpose is more to block the 5-hole. It will result in more goals until the goalies figure out a way to adjust. I'm thinking Felix Potvin half butterfly with the paddle (stick) down flat to cover 5-hole.

I dont think this will effect Rask as much as his upper body is upright while down in the butterfly and his stick covers 5 hole.

One of the biggest offenders is Crawford. Look at the size of his pads and look at those thigh risers. Biggest in the game in my opinion. And his chest protector, only J.S Guguere has a bigger one.

Now that they've hit the goalies, lets get rid of the weaponry like protection the players wear on their shoulders and elbow pads so the head injuries will go down dramatically.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

There has to be a way that goalies can have a hard plastic knee pad that goes up to the thigh riser like a one peice that is apart of the leg pad itself. I always said that when I played. I used the knee pad under the leg pad but where the thigh was it was just soft form which really didn't do much nor does that little piece of cardboard they use for the thigh rise flap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Read it here.

Cheevers looks like he's not even wearing shoulder pads when compared to Garth Snow who hasn't played in the NHL since 2005/06.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

RHO, that can go for any sport. Show me a linebacker from the 50's and then show me one from the 2000's...It's just as true with forwards and defensemen. The goalie eqiuipment is out of control, has been for a while. Same with players equipment. Doesnt play as big a role in scoring down, but it is a factor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

It's long long overdue. These guys were looking like the Michelin Man the past couple of years. Even Pang would have looked big in net with the balloons they've been wearing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

RHO, that can go for any sport. Show me a linebacker from the 50's and then show me one from the 2000's...It's just as true with forwards and defensemen. The goalie eqiuipment is out of control, has been for a while. Same with players equipment. Doesnt play as big a role in scoring down, but it is a factor.

You're right, kel.  I've seen pics of 60's linebackers like Mike Curtis, Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke and though fearsome for their time look nowhere near the bulk of Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher or James Harrison. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Thigh risers being cut down will not result in injury.There are knee wraps you wear over your socks for protection. Thigh risers actually protect the knees while down in the butterfly. There purpose is more to block the 5-hole. It will result in more goals until the goalies figure out a way to adjust. I'm thinking Felix Potvin half butterfly with the paddle (stick) down flat to cover 5-hole.

I dont think this will effect Rask as much as his upper body is upright while down in the butterfly and his stick covers 5 hole.

One of the biggest offenders is Crawford. Look at the size of his pads and look at those thigh risers. Biggest in the game in my opinion. And his chest protector, only J.S Guguere has a bigger one.

Now that they've hit the goalies, lets get rid of the weaponry like protection the players wear on their shoulders and elbow pads so the head injuries will go down dramatically.

Kel, i remember a shot of Crawford sitting in the locker room prior to a game this season and all you saw was his head behind those pads....  and this guy stands 6'2"....

either downsize goalie gear or start using soccer nets....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Kel, I agree that if they're going after padding they should also be looking at the skaters - at the very least make sure the existing rules about the soft outer layer requirement are enforced.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Kel, I agree that if they're going after padding they should also be looking at the skaters - at the very least make sure the existing rules about the soft outer layer requirement are enforced.

Different battle for a different day.  Scoring is approaching soccer levels.  There is no more fun in any game than a goal.  Take out the fun, take out the crowd.

1-0 sucks.

2-0 sucks.

1-1 (SO) sucks wicked badly.

Since lost season/red line removal/crackdown on obstruction (not including last season), there have been 26 guy with 45 or more goals.  Seven seasons.  Of that 26, eight were from the first year back.

Come on.  That's weak.  Bring back the 3.59 GAA!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Different battle for a different day.  Scoring is approaching soccer levels.  There is no more fun in any game than a goal.  Take out the fun, take out the crowd.

1-0 sucks.

2-0 sucks.

1-1 (SO) sucks wicked badly.

Since lost season/red line removal/crackdown on obstruction (not including last season), there have been 26 guy with 45 or more goals.  Seven seasons.  Of that 26, eight were from the first year back.

Come on.  That's weak.  Bring back the 3.59 GAA!

[/QUOTE]

I dont know if it will ever get to that, simply because goalies are much bigger (without padding) and better athletes today. Also, the defensive systems are far more enhanced.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I like it when the best goalies in the league have a GAA around 2.2 - 2.8 range. Felix Potvin was awesome in 1992-1993 with a 2.5 GAA.  In the 90's a 1-0 game was special.  It's not as much anymore.

On the other hand a small tip of the scales could bring us back to the point where average star power are challenging records they don't seem to deserve.  It seems to be pretty good right now, but I would like the pads to be reigned in.

In answer your question of the 1-0 SO goal NAS, I would like to eliminate the SO, continue the Four on Four sudden death, go to 3 on 3 after the first 5 mins if you want.  Make every game worth 2 points or three points.  But your right that is another conversation for another day.

Sections
Shortcuts