Goalies Getting the Gear Downsized Again...YES!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Goalies Getting the Gear Downsized Again...YES!

I don't mind reduction of the "thigh protectors" matter of fact I think what you will see is the goalie gear will be coming with padding that will wrap around the area that gets exposed between the pad & the pants. I cut my protectors off by about 2" and just have that tiny area protected. I don't have a over sized chest& shoulder gear either. I play a"shoot & react" type style so the bigger stuff slows my reaction time down. I don' think there will be that much of an increase of goal scoring, but I think you'll certainly see who the "elites" of the world are. Goalie's like Lundqvist, Rinne & especially Crawford will be the hardest hit. Rask's gear isn't big at all & I don't see him having any issues. He's lanky with, or without gear & he's actually is one of the smallest looking goalies in the league even though he's 6' 3".     

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

This is a good start, hopefully it gets agreed to.  Keep going, shoulder/chest gear should be next for review.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nice read, I won't bring up my size of the net pet peave commentary.  OatesCam then will show up.  Since goalie pads and equipment are a subject maybe the size of the goalie whould be reduced to Kudobin size.  No goalies over 6 feet.

Off the subject remark:  Get rid of the trapezoid too.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

This is a good start, hopefully it gets agreed to.  Keep going, shoulder/chest gear should be next for review.

Hopefully, Crowls.  With today's technology, these guys don't need the stuffing from a living room sectional as upper body protection.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Hopefully, Crowls.  With today's technology, these guys don't need the stuffing from a living room sectional as upper body protection.

Hate to make this comparison, but goalies make me think of baseball catchers.  Their gear and protection has improved over time, but has remained pretty sleek.  Thinking, that's what you do when you need to be agile and quick as compared to simply eating up space.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's pretty simple, isn't it?  Take care of the protection issues without expanding the surface area goalies use to stop the puck?  Hard to say a goalie will get hurt by a puck that would have gone into the net if a pad wasn't there.  And yeah, technology should get of its asz on this one.  3-4 Billion dollar industry doesn't have the R&D to develop materials for goalie pants that will protect the upper thigh?  Or any part of the goalie?

I like the traditional look of a goaltender, so pads, blocker, trapper and stick are tools of the trade - no issue with them having some additional surface the goalies use to make saves.  But everything else is protection, including "thigh risers" which I don't consider part of traditional pads.

Are you not entertained?!?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The upper thigh is not an issue.The pants have plenty of padding for the upper thigh.  I have never in 30 plus years of goaltending got a bruise on my upper thigh. When butterfly became popular and your pads go to the side while going down the knees became exposed. They put boards on them to block pucks from getting through to the knee and  called them thigh risers since thats where they are while you are standing up straight. Now, they are more designed, bigger, to block pucks from going in there at all.

When Tuuka goes down in the butterfly, 90% of the time his pads meet and theres nothing there. Being tall and athletic, he can do this. Same with Price. Crawford, when he goes down, leaves an opening, so he has the the longer thigh risers wich stop pucks once they get past the opening in his pads. I'll try to put pics in but it's hard from my IPad.

To me the thigh risers are an issue, but the bigger issue is the size of the pad. (height)..Look where Corey Crawfords pads are while he is standing straight up. Right below his stomach. Same with Tim Thomas. I would see the height of the pads as more of a priority.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The upper thigh is not an issue.The pants have plenty of padding for the upper thigh.  I have never in 30 plus years of goaltending got a bruise on my upper thigh. When butterfly became popular and your pads go to the side while going down the knees became exposed. They put boards on them to block pucks from getting through to the knee and  called them thigh risers since thats where they are while you are standing up straight. Now, they are more designed, bigger, to block pucks from going in there at all.

When Tuuka goes down in the butterfly, 90% of the time his pads meet and theres nothing there. Being tall and athletic, he can do this. Same with Price. Crawford, when he goes down, leaves an opening, so he has the the longer thigh risers wich stop pucks once they get past the opening in his pads. I'll try to put pics in but it's hard from my IPad.

To me the thigh risers are an issue, but the bigger issue is the size of the pad. (height)..Look where Corey Crawfords pads are while he is standing straight up. Right below his stomach. Same with Tim Thomas. I would see the height of the pads as more of a priority.

A very interesting point, thanks kel.  It seems that the current height of the thigh pads can actually be used as a means of negating the advantages of size, flexibility, or natural talent.  An equalizer of sorts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Actually, Fletch, you dont need them at all. Vaughn,RBK and CCM came out with knee gaurds that go right over your knees. Think of what a carpenter wears on his knees while working. They can go over your socks, provide all the protection without taking up space. Just need to get used to them..I prefer these as they they prtect the knee cap and the immediate area around it. All I need so I can work the next day.

I guarantee you every NHL goalie has them on. Kevin Weekes did a segment on them explaining how to break them in and says he has worn them his whole career. Pure Hockey and Goalie Monkey have sold them for years now.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-knee-guards-7450-sr.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

kelvana has it right. ;; downsize excess goalie padding;;; go back to wooden sticks;;replace the curent armor shoulder and elbow pads. Technology allready exists to limit the hardness and still provide protection enough to stop bullets. The curent padding makes a mockery of any comparison with games played more than 5-8 years ago. the cages in youth hockey and college make a high stick a natural reflex, so change all to clear face or eye shields; the carbon stick makes it an extension of arm movement while wooden sticks make an improved awareness of where the stick is positioned due to weight

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seriously.  Give me a fxxxing break.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Looks where his knee is and look at the pad above it.

WHAT A JOKE!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay.  Last one:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No, not done yet:

Henrik Lundqvist - 2012 Tim Hortons NHL All-Star Game

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

kelvana has it right. ;; downsize excess goalie padding;;; go back to wooden sticks;;replace the curent armor shoulder and elbow pads. Technology allready exists to limit the hardness and still provide protection enough to stop bullets. The curent padding makes a mockery of any comparison with games played more than 5-8 years ago. the cages in youth hockey and college make a high stick a natural reflex, so change all to clear face or eye shields; the carbon stick makes it an extension of arm movement while wooden sticks make an improved awareness of where the stick is positioned due to weight

This will be the last to happen if at all. One of the reasons the shoulder and elbow pads have the hard plastic shells on them is because the of the seamless glass every rink in the NHL has now. The NHL put it in for two reasons. They are easier to put up and take down, wich is better since most rinks are used for other functions. The big reason is they dont get scruffed up as much and fans can see the game better. They have no give though. Remember Neely would throw checks and the garden glass would rock back and forth. Not anymore, it's like a wall and players shoulders,heads and elbows would get injured.

Also, the elbow pads and shoulder pads have the same hard plastic used for shin pads. Two bad things come of this. One, they have no fear of laying out to block shots. I cant help but think part of the reason scoring is down is because players are throwing themselves in front of pucks. See New York Rangers. Other reason is you have players getting concussed on hits that arent even hits. Heres an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjafePVUIw

If Steckel had the old shoulder/elbow pads, I doubt Crosby even goes down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I agree the need to reduce players equipment especially the goalies gear.  Elbow and shoulders pads are brutal.  Anyone remember craig ludwigs shin pads?  They flared out on the side to block shots.  I have no issue with the sticks.  The players love how light they are, they break super easy.  if i were a dman in the nhl i would have a wood stick or two piece stick.  Makes for better slashing.  :-).  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

I have long been an opponent of the absolutely absurd goalie gear of the last 15 or so years.  The NHL is chopping it down again for next season.  They're looking to cut at least another three inches off each "thigh rise", which could also be called the "please cover my five hole".

Read it here.

I know some of the weirdo goalies here will buck against the idea, citing injury concerns.  Before you do, tell me this:  Have you ever been injured by a puck going through your five hole?  Save the "but NAS, the thigh rise protects the thighs" routine.  There are pads in the pants that do that.  Or, get a quicker glove!

I am pretty excited that they are finally coming around to cutting these ridiculous pads down.  I like 4-2, 5-3, 6-1 games a heck of a lot better than 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 games.  When multiple goalies are flirting with sub-2.00 GAA, there is a major problem.

Also, check out this info on Fasth:

In an interesting twist, Anaheim goalie Viktor Fasth confirmed to the magazine the NHL “cut the shoulder pads on his chest-and-arm unit” during the 2013 campaign — but that didn’t happen until he was already off to an 8-0-0 start.

Fasth proceeded to go 7-6-2 for the remainder of the season, though it must be said he wasn’t cheating with his pads.

The NHL originally approved his equipment, only to later make alterations when his shoulder pads looked bigger than expected.

You do realize that almost every player these days can fire a puck 100 miles an hour , right ?  Obviously you have never played goal and have no appreciation for the position.

Exactly

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Different battle for a different day.  Scoring is approaching soccer levels.  There is no more fun in any game than a goal.  Take out the fun, take out the crowd.

1-0 sucks.

2-0 sucks.

1-1 (SO) sucks wicked badly.

Since lost season/red line removal/crackdown on obstruction (not including last season), there have been 26 guy with 45 or more goals.  Seven seasons.  Of that 26, eight were from the first year back.

Come on.  That's weak.  Bring back the 3.59 GAA!

I dont know if it will ever get to that, simply because goalies are much bigger (without padding) and better athletes today. Also, the defensive systems are far more enhanced.

Exactly...scoring is down due to defensive systems now used by many teams and the fact that the goalies are much better than they used to be, take the body armor off the skaters and there will be far fewer blocked shots, more pucks to the net = more goals. Some of the goalie equipment has been getting out of hand but so has the stick technology so to me it's a wash

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I have long been an opponent of the absolutely absurd goalie gear of the last 15 or so years.  The NHL is chopping it down again for next season.  They're looking to cut at least another three inches off each "thigh rise", which could also be called the "please cover my five hole".

Read it here.

I know some of the weirdo goalies here will buck against the idea, citing injury concerns.  Before you do, tell me this:  Have you ever been injured by a puck going through your five hole?  Save the "but NAS, the thigh rise protects the thighs" routine.  There are pads in the pants that do that.  Or, get a quicker glove!

I am pretty excited that they are finally coming around to cutting these ridiculous pads down.  I like 4-2, 5-3, 6-1 games a heck of a lot better than 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 games.  When multiple goalies are flirting with sub-2.00 GAA, there is a major problem.

Also, check out this info on Fasth:

In an interesting twist, Anaheim goalie Viktor Fasth confirmed to the magazine the NHL “cut the shoulder pads on his chest-and-arm unit” during the 2013 campaign — but that didn’t happen until he was already off to an 8-0-0 start.

Fasth proceeded to go 7-6-2 for the remainder of the season, though it must be said he wasn’t cheating with his pads.

The NHL originally approved his equipment, only to later make alterations when his shoulder pads looked bigger than expected.

Great topic Costanza, this hasn't been beaten to death at all.

U claimed to be a retired writer, can u please tell me where i can find some of your work i would truly enjoy the opportunity to read some of that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

Exactly...scoring is down due to defensive systems now used by many teams and the fact that the goalies are much better than they used to be, take the body armor off the skaters and there will be far fewer blocked shots, more pucks to the net = more goals. Some of the goalie equipment has been getting out of hand but so has the stick technology so to me it's a wash

It doesn't matter how fast the shot is coming if there is less open net.

This really isn't a difficult concept.  Bigger equipment on goaltenders leaves less room for shots to go in, resulting in lower scoring games.

Stick technology, what?  The pucks are coming in faster so the goalies need larger equipment?  Help me understand that, and be sure to leave out the safety point of view.  The only thing 20" of thigh risers protect against is 5-hole goals.

Blocked shots? 

"Year","Regular Seasons","Playoffs"

"1983-84","30.597618","30.057142"
    "1984-85","30.505953","30.842857"
    "1985-86","31.052977","29.930555"
    "1986-87","30.006548","30.017241"
    "1987-88","30.43988","27.845238"
    "1988-89","30.371429","30.030487"
    "1989-90","30.265476","29.335295"
    "1990-91","29.810715","31.038462"
    "1991-92","30.504545","30.05814"
    "1992-93","30.984127","32.135296"
    "1993-94","30.297619","30.522223"
    "1994-95","29.381411","28.907408"
    "1995-96","30.25469","31.16279"
    "1996-97","29.80394","31.70122"
    "1997-98","27.340525","28.676828"
    "1998-99","27.866304","28.94186"
    "1999-00","27.975174","27.801205"
    "2000-01","27.70813","26.906977"
    "2001-02","27.581707","27.844444"
    "2002-03","28.367073","28.35955"
    "2003-04","28.051626","27.393257"
    "2005-06","29.977236","29.427711"
    "2006-07","29.583332","29.790123"
    "2007-08","29.063416","30.041176"
    "2008-09","30.202032","30.977011"
    "2009-10","30.311789","31.061798"
    "2010-11","30.389025","32.207867"
    "2011-12","29.747561","29.523256"
    "2012-13","29.141666","31.901163"

That will put an end to that 100% false premise.

In response to pauly1's comment:

Great topic Costanza, this hasn't been beaten to death at all.

U claimed to be a retired writer, can u please tell me where i can find some of your work i would truly enjoy the opportunity to read some of that.

Pauly baby, where have you been?

I always enjoy reading your insightful post. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

It doesn't matter how fast the shot is coming if there is less open net.

This really isn't a difficult concept.  Bigger equipment on goaltenders leaves less room for shots to go in, resulting in lower scoring games.

Stick technology, what?  The pucks are coming in faster so the goalies need larger equipment?  Help me understand that, and be sure to leave out the safety point of view.  The only thing 20" of thigh risers protect against is 5-hole goals.

Blocked shots? 

"Year","Regular Seasons","Playoffs"

"1983-84","30.597618","30.057142"
    "1984-85","30.505953","30.842857"
    "1985-86","31.052977","29.930555"
    "1986-87","30.006548","30.017241"
    "1987-88","30.43988","27.845238"
    "1988-89","30.371429","30.030487"
    "1989-90","30.265476","29.335295"
    "1990-91","29.810715","31.038462"
    "1991-92","30.504545","30.05814"
    "1992-93","30.984127","32.135296"
    "1993-94","30.297619","30.522223"
    "1994-95","29.381411","28.907408"
    "1995-96","30.25469","31.16279"
    "1996-97","29.80394","31.70122"
    "1997-98","27.340525","28.676828"
    "1998-99","27.866304","28.94186"
    "1999-00","27.975174","27.801205"
    "2000-01","27.70813","26.906977"
    "2001-02","27.581707","27.844444"
    "2002-03","28.367073","28.35955"
    "2003-04","28.051626","27.393257"
    "2005-06","29.977236","29.427711"
    "2006-07","29.583332","29.790123"
    "2007-08","29.063416","30.041176"
    "2008-09","30.202032","30.977011"
    "2009-10","30.311789","31.061798"
    "2010-11","30.389025","32.207867"
    "2011-12","29.747561","29.523256"
    "2012-13","29.141666","31.901163"

That will put an end to that 100% false premise.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, was I wrong. I would have guessed blocked shots over the past 5 years would have doubled blcoked shots in the 80's-early 90's.Easily. ..And thats just from watching games.

The composite sticks, one piece argument etc..Yeah players can shoot the puck faster, but that never bothered me in net. If a guy can shoot, he can shoot, doesnt matter what he has, it's his accuracy I'm more worried about. As far as safety for goalies regarding them, when I'm down in my crease and people are hacking away, I'm sure glad not many people use the wooden ones anymore, they hurt more on the back of your head.

The chest protectors,pads,blockers and gloves can all be reduced without compromising safety. The two smallest items on me, cup (that doesnt sound good) and knee gaurds happen to provide the best protection.

Wow, was I wrong. I would have guessed blocked shots over the past 5 years would have doubled blcoked shots in the 80's-early 90's.Easily. ..And thats just from watching games.

The composite sticks, one piece argument etc..Yeah players can shoot the puck faster, but that never bothered me in net. If a guy can shoot, he can shoot, doesnt matter what he has, it's his accuracy I'm more worried about. As far as safety for goalies regarding them, when I'm down in my crease and people are hacking away, I'm sure glad not many people use the wooden ones anymore, they hurt more on the back of your head.

The chest protectors,pads,blockers and gloves can all be reduced without compromising safety. The two smallest items on me, cup (that doesnt sound good) and knee gaurds happen to provide the best protection.

Thanks for the support, Kel.  According to others, because I've never played goal, I must not know what I'm talking about.

• Sections
    Shortcuts