Goalies Getting the Gear Downsized Again...YES!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: Goalies Getting the Gear Downsized Again...YES!

"God I love the Bruins."

I am also content with goalie equip. being downsize. I also like higher scoring games, if i want low scoring sports i can watch soccer, which is a sport i also like. Now NAS lets hope they can do something about the armour that the forwards and d men wear. At least start with the elbow pads and go back to a soft leather or another softer fabric. If the pads absorb do much sweat just change them through out the game. I am thinking this will help with injuries from cheap elbow shots etc.. Personally i rather be hit in the head area with leather pads then hard plastic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think they should just add a layer of foam to the outside of pads, if you cushion the strike point it will inflict less harm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to xdrive's comment:

I've had plenty of bruises 6 inches above the knee

I'd have to assume your doing something wrong/different with your equipment. Do you wear the knee wraps? Also, what kind of pads are you wearing?

Tps, they have a inner flap that helps but sometimes as u know it finds the spot that's uncovered, I prefer to keep my top strap very loose and this contributes to it, don't have the item that u showed in the previous picture.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I've had plenty of bruises 6 inches above the knee

I'd have to assume your doing something wrong/different with your equipment. Do you wear the knee wraps? Also, what kind of pads are you wearing?

What kind of pants is he wearing that he's not protected 6 inches above the knee? Sounds iike he plays in a speedo.

Pants pull up when u go down with your knees bent leaving lower thigh exposed, u can cover most of it with different types of pads but it still finds a spot because the equipment moves around when u do, quite often this happens when shots are deflected and you are not perfectly square to the puck

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm 100% certain the knee wraps will solve it, Xdrive. I took the inner flaps out as they sometimes got caught in my pants. A puck sneaks through but you'll be well protected. once they are broken in, you wont even notice them.

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It's the release off the stick that's more important than the speed and the puck comes off the stick much quicker than ever before, I agreed some of the equipment is too big 

Please explain this.

Can't wait.

Really?? This needs explaining to you? I guess you really don't know anything about goaltending not that this comes as a surprise

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I was in town this week and an old goalie buddy of mine and I visited Hockey Monkey in Norwood.  Its absolutely stunning the equipment they have on the shelf there.

We were trying on goalie pads (there must have been 200 sets there) and we never felt more like dinosaurs. The smallest pads felt like we wouldnt be able to skate onto the ice without falling down.  Yes we both wore the equipment Cheevers had on in the picture shown earlier.

The rise on the thighs is absolutely ridiculous. Many of the pads had the additional knee pads you could wear, along with the ridiculous bulky padded goalie pants. There is no legitimate argument for protection... it simply plugs up more of the net.  Crawford is a great example.

Even worse, the arm/shoulder pads were laughable. Again, love the extra protection, but the huge wings on each shoulder and width of the pads and chest protector... no wonder every goalie has a 2.00 GAA and a .930 save percentage.

Its absolutely ridiculous and the equipment has to be downsized dramatically, or the nets have to be significantly enlarged. One or the other.

I'm 100% certain the knee wraps will solve it, Xdrive. I took the inner flaps out as they sometimes got caught in my pants. A puck sneaks through but you'll be well protected. once they are broken in, you wont even notice them.

It looked like they were easy enough to get used to, maybe I will give me em a try

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I was in town this week and an old goalie buddy of mine and I visited Hockey Monkey in Norwood.  Its absolutely stunning the equipment they have on the shelf there.

We were trying on goalie pads (there must have been 200 sets there) and we never felt more like dinosaurs. The smallest pads felt like we wouldnt be able to skate onto the ice without falling down.  Yes we both wore the equipment Cheevers had on in the picture shown earlier.

The rise on the thighs is absolutely ridiculous. Many of the pads had the additional knee pads you could wear, along with the ridiculous bulky padded goalie pants. There is no legitimate argument for protection... it simply plugs up more of the net.  Crawford is a great example.

Even worse, the arm/shoulder pads were laughable. Again, love the extra protection, but the huge wings on each shoulder and width of the pads and chest protector... no wonder every goalie has a 2.00 GAA and a .930 save percentage.

Its absolutely ridiculous and the equipment has to be downsized dramatically, or the nets have to be significantly enlarged. One or the other.

Lundqvist shoulder pads are about level with his ears it is ridiculous 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I think they should just add a layer of foam to the outside of pads, if you cushion the strike point it will inflict less harm.

They do, or at least are supposed to - according to the rules there's supposed to be a half inch of foam on the outside. Maybe a full inch?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It's the release off the stick that's more important than the speed and the puck comes off the stick much quicker than ever before, I agreed some of the equipment is too big 

Please explain this.

Can't wait.

Really?? This needs explaining to you? I guess you really don't know anything about goaltending not that this comes as a surprise

Yes.  I want you to explain it. 

Can't wait.

Tell me what "It's the release off the stick that's more important than the speed and the puck comes off the stick much quicker than ever before" means.

Yeah, I'm a little confused by that too - if the puck comes off the stick quicker that's the speed. They're synonyms. Are you talking about a fast release (which isn't about the speed it coming off the stick, but the speed by which a player plays the puck)? I could see the fast release being possibly more problematic due to reaction time (not being able to read the player ahead of time and position yourself accordingly prior to the shot) but how you phrased it makes no sense.

In response to red75's comment:

Yeah, I'm a little confused by that too - if the puck comes off the stick quicker that's the speed. They're synonyms. Are you talking about a fast release (which isn't about the speed it coming off the stick, but the speed by which a player plays the puck)? I could see the fast release being possibly more problematic due to reaction time (not being able to read the player ahead of time and position yourself accordingly prior to the shot) but how you phrased it makes no sense.

There will be no explanation, Red.  It's a stupid hockey term that gets passed around.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Knee wraps sometimes don't solve that problem, I still got ton of bruises upper knee and lower thigh. I was saying that in an eariler post there has to be a way to make like a hard plastic peice that can fit on your thigh. Maybe through the pants but even then pants move around a lot also. Who ever figures that out will be a millionare thats for sure. Also that is crazy taking out those inner flaps out of your pads, the thigh flaps were getting stuck in my pants sometimes but mine were adjustable not sure what leg pads you were using. I was using RBK's ,Vaughns and Brians. Side note I know a lot of people hate the RBKs but I will tell you what those were the best leg pads i have own to date.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to G4ck5's comment:

Knee wraps sometimes don't solve that problem, I still got ton of bruises upper knee and lower thigh. I was saying that in an eariler post there has to be a way to make like a hard plastic peice that can fit on your thigh. Maybe through the pants but even then pants move around a lot also. Who ever figures that out will be a millionare thats for sure. Also that is crazy taking out those inner flaps out of your pads, the thigh flaps were getting stuck in my pants sometimes but mine were adjustable not sure what leg pads you were using. I was using RBK's ,Vaughns and Brians. Side note I know a lot of people hate the RBKs but I will tell you what those were the best leg pads i have own to date.

They already did. Not sure about the other brands but Vaughn has a pair of knee wraps that connect to the pants. My brother wears pants one size bigger, he has the Vaughn knee wraps that have two holes on each at the top. he put a skate lace through them and connected them to his pants. Took 10 minutes.

He wears the RBK pads with vaughn pants. Took the inner flaps out and tied the knee wraps.

I wore the Vaughn V4 pads and took the flaps out but I didnt need to tie them to my pants. He is much taller than me so he needed it. I'm guessing your over 6 feet tall. if you do what he did you should be all set. let me know how you make out.

GOALIE NERDS!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In 70-71, season, the B's were the epitomy of strength.  They enforced their will on the entire league.  Rarely, have we witnessed a team with more firepower.  Scoring was on steroids.

The Leafs were a year or two into their well documented slide.

One aging Jacques Plante played about 2/3rds of their games that year.  His GAA was 1.88.  

The  gear reduction thing is long overdue.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/25/goalies-react-after-trying-shorter-pads/

Source: https://twitter.com/CraigAnderson41/status/370683899556270082

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"
    -Gerry Dee

I like this comment from Giguere

“Coaches and GMs, you guys want that, you’ve been asking for more goals [through the] five hole,” Giguere said. “So if your goalie gives up a goal five hole, you need to take a breath and remember that you asked for it.”

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I like this comment from Giguere

“Coaches and GMs, you guys want that, you’ve been asking for more goals [through the] five hole,” Giguere said. “So if your goalie gives up a goal five hole, you need to take a breath and remember that you asked for it.”

Me too Red. The league wants more scoring and the coaches want more shutouts. Bit of a conundrum.

It's a start.  It's not nearly enough yet, but at least the idea is out there.

Defensemen block shots all the time with their legs.  When was the last time a d-man was out with an injury above the knees due to that?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

NAS I'm pretty sure you know this, but most knee injuries for goalies occur once they've gone down to block a shot which exposes the top of the knee.

The question is when was the last time you saw a d-man drop to his knees and take a shot while facing the shooter?

NAS I'm pretty sure you know this, but most knee injuries for goalies occur once they've gone down to block a shot which exposes the top of the knee.

The question is when was the last time you saw a d-man drop to his knees and take a shot while facing the shooter?

Who was the last goalie that missed a game from that? 

Or, if they are injured in that fashion, what's the point of the outrageous pads?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Shades of Patrick Roy on steriod pads. More reduction of pads?? means more enjoyable hockey in my book.  Concussiions aside but how much more protection does a goalie need other than a well schooled referee!

If a goalie is on his knees, the thigh riser is flat against the ice.

• Sections
    Shortcuts