1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Good column from Grantland

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

most of these kind of articles needn't be taken so literally.  there should be an element of interpretation.  the headline is just that.  something to grab attention.

the writer makes "some' valid points.

for whatever reason, labour unrest has been a huge issue while Bettman has been at the helm.  hostilities have never been higher since he came into play, and that's no way to grow a partnership(post cap era).

of course it's not "all" his fault, but it's pretty near impossible to be successful when 2 groups are constantly pulling in opposite directions.  The guy at the top always gets pinned for both good and bad, and right or wrong, Bettman has cultivated an environment of mistrust, hate and confrontation.  None of his predacessors ever achieved his high water mark in those area's.  It's not hard to improve on that, and although those qualities were maybe needed a few years ago, a fresh start needs to be considered now.

I think even Bettman knows that, and I wouldn't be surprised if he considers his options when this thing gets put to bed.  Players, Coaches and GM's have shelf lives.  League presidents do too.  

[/QUOTE]

Bettman achieved a high water mark in revenues. And thats all that matters. Nothing else. If Bettman werent commisioner there proabably wouldnt be as many work stoppages because their wouldnt be that much money to fight over. Players can say what they want about him, but they make those salaries because of him.

[/QUOTE]

You're making a lot of assumptions there kel.  NBA revenues have increased better than the NHL's, in a shorter period of time, so maybe it isn't so much about Bettman.  There is absolutely nothing...anywhere... that suggessts the NHL's revenues are directly proportional to Bettmans employment situation with the league.

There is no logic whatsoever....anywhere, that would support the notion that players make what they do because of Bettman, and it's pretty much accepted everywhere...that even if revenues were 2.2 billion....the league would no longer agree to 57%.  

[/QUOTE]

Because basketball is MUCH more popular in the United States and around the world, its not hard to see how revenues have increased more for the NBA.More people are buying more NBA related merchandise. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets see here the NHLs HRR wasn't nearly as good as it got too before Bettman but the growth is not "proportional to Bettmans employment situation"!? How dumb! Comparing the NBA to the NHL in revenues is like thinking "Ziegler and Campbell took the NHL to great hieghts". I'm sure you could get a few current owners,that were around pre-Bettman, to agree that they could care less about their commisioners poularity or how well  Ziegler plays cards with Allan Eagelson at a miniumum sercurity prison.

The NHL board of govenors needed a commisioner who they could trust to start chipping away at the NBAs grasp of the US sports consumption market during the winter. Bettman has grown the league by leaps and bounds financially with the belief that the NHL will never  overtake the NBA or NFL but get some of the market compared to the lug-nuts Ziegler and Campbell.

Being a commisioner of the big four leagues is about what the owners think of you not what the fans think. There wouldn't be a strike if Bettman wasn't in charge of the league because there would NO market growth for advertisors to come knocking. Jacobs, Illitch etc. took David Sterns reccomendation and the NHL HRR sky rocketed.

Bettman does what the owners tell him to do as far as CBA negotiations. The owners don't have anything to do with Bettman when it comes to getting a major network like NBC to come onboard sign the biggets NHL TV contract in the history of the league after Ziegler and Campbell couldn't convince US major TV networks to stay the course.

What did Ziegler and Campbell do to become so much more popular over Bettman ?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they did absolutely nothing but attend playoff games and smile for the camera. Campbell actually had a hard time going to games without being harrassed(check out Richard riots). nothing to grow the game

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lets see here the NHLs HRR wasn't nearly as good as it got too before Bettman but the growth is not "proportional to Bettmans employment situation"!? How dumb! Comparing the NBA to the NHL in revenues is like thinking "Ziegler and Campbell took the NHL to great hieghts". I'm sure you could get a few current owners,that were around pre-Bettman, to agree that they could care less about their commisioners poularity or how well  Ziegler plays cards with Allan Eagelson at a miniumum sercurity prison.

The NHL board of govenors needed a commisioner who they could trust to start chipping away at the NBAs grasp of the US sports consumption market during the winter. Bettman has grown the league by leaps and bounds financially with the belief that the NHL will never  overtake the NBA or NFL but get some of the market compared to the lug-nuts Ziegler and Campbell.

Being a commisioner of the big four leagues is about what the owners think of you not what the fans think. There wouldn't be a strike if Bettman wasn't in charge of the league because there would NO market growth for advertisors to come knocking. Jacobs, Illitch etc. took David Sterns reccomendation and the NHL HRR sky rocketed.

Bettman does what the owners tell him to do as far as CBA negotiations. The owners don't have anything to do with Bettman when it comes to getting a major network like NBC to come onboard sign the biggets NHL TV contract in the history of the league after Ziegler and Campbell couldn't convince US major TV networks to stay the course.

What did Ziegler and Campbell do to become so much more popular over Bettman ?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they did absolutely nothing but attend playoff games and smile for the camera. Campbell actually had a hard time going to games without being harrassed(check out Richard riots). nothing to grow the game

[/QUOTE]

I hated seeing Ziegler  just behind the Molson's at the Forum on any given Saturday night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

most of these kind of articles needn't be taken so literally.  there should be an element of interpretation.  the headline is just that.  something to grab attention.

for whatever reason, labour unrest has been a huge issue while Bettman has been at the helm.  hostilities have never been higher since he came into play, and that's no way to grow a partnership(post cap era).

of course it's not "all" his fault, but it's pretty near impossible to be successful when 2 groups are constantly pulling in opposite directions.  The guy at the top always gets pinned for both good and bad, and right or wrong, Bettman has cultivated an environment of mistrust, hate and confrontation.  None of his predacessors ever achieved his high water mark in those area's.  It's not hard to improve on that, and although those qualities were maybe needed a few years ago, a fresh start needs to be considered now.

I think even Bettman knows that, and I wouldn't be surprised if he considers his options when this thing gets put to bed.  Players, Coaches and GM's have shelf lives.  League presidents do too.  

[/QUOTE]

Bettman achieved a high water mark in revenues. And thats all that matters. Nothing else. If Bettman werent commisioner there proabably wouldnt be as many work stoppages because their wouldnt be that much money to fight over. Players can say what they want about him, but they make those salaries because of him.

[/QUOTE]

You're making a lot of assumptions there kel.  NBA revenues have increased better than the NHL's, in a shorter period of time, so maybe it isn't so much about Bettman.  There is absolutely nothing...anywhere... that suggessts the NHL's revenues are directly proportional to Bettmans employment situation with the league.

There is no logic whatsoever....anywhere, that would support the notion that players make what they do because of Bettman, and it's pretty much accepted everywhere...that even if revenues were 2.2 billion....the league would no longer agree to 57%.  

[/QUOTE]

I see people blaming Bettman for the lockout but not giving him credit for the growth in revenues...Look at how much revenues have grown since Bettman has become commisioner...Now those owners who employ him spent that money like teenage girls with a credit card.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see people blaming Bettman for the lockout but not giving him credit for the growth in revenues...Look at how much revenues have grown since Bettman has become commisioner...Now those owners who employ him spent that money like teenage girls with a credit card.

[/QUOTE]

We're certianly in agreement that Bettman doesn't deserve "all" the blame.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

i couldn't care less about how much revenue the nhl has generated since Bettman's been in charge....

all i care about is watching hockey once October comes around and this is the third time that isn't happening since his reign began....  3 lockouts, 0 strikes....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

stevegm,

Tell me more about Ziegler's popularity with the owners as compared to Bettman's.

I see league revenues at an all time high and francise values there also.

Tell me why Ziegler's accomplishments made him more popular.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The NHL outdraws the NBA.

The NBA makes more in merchandising and with their TV contracts.

The NBA is not as popular as you think outside of the US, and especially not in Europe.

And if the Canadian dollar hadn't recovered the 35% against the US dollar, there would be no lockout today because the revenues wouldn't have topped $3 billion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you think Ziegler and Campbell were popular?

[/QUOTE]

Much "more" popular.  Absolutely, without question.  Do you think there'll ever be a Gary Bettman trophy? 

[/QUOTE]

Wow, stevegm, that's quite a stretch.  What did the Prince of Wales do for the NHL?

[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is getting priceless.  Please take a moment and review my posts on this thread.  If you take just one minute...you'll see that it was YOU...who introduced "popularity"..

I opined that, "hostilities have never been higher" since Bettman came into the picture.  I opined that Bettman has cultivated an "environment of hate, mistrust, and confrontation", that basically "exceeds" that of any of his predecessors.

Those aren't really extreme opinions nas.  

No one said anything about Ziegler or Campbell, but you.  You asked a question, and I merely answered, and stand by that opinion.  Not that it matters whatsoever....but since you asked, Yes, I believe any current survey would support the idea that Bettman is very unpopular.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

LOL

You opined?  What kind of complete and total deebag are you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Much "more" popular.  Absolutely, without question.  Do you think there'll ever be a Gary Bettman trophy? 

[/QUOTE]

The statements here are very clear.  I asked a question.  You answered it.  So, tell me about the popularity of Ziegler and Campbell as compared to Bettman.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow, this is getting priceless.  Please take a moment and review my posts on this thread.  If you take just one minute...you'll see that it was YOU...who introduced "popularity"..

I opined that, "hostilities have never been higher" since Bettman came into the picture.  I opined that Bettman has cultivated an "environment of hate, mistrust, and confrontation", that basically "exceeds" that of any of his predecessors.

No one said anything about Ziegler or Campbell, but you.  You asked a question, and I merely answered, and stand by that opinion.  Not that it matters whatsoever....but since you asked, Yes, I believe any current survey would support the idea that Bettman is very unpopular.

[/QUOTE]

Who do you think preceeded Bettman?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

LOL

You opined?  What kind of complete and total deebag are you?

[/QUOTE]

don't know what that means huh?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^^The most sensible thing said in the thread^^^

I've never lost a job, because I was inadaquate & I think if the owners didn't see that Bettman has given them every possible way to make money he would've been gone after the 1st lockout. I think the owner's brought Bettman on board because they knew basketball was the "only" sport that they could compete with. You can't compete against a sport that has 60,000-80,000 fans in a stadium. You try & compete against a sport that has the same number of people in an arena. Bettman helped basketball in it's growth & getting great TV coverage. The NHL owners needed that & they got their man. They could care less about how the fans feel about Bettman. The guy has done more for this league than any other leader the NHL has ever had. A TV contract on a major network, pro's allowed in the Oylmpics, record revenue because of events like the Winter Classic, HBO specials AND he's the only leader in any professional sport that takes time for the fans every week to speak to them directly! It's not Bettman's fault that the owners can't make money. He's given them every opportunity to. It's not Bettman's fault that owners decide to take from the players to cover their mistakes! And the players shouldn't be going off on Bettman either & they know that, but they can't sound off on their owners can they? Be kind of a weird situation for Ian White to walk by Ilich after calling him an idiot wouldn't it? How many times will Versteeg, or Barch see Bettman face to face?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The statements here are very clear.  I asked a question.  You answered it.  So, tell me about the popularity of Ziegler and Campbell as compared to Bettman.

[/QUOTE]

You're just plain stupid.  Tell me about the popularity of Bettman compared to Ziegler and Campbell.

I already answered your ridiculous question.  If you disagree, state why.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^^The most sensible thing said in the thread^^^

I've never lost a job, because I was inadaquate & I think if the owners didn't see that Bettman has given them every possible way to make money he would've been gone after the 1st lockout. I think the owner's brought Bettman on board because they knew basketball was the "only" sport that they could compete with. You can't compete against a sport that has 60,000-80,000 fans in a stadium. You try & compete against a sport that has the same number of people in an arena. Bettman helped basketball in it's growth & getting great TV coverage. The NHL owners needed that & they got their man. They could care less about how the fans feel about Bettman. The guy has done more for this league than any other leader the NHL has ever had. A TV contract on a major network, pro's allowed in the Oylmpics, record revenue because of events like the Winter Classic, HBO specials AND he's the only leader in any professional sport that takes time for the fans every week to speak to them directly! It's not Bettman's fault that the owners can't make money. He's given them every opportunity to. It's not Bettman's fault that owners decide to take from the players to cover their mistakes! And the players shouldn't be going off on Bettman either & they know that, but they can't sound off on their owners can they? Be kind of a weird situation for Ian White to walk by Ilich after calling him an idiot wouldn't it? How many times will Versteeg, or Barch see Bettman face to face?

[/QUOTE]

Some people agree with your thought, that Bettman was brought on because of his NBA expertise.  I'm not sure he's due too much credit there.  The NBA has done just fine without him and are easily matching the growth seen in the NHL.  His position within the NBA wasn't the same either.

Having said that, I agree that Bettman is getting  more bad press than he deserves.  He doesn't own the league, he works there, and basically does what he's told.

I also agree that the garbage coming from White et al is ridiculous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who do you think preceeded Bettman?

[/QUOTE]

what could be more irrelevant to this conversation than who "proceeded Bettman"?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Much "more" popular.  Absolutely, without question.  Do you think there'll ever be a Gary Bettman trophy? [/QUOTE]

Please explain how Ziegler and Campbell were more popular than Bettman ?

Please explain why popularity amongst the fans for a commisioner, in any of the big four sports, is important to the team owners who hire and employ the commissioners ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Bettman and Fehr are good scapegoats. While they don't deserve all the blame, I do blame them for not getting a mediator involved.

They are at an impasse. Both sides think they're right. Just get a mediator, pay him a million and be done with it.

Soon football season will be over and golf is getting too cold. What am I going to do if there is no hockey this year? Read a book?? Volunteer?? Work more? F That.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I mean this board has regressed to people just attacking each other instead of other team's fans. What has become of this world when everyone is being cordial to 49-North. Unacceptable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

Much "more" popular.  Absolutely, without question.  Do you think there'll ever be a Gary Bettman trophy? [/QUOTE]

Please explain how Ziegler and Campbell were more popular than Bettman ?

Please explain why popularity amongst the fans for a commisioner, in any of the big four sports, is important to the team owners who hire and employ the commissioners ?

[/QUOTE]

Please explain why you would ask such a stupid question.  I never sang the praises of popularity, nor introduced it to this thread.  I didn't say, nor imply that "popularity" should be important to team "owners who hire and employ...", I just answered a dumb, irrelevant question.  While we're on the subject though....I'll go out on a limb and suggest a commisioner who is "unpopular" with the owners, "may" not have much job security.

The reason I think both ex's were more popular, is because I believe both were "less hated".  Not a proveable fact, but certainly a notion that can't be considered baseless.

Of all that's been written on this thread, I'm astounded you'd be so inane as to nit pik me on someone elses pettiness.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The NHL outdraws the NBA.

The NBA makes more in merchandising and with their TV contracts.

The NBA is not as popular as you think outside of the US, and especially not in Europe.

And if the Canadian dollar hadn't recovered the 35% against the US dollar, there would be no lockout today because the revenues wouldn't have topped $3 billion.

[/QUOTE]

That is what I was thinking when I read that post.  The NBA is not more popular in the world imo.  Maybe in Italy, Spain and Greece but not in Russia, Finland, Sweden and even Great Britain.  

Any who, the blame game is stupid.  It is a different set of circumstances now that in 2004.  Bettman and Fehr are stewarts of a ship in the horse latitudes.  Both are not being creative.  

North it was a amusing read and this paragraph summed up his arguement: 

The case against Bettman in one sentence: The NHL sacrificed an entire season so they could reimagine their entire salary structure … and only seven years later, that "reimagining" went so poorly that they might have to sacrifice a second season because they need a mulligan.

Limited thinking in that remark!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] In response to stevegm's comment: Do you think Ziegler and Campbell were popular?

Please explain why you would ask such a stupid question.  I never sang the praises of popularity, nor introduced it to this thread.  I didn't say, nor imply that "popularity" should be important to team "owners who hire and employ...", I just answered a dumb, irrelevant question.  While we're on the subject though....I'll go out on a limb and suggest a commisioner who is "unpopular" with the owners, "may" not have much job security.

The reason I think both ex's were more popular, is because I believe both were "less hated". [/QUOTE]

"Bettman has cultivated an environment of mistrust, hate and confrontation.  None of his predacessors ever achieved his high water mark in those area's.  It's not hard to improve on that, and although those qualities were maybe needed a few years ago, a fresh start needs to be considered now.

I think even Bettman knows that, and I wouldn't be surprised if he considers his options when this thing gets put to bed.  Players, Coaches and GM's have shelf lives.  League presidents do too."

You are suggesting that Bettman has created a certain environment which  should lead to his dismisal or resignation. This is what prompted  the question of popularity.

Bettman helped bring in the biggest tv contract in NHL history and record HRR over the last several years. The owners could give a hoot about certain hockey fans perception of how he does against his predecessor(s) nor how many fans boo him at a cup presentation.

There is direct correlation to Bettman and the growth of the NHL money wise. If you want to keep denying that then you are the one being silly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

Bettman helped bring in the biggest tv contract in NHL history and record HRR over the last several years. The owners could give a hoot about certain hockey fans perception of how he does against his predecessor(s) nor how many fans boo him at a cup presentation.

[/QUOTE]

It's expected that the newest TV deal, is the biggest in history .  Unless these birds screw everything totally up, the next TV deal will probably be the biggest in league history, and that'll happen regardless who is running the league.

I never suggested anything about "certain hockey fans" or "booing" either. 

Percentage wide, growth really took off after 05-06, however, the NHL lost ground to the NBA.  I don't see reason to applaud Bettman in that category.  I never suggested Bettman was incapable, never suggested he hasn't done some good.  I did suggest he's a lightning rod for negativity, and yes, I openly wondered if it's time for him to move on.  What gets your panties in such a knot?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I mean this board has regressed to people just attacking each other instead of other team's fans. What has become of this world when everyone is being cordial to 49-North. Unacceptable.

[/QUOTE]

These are strange times, indeed.

Sections
Shortcuts