Goodbye to Horton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Re: Goodbye to Horton?

People must be tired of winning in the playoffs bc thats what will stop if we get rid of Horton. Im so sick of these message boards idiots who thing they know whats good for the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

People must be tired of winning in the playoffs bc thats what will stop if we get rid of Horton. Im so sick of these message boards idiots who thing they know whats good for the team.

You are right.  No Horton, no wins.

Although, I'm not sure how Chicago is winning without Horton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Ference will be gone at 2.25

Jagr's 1.1 will be gone

Peverley and Keel's salaries are a drag... maybe PC gets creative there.

And rask's hit this year is 3.5... if gets a multiyear raise to 5, thats only a 1.5 raise.

Hortons 5 would only be a 1 mil raise...

??

there was this thing called a lockout and this thing called the salary cap is going down. also, leave and don't come back. 

I know there was a lockout and that the cap is going down. But all the scenarios seem to calculate +5 for Horton and +5-6 for Rask. Its actually +1 and +1.5. None of them count the other calculations.

If the Pens can field an All Star team and even the Wings got their stars to fit into a team concept, I dont see how Horton cant be kept using some creativity.

[/QUOTE]

it's also +2 for lucic, +2 for marchand, +5ish for seguin (really more like +2 with his rookie bonuses). Sure you subtract for Ference but add the 650K for bart. 1.7 for krug. Maybe do 5 seconds of reading before spouting your idiotic opinions. or just honor your word and don't come back. loser. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Detriot will be looking to add a 20 something forward as well.  [QUOTE]

Toronto will not waste time on the 1st day of free agency, they will out bid all, they will overpay and howl all summer how they stole Horton. 

There will be planty of teams who drive the price up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

I'm afraid Horton will be missed more than we thinkwhen he;s gone . That double barrelled power forward gig that line pulls off come playoff time is a joy to watch. He plays bigger in the playoffs.   Cherry was saying last night he separates his shoulder every time he fights now, didn't know that and it explains the lack of fighting that I miss from him. And obviously his concussion issues impact his scrapping. PLUS 17!!

If what Cherry says is true, to me it makes even more sense to let Nathan walk.  Concussion history, problem shoulder, I'm all set with those types of risks.  Is he playing well right now, most definitely he is.  However, if the Bruins are to wheel & deal to make cap room, I would rather it be for a player with less risk like Clarkson.  If Nathan walks, the PC will need to find another power forward to replace him, not necessarily a 1st line PF, but he will need to add some size/jam, I don't see anyone in Providence filling that role.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

really can't wait until the season is over eh? as of today he is a large part of the reason they are where they're at (2 gwg). but let's go ahead and talk about him like he's a ghost in skates! there are a thousand storylines to discuss, and this is a topic? not the time- i really don't get it. love the opening line of the OP. it's like saying " i mean no disrespect"- then going on to be disrespectful. but you know... it's not disrespectful because you said 'i mean no disrespect". live in the present, he's part of this team, and this team is up 1-0 in the conference finals.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:

really can't wait until the season is over eh? as of today he is a large part of the reason they are where they're at (2 gwg). but let's go ahead and talk about him like he's a ghost in skates! there are a thousand storylines to discuss, and this is a topic? not the time- i really don't get it. love the opening line of the OP. it's like saying " i mean no disrespect"- then going on to be disrespectful. but you know... it's not disrespectful because you said 'i mean no disrespect". live in the present, he's part of this team, and this team is up 1-0 in the conference finals.  

Like what?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Letting Horton go seems to be PC's plan. He allready has Soderberg in the 58 mil. Soderberg is big, fast, and supposedly a goal scorer. That leaves Rask for 5 mil; now 63; which includes Savard's 4.1; so call it 5.1 available whether they use the disability or Savard retires. Spooner has shown that he can score, so return Seguin to Bergeron's line and add Spooner between Kelly and Peverly, who are both earning their stripes in the playoffs. I don't like carying Jagr for the regular season at all; maybe he can coach ? Spooner, Bart, and Krug fill out the club

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Like what?

I was thinking about starting a "Favorite Seinfeld Episode" thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

You never know.  We have great doctors in Boston, which he should absolutely factor into his decision.  It also seems like he loves playing with Krejci and Lucic.  They seem like three guys who genuinely like each other.

If you asked me before the playoffs if Horton was coming back, I would have answered no.

If you ask me now, I'm probably going to answer: probably not.

If his play over the last two series was enough to upgrade my opinion from a "no" to a "probably not", its possible that, if he keepls playing like this, his return status will be ugraded all the way to "maybe" on the Drewski-meter by year end.

Disclaimer: The Drewski-meter is wildly inaccurate and should be taken w a grain of salt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Right now: we are 6+ under for next year.  Lets assume that 100% of that goes to goaltending.

Amnesty clause Savard, buy out Peverley creates ~6.25M.  Of course, Jacobs is going to have to be willing to eat this.  Also: you have two defensive spots open (6th and 7th).  There goes 2M.

Down to about 4 with 10 forwards under contract.  Yeah, its going to be tough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Like what?

i don't know... one where you let a troll really affect your mental well-being? before you go ahead and tell me, "it in no way affects my life"- it clearly does. other topics to discuss... i don't know, how about ANYTHING but what kind of team the bruins will have NEXT year, when that should be the furthest thing from our minds. topic #1.. how good the PK looked? topic #2... is fleury in game 3, if the pens lose tonight? topic #3... how was ference's play in his first game back in a while? i'll stop there, but i'm sure your next post will be something like - but you said thousands!  really... a "good bye to horton" thread after game one of the ECF? i guess it's still better better than you starting a thread to let the board troll "you win"- how sad 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Feel free to start any of those threads.

100 Plus...starting AGAIN now!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Like what?

i don't know... one where you let a troll really affect your mental well-being? before you go ahead and tell me, "it in no way affects my life"- it clearly does. other topics to discuss... i don't know, how about ANYTHING but what kind of team the bruins will have NEXT year, when that should be the furthest thing from our minds. topic #1.. how good the PK looked? topic #2... is fleury in game 3, if the pens lose tonight? topic #3... how was ference's play in his first game back in a while? i'll stop there, but i'm sure your next post will be something like - but you said thousands!  really... a "good bye to horton" thread after game one of the ECF? i guess it's still better better than you starting a thread to let the board troll "you win"- how sad 

[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering to myself what will happen to Horton next year while waiting for the next game to start.Like someone said before, don't get so wigged out.Is it the stress of the playoffs thats getting to you? If you don't like the subject, ignore the thread, simple as that.Go B'sss!!!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Last thing I want to think about right now....is who's gonna go in the offseason.  I can't think of anything more negative, or wasteful.  It's been decades, since we've had the horsepower of the last few years. 

Drink it up.

This is no time to dither over next years "maybe's". 

Umm Steve? I like your post usually, but I think you're way outta line here. Who do you think you are? It's not a trolling thread, but I very realistic & reasonable one. You're response is BS bud! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Letting Horton go seems to be PC's plan. He allready has Soderberg in the 58 mil. Soderberg is big, fast, and supposedly a goal scorer. That leaves Rask for 5 mil; now 63; which includes Savard's 4.1; so call it 5.1 available whether they use the disability or Savard retires. Spooner has shown that he can score, so return Seguin to Bergeron's line and add Spooner between Kelly and Peverly, who are both earning their stripes in the playoffs. I don't like carying Jagr for the regular season at all; maybe he can coach ? Spooner, Bart, and Krug fill out the club

Spooner has shown that he can score at the AHL level. So has Chris Bourque. Neither have proven that they can score at the NHL level, though.

I'm all for bringing Spooner up; I'm a big advocate of that, as I think he has first-line POTENTIAL, but that's all it is at this point. He seems like he could be a Krejci-caliber player, and he led all AHL rookies in scoring this year.

I see what you're saying, but there is a huge risk involved there. We don't know what he's going to produce. Some guys step and pretty much produce at a similar clip as they did at the AHL after a few months of getting adjusted (Krejci, Marchand). Some guys step in and flounder (Bourque).

The Bruins run a system that is dependent on being able to win battles in the corners. Chris Bourque is the cautionary tale for Ryan Spooner. If he's stronger on his skates than Bourque, and can win puck battles in the corner better than Bourque, then I like his chances. Krejci, Spooner and Bourque are all pretty undersized guys (at least when Krejci was younger and before he put on 10-15 pounds of muscle), but Krejci has proven to be able to win puck battles against the bigger guys in the NHL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering to myself what will happen to Horton next year while waiting for the next game to start.Like someone said before, don't get so wigged out.Is it the stress of the playoffs thats getting to you? If you don't like the subject, ignore the thread, simple as that.GoB'sss!!!!! 

[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I love Horton's play-off game. As maddening as he can be at times, but so can DK during the season. However, I honestly want DK & Horton remain Bruins a while longer. I think they way they elevate their game in the post season is a beatufil thing. I don't know if it's possible for PC to pull something off, but if there is a way? I hope he finds it & does it. If Nathan would continue to stay at a $4mill cap hit & buy out Peverly, or Kelly OR BOTH is a way to keep him. I hope PC does it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I saw someone on here posting that Knight was a viable option with the big club? Since when? He hasn't produced squat at the AHL level. 

I want the Bruins to keep Horton, but I'm a realist in that they would either need to buy out contracts of some players (likely Kelly or Peverley), or would need to trade some roster players for some mid-round draft picks.

If I had my choice, I'd hope that they'd find a way to shed Kelly's cap hit to keep Horton; I'd rather have a hole on the 3rd line than a hole on the 1st. With that, they'd also have to rely heavily on the development of some younger guys (Hamilton, Bartkowski, Krug). They'd all have to round out the 5-7 spots on the blue line.

Ference is gone, but his cap hit isn't that high anyways. However, he may take a huge discount due to his play dropping off since he signed his contract, as well as how much he absolutely loves this team and city.

All in all, I just hope they can bring him back, and if they have to buy out/trade some of the depth guys, I hope they do. He steps his game up to a whole new level in the playoffs, and they were lost last year without him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I love Horton's play-off game. As maddening as he can be at times, but so can DK during the season. However, I honestly want DK & Horton remain Bruins a while longer. I think they way they elevate their game in the post season is a beatufil thing. I don't know if it's possible for PC to pull something off, but if there is a way? I hope he finds it & does it. If Nathan would continue to stay at a $4mill cap hit & buy out Peverly, or Kelly OR BOTH is a way to keep him. I hope PC does it.

With his playoff performances, it'll be hard to keep him at 4. I'd assume he'd get a bump up to 5. Some team may dangle 5.5-6 in front of him, though, and that might cause some problems for us. In all likelihood, it'll be a contender who has a great playmaker to pair with him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

With his playoff performances, it'll be hard to keep him at 4. I'd assume he'd get a bump up to 5. Some team may dangle 5.5-6 in front of him, though, and that might cause some problems for us. In all likelihood, it'll be a contender who has a great playmaker to pair with him. 

I think he'll get offered a 3yr/5mill. With his concussion issues still a factor I don't think any contending team (which is who I think he'll want to play for) can afford much more than that. All the contending teams have cap issues. So him accepting another 3yr/4mill isn't that far fetched.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

For comparison's sake, here's the list of UFA forwards this summer:

List

It's not as sparse as I had thought it would be.  Still, his age and overall performance (viewing his regular season at least in part as an aberration) will make him an attractive option to a lot of teams.  If he insists on going to a top competitor, instead of just the highest bidder, it may put his price in a range that lets Chiarelli resign him without excessive juggling.

I think it more probable he goes for a big pay-day, though.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Weiner Scent! --

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

The other option here is that Horton's camp looks at the market, and decides he wants to wait a season, for when the cap is going up again. Assuming 8% growth, the cap would be 69.44 million after 2013-2014. Teams will be able to offer Horton a lot more then. I'm of the opinion that Horton is at his best when he is on a team like the Bruins, so perhaps, on some levels, it makes sense for him to try to take a one year deal with the Bs, in hopes of a bigger payday down the road. probably won't happen, probably wishful thinking, but i could understand why some palyers would think this way. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I picture Horton as a guy that wants to be in the playoffs. After all that time in Florida, I can't picture him going back to a situation like that. There are some teams that are likely playoff teams, or at least competitive teams, that have a ton of cap space. They are:

Winnipeg

NYI

St. Louis (I think this would actually be a really good option for Horton)

Ottawa (another good option)

Toronto (probably not)

Detroit (another pretty good option)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last thing I want to think about right now....is who's gonna go in the offseason.  I can't think of anything more negative, or wasteful.  It's been decades, since we've had the horsepower of the last few years. 

Drink it up.

This is no time to dither over next years "maybe's". 

Umm Steve? I like your post usually, but I think you're way outta line here. Who do you think you are? It's not a trolling thread, but I very realistic & reasonable one. You're response is BS bud! 

[/QUOTE]

Not outta line Nite.  My opinion.  You guys can go ahead and talk about it all you want, just saying it's not for me.  I've waited decades for these Bruins to put a few seasons together like this.  I'm loving it, and for me personally...discussing who won't be here next year, is like interrupting the joy of the wedding reception, to debate the price and location of cemetary plots, due to the inevitable down the road.

I'm a team guy.  I like this team.  I felt the same way in 72, with expansion and the WHA around the corner.  It would have taken away from that tremendous experience to spend much time thinking about Eddie Wesfall, Freddie Stanfield, Derek Sanderson, Pie MacKenzie, Cheevers, and company...playing elsewhere next season.  A more recent example is the 04 lockout.  To me...focusing on the expirtation of the CBA, later that summer, would have just subtracted from the entertainment of the playoffs.

Basically, this is a "casualty" thread.  If you like it...fine.  My preference is to experience that after hockey is over.  Not jumping up and down either, just contributing my two cents, which is hardly abstract, unsubstantiated opinion.  The OP even suggested the timing may be better down the road.

This is a topic which is "only" opinion.  We both should realize there is no correct answer on this one.  You're welcome to disagree with me, and the reasons I've given for having this opinion.  As far as the BS,.. out of line, and who do think you are, comments............they're derogatory,  and totally unfair.