Goodbye Tomas Kaberle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Goodbye Tomas Kaberle

Now that his time with the Bruins is over, let's review his pros and cons.

Cons:
    1. He cost and arm and a leg. Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs and a second round pick next year.
    2. The power play did not improve, which may not have been totally his fault.

Pros:
    1. His presence on the blue allowed Julien the luxury of pairing Chara and Seidenberg that played a great part in leading the Bruins to the Stanley Cup.
    2. Provided a third D pairing with Adam McQuaid that held its own and allowed Chara and Seidenberg some rest.

Conclusion: It got us the Cup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Goodbye Tomas Kaberle

In Response to Goodbye Tomas Kaberle:
    Now that his time with the Bruins is over, let's review his pros and cons. Cons: 1. He cost and arm and a leg. Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs and a second round pick next year. 2. The power play did not improve, which may not have been totally his fault. Pros: 1. His presence on the blue allowed Julien the luxury of pairing Chara and Seidenberg that played a great part in leading the Bruins to the Stanley Cup. 2. Provided a third D pairing with Adam McQuaid that held its own and allowed Chara and Seidenberg some rest. Conclusion: It got us the Cup.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Who did he sign with?You are aware that Erhoff is still  able to re-sign with Van just as Kaberle could stay in Boston regardless of who owns negotiating rights.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

That 2nd round pick turned into Liles.
    Also, the player actually picked with the Bruins pick was Rickard Rakell.

Overall, it certainly seems like he was expensive, but it worked out and I think the Bruins could afford to over-pay.  

I guess we will see where he ends up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chiarelli took an educated guess, it helped win the CUP, but it also demonstrated Kaberle's weaknesses which helps on future decisions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's now all over twitter the reason Kaberle was offered up is what allot of us predicted Tomas is not going to stay in Boston on a discount and he shouldn't because the market will bear his demands.

Good luck and goodbye Tomas you were worth the cost too bad none of the Bruins wingers can handle passes with onetimers. Bruins forwards have to stop it, wait look around, wait for the goalie to get set then shoot :headshake: Thank goodness the Bs are the best 5 on 5 team in the league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

It got us the Cup..... isn't that the idea? I don't think any Bruin fan should be concerned that we overpaid. If we didn't win we would probably overpay to keep him. Now THAT would suck.
    n Response to Goodbye Tomas Kaberle:
    Now that his time with the Bruins is over, let's review his pros and cons. Cons: 1. He cost and arm and a leg. Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs and a second round pick next year. 2. The power play did not improve, which may not have been totally his fault. Pros: 1. His presence on the blue allowed Julien the luxury of pairing Chara and Seidenberg that played a great part in leading the Bruins to the Stanley Cup. 2. Provided a third D pairing with Adam McQuaid that held its own and allowed Chara and Seidenberg some rest. Conclusion: It got us the Cup.
    Posted by Wheatskins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Pretty ordinary player. Ordinary doesn't get you $4M+. C ya Tomas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This will go down as another classic example of going all in on a piece you think will bring you the Cup...then you win the Cup.  How much of that success can be attributed to the acquisition really won't matter (the signal from management to the players - we are going for it - will also be left aside).  Some team, or some fanbase, will cite this deal in the future and say "we gave up the farm for this guy because we believed he was the missing piece, so we did what we had to do to get him.  It didn't work out, but this is what you have to do.  Look at Boston with Kaberle...".

It reminds me of Calgary getting Ramage.  The Flames traded Brett Hull to get the former #1 overall from St. Louis.  He played a year and a half with them, and like the Avs with Bourque, it was the second year that paid dividends with a Cup in 89.  All Hull did was outscore the Golden Jet and win two Cups.  On the face of it, massive overpayment.  But Calgary won a Cup with him as #3-#4 D.

Also...said this elsewhere but I'll repeat: shopping his rights and getting no takers at any price may convince Tomas and Curran that the market for his services isn't as robust as their negotiating stance suggests.  'Til he's gone, he ain't gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Tomas Kaberle:
    Pretty ordinary player. Ordinary doesn't get you $4M+. C ya Tomas.
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

That ordinary player is 2nd to only Lidstrom for D-man points since the lockout.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

This will go down as another classic example of going all in on a piece you think will bring you the Cup...then you win the Cup.  How much of that success can be attributed to the acquisition really won't matter (the signal from management to the players - we are going for it - will also be left aside).  Some team, or some fanbase, will cite this deal in the future and say "we gave up the farm for this guy because we believed he was the missing piece, so we did what we had to do to get him.  It didn't work out, but this is what you have to do.  Look at Boston with Kaberle...". It reminds me of Calgary getting Ramage.  The Flames traded Brett Hull to get the former #1 overall from St. Louis.  He played a year and a half with them, and like the Avs with Bourque, it was the second year that paid dividends with a Cup in 89.  All Hull did was outscore the Golden Jet and win two Cups.  On the face of it, massive overpayment.  But Calgary won a Cup with him as #3-#4 D. Also...said this elsewhere but I'll repeat: shopping his rights and getting no takers at any price may convince Tomas and Curran that the market for his services isn't as robust as their negotiating stance suggests.  'Til he's gone, he ain't gone.
    Posted by Bookboy007

How about Tikannen to the NYR for Doug Weight? NYR wins the Cup and Weight still plays years after Esa is gone. Who won the deal? I'd say both teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FanfromGWN. Show FanfromGWN's posts

Sure there was a cost in trading for him but the Bruins won their first cup in 39 years and he was a part of it! I'll take the cup over a good/bad deal any day....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Opinions-R-Us. Show Opinions-R-Us's posts

Totally agree FanfromGWN!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Didn't like the deal when it happened ( gave up too much ) and wasn't a big fan of Kaberle. A lot of my Leaf buddies said 'you aren't going to like him'. I told them ' I already don't like him '. The cup was won with him on the team but I don't think he was a big factor in doing so. Oh well, mission accomplished PC whether Kaberle had a big effect or not.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BlueJackets have traded their 7th pick to the Habs to negociate for James Wisniewski.
    Kaberle might be the only D left for a team like Detroit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

They didn't trade his rights though. Or did they?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Very difficult to gauge his effect on the Cup win.  He was supposedly obtained to be the PMD they needed so badly and to fix the PP. Well, he turned it over in the defensive end as often as he carried it out, his refusal to shoot negated his threat to make a great pass and his effect on the terrible Power Play was nil.

However, the fact is he did become part of a 3 set defense that won a Cup, mainly because of their incredible total team defense. Kaberle HAS to be considered part of that unit.  The Bruins won a Cup while having a miserable PP overall, and that didn't hurt them.

So, the addition of Kabs must be considered a cog to the Cup win, just like the presence of other expensive unpopular rentals like Lugo, Matsuzaka and Drew contributed to the 2007 World Series win.

Expensive, but ALWAYS worth it for a Cup in the long run.

PS, Kabs' one-timer passes would really play well in Detroit's system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AugustusPuckus. Show AugustusPuckus's posts

They didn't trade his rights though. Or did they?
    Posted by beantowngm15

Yes CBJ now have Wiz's right until Friday at noon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Tomas Kaberle : Yes CBJ now have Wiz's right until Friday at noon.
    Posted by AugustusPuckus

The thread isn't about Wisniewski. I know the Jackets acquired his rights. I'm asking about Kaberle.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

BlueJackets have traded their 7th pick to the Habs to negociate for James Wisniewski. Kaberle might be the only D left for a team like Detroit.
    Posted by BsLegion

cross Wisniewski off the B'S list....

Columbus has been looking for a half decent offensive d-man ever since entering the nhl and will now overpay for a guy who just had a career year....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AugustusPuckus. Show AugustusPuckus's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Tomas Kaberle : The thread isn't about Wisniewski. I know the Jackets acquired his rights. I'm asking about Kaberle.
    Posted by beantowngm15

Bruins still have Kaberle's rights until Friday at noon or until they are traded before then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

So, the addition of Kabs must be considered a cog to the Cup win, just like the presence of other expensive unpopular rentals like Lugo, Matsuzaka and Drew contributed to the 2007 World Series win. Expensive, but ALWAYS worth it for a Cup in the long run. PS, Kabs' one-timer passes would really play well in Detroit's system. Posted by SoxFanInIL

And then you come back with some really good observations good post!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Goodbye Tomas Kaberle:
    Now that his time with the Bruins is over, let's review his pros and cons. Cons: 1. He cost and arm and a leg. Joe Colborne, Tyler Biggs and a second round pick next year.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Joe Colborne has don't nothing.  Tyler Biggs has done nothing.  The second round pick has done nothing.

The B's won the Cup.

Cons:  0

Pros:  All

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Tomas Kaberle : cross Wisniewski off the B'S list.... Columbus has been looking for a half decent offensive d-man ever since entering the nhl and will now overpay for a guy who just had a career year....
    Posted by days-of-Orr

Just 'cause CBJ has Wisniewski's rights doesn't mean he won't hit the open market. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there was a player last year whose rights were traded twice before he hit the open market. Anyone else remember that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Goodbye Tomas Kaberle : Joe Colborne has don't nothing.  Tyler Biggs has done nothing.  The second round pick has done nothing. The B's won the Cup. Cons:  0 Pros:  All
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You couldn't be more right Nas. Those who complain about the"king's ransom" given up for Kaberle need to have their heads checked.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Tomas Kaberle : You couldn't be more right Nas. Those who complain about the"king's ransom" given up for Kaberle need to have their heads checked.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Disagree.  Winning the cup doesn't cure the common cold and it doesn't give the team a free pass on any and all moves.  It is possible that acquiring Kaberle was a bad trade.  We can debate it's merits without being psychotic. 

Sections
Shortcuts