Goon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Goon

Somebody's not going to like this new hockey movie. At least they'd didn't title the movie after the lame expression being used around here. Using it is prohibited on this thread . Game misconducts will be given out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7z1ezk3kTg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: Goon

Ive seen the previews for this before.  It has nothing to do with hockey really.  Its "Road House" revolving around hockey instead of a bar is all.  No big deal either way.  It might paint the league in some sort of negative light, but at the same time I think most realize that its fictional and no big deal.  Anyone who throws a fit about it has nothing better to do.

Theyll never recreate the magic of SlapShot (not saying this is what theyre trying to do), but we've seen them try before.  For various reasons, SlapShot is a classic and works.  Its from a time, a place, a mentality that cant be recreated today.  This will go over big with certain hockey fans, but I dont think youll see hockey fans running out to see this movie.  Ill see it, but not because I think its a hockey movie, it looks like a funny comedy. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

I'll take a Road House every day of the week, especially if Derek Sutton is in it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sizzled. Show Sizzled's posts

Road House is setting the bar WAY too high....Brad Wesley was a pretty ruthless guy until Dalton came to town.

Seriously though, this Goon movies looks pretty lame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

OK, first of all, Road House SUCKS!  Its a REALLY LAME movie.  But, if you like Swayze or bar fight movies, youll like it.  It has some pretty funny parts, lots of fight scenes, couple boobies, etc., and Goon looks like the same thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Goon:
    [QUOTE]OK, first of all, Road House SUCKS!  Its a REALLY LAME movie.  But, if you like Swayze or bar fight movies, youll like it.  Has has some pretty funny parts, lots of fight scenes, couple boobies, etc., and Goon looks like the same thing.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    This looks like it'll have more laughs than Roadhouse. It doesn't look like they're marketing this as anything but a silly comedy. I'm with you. I think it might have some laughs. I'm sure I'll see it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

It's never a good sign when filmakers can't even cobble together enough interesting bits to make a halfway intriguing trailer.  Let's just say I'm not going to camp outside the theater in anticipation of this one.

Slap Shot is an interesting case.  I saw it again recently, and it's still as funny as ever.  But it was hardly intended as a flattering view of the sport.  I'm sometimes mildly surprised that fans embraced it as much as they did (and still do). 

Maybe it's because for all of its over-the-top bits, Slap Shot is really spot on in many ways in capturing the essence of hockey culture.  For all the satire, the filmakers obviously knew their stuff.  There was some genuine appreciation and empathy beneath the jabs (no pun intended).

No signs of any of that in this upcoming dog.  I wonder if any of the producers have ever seen a real hockey game? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

[QUOTE]OK, first of all, Road House SUCKS!  Its a REALLY LAME movie.  But, if you like Swayze or bar fight movies, youll like it.  Has has some pretty funny parts, lots of fight scenes, couple boobies, etc., and Goon looks like the same thing.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

The best thing about Road House was the music.

RIP Jeff Healey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]It's never a good sign when filmakers can't even cobble together enough interesting bits to make a halfway intriguing trailer.  Let's just say I'm not going to camp outside the theater in anticipation of this one. Slap Shot is an interesting case.  I saw it again recently, and it's still as funny as ever.  But it was hardly intended as a flattering view of the sport.  I'm sometimes mildly surprised that fans embraced it as much as they did (and still do).  Maybe it's because for all of its over-the-top bits, Slap Shot is really spot on in many ways in capturing the essence of hockey culture.  For all the satire, the filmakers obviously knew their stuff.  There was some genuine appreciation and empathy beneath the jabs (no pun intended). No signs of any of that in this upcoming dog.  I wonder if any of the producers have ever seen a real hockey game? 
    Posted by hangedman[/QUOTE]
    I always thought it was interesting that it was written by a woman. It wasn't just a great hockey movie. It's was a great movie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]OK, first of all, Road House SUCKS!  Its a REALLY LAME movie.  But, if you like Swayze or bar fight movies, youll like it.  It has some pretty funny parts, lots of fight scenes, couple boobies, etc., and Goon looks like the same thing.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Hey viggy -

You're right, it does suck. but that's what makes it so good. Steven Segal movies are so bad that they're good. Can't take it seriously...the lameness is the best part.

Like this one -

http://youtu.be/YMu2xNBpyQc

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I know, I admitted like I like it.  Its a crappy movie, but if its a slow Sunday afternoon and its on, Ill watch it. 

And that scene from Out For Justice is so stupid.  I love when he shoves the guy in the phone booth again.  Hilarious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goon : I always thought it was interesting that it was written by a woman. It wasn't just a great hockey movie. It's was a great movie.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I think I remember reading that she came from a hockey background/family.

BTW, whoever did the novelization (I can't recall the name, but I read it years ago and recently picked up an old used copy.) also did his homework.  I remember it being a good read with a genuine hockey feel to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

SlapShot was more about the dark side of life in the minor leagues, where hope and glory days, depending on which direction players' careers are headed, are all that keeps guys going..... The fighting was a big part of it, but there were a lot of other themes at play too. I think as well it somewhat epitomized 70s pro hockey at al levels, which was a lot about physical dominance and intimidation....

Anyone who has played in dark barns in small towns with bloodthirsty drunken fans can relate to what that was like....

Great theme song ! Irene Ekhart ( sp ? ) - "Right Back Where We Started From"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

[QUOTE]SlapShot was more about the dark side of life in the minor leagues, where hope and glory days, depending on which direction players' careers are headed, are all that keeps guys going..... The fighting was a big part of it, but there were a lot of other themes at play too. I think as well it somewhat epitomized 70s pro hockey at al levels, which was a lot about physical dominance and intimidation....   Anyone who has played in dark barns in small towns with bloodthirsty drunken fans can relate to what that was like....   Great theme song ! Irene Ekhart ( sp ? ) - "Right Back Where We Started From"  
    Posted by Griswal65[/QUOTE]

Nice, insightful take on the film. 

The scene where Reggie, just back from a road trip, looks out over the bleak landscape of the dying town where his team plays always sticks in my head. 

And yeah. Great song.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

[QUOTE]I always thought it was interesting that it was written by a woman. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Actually, the reason the film has such a genuine feel is that it was written by the Hanson Sister.

Little known fact.  Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Goon is supposed to be a comedy.

I don't know, but the trailer looked like it was trying to be a dramatic movie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I can't believe you clowns havent mentioned Youngblood.  Disappointed!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think I'll wait for Hit Somebody.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My favorite hockey movie of all time is Net Worth.

Most accurate hockey movie by a mile.

It's about how the players finally organized into a union and how they were treated pre-union days and showed what crooks the owners were.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

BadHab, I love Networth. The Rocket was great too (my personal favourite hockey movie). God Bless the CBC. And while I didn't like the film much, Miracle likely had the most accurate depiction of the actual on-ice action. They recreated Eruzione's goal frame for frame, but from a different angle. On Q on CBC Radio One Today, the director of Goon (a Canuck) said his goal was to create the most realistic hockey movie ever, and give respect to the league's fighters and the crap they go through. We'll see. It frightens me that supposedly you never see the main character's feet, because Stiffler can't skate. It's a hockey movie - cast someone who can skate fer godssakes.

But my gut is telling me that Hit Somebody (Parts one and two) may be the best hockey movies ever. I've read some script excerpts and it sounds brilliant. Takes place mainly in the WHA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Maxine Nightingale did "Righ Back Where We Started From".  Great tune for the movie and I love the bus scenes when its playing.  We used to listen to songs from SlapShot all the time on our road trips.  LOTS of GREAT memories.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]BadHab, I love Networth. The Rocket was great too (my personal favourite hockey movie). God Bless the CBC. And while I didn't like the film much, Miracle likely had the most accurate depiction of the actual on-ice action. They recreated Eruzione's goal frame for frame, but from a different angle. On Q on CBC Radio One Today, the director of Goon (a Canuck) said his goal was to create the most realistic hockey movie ever, and give respect to the league's fighters and the crap they go through. We'll see. It frightens me that supposedly you never see the main character's feet, because Stiffler can't skate. It's a hockey movie - cast someone who can skate fer godssakes. But my gut is telling me that Hit Somebody (Parts one and two) may be the best hockey movies ever. I've read some script excerpts and it sounds brilliant. Takes place mainly in the WHA.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Mine too. It was done so well you swore you were in the 40's and 50's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Rocket was about a Shab.

Pass.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]The Rocket was about a Shab. Pass.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

And a few cameos by Bruins players not doing very well I believe.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goon : Yeah.  I think I remember reading that she came from a hockey background/family. BTW, whoever did the novelization (I can't recall the name, but I read it years ago and recently picked up an old used copy.) also did his homework.  I remember it being a good read with a genuine hockey feel to it.
    Posted by hangedman[/QUOTE]

Slapshot was written by Nancy Dowd from Framingham. Listening to her brother's ridiculous stories about life in the minors inspired the movie. Her brother Ned Dowd plays none other than Ogie Oglethorpe.

Sections
Shortcuts