Goon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

Re: Goon

In Response to Re: Goon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goon : Slapshot was written by Nancy Dowd from Framingham. Listening to her brother's ridiculous stories about life in the minors inspired the movie. Her brother Ned Dowd plays none other than Ogie Oglethorpe.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.  Yes, it's all coming back to me now.

So she's not a Hanson, as I lamely joked several posts earlier, but an Oglethorpe.  Interesting. 

In any case, she nailed it with that script.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

Ok.  I have thrown this out there anytime there has been a discussion of hockey films.  And I have never had anyone able to identify the film, which amazes me.  Maybe people just aren't interested, but that's not gonna stop me from throwing this trivia question out there one more time...

Who can name the hockey film that featured a cameo by a well known Bruin,  and several scenes from actual Bruins' games?  A few more hints.  The story revolved around a much heralded (fictional) rookie for the Maple Leafs who has a difficult first season primarily because he is distracted by a romance with a singer for a rock band.  It was based on a book written by the father of a rock icon.  The author usually wrote non-fiction about...  Well I don't want to give too much away, but the father was well known north of the border.

Can anyone identify the film and the Bruin who did the cameo?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Ok.  I have thrown this out there anytime there has been a discussion of hockey films.  And I have never had anyone able to identify the film, which amazes me.  Maybe people just aren't interested, but that's not gonna stop me from throwing this trivia question out there one more time... Who can name the hockey film that featured a cameo by a well known Bruin,  and several scenes from actual Bruins' games?  A few more hints.  The story revolved around a much heralded (fictional) rookie for the Maple Leafs who has a difficult first season primarily because he is distracted by a romance with a singer for a rock band.  It was based on a book written by the father of a rock icon.  The author usually wrote non-fiction about...  Well I don't want to give too much away, but the father was well known north of the border. Can anyone identify the film and the Bruin who did the cameo?
    Posted by hangedman[/QUOTE]
    It's a 1971 film called Face-off. In the movie, Sanderson played himself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goon : It's a 1971 film called Face-off. In the movie, Sanderson played himself.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

aka Winter Comes Early.  Nice work.

Now, does anybody know who wrote the book on which the film was based?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

never even heard of it. gonna check netflix, sanderson mustve been a real beauty in that. im sure they have the sucky JCVD Faceoff where the Penguins use something like 4 goalies. Barrasso, Wreggett, random actor, and VanDamage himself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

[QUOTE]never even heard of it. gonna check netflix, sanderson mustve been a real beauty in that. im sure they have the sucky JCVD Faceoff where the Penguins use something like 4 goalies. Barrasso, Wreggett, random actor, and VanDamage himself.

Sanderson had cinematic aspirations at one point.  I don't think Hollywood was knocking down his doors after this.  As an actor, Derek was a very good hockey player.

But it's a fun film to watch, as I recall.  I remember the book as actually being pretty good.  The author had reason to know something about both the world of hockey and the world of rock.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I recall that reel, Face Off, was pretty young at the time, but parts of it stuck... Good theme I recall, lotsa druggue scenes involving his g/f.

Maxine Nightingale, huh ! Ya, I got it wrong on the artist.... great rhyme, though.

Shuperbeatcha likes Ice Bud as his fav hockey movie.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Listening to the CBC yesterday and there's anothe hockey film that just premiered at TIFF to pretty good reviews. It's a Bollywood/Hollywood comedy cross about an Indo-Canadian hockey team called Breakaway. With Russell Peters and Rob Lowe as the coach.

Lowe actually wears a Hamilton Mustangs jersey in it at one point from what he said in the interview.

Weird to have a Canadian/Punjabi film about hockey,  but I like both Peters and Lowe so I'll have to check it out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

[QUOTE]never even heard of it. gonna check netflix, sanderson mustve been a real beauty in that. im sure they have the sucky JCVD Faceoff where the Penguins use something like 4 goalies. Barrasso, Wreggett, random actor, and VanDamage himself.

i was all wrong, thats Sudden Death. either way, its a stay away.