Grading First Year Bruins (p.2)-Regular Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Grading First Year Bruins (p.2)-Regular Season

Bored again....here is part two.

Parameters: non-rookie players. Must have played at least 14 games with the parent club (sorry, no "Sweethands" or Cory "the Ghost" Potter).

Here we go:

Jarome Iginla (78gp, 30g, 31a, 61p, +34, 18:12toi) A; Started the season slowly, very slowly…in typical Iggy fashion. However, credit to CJ for sticking with him on the first line and it paid dividends down the stretch.  Scored 30 goals, a bonanza for any CJ team, and (more importantly perhaps) ended the season with a team high 8 gwg’s. Fiery competitor that plays with an edge, not afraid to dish it out and take it. Yet, surprisingly durable throughout his career nonetheless. Laser beam for a shot and has a knack for finding the sweet spots on the ice, as evidence one only has to look at his 560 career goals. Never the fleetest of foot which makes it difficult to ascertain whether he has lost a step or not. Nevertheless, he hit all his performance bonuses which suggests he was everything PC hoped he would be. A good, solid Bruin-type player.

Loui Eriksson (61gp, 10g, 27a, 37p, +14, 16:31toi) B-; the centerpiece of the Seguin trade. Former 30 goal man known for his 200 foot game as a first liner with the Dallas Stars the past several years. Began the season on the second line with Bergeron and Marchand  but never seemed to quite mesh with his linemates and a couple of concussions, corresponding with the rise of Smith, effectively relegate Eriksson to the pedestrian third line….making him a very, very expensive third liner ($4.25mill). Still defensively sound, he appeared to slowly find his offense in the latter part of the season, benefitting in this regard from the rise and increasing confidence of his centerman…..the Swedish Yeti. More was obviously expected from him but perhaps the expectations may have been too high. Still, however, a very important piece for the team and one of the better third liners in the League (cap hit not withstanding).

Andrej Meszaros (14gp, 2g, 3a, 5p, +4, 18:54toi) C+; deadline pickup, was a promising up and comer early in his career. His first three seasons with the Sens were very impressive but seemed to lose his way after signing with TB (08-09) and was a habitual healthy scratch for Philly for much of this season. Known for his offensive acumen and smooth passing ability Mez has always been very inconsistent game in, game out. This did not change in his 14 game audition with the B’s either. I believe CJ gave him a fair shot to make his way onto the top 6 but he just could not seize it. Nevertheless, not a bad 7dman option and certainly more capable than those of past years (Hnidy, Corvo, Zanon, Motteau, etc). Though, his $4mill price take suggests he should be much better than he has shown

Chad Johnson (27gp, 23-17-4-3, 2.10gaa, 2so, .925sv%) A-; “Who the hell is this guy?” was my first thought when PC signed him to a paltry one year deal for $600,000. I could not believe Khudobin was not re-signed (Car only paid $850,000 for the guy) or Svedberg not utilized. The first half of the season was none too impressive as teams picked up on a general weakness with his game of being unable to move from post to post during wraparound attempts. But credit to Johnson, he obviously worked on his game and the results were quite impressive down the stretch. The numbers don’t lie and he was perhaps the best backup for any team by season’s end. A large raise awaits him in the summer. Goodbye Chad and thank you for your service.

***my god there were a lot of new faces this season***

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Grading First Year Bruins (p.2)-Regular Season

Spooner and Fraser both fit your criteria, and I'm guessing they're the ones that would cause a little dissention.  Also, Meszaros is only a $2M hit for Boston thanks to the Flyers retaining some salary.

My read on Spooner - C+.  Started strong with assists in three of his first four games, had a 3 assist game against Nashville and 8 of his 11 assists in his first 10 games.  Couldn't sustain that production, and his zero goals reflected a tendency to stick to the perimeter and look for passes.  His speed was promising, and his game was pretty mature for a guy one year removed from junior.  Could be a good second line centre some day, but not this day.

Fraser - D.  The flavour of the day was pretty vanilla in his 14 games.  2 goals on 13 shots, one that any slug could have potted on a great play by Soderberg.  Came over and up with a rep as a shooter who will play a physical game, but didn't show much of either.  Often out of place or behind the play which kept the whole line from establishing much pressure.

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Good points. Both got lost in the mix. I think SanDog is going to eat you alive for your Spooner assessment, though ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Good stuff, JMW.  It's easy to forget Chad Johnson's contributions.

I think Meszaros is a very good player.  Deadline deals have very little time to work themselves into the mix.  If the B's can find a way to hang onto him, I think a very good Bruin will emerge next season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Meszaros is a very good player.  Deadline deals have very little time to work themselves into the mix.  If the B's can find a way to hang onto him, I think a very good Bruin will emerge next season.

[/QUOTE]

I guess if Yeti can play with a bum eye, Mez can play with a beat shoulder

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Eriksson to the pedestrian third line"

^That^ sums up this grading session. Holy FacePalm!

PS. How many times did Marty "hissy fit" St. Connecticut get sent up n down to the minors before he finally got it ?

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do too. I saw him a lot when I was in Ottawa during his first few seasons and he really was a genuine up and comer. Plus he had size and could use it effectively. He just could not put it together on a consistent basis then and it seems he never has found that consistency unfortunately. He is obviously going to move on and I think could be of real value to some of the lesser teams. B's are just too stacked at D right now to keep him, even for a reduced price.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Eriksson to the pedestrian third line"

^That^ sums up this grading session. Holy FacePalm!

[/QUOTE]

I think your rose coloured glasses are a little too thick this morning? Do you not recall what the third line looked like the first half of the year and how many players passed through it? Hence, pedestrian :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PS. How many times did Marty "hissy fit" St. Connecticut get sent up n down to the minors before he finally got it ?

[/QUOTE]

Once.  LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Gotta love those DotRat math skills.

One...two...free decks

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin