Grading First Year Bruins-Regular Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Grading First Year Bruins-Regular Season

Well, I just officially wrapped up the previous semester and still in grading mode so I though I would procrastinate a little more on some research and give a grade to this season's first year Bruins (since there were more than usual this season).

Some parameters-the player has to be in their first full season in the NHL (so no Eriksson or Mez) played 20 or more games with the big club (wiping out the limited contributions of Fraser, Lindblad, Florek, Trotman, etc), and this is for the regular season only which makes sense considering the playoffs are still on-going.

Here we go, the 5 first year guys CJ successfully integrated into the line-up on the way to a Presidents Trophy:

Reilly Smith (82gp 20g, 31a, 51p, +28, 14.42toi) A+; what more can be said about him? Beat out others for the coveted roster spot, took regular shifts, produced more than anyone could have foreseen. Not afraid to muck it up in the corners, plays his heart out, smart with the puck, and defensively responsible. Even when he was slumping he was valuable to the team. A keeper.

Carl Soderberg (73gp, 16g, 32a, 48p, +4, 14.15toi) A-; old Yeti started slow out of the gate, very slow. He was even a healthy scratch early on and I found myself wishing he go back to the forest from whence he came. However, something seemed to click in his noggin and from the second half of the season on (when CJ moved him to center) he silently became the most productive third line center this team has had since a young guy named David Krecji back in 08-09. A bull on the puck, plays a brilliant possession game, can distribute with the best of them, and has a deceptively accurate shot when he decides to use it. Probably would have challenged for the team lead in points had he been more consistent at the start of the season and played with players that could actually put the puck in the net on occasion.

Torey Krug (70gp, 14g, 26a, 40p, +18, 17.30toi) B+;2013 playoff run phenom did not disappoint on the whole this season. Scored the most goals for a Bruin rookie dman since lil Greg Hawgood back in the day. Wonderful on the PP and has a terrific outlet pass which helped the B's clear their own zone quicker....one of the secrets to the B's dominant season. Deadly accurate shot and smart with the puck. However, he still gets overmatched in the corners on occasion and gets crushed periodically with big hits. To his credit, he shakes it off most times and is never out of a play. Still, his minutes are limited and protected as CJ uses him selectively. The real question for me: "is he a Don Sweeney or Greg Hawgood type player?"

Matt Bartkowski (64gp, 0g, 18a, 18p, +22, 19.32toi) B-; another 2013 post-season regular. He has come a long way since I used to shake my head watching him play in his limited callups over the years. Not the biggest but very competitive and solid with the physical play. Has more skill then he lets on and can surprise with the odd perfect pass in the offensive zone. Another big plus is that CJ seems comfortable giving him tough minutes on occasion. However, can be inconsistent game in game out. Can also be caught out of position resulting in him having to take penalties. No goals in 64 games played and almost 20mins a game....you have to really try to accomplish this. Even Glen Feathernuts and Bruce Shoebottom scored at some point! That said, he is a good, cheap third pairing alternative.

Kevan Miller (47gp, 1g, 5a, 6p, +20, 17.27toi) B; the biggest surprise for me. Made the team briefly out of camp but promptly sent down. To me he was none too impressive in the pre-season anyway. Took McQuaid's place on the back end mid-season and never looked back. Tough hombre and legit middle-weight but also very, very defensively responsible. Almost always makes the smart, safe play and has the physicality to intimidate. His minutes steadily went up until he was playing almost 20mins a night by the end of the season. Not gifted offensively but can surprise on occasion (outscored Bart after all...lol). I see him as McQuaid's replacement. He is Adam-lite but more durable.

Well, that was fun...and therapeutic.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Grading First Year Bruins-Regular Season

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about loui and Ig.I guess you meant the younger ones

[/QUOTE]

"Some parameters-the player has to be in their first full season in the NHL..."

Why don't you learn how to read, you freakin' dolt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Marco: the grading was meant for B's playing their first full seasons. Other first year guys would be in a different thread. Maybe later....

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good stuff JM. Love the effort you put into this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry mr Walters as I said sometimes I skip though some with longer posts.  What's your take on Loui and Ig anyhow?

[/QUOTE]

Oh no.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In all honesty, just procrastinating to the extreme. This is going to come back and bite me in the a** later this week....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

OSorry mr Walters as I said sometimes I skip though some with longer posts.  What's your take on Loui and Ig anyhow?

Ok just read ur other post ... ok later but Not msybe pls

[/QUOTE]

If I have time I will do another post later today.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, Kel.  Comprehensive and unbiased (to the best of a B's fans ability).  It's always useful and helpful to see an intelligent breakdown from a quality source.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"However, something seemed to click in his noggin and from the second half of the season on (when CJ moved him to center). Probably would have challenged for the team lead in points had he been more consistent at the start of the season and played with players that could actually put the puck in the net on occasion."

When Soderberg becomes a 2nd line center, after the Bruins can't afford him, there will be no stopping him. Unless the cap goes to $82M in short order, enjoy Carl while you can in Boston.

""is he a Don Sweeney or Greg Hawgood type player?"

If you can't answer that question now then I wish you the best in future evaluations. I've never seen Krug get burned on a consistent basis like Don Sweeney did. Other than height I don't see the comparables.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

""is he a Don Sweeney or Greg Hawgood type player?"

If you can't answer that question now then I wish you the best in future evaluations. I've never seen Krug get burned on a consistent basis like Don Sweeney did. Other than height I don't see the comparables.

[/QUOTE]

The point was whether he would become more defensively reliable-top pairing lil guy (Sweeney) or a protected minute-offensively oriented lil guy (Hawgood). Right now he is hovering in between. CJ is still giving him protected mins, even in the playoffs. But his D work and positioning is improving too....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

OSorry mr Walters as I said sometimes I skip though some with longer posts.  What's your take on Loui and Ig anyhow?

Ok just read ur other post ... ok later but Not msybe pls

[/QUOTE]

There are people here who really know what they are talking about.

There are people here who notice things, certain player habits and etc. that really contribute to my enjoyment of the game.

There are people here who know a good bit of hockey history.

There is NAS who can be a dick, but he knows what he's talking about most of time (with a major exception being some kind of bizarre witch hunt involving Bishop).

One of your problems is that this place is a soapbox for you where you try to jam your opinion down people's throats and don't LISTEN (Listen = reading).

Think about this, if you are like most people you have TWO ears and ONE mouth and maybe that's an attribute you should take advantage of.

Sorry, probably too long for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

TL;DR.

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, I just officially wrapped up the previous semester and still in grading mode so I though I would procrastinate a little more on some research and give a grade to this season's first year Bruins (since there were more than usual this season).

Some parameters-the player has to be in their first full season in the NHL (so no Eriksson or Mez) played 20 or more games with the big club (wiping out the limited contributions of Fraser, Lindblad, Florek, Trotman, etc), and this is for the regular season only which makes sense considering the playoffs are still on-going.

Here we go, the 5 first year guys CJ successfully integrated into the line-up on the way to a Presidents Trophy:

Reilly Smith (82gp 20g, 31a, 51p, +28, 14.42toi) A+; what more can be said about him? Beat out others for the coveted roster spot, took regular shifts, produced more than anyone could have foreseen. Not afraid to muck it up in the corners, plays his heart out, smart with the puck, and defensively responsible. Even when he was slumping he was valuable to the team. A keeper.

Carl Soderberg (73gp, 16g, 32a, 48p, +4, 14.15toi) A-; old Yeti started slow out of the gate, very slow. He was even a healthy scratch early on and I found myself wishing he go back to the forest from whence he came. However, something seemed to click in his noggin and from the second half of the season on (when CJ moved him to center) he silently became the most productive third line center this team has had since a young guy named David Krecji back in 08-09. A bull on the puck, plays a brilliant possession game, can distribute with the best of them, and has a deceptively accurate shot when he decides to use it. Probably would have challenged for the team lead in points had he been more consistent at the start of the season and played with players that could actually put the puck in the net on occasion.

Torey Krug (70gp, 14g, 26a, 40p, +18, 17.30toi) B+;2013 playoff run phenom did not disappoint on the whole this season. Scored the most goals for a Bruin rookie dman since lil Greg Hawgood back in the day. Wonderful on the PP and has a terrific outlet pass which helped the B's clear their own zone quicker....one of the secrets to the B's dominant season. Deadly accurate shot and smart with the puck. However, he still gets overmatched in the corners on occasion and gets crushed periodically with big hits. To his credit, he shakes it off most times and is never out of a play. Still, his minutes are limited and protected as CJ uses him selectively. The real question for me: "is he a Don Sweeney or Greg Hawgood type player?"

Matt Bartkowski (64gp, 0g, 18a, 18p, +22, 19.32toi) B-; another 2013 post-season regular. He has come a long way since I used to shake my head watching him play in his limited callups over the years. Not the biggest but very competitive and solid with the physical play. Has more skill then he lets on and can surprise with the odd perfect pass in the offensive zone. Another big plus is that CJ seems comfortable giving him tough minutes on occasion. However, can be inconsistent game in game out. Can also be caught out of position resulting in him having to take penalties. No goals in 64 games played and almost 20mins a game....you have to really try to accomplish this. Even Glen Feathernuts and Bruce Shoebottom scored at some point! That said, he is a good, cheap third pairing alternative.

Kevan Miller (47gp, 1g, 5a, 6p, +20, 17.27toi) B; the biggest surprise for me. Made the team briefly out of camp but promptly sent down. To me he was none too impressive in the pre-season anyway. Took McQuaid's place on the back end mid-season and never looked back. Tough hombre and legit middle-weight but also very, very defensively responsible. Almost always makes the smart, safe play and has the physicality to intimidate. His minutes steadily went up until he was playing almost 20mins a night by the end of the season. Not gifted offensively but can surprise on occasion (outscored Bart after all...lol). I see him as McQuaid's replacement. He is Adam-lite but more durable.

Well, that was fun...and therapeutic.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE] ""is he a Don Sweeney or Greg Hawgood type player?" 

If you can't answer that question now then I wish you the best in future evaluations. I've never seen Krug get burned on a consistent basis like Don Sweeney did. Other than height I don't see the comparables.  [/QUOTE]

The point was whether he would become more defensively reliable-top pairing lil guy (Sweeney) or a protected minute-offensively oriented lil guy (Hawgood). Right now he is hovering in between. CJ is still giving him protected mins, even in the playoffs. But his D work and positioning is improving too....[/QUOTE]

Sweeney was never a top minute, top pairing Dman. Even though he might have played with Bourque for periods of time. He never filled that role even though Harry and Milbury tried to make it so.

I don't see the protection of minutes that you are seeing. Krug will never be a top minutes guy and wasn't expected to be. The differences are glaring between the three, all have to do is pull up video of Sweeney and Hawgood against the Habs, Oilers and Penguins during the playoffs. Then pull up video of Krug in last year and this years playoffs.

Sweeney and Hawgood were terrible when it counted, Krug is the complete opposite.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's a funny year this year for the rooks/2nd year guys.  (And you could have included Hamilton on the list if Smith and Soderberg fit the criteria.)  Funny because there are so many who became regulars, so it looks like serious grade inflation.  You almost have to include Spooner, Fraser, Warsofsky, Trotman, Florek, and even Sweethands just to round it out.

Baseline is this: President's Trophy winning team, Cup contender.  Those six players with less than a full season of NHL experience played a combined 409 games.  They were a combined +114 with Smith at +28 and Soderberg the only guy in single digits at +4.  For all we notice Bartkowski speed wobbling when he tries to be a "PMD" and Krug getting outmuscled, Hamilton playing too soft or Smith going into a prolonged slump...they were regulars on the best team in the NHL.  They contributed to that success; no passengers there.  Hard to give any of them less than a B, which looks ridiculous, but it's accurate.

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sweeney was never a top minute, top pairing Dman. Even though he might have played with Bourque for periods of time. He never filled that role even though Harry and Milbury tried to make it so.

I don't see the protection of minutes that you are seeing. Krug will never be a top minutes guy and wasn't expected to be. The differences are glaring between the three, all have to do is pull up video of Sweeney and Hawgood against the Habs, Oilers and Penguins during the playoffs. Then pull up video of Krug in last year and this years playoffs.

Sweeney and Hawgood were terrible when it counted, Krug is the complete opposite.

[/QUOTE]

Sweeney averaged 20 plus mins....good for top 4....and played against the other teams top lines more often then not.

Although I am too lazy to source it, Krug plays 17ish mins a night (2-3 includes pp time) and starts the majority of his shifts in the offensive zone. Plus most of his 5 on 5 shifts are on the third pairing. Thus, protected minutes.

As mentioned in the opening post, this is a view of the 2013-14 reg. season. Thus what Krug did in the 2013 playoffs and the present run have no bearing on the topic.

I do agree, though, that Sinden did try to make them both out to be more than they actually came to be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a funny year this year for the rooks/2nd year guys.  (And you could have included Hamilton on the list if Smith and Soderberg fit the criteria.)  Funny because there are so many who became regulars, so it looks like serious grade inflation.  You almost have to include Spooner, Fraser, Warsofsky, Trotman, Florek, and even Sweethands just to round it out.

Baseline is this: President's Trophy winning team, Cup contender.  Those six players with less than a full season of NHL experience played a combined 409 games.  They were a combined +114 with Smith at +28 and Soderberg the only guy in single digits at +4.  For all we notice Bartkowski speed wobbling when he tries to be a "PMD" and Krug getting outmuscled, Hamilton playing too soft or Smith going into a prolonged slump...they were regulars on the best team in the NHL.  They contributed to that success; no passengers there.  Hard to give any of them less than a B, which looks ridiculous, but it's accurate.

[/QUOTE]

I agree completely....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]

Soderberg has the tools to be a first line center however what he has going against him is that he's almost 30. If the bruins refuse to utilize the buyouts .. they're putting themselves at a disadvantage from the start. Buyouts are there to beb used and Book in Don't mean for no name plsyers. 

[/QUOTE]
    Who would the Bruins buyout? Every player has a tradable contract. 

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, the buyout thing is ridiculous.  Even more than the fact that every Bruin would be tradable at their current contract value with the possible exception of Kelly and maybe McQuaid because of his injury issues, it would be virtually impossible to replace anyone on the roster with an equivalent player at a better price.  The only way to do it would be to bring in EL guys, and while SanDog wants Spooner, Griffith, Khokhlachev, Trotman Fraser and Svedberg in Boston next year, there's just no way the roster is better with them than the guys they'd replace - unless they develop fast and furiously.

The only player you could target as a buyout candidate is Eriksson because $4M for a third line winger is too much.  And there, my friends, is the only reason marco mentions it.

Are you not entertained?!?!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Svedberg will be the Bruins back up goalie in October.

If Morrow is not part of a deal to bring in a right-handed shot this summer, he will be the Bruins 7th Dman.

Bartkowski will be gone before the draft or at the draft. Nothing to do with his play in this years playoffs.

Griffith is behind KoKo and Spooner on the depth chart. Like Cunningham just tough luck.

Trotman just couldn't couldn't stay as healthy as he needed to be in Providence. Maybe PC re-signs him and Warsofsky...don't know.

Spooner will get a legit shot at making the Bruins roster in the fall. Fraser and Florek get re-signed for one more year.  Camara needs more AHL seasoning, signed for two more years.

I don't know if KoKo bolts back to the KHL.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts