Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/8/2/2285837/bruins-2010-11-player-report-cards-tuukka-rask?ref=yahoo

What grade would you give him ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season

I would have gone with a C-..But I would grade his what 0-8 start differently then his second half..

Rask's problem last season is that this team started games slow (bad first periods etc) and he started like the team, and then played better but this is a different team playing from behind then in the lead..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I have no problem with Tuukka. A "C" is fair for the amount of games he played.

He was very unlucky last year. The first game mirrored the whole season for him.

He was the only one playing that first game, the others were still in another time zone. He kept them in it for the first period and then the Keystone Kop goals started.

Tuukka will have his day. More than one!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I went with a "B" (which is leading at 44% out of 177 votes) because I graded Rask as a backup not a starter. Thomas lost his starter job last season because he was injured not because Tuukka beat him out so that means TT was still the starter. As a backup Rask did just fine, as a starter I give him a C so that brings the curve back to a "B".

"he was viewed as the next great Boston goaltender.  His failure to meet those expectations in 2010-11 necessitate a mediocre grade for him."

If this is the writers criteria to grading Rask then I disagree especially when the same writer gave Ryder an "A"....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season:
    [QUOTE]I went with a "B" (which is leading at 44% out of 177 votes) because I graded Rask as a backup not a starter . Thomas lost his starter job last season because he was injured not because Tuukka beat him out so that means TT was still the starter. As a backup Rask did just fine, as a starter I give him a C so that brings the curve back to a "B". "he was viewed as the next great Boston goaltender.  His failure to meet those expectations in 2010-11 necessitate a mediocre grade for him." If this is the writers criteria to grading Rask then I disagree especially when the same writer gave Ryder an "A"....
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE] Rask was supposed to be the starter last year considering he did outplay TT the year before .No one knew about TT's injury at the time but I don't think it was  a factor going into last year.At the start of the regular season the starting job was his to lose .Rask losing the starter's role last year was a combination of his poor play and TT's superb play .I think he deserves a ''C''    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I went with a "B" (which is leading at 44% out of 177 votes) because I graded Rask as a backup not a starter . Thomas lost his starter job last season because he was injured not because Tuukka beat him out so that means TT was still the starter. As a backup Rask did just fine, as a starter I give him a C so that brings the curve back to a "B". "he was viewed as the next great Boston goaltender.  His failure to meet those expectations in 2010-11 necessitate a mediocre grade for him." If this is the writers criteria to grading Rask then I disagree especially when the same writer gave Ryder an "A"....
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

San, I'll have to disagree. When Tuukka took over the starting job last year, it wasn't just because TT was playing poorly, it was because Tuukka continued to play well... well enough to carry them into the playoffs and past Buffalo. He was not just thrown in there as a placeholder for an injured player. Regardless of why TT lost the job at that point, TR was the starter.  Any goalie will tell you that a starters job is never guaranteed, and its always up for review based on how you and your partner are playing today.

TT was not the starter when the season opened, Tuukka was, which is why he played the first game.  TT then started off super-hot, Tuukka did not, and the roles were reversed.  This happens to goalies at all points in their careers.

So, I have to agree with a C grade because Tuukka has to be graded as a starter at the beginning of 2010-11, not a backup in my opinion.  However, I think Id give Tuukka a huge benefit of the doubt because since TT started so incredibly hot, Tuuk never had the opportunity to work out his game.  He had some poor luck, stopped playing regularly and had no chance to find his stride.  I remember Fleurey starting brutally last year and after awhile, having the chance to find his game and ended up on the All Star team.  Tuuk never got that opportunity, and thats tough on any goalie, let alone a kid who was traumatized by the collapse against the Flyers.

I still think Tuuk will be excellent, but I think someone needs to commit to him before long, which continues to make me think he will walk at the end of the upcoming season.  If he plays less than 30 games, his career is going nowhere opening and closing the bench door in Boston, and he'll need to look elsewhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I understand why some say "C" however Bruins Goals For during Tuukka's 14 losses 2L, 0L, 1L, 1L, 2L, 2L, 1L, 2L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 3L, 2L and 2L. That's beyond anemic so along with a .918 save % Rask stays at a "B" from me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I give him a D, because even as a backup he was less than average.

A = Excellent.  The best.  Nobody better = Tim Thomas
    B = Above average.  Better than your average person.
    C = Average.  This is the measuring stick.
    D = Below average.  Needs improvement to be on par.
    F = Fail.  It doesnt get any worse.

Tuukka went 11-14-2 and that is not even average.  You cant try and justify it by twisting it around and blaming the offense or defense, etc.  Tuukka is the goalie and based on Tuukkas numbers he was a D last year.  Not even average.  Going back to the previous years playoff collapse, he is 11-18-2.  NOT GOOD!  Thats a huge D- and teetering on failing.  Tuukka did NOT Thomas' job away in 2010, Thomas was injured.  Thomas was given a chance in game 2 this year BECAUSE it was his job to begin with.  He didnt take anything from Tuukka.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"You cant try and justify it by twisting it around and blaming the offense or defense, etc."

It's not twisting when you show that the Bruins offense couldn't possess the puck, give any goal support nor keep it out of the opposing teams hands. Rask's Save % was .918 that does not equal "F" nor a "D".

PS. And putting words in CAPS does not send your point home either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I would give him a "C". He was snake bitten especially at the start of the season, but he also wasn't the story for too many games (ie. him being the big reason the Bruins won a game).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I understand why some say "C" however Bruins Goals For during Tuukka's 14 losses 2L, 0L, 1L, 1L, 2L, 2L, 1L, 2L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 3L, 2L and 2L. That's beyond anemic so along with a .918 save % Rask stays at a "B" from me.

Reasonable point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I understand why some say "C" however Bruins Goals For during Tuukka's 14 losses 2L, 0L, 1L, 1L, 2L, 2L, 1L, 2L, 1L, 1L, 1L, 3L, 2L and 2L. That's beyond anemic so along with a .918 save % Rask stays at a "B" from me.

I'm with you Dog. I think what happened to Rask is an extreme circumstance! The kid never had much of chance winning his starts when teh team failed to give him anything in teh way of goal support! The extreme circumstance was TT having a career yr! There obviously wasn't another goalie who wouldn't have been the backup the way TT was playing. He wasn't going to be the starter if he was CJ would've had TT in there for game 1.

The way it was for Rask & the B's was difficult in the since that Rask's development as a starter had to take a backseat. I think CJ would've loved to be able to start the kid more; but it just wasn't possible. Especially when they trailed the Habs in points in the division! throughout the season.

I'm giving Tuuka a B-; because under the circumstances he handled e-thing well. He always had a big smile on his face when TT got a win & if my hunch is corrrect ; I think Tuuka learned a lot from watching TT conduct himself in some very tough situations. I also think that Rask helped Timmy by being a great supporter for him. He was a great teammate & he understood what was happening. He didn't whine to the media about not playing enough; he didn't put himself above the team like a lot players do!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFW826. Show DFW826's posts

Tuukka suffered from some serious confidence issues last year.  I think actually that's the biggest thing about him.  When he gets rattled, the other team really capitalizes fast and easily against him; we saw this kind of thing at the end of 2010 against the Flyers and a lot during the 2011 season (I'm thinking especially against Detroit in Feb.)  I love Tuukka and I think he's probably one of the most fundamentally sound goaltenders in the NHL, but when his confidence is down he just gets shelled. 

Once the starting job is his, you will see a season out of him like Carey Price had this past year.  They are very, very similar players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]"You cant try and justify it by twisting it around and blaming the offense or defense, etc." It's not twisting when you show that the Bruins offense couldn't possess the puck, give any goal support nor keep it out of the opposing teams hands. Rask's Save % was .918 that does not equal "F" nor a "D". PS. And putting words in CAPS does not send your point home either.

Sandog,
    I agree with the poor goal support, but as I stated I think if you watched enough games, there was a common theme, the bruins starting poorly.. Thomas got goal support, but a lot of it came late.. The bruins were the best 3rd period team in the league.. Thomas held the opponent at bay till the bruins scored, rask didnt..

Thomas faced more shots per game, its not like the team was any better in front of him..

And for the record, Rask fans, his numbers were very similar to thomas's the year before when he was being ripped..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

what season he only played games once in a while just to stay sharp so all in all tuka will be a footnote or trivia question as the back up goaler to the greatest goalie ever who put together the greatest season in nhl history

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah I couldn't name another goalie I would want in front of Rask teaching him. Thomas is a great example of perseverance non better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

[QUOTE]Yah I couldn't name another goalie I would want in front of Rask teaching him. Thomas is a great example of perseverance non better.

I agree but at the same time part of me feels as though Thomas's style and play are almost unteachable.

But I'd love for his attitude to be absorbed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]what season he only played games once in a while just to stay sharp so all in all tuka will be a footnote or trivia question as the back up goaler to the greatest goalie ever who put together the greatest season in nhl history
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]

You really need to get off the soap box & see things in a wider perspective! Take a look to both sides of the tunnel; because you're missing a whole other world when you don't!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Tuukka suffered from some serious confidence issues last year.  I think actually that's the biggest thing about him.  When he gets rattled, the other team really capitalizes fast and easily against him; we saw this kind of thing at the end of 2010 against the Flyers and a lot during the 2011 season (I'm thinking especially against Detroit in Feb.)  I love Tuukka and I think he's probably one of the most fundamentally sound goaltenders in the NHL, but when his confidence is down he just gets shelled.  Once the starting job is his, you will see a season out of him like Carey Price had this past year.  They are very, very similar players.
    Posted by DFW826[/QUOTE]
    I don't think it was confidence. He's too poised for that. Every goalie gets rattled once in awhile; a goalie having confidence issues won't last in the league very long. I think Rask is no different than any other goalie that's as technically sound as he is. He needs to work in game situations in order to keep that style near the top of his game. With technique; comes timing; timing comes from playing. He wasn't able to play because TT was just too much in the groove. Especially early on! 

Remember game 3 against Montreal? TT allowed those 2 terrible goals to make the score 3-2. In the 3rd period the Habs were all over the B's. I bet Rask learned something from Thomas while watching. He saw how he was able to shake those 2 mistakes off & end up a star at the end of the game. He also watched how he handled the media in the cup final when he was being trashed talked by the Nuk players & the reporters who kept trying to stir the pot! I think Rask learned a lot & I bet he & TT walk away with the Jennings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]"You cant try and justify it by twisting it around and blaming the offense or defense, etc." It's not twisting when you show that the Bruins offense couldn't possess the puck, give any goal support nor keep it out of the opposing teams hands. Rask's Save % was .918 that does not equal "F" nor a "D". PS. And putting words in CAPS does not send your point home either.

I'm very guilty of that too Dog. I'll try to stop. Innocent

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season : I'm very guilty of that too Dog. I'll try to stop.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Well no actually if your putting stats up to back up your side of the debate then put them in CAPS to punctuate. If someone is just ripping a player who has a .918 save % and the goalies offense scored more than 2 goals for him once then no.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Yah I couldn't name another goalie I would want in front of Rask teaching him. Thomas is a great example of perseverance non better.

Here's Rask doing his Thomas impersonation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_lBjHhGpg&feature=relmfu

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

He was the backup goalie this past season. I'd almost give him an Incomplete for insufficient games played, but he did his job giving the starter enough rest so he could do what he did in the playoffs. Therefore, he gets a B from me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I've never seen the starting goaltender lose his job 1 game into the season which is essentially what happened here. TT came in the second game and posted a shutout and never looked back. Even though I said he lost it, I'd have to really say TT just took it and ran with it. By no means do I think Tuuka is one year wonder, I dont think he is a back up, in fact i think he'll be top 5 in the league when all is said and done.
    I expect big things from him this year, a season on the bench will do him good, don't be suprised when he gets a shot if he takes it and runs with it much like TT did last year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I've never seen the starting goaltender lose his job 1 game into the season which is essentially what happened here. TT came in the second game and posted a shutout and never looked back. Even though I said he lost it, I'd have to really say TT just took it and ran with it. By no means do I think Tuuka is one year wonder, I dont think he is a back up, in fact i think he'll be top 5 in the league when all is said and done. I expect big things from him this year, a season on the bench will do him good, don't be suprised when he gets a shot if he takes it and runs with it much like TT did last year.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    There isn't a team in the league that matches the B's combo! And providing e-thing goes well with Anton in Prov; we'll have a nice 1,2 punch after TT as well.

Sections
Shortcuts