Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season

In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season:

[QUOTE]Once the starting job is his, you will see a season out of him like Carey Price had this past year.  They are very, very similar players.  Posted by DFW826[/QUOTE]

Well, it is just my opinion, but I think you SORELY overrate Tuukka.  I think the only thing similar between him and Price is they play goal.  Price is a FAR better goalie than I think Rask will EVER be.  Again, just my opinion.

[QUOTE]By no means do I think Tuuka is one year wonder. Posted by kelvana33
    [/QUOTE]

Neither do I.  We'll have to wait and see him play a whole year to evaluate.  4 seasons with a total of 79 regular season games.  Not too much to judge there.

Sandog:  Sorry you dont like my CAPS, buts its called emphasizing.  I used them to STRESS a word or words and put emphasis on them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season :  Sandog:  Sorry you dont like my CAPS, buts its called emphasizing.  I used them to STRESS a word or words and put emphasis on them.Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

I don't need them to read your posts and no apologies necessary that's your style.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season : Well, it is just my opinion, but I think you SORELY overrate Tuukka.  I think the only thing similar between him and Price is they play goal.  Price is a FAR better goalie than I think Rask will EVER be.  Again, just my opinion. Neither do I.  We'll have to wait and see him play a whole year to evaluate.  4 seasons with a total of 79 regular season games.  Not too much to judge there. Sandog:  Sorry you dont like my CAPS, buts its called emphasizing.  I used them to STRESS a word or words and put emphasis on them.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    If he's talking about right now at this juncture of both careers? Yes he's way off. However; you're way off in saying Price is far better & always will be. That's too long of a stretch. Price is almost at his peek. Rask is about a season & a half behind him as far as experience goes. Rask still has more to learn & he will. It'll be interesting to see where they are 2-3 seasons from now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I didnt say that.  You twisted what I wrote.  I said I think, in my opinion, Price is a better goalie than Rask ever will be.  I didnt say Rask will never be better than him.  If Price was injured Rask would most certainly be better and youre right, you never know what will happen down the road.  Thats why I said in my opinion, "Price is a far better goalie than Rask ever will be."  I hope thats NOT true, but I just dont get this whole obsession with Rask some people have.  Im more realistic about it and there are FAR MORE goalies that come and go than come and stay.  The Bruins have had a HOST of them over the years, especially recently so maybe Im being jaded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

2 years ago Price was riding the bench and struggling in spot duty behind a super hot goaltender. Sound familiar? Both Price and Tuuka are first round picks, both are pure  butterfly style and both have had a very good year followed by a year as back up. i think it's a legit comparison, interested to see how this season plays out for Tuuka.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Yup, Price had a poor season in 2009-2010, but he had basically been the Habs #1 goalie since coming up 4 seasons ago.  He has posted 2 impressive seasons, 1 so-so season and a poor season.  I think what we saw of him this year is the norm, not the exception.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, Price had a poor season in 2009-2010, but he had basically been the Habs #1 goalie since coming up 4 seasons ago.  He has posted 2 impressive seasons, 1 so-so season and a poor season.  I think what we saw of him this year is the norm, not the exception.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Bigvig, Rask had the same save percentage as Fleury and Quick and was better than Roloson, Miller, Backstrom and Lehtonen(to name just a handful). Rask may have been a "D" when compared to TT but stacked up reasonably well against the rest of the goalies in the league. Personally, I'm thrilled to have Rask in Boston and I hope he's still here 10 years from now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]^^^wow that is stupid^^^
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Could you be more specific Kel? I'm easily confused.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Tuuka needs to keep away from the bad goal syndrome. If he does his GAA will drop to the low 2's and give the B's a chance to win. If he goes 55%-60% in his starts that's an acceptable total, since Timmay (if he gets enough scoring support) will be at or around 65%. The goal this year is to get some home ice in the playoffs, not necessarily be tops in the conference. Save the huge effort for the playoffs, like this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Comparing stats from a guy with a WHOPPING 79 games career games.  Comparing stats of a guy who went 11-16 as a backup on the Stanley Cup Champions (who were3rd in scoring in the east & 8th in the league, 1st in goals against in the east & 3rd in the league), to guys who are starters and have hundreds of games under their belts, Olympic medals, Stanley Cups, etc., is what I think he meant by "stupid".  At least thats what Im guessing.

If you simply look at Rasks numbers from this year, he isnt even average.  A LOT more is expected of him.  Therefore, he gets a D.  Hell, Im not convinced he is a future amazing #1 star goalie and I expect a lot more from him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Comparing stats from a guy with a WHOPPING 79 games career games.  Comparing stats of a guy who went 11-16 as a backup on the Stanley Cup Champions (who were3rd in scoring in the east & 8th in the league, 1st in goals against in the east & 3rd in the league), to guys who are starters and have hundreds of games under their belts, Olympic medals, Stanley Cups, etc., is what I think he meant by "stupid".  At least thats what Im guessing. If you simply look at Rasks numbers from this year, he isnt even average.  A LOT more is expected of him.  Therefore, he gets a D.  Hell, Im not convinced he is a future amazing #1 star goalie and I expect a lot more from him.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    To take it a step further, I wasn't even comparing stats from 79 games played by Rask. I'm saying that in the 29 games in which Rask appeared, he had a save percentage as high or better than a number of good starters throughout the league. For you to say a lot more was expected of him so he deserves a D is a valid argument I suppose but I certainly don't agree with your assessment. As I stated, his small sample numbers weren't that bad. I also notice that when posting Rask's numbers, you list him as 11w-16L. You know TT's numbers don't look quite as daunting if you list him as being 35w-20L also. Whatever, Boston has the leagues best goaltending by a large margin so let's just agree on that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Actually my wow this is stupid post was for a post (term used loosely) by Tuuka fail that was right above it and has since been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season : To take it a step further, I wasn't even comparing stats from 79 games played by Rask. I'm saying that in the 29 games in which Rask appeared, he had a save percentage as high or better than a number of good starters throughout the league. For you to say a lot more was expected of him so he deserves a D is a valid argument I suppose but I certainly don't agree with your assessment. As I stated, his small sample numbers weren't that bad. I also notice that when posting Rask's numbers, you list him as 11w-16L. You know TT's numbers don't look quite as daunting if you list him as being 35w-20L also. Whatever, Boston has the leagues best goaltending by a large margin so let's just agree on that.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Youre still comparing a bench warmer to league starters who face the best of the best, night in and night out and played a hell of a lot more games.  He has/had the potential to be the best backup in the league, but he wasnt even that this past year.  Cory Schneider went 16-6.  And you need to look DEEP before you start finding guys who played about the same amount of games and had worse records and werent on the league worst teams.  Rask is in with a piss-poor group of guys as far as wins/losses goes.  And again, on the Stanley Cup Champions who were one of the leagues best teams all year.  Its not like they were a dark horse.

And to say Thomas' 35 & 20 record wasnt impressive:  Thats a .636 win percentage.  Thats VERY impressive.  Higher than Luongo's, Price's, Miller's, Ward's....hell, higher than everyones.  Thats right, it was the highest win percentage in the leauge (among guys who actually played more than a handful of games).

I think people give Rask far too much credit this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Tuukka will be the starter by Christmas.  Anyone agree?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season :   Youre still comparing a bench warmer to league starters who face the best of the best, night in and night out and played a hell of a lot more games.  He has/had the potential to be the best backup in the league, but he wasnt even that this past year.   Cory Schneider went 16-6.  And you need to look DEEP before you start finding guys who played about the same amount of games and had worse records and werent on the league worst teams.  Rask is in with a piss-poor group of guys as far as wins/losses goes.  And again, on the Stanley Cup Champions who were one of the leagues best teams all year.  Its not like they were a dark horse. And to say Thomas' 35 & 20 record wasnt impressive:  Thats a .636 win percentage.  Thats VERY impressive.  Higher than Luongo's, Price's, Miller's, Ward's....hell, higher than everyones.  Thats right, it was the highest win percentage in the leauge (among guys who actually played more than a handful of games). I think people give Rask far too much credit this year.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    I don't recall saying that. I simply said it doesn't sound as good when you say 35-20 instead of the 35-11-9 record that TT actually recorded. Look, I get it. You like TT and you dislike Rask. Personally, I like both Bruins goalies and have no school-girl crush on either one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Tuukka will be the starter by Christmas.  Anyone agree?
    Posted by BorisTheGorilla[/QUOTE]
    I don't think there'll be a clear-cut starter during the 2nd half of next season. An old-school platoon is what I predict.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

If you really review the performance numbers provided by SanDog, and you couple that with the defensive mistakes which were all too frequent; than add in the comment that Timmy's unorthodox style is what saved the Bruins; then you get a more accurate picture of how good Tuuka really is, and how mistake prone the Bruins defense is. Before reading too far, I gave Tuuka a "B" and now I agree with SANDOG in almost every comment. I am also concerned at the number of rebounds that Timmy leaves; at the poor coverage, by Boychuck, that led to "7 goals in a row" during the playoffs; also, if taken with a grain of salt, Luongo's claim that he would have stopped Burrows ??? Also consider Claude's stubborn commitment to veteran players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season :   Youre still comparing a bench warmer to league starters who face the best of the best, night in and night out and played a hell of a lot more games.  He has/had the potential to be the best backup in the league, but he wasnt even that this past year.   Cory Schneider went 16-6.  And you need to look DEEP before you start finding guys who played about the same amount of games and had worse records and werent on the league worst teams.  Rask is in with a piss-poor group of guys as far as wins/losses goes.  And again, on the Stanley Cup Champions who were one of the leagues best teams all year.  Its not like they were a dark horse. And to say Thomas' 35 & 20 record wasnt impressive:  Thats a .636 win percentage.  Thats VERY imHigher than Luongo's,pressive.   Price's, Miller's, Ward's....hell, higher than everyones.  Thats right, it was the highest win percentage in the leauge (among guys who actually played more than a handful of games). I think people give Rask far too much credit this year.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Luongo's record of 38-22 isn't far off the mark.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

No, it isnt, its a .633 actually.  But its still worse.  Thomas had the best win percentage among goalies who played a "whole" season.  Yeah, CS in Vancouver has a better one, but he played far fewer games.  You cant compare those guys, just like you cant compare Rask to Miller, Luongo, etc.  Its two different things.  And its not that Im a Thomas "fanboy" and Rask "hater":  Ive been a fan of Thomas since he played next door at UVM.  Ive followed his career for a LONG time now.  Thomas has been very good at EVERY level he has played at, in every league.  I still dont see what everyone else sees in Tuukka (he has so little experience in every league).  It like its the same thing people saw in Raycroft & Toivonen in recent years.  Its like if the guy hasnt been an amazing player for all of eternity, and you like him, youre a "fanboy".  If thats what people want to call my admiration of Thomas, so be it.  But I didnt just jump on his bandwagon this year (especially AFTER the cup win like so many others here).  Ive been defending him and promoting him since Ive been posting here.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one because I dont see how Tuukka grade better than a D this year.  Last year, A-.  Since the meltdown, Im teetering on an F.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]No, it isnt, its a .633 actually.  But its still worse.  Thomas had the best win percentage among goalies who played a "whole" season.  Yeah, CS in Vancouver has a better one, but he played far fewer games.  You cant compare those guys, just like you cant compare Rask to Miller, Luongo, etc.  Its two different things.  And its not that Im a Thomas "fanboy" and Rask "hater":  Ive been a fan of Thomas since he played next door at UVM.  Ive followed his career for a LONG time now.  Thomas has been very good at EVERY level he has played at, in every league.  I still dont see what everyone else sees in Tuukka (he has so little experience in every league).  It like its the same thing people saw in Raycroft & Toivonen in recent years.  Its like if the guy hasnt been an amazing player for all of eternity, and you like him, youre a "fanboy".  If thats what people want to call my admiration of Thomas, so be it.  But I didnt just jump on his bandwagon this year (especially AFTER the cup win like so many others here).  Ive been defending him and promoting him since Ive been posting here. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one because I dont see how Tuukka grade better than a D this year.  Last year, A-.  Since the meltdown, Im teetering on an F.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    BV, we'll find other things to disagree on once the season rolls on I'm sure. Oh well, our team is the best in the world though. Let's agree on hoping for a better season from Rask this year. Cheers!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, Price had a poor season in 2009-2010, but he had basically been the Habs #1 goalie since coming up 4 seasons ago.  He has posted 2 impressive seasons, 1 so-so season and a poor season.  I think what we saw of him this year is the norm, not the exception.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

I also think Price was put into a brutal situation compared to Rask. I think the way Price bounced back in an envirionment that would eat their young shows a great deal of poise. I have a new respect for Price.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season : I also think Price was put into a brutal situation compared to Rask. I think the way Price bounced back in an envirionment that would eat their young shows a great deal of poise. I have a new respect for Price.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    This

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Have to agree with that Nite, no bigger Carey Price fan on this board than me, while I'm glad the B's beat the Habs, I get the feeling Price earned some respect from the Boston faithful with his play in that series, and the way he handled the whole Tim Thomas fight thing was as professional as it gets...I've said it before, being the starting goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens is the single most pressure position in all of sports. Looking back, he may have not been ready for it when he first got it,  but that experience has helped him to get to where he is now...I'm really looking forward to see how Tuuka responds this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Grading Tuukka's 2010-11 season : This
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

This what?

25. This post has been removed.