Grantland is in my brain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Grantland is in my brain

Another stellar article: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9538380/how-fix-nhl/

My absolute favorite idea is the race for draft position concept. From the article:

So we're going to institute Adam Gold's idea, presented at the 2012 Sloan Conference, which rewards winning while also ensuring that the league's worst teams aren't left behind.

Here's how it works: The top draft positions will be awarded based on points earned after playoff elimination. Once a team is officially out of the playoff race, it starts the clock on amassing points toward its draft position. Bad teams still get an advantage (because they're eliminated earlier), but now the emphasis is on winning, not just on riding out the string. It's relatively simple, and it's brilliant.

You're telling me you wouldn't be excited the day the "no. 1 overall pick points" column appeared in the standings? If we were lucky, we could even have late-season showdowns for the top picks. And fans watching those games would actually be cheering for their own teams to win. Imagine that.

Anything jump out at you as awesome, terrible or not mentioned in this article? Forgive me...it's summer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Grantland is in my brain

Grantland rules.

I love the idea of #1 Pick Points.  It would make this season and next season here in SoFla a heck of a lot more interesting.  As of now, the only big question is:  Will the Panthers be mathematically eliminated before or after Christmas Day?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Such a great article.

There are so many things I have said here (and elsewhere) many times.

Get rid of the referee microphones

Go back to home whites

Smaller goalie equipment

Fewer outdoor games

Keep fighting, but eliminate the enforcers

I mean, seriously.  Did I write this article?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I love it.  Great article.  My favorite suggestions are 'longer overtimes/less shootouts' and 'fix the diving problem.

Seriously though, these are almost all really good suggestions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Such a great article.

There are so many things I have said here (and elsewhere) many times.

Get rid of the referee microphones

Go back to home whites

Smaller goalie equipment

Fewer outdoor games

Keep fighting, but eliminate the enforcers

I mean, seriously.  Did I write this article?

Im starting to think you do write for them.

Awesome article and I am into every single idea.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

My issue with awarding points after teams are eliminated from playoff contention is that it's still too unbalanced. Hypothetically, one team might have a higher point total than another yet find themselves eliminated from contention much earlier due to the performance of the other teams in the conference. One team might get 20 games after elimination while another with less points gets significantly less. I could also be just reading too much into it.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

My issue with awarding points after teams are eliminated from playoff contention is that it's still too unbalanced. Hypothetically, one team might have a higher point total than another yet find themselves eliminated from contention much earlier due to the performance of the other teams in the conference. One team might get 20 games after elimination while another with less points gets significantly less. I could also be just reading too much into it.

Good points.  It'll never be implemented, nor will any idea ever be perfect.

It sure would be more fun, however.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Good points.  It'll never be implemented, nor will any idea ever be perfect.

It sure would be more fun, however.

It would defintely make things a lot more exciting and competitive.  But the 'losers' stay 'losers'.

At the end of the day, the NHL is trying to get more fans, i think a lot of these could possibly help them do that.

But yeah, these will prob never happen.

Stinks, id really like to see a Montreal v Boston final.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Stinks, id really like to see a Montreal v Boston final.

They could never do the re-seeding of the league.  The travel costs would put the owners in cardiac arrest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

BUT I WANT IT!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

It's a fun idea, would be fun if they at least tried something. It would make the trade deadline interesting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re-seeding the final four seems like a no-brainer to me. A Bruins-Canadiens Cup Final? I just soiled myself. I'll pay for any added team travel myself.

More home and home series on consecutive nights, too. Teams could crack open the 2-pack ticket options, throw in travel and they'd sell out massively every time. Yes please!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lots of frequently discussed stuff.  The stuff I thought was new: the draft seeding, eliminate conferences earlier in the playoffs, and no more Booing while the Stanley Cup is being awarded by the Commissioner.  I don't care how much people hate that guy, it's not about him.  It's about the Cup.  Booing him at that moment encourages him to think that it's about him.  Hate that.

The problem with the draft position thing is the forever 500s.  The worst place to finish an NHL season is 9th in the conference and 17th in the league.  So, say you're the 'Canes and you have another brutal first three months and you're potentially one of the first teams to be eliminated.  Do you a) go on one of Carolina's typical crazy runs to make the playoffs as soon as you find the mojo?  Or b) play the kids, tinker with your lineup, experiment a bit for next year, and then go on a run once you've dropped from the race?  Or look at the Flyers as another risk factor.  They made the second round or better the three years before last year.  Last year, they were without Pronger and their goalie went flaky.  If Pronger comes back this year, and Mason proves to be the real deal (maturity exercises his inconsistency demons), the Flyers could be right back in the mix.  Now imagine if they got Pronger back around the time they were eliminated last year - which was also around the time Mason put on a good run for them.  You could easily see the 17th best team - or a team that's really the 10th best or 8th best but suffering one or two key injuries - get the top pick because they solve the injury problem at the right time.  And genuinely bad teams aren't going to be able to compete for that pick.  Unless they are waaay early.

Are you not entertained?!?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

"Instead of watching the commissioner get booed and pelted with garbage while he Tom Joneses his way through another awkward presentation..." 

This is the kind of hip writing that makes Grantland so clever, creative and informative at the same time.  I don't know how many were already regular readers but props to you, NAS for introducing me, at least to Grantland.  And yeah, ditch the puck-over-the-glass penalty.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Great read but it certainly didn't help my ADD.  Anyway, I would add one additional item.  Stop calling slashing penalties when the slashee drops his stick.  If the stick breaks, fine, make the call because that renders the slashee practically useless without a stick.  If he drops it he can just pick it back up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

"Instead of watching the commissioner get booed and pelted with garbage while he Tom Joneses his way through another awkward presentation..." 

This is the kind of hip writing that makes Grantland so clever, creative and informative at the same time.  I don't know how many were already regular readers but props to you, NAS for introducing me, at least to Grantland.  And yeah, ditch the puck-over-the-glass penalty.

It brings an element of quality that we have been missing for about the past decade.  That "Rant Sports" article is written about the B's picking up two guys.  It fills the quote, depite not making much sense overall.  Grantland is good writing for smarter fans.  Not "advanced stats" smarts, but just smarter than many.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

This article is one of the reasons why Grantland is on my must-read list.  Consistently high quality, thoughtful writing. 

I like the draft derby idea.  Perhaps a solution to the problems with the idea as currently proposed would be to start a "sub-set of standings" which begin just after the trading deadline (which clearly declares which teams are "buyers" and which are "sellers"); to ensure that all teams are on equal footing, the standings will be made up of a team's last 20 games.  After the end of the regular season, the "competition" is made up of the 14 non-playoff teams.  The rank of these teams determines the drafting order.  

This ensures teams don't tank, and it also discourages teams from doing a trade deadline "sell-off", to further increase their chances of sinking to the coveted #30 spot, and gives their fans something to remain engaged about. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Why not have a playoffs/tournament involving the teams that did not make the playoffs. Winner gets the number 1 pick, team that loses in the finals get the second and so on....Each round is a 5 game series. Do seeding by regualar season wins. Would generate revenue via tickets and television and players from these teams would get a tournament share.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Kel, would you have watched Florida v Colorado at any time while the real playoffs were on?  There would be almost no TV contract for this.  It wouldn't even out-perform the Worlds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Kel, would you have watched Florida v Colorado at any time while the real playoffs were on?  There would be almost no TV contract for this.  It wouldn't even out-perform the Worlds.

No, but the fans in those areas might. And, what is the Avs NESN, Rocky Mountaint Sports (help Fletch) would be able to show the games. If the Bruins were playing a game to decide whether or not they would get a number one pick, especially if its a hyped up one like Crosby or Ovechkin, I'd watch or go. After having a bad year the fans might be more interested watching them be able to play something.

If theres a Connor McDavid available and 3 or 4 Canadian teams battling for him, thats going to generate some interest and revenue. For some teams who struggled all year, it could only be beneficial to the league.

I say why not, try it out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It was a great article. I agreed strongly with a majority of it, although I wish he found a way to include getting rid of staged fights and the All Star game.

Some stuff I didnt agree with:

- no way on going back to home whites. I want to see the Bruins play at home in black. Can you imagine Orr Flying through the air in a white jersey?  Team colors identify a team at home. Rangers? Blue.  Flyers? Orange. Red Wings and Hawks? Uh, red please.

- why disclose injuries more? Dont see the point.

- while I like the idea of trying to make the teams "earn" the draft pick, it kinda goes against the concept of teams needing the picks because they cant be expected to be able to win when they need to.  What Ive always felt was a good idea was, if a team gets a #1 pick, they cannot get higher than say, a #3 for 3 years, or some system like that to keep teams from building monster teams with #1 after #1 pick, (COUGHPITTSBURGHcough!)

-I dont like the crossover Finals. I didnt like the B's vs Rangers in '72. Felt like a quarterfinal round to me. Like the World Series, that final series is supposed to be a team you rarely if ever see.

As a goalie, surprisingly, I like the slightly bigger nets. It eliminates the concerns about reducing equipment to the point of less protection. Id still like to see some equipment (arm pads, pant, leg pads) reduced safely.

My biggest change re: the goalies would be to eliminate the curved goalie stick.

Any of the goalies here old enough to remember playing with a straight stick? I am. Adding a curve made the most useless of puck handlers become, well, kinda competent. Trust me, this will eliminate a lot of puckhandling by the goalies at NO loss to playing goal.

Oh, and speaking of goalies, I have to disagree that today's goalies are "so much better at cutting down angles than the previous generation."  Excuse me? They NEVER cut down angles. Goals go in now from right in front because goalies are always on their knees. The only angles that are cut down are because the goalies and their equipment are bigger.  Most of them play on the goal line. Goalies at the top of their crease now seem like mavericks, wandering about the rink like Jacques Plante in a touque.

Previous goailes werent as big, flexible, athletic or able to make their knees bend sideways, but they were much better at coming out and playing angles. Way, way out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dear Turncoat,

We don't care what you have to say.  During the second half of last season and until the B's came back to beat Toronto, you filled this forum with venom and bile and dung.  You called this team chokers, gutless puke$ and 100 other things.

You hate this team.

So stop talking to the fans of this team.

Because we don't want you here.

Beat it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Excellent read!  Bigger nets idea, hmmm. Less OT and especially shootouts. Nice. 

Canada is as pure as the driven snow. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

It's a fun idea, would be fun if they at least tried something. It would make the trade deadline interesting.

How?  Every team would be buyers and there would be no sellers.  There would be very few trades.  TSN and Sportnet would be looking for new ways to fill up 6 hours of programming they commit to the trade deadline.

Sections
Shortcuts