Great article from Dryden on the CBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Great article from Dryden on the CBA

A must-read article on the CBA and Bettman's strategies from the Senator/lawyer/HHOFer.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/league-and-players-are-fighting-in-an-age-of-disagreement/article4543964/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Great article from Dryden on the CBA

Good article. The truest fact is that regardless of their outcome, the only ones who really lose are the fans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Like I saidf elsewhere, the only ones who truly lose are the working class stiffs who rely on the NHL for their paychecks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I disagree with Dryden in his thinking that Bettman controls owners. I think the richest owners control the mid-market and the small-market owners plus Bettman. It was Murray Edwards and Jeremy Jacobs who handed the latest CBA offer to Bettman on Wednsday. Which of course was quickly rejected by Fehr and the players.

The owners wanted a cap but still the richest owners signed off on big deals becuase they couldn't control themselves. Big terrible contracts with giving the players getting 57% of HRR back fired and now as Dryden explained the fans will once again pay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

what's polarized my overall opinion of this CBA soap opera, is what Dryden points out as "a fight that doesn't need to happen".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"I think the richest owners control the mid-market and the small-market owners plus Bettman. It was Murray Edwards and Jeremy Jacobs who handed the latest CBA offer to Bettman on Wednsday. Which of course was quickly rejected by Fehr and the players. The owners wanted a cap but still the richest owners signed off on big deals becuase they couldn't control themselves".

Spot on, Sandog.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree with Dryden in his thinking that Bettman controls owners. I think the richest owners control the mid-market and the small-market owners plus Bettman. It was Murray Edwards and Jeremy Jacobs who handed the latest CBA offer to Bettman on Wednsday. Which of course was quickly rejected by Fehr and the players.

The owners wanted a cap but still the richest owners signed off on big deals becuase they couldn't control themselves. Big terrible contracts with giving the players getting 57% of HRR back fired and now as Dryden explained the fans will once again pay.

I think what he means is that Bettman has a large majority, solidly behind him, and I agree.    JJ is hugely respected, because he's the ultimate "businessman".  He walks the talk...always has, and has been an unwavering voice of defense for the have not teams for years.  Helps too, that he has more to gain than almost any owner...when the group decides to be more fiscally responsible.

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think it's time to bring in a mediator to attempt to get some movement (from both sides) away from their entrenched positions. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And Dryden would be a good choice for that role actually.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

He'd be an even better choice for Bettman's job.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That not so much, some scuttlebutt that he may be busy next year, there's pressure from parts of the Liberal party for him to put in a leadership bid again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I read the "must read" article.  It says, "the owners and the players need to stop this."

Thanks, Dryden.  Groundbreaking stuff there. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Really?

In comparison to the 500 other columns written about the bargaining, Dryden takes a different approach and provides a historical analysis of Bettman's mindset in previous negotiations, and applies that template to the current session.  He discusses the "digital" approach to bargaining (win/lose) vs. finding an "analog" solution (compromise).  He finds some key points in the stances taken by each side.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

bump

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

bump

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

bump

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Dryden is probably one of the smartest people to have ever played the game, but he's also very hard to listen to his articulate ways of speaking.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

bump

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think alot of is opininated and he doesnt know for sure what Bettman says to the owners. I highly doubt Bettman would speak that way to people he works for.