Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M???

$3.9M per year for the next 6 years for this guy?  Seems a little steep to me when you figure that Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk, Corvo and McQuaid all make less than he will. 

Oh well, good thing the Habs don't have any bad contracts to deal with.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383970

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M???

Not a bad signing in and of itself I think, but the Habs have 5 UFA's and 7 RFA's to sign this year, including Subban and Price, and already have $46.25 in committed salary for next season. Gives them about $16 million to $18 million (depending on what the cap is) to spend on half their team, including their top two players. Not a good position to be in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think that Georges is a  pretty good all around d-man, but for that price? Likely could of got him signed for cheaper at the beginning of the season, but hey if it keeps the Habs that much closer to the cap, i'm all for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Decent player but too much for too long.
    ..and to think I forgot to send Gauthier a Christmas card this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M???:
    [QUOTE]$3.9M per year for the next 6 years for this guy?  Seems a little steep to me when you figure that Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk, Corvo and McQuaid all make less than he will.  Oh well, good thing the Habs don't have any bad contracts to deal with. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383970
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    Crowls, I was surprised by the numbers too. What's next in Montreal? Maybe another extension for Markov........forget that, I see they've already got him locked in for 2 more years at 5.75 million.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I'll take Seidenberg @ $3.25M & Ference @ $2.25 over this guy all day long. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well if they gave Gorges that, what is Subban going to demand? He won't take less than Gorges - $4 - $5 million? Then add in Price, a top flight goalie who is the only reason they're not in the basement with Columbus and Anaheim, so he can likely demand another $5 million at least (possibly more if an offer sheet comes - Bryz got $10 m for god'ssake). Leaves them around $6 - 8 million to fill 8-9 roster spots, including two of their biggest minute munchers in Gill and Diaz. Also, considering they only have one natural RW on the whole team and they're bad enough to possibly get a lottery pick, they have a lot of holes to fill and next to no cash to get it done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M???:
    [QUOTE]Well if they gave Gorges that, what is Subban going to demand? He won't take less than Gorges - $4 - $5 million? Then add in Price, a top flight goalie who is the only reason they're not in the basement with Columbus and Anaheim, so he can likely demand another $5 million at least (possibly more if an offer sheet comes - Bryz got $10 m for god'ssake). Leaves them around $6 - 8 million to fill 8-9 roster spots, including two of their biggest minute munchers in Gill and Diaz. Also, considering they only have one natural RW on the whole team and they're bad enough to possibly get a lottery pick, they have a lot of holes to fill and next to no cash to get it done.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

good breakdown red. montreal's situation is unbelievable. im not even going to get into the forwards. defense for this team should have been a strong area for the habs but its been there achilles heel to say the least.

1. andrei markov is being paid 5.75 a year til 14/15 - hasn't touched ice this year and is going in for another knee surgery.
    2.tomas kaberle is being paid 4.25 a year til 14/15 - has helped alittle i guess on power play but that is too much money for a guy who is not logging over 20 mins a game is a waste.
    3.josh gorges is being paid 2.5 this year then new deal will pay him 3.9 til 17/18 that seems like alot for a guy who doesn't produce alot of offence. gorges best season was 08/09 when he had 4 goals and 19 assists.

after those guys the habs are looking at having 13 players signed for next season already at the low low price of 47.4 million dollars. that will leave about 18 million dollars for maybe the worst general manger in the nhl to sign RFA'S like carey price,pk subban, lars eller,raphael diaz,ryan white and alexei emelin. then lastly the UFA'S he has to make decsions on like kostitsyn,moen,dache,gill and campoli.

heres to hoping that pierre gauthier keeps his job as gm of montreal cause there is no telling how far he can drag them down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If the habs send Gomez to the minors do they get any cap relief or does the contract stay ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M??? : good breakdown red. montreal's situation is unbelievable. im not even going to get into the forwards. defense for this team should have been a strong area for the habs but its been there achilles heel to say the least. 1. andrei markov is being paid 5.75 a year til 14/15 - hasn't touched ice this year and is going in for another knee surgery. 2.tomas kaberle is being paid 4.25 a year til 14/15 - has helped alittle i guess on power play but that is too much money for a guy who is not logging over 20 mins a game is a waste. 3.josh gorges is being paid 2.5 this year then new deal will pay him 3.9 til 17/18 that seems like alot for a guy who doesn't produce alot of offence. gorges best season was 08/09 when he had 4 goals and 19 assists. after those guys the habs are looking at having 13 players signed for next season already at the low low price of 47.4 million dollars. that will leave about 18 million dollars for maybe the worst general manger in the nhl to sign RFA'S like carey price,pk subban, lars eller,raphael diaz,ryan white and alexei emelin. then lastly the UFA'S he has to make decsions on like kostitsyn,moen,dache,gill and campoli.   heres to hoping that pierre gauthier keeps his job as gm of montreal cause there is no telling how far he can drag them down.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]
    Loyal, everyone keeps mentioning how much Kaberle makes but fail to notice the guy he was traded for made only 325,000 less. Happy New Year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Just wondering is the message that Markov will be LTIR?, Gorges then would not be a bad signing.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Just wondering is the message that Markov will be LTIR?, Gorges then would not be a bad signing.   
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    Isla, I think the problem is that Markov will eventually return and then they'll really be in a pickle. Lots of money guaranteed for a long time. I could see giving Gorges 3.9 for 3 years but 6 years seems like too much. Happy New Year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M??? : Loyal, everyone keeps mentioning how much Kaberle makes but fail to notice the guy he was traded for made only 325,000 less.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    The thing about Spacek's contract is that the Canes are free of him after this year whereas the Habs have Tomas for 2 more years. I think thats what Rutherford was looking at and Muller's familiarity with him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M??? : The thing about Spacek's contract is that the Canes are free of him after this year whereas the Habs have Tomas for 2 more years. I think thats what Rutherford was looking at and Muller's familiarity with him.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]
    50, you're premise is correct but it's hard to ever figure what Rutherford is looking at. It's rare to see a GM so readily admit defeat. I mean, we all watched the playoffs (as I'm sure, Rutherford did too). He knew exactly what he was getting and still made the deal. Strange to say the least.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M??? : 50, you're premise is correct but it's hard to ever figure what Rutherford is looking at. It's rare to see a GM so readily admit defeat. I mean, we all watched the playoffs (as I'm sure, Rutherford did too). He knew exactly what he was getting and still made the deal. Strange to say the least.
    Dez I think he overvalued his team as did Burke when he signed Kessel. That was his biggest failure, not knowing what he had or at the very least he believed what Maurice fed him.As a G.m i think you have to have an idea what your team has and what it needs, but Rutherford knows now Kaberle wasn't it. Its like they're in a full rebuild now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M??? : 50, you're premise is correct but it's hard to ever figure what Rutherford is looking at. It's rare to see a GM so readily admit defeat. I mean, we all watched the playoffs (as I'm sure, Rutherford did too). He knew exactly what he was getting and still made the deal. Strange to say the least.

That's what the market was paying.  I hated Kaberle's soft play as much as anyone, but does anyone think Christian Ehrhoff played any better in the finals?  He was awarded a much bigger contract.  It was a sellers market.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M??? : That's what the market was paying.  I hated Kaberle's soft play as much as anyone, but does anyone think Christian Ehrhoff played any better in the finals?  He was awarded a much bigger contract.  It was a sellers market.
    Posted by BSXIII[/QUOTE]
    Good point indeed. There were many exorbitant deals in the offseason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Habs are terrible with contracts.  This is another bad one. They don't know what they are doing with the cap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

[QUOTE]If the habs send Gomez to the minors do they get any cap relief or does the contract stay ?
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Assuming he clears waivers (and let's face it he probably will) he won't count against the cap. Same goes for any contract with the exception of over-35 deals which always count except for a very small amount (100k or thereabouts).

Capgeek is a good source for all the salary stuff. Wow! That Gomez deal is insane. He's on a sliding scale which may make him attractive to teams trying to get above the cap while reducing payroll. Problem his there's still another 5.5m next year and 4.5m the year after. Crazy money. Why did the Rangers sign that deal and why did the Habs take it on? Those stats are painful. Think about how much grief we gave Wheeler or Ryder and they had way better numbers than that.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=624

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Shocked the Habs would sign another big contract for such a long time given their recent history with long contracts and injury/underperformance (Markov, Gomez...)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

All of your comments reinforce the skill of Peter Chiarelli in assembling this Bruins team. I'm sure the agents for bruins defensemen are salivating, but Peter is no slouch to bargain with.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I can only imagine Boychuck and his agent walking into PC's office....
    "We saw what Gorges got; we're looking for something similar"

"Get the f*** outta here! I refuse to match any offer that d******ag gives his soft players. Are you a man? Cool. Take less money".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Josh georges and Subban are about the only reliable  d fence the habs have.
    Markov has not played a game yet,  5 mill wasted, Kaberle another 5 mill wasted. The habs are making moves that do not make sense money wise. A dynasty once upon a time but an embarrassment today, I can't stand the habs but i wonder what theWhat are they doing in habs land. They let two good prospect coaches slip trough their hands.

I think the best thing for the habs is not to make the playoffs and start selling and rebuilding. And i will not feel one bit of sympathy for the franchise.

If Markov can get back healthy and play some good hockey before deadline trade bait get what they can for him.

Cammaleri and Gionta trade for some picks and prospects. Gomez trade for 10 year supply of pea soup for the team and i am being generous.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

a comparable B'S d-man in my opinion is Ference....

what a helluva bargain we got!....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Extend Josh Gorges: 6 yrs/ $23.4M??? : Loyal, everyone keeps mentioning how much Kaberle makes but fail to notice the guy he was traded for made only 325,000 less. Happy New Year.

i wasn't leaving that out dez and honestly i dont think spacek gives Montreal much more then kaberle is or will in the future. what do u think of the 2 players side by side as far as helping the habs win hockey games.

dez i think the biggest factor in the trade not making sense is that spacek is up after this year so the habs could get out from under his bloated contract, by dealing for kaberle they take on 2 more years of soft play for 8 million plus.