Habs Future Looks Bright?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Habs Future Looks Bright?

This is what bugs me about bandwagon media:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453538" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453538

The article headlines that the future of the present Habs team looks bright yet spends almost the entire text outlining the vast number of ufa and rfas the present team has which almost assures a large scale roster change. So is the future bright or uncertain then for the present team? Yeesh....

The implication is that the team is young and full of promise when in reality the average age of the their playoff roster was actually older than the B's, LA, and Chicago. They loaded up on vets over the summer and at the deadline (Parros, Briere, Vanek, Weaver, Murray, Weise, etc). And what rooks did Therrien really play in the post-season? Beaulieu in limited mins when Emelin went down, Galy when he came back from injury and Tokaski because he had to. Yet the article in its headline (and espoused by many of its fans) implies that they are in the middle of a "re-build" when nothing could be further from the truth.

Same crap when they went to the ECF on the shoulders of Halak a few seasons back and how did that work out? Media band-wagoning at its worst.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Habs Future Looks Bright?

Happen every year in every sport. The "experts" rarely get it right, none that I saw predicted the Rangers would make the SCF's, but they will next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I responded to that TSN 'story' but no doubt my 'Hab overachievers will soon be brought back to reality next season' comment will have been either disliked in the 3 figures or commented off their board by now.  

TSN. Making it up as they go along.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Happen every year in every sport. The "experts" rarely get it right, none that I saw predicted the Rangers would make the SCF's, but they will next year.

It sure makes Torts look bad too doesn't it? 2 teams swap coaches. One of them goes to the Finals while the other one tanks early. Hard not to look at coaching after the outcomes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Headline doesn't match the content of the article.

Bergevin has a tough task ahead of him with RFA's; Subban, Eller and playoff sweetheart Dale Weise.  UFA's include; Markov, Vanek, Gionta, Weaver and Boullion.

CapGeek projects $26.45M to work with.  Good amount of room, but no shortage of moves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which probably means they will not qualify....lol. Usually how it works.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bergevin has a tough task ahead of him with RFA's; Subban, Eller and playoff sweetheart Dale Weise.  UFA's include; Markov, Vanek, Gionta, Weaver and Boullion.

CapGeek projects $26.45M to work with.  Good amount of room, but no shortage of moves.

[/QUOTE]

Indeed it will be very interesting to see what they do and who they keep. Whatever happens it appears the team is in for a bit of an overhaul.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

i'll take the B'S lineup over theirs for the foreseeable future, at least.... 

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

But isn't that TSNs and CBCs job, or other Canadian bases media outlets, to pump up their readers about Canadian based teams ?

The Rangers are a year older n wiser and have MSL. Vancouver had injuries pretty early this season and don't have Lundqvist. I couldn't name one defenseman on the Canucklheads that can do what Girardi, McDonagh and Staal have done in this years playoffs.

That doesn't excuse Torts hallway performance in Calgary. That put one of the last nails in the coffin for his coaching career.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But isn't that TSNs and CBCs job, or other Canadian bases media outlets, to pump up their readers about Canadian based teams ?

[/QUOTE]

CBC yes, TSN historically no. Cullen actually has his Team profiles listing what they need and what they have which is quite informative. This article, however, is misleading fantasy. They should have let Cullen handle it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thomas Vanish won't be getting an offer from the shabs anytime soon....  as for Markov, it looks like he'll have to accept a two-year offer or they'll let him test fa....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thomas Vanish won't be getting an offer from the shabs anytime soon....  as for Markov, it looks like he'll have to accept a two-year offer or they'll let him test fa....

[/QUOTE]

Markov will be re-signed. Who on earth do the Habs have that can soak up his 25+ mins a night? Subban can't play 40 mins all by himself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Markov won't be cheap for Montreal. Betcha Lou Lam snaps up Gionta, the Dallas Stars of the North East. Before this year I thought Gionta had something left in the tank, oh was I mistaken.

I wonder if Bergevin makes a run at Gaborik ?

I can see the Gazette headlines now...

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Markov won't be cheap for Montreal. Betcha Lou Lam snaps up Gionta, the Dallas Stars of the North East. Before this year I thought Gionta had something left in the tank, oh was I mistaken.

I wonder if Bergevin makes a run at Gaborik ?

I can see the Gazette headlines now...

[/QUOTE]

The "rumour" is Paul Stastny because they need a bona fide 1st line centerman. DD is simply not it....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The "rumour" is Paul Stastny because they need a bona fide 1st line centerman. DD is simply not it....

[/QUOTE]

He certainly isn't but i think he has about 3 yrs left on his overpaid deal,i see them taking a run at Stastny as well if they have enough cap space.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

"Thomas Vanish"....LOL, I love it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He certainly isn't but i think he has about 3 yrs left on his overpaid deal,i see them taking a run at Stastny as well if they have enough cap space.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. He's not horrible but fits much better as a second liner than trying to be "the man" on the first. At the time of his signing he had just come off a decent year and the team really didn't have another option. The onus is now on Bergevin to upgrade his team in the midst of half the roster heading towards free agency. The next season will likely make or break him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

"Thomas Vanish"....LOL, I love it!

[/QUOTE]

Thats a keeper for sure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

For both the rangers and habs: they got a lot further than they should have, the hockey gods smiled on them, their rosters still aren't overly impressive. Although man the rangers blue line is deep

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For both the rangers and habs: they got a lot further than they should have, the hockey gods smiled on them, their rosters still aren't overly impressive. Although man the rangers blue line is deep

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

hockey gods or not those teams made it further than the B'S....

hockey gods shouldn't be taken into consideration when PC addresses what went wrong....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most thought Bergevin was brilliant by not signing pk long term.  That bridge deal was right in pks wheel house.  Dont be shocked if he gets offered a massive offer sheet.  

Gionta, Boullion Vanek are gone.  Weise will take a friendly deal.  Weaver likely looks to the highest bidder(he was excellent for them).  

Subban,Markov Lars all resigned.  

I see the habs being active on the trade front.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Most thought Bergevin was brilliant by not signing pk long term.  That bridge deal was right in pks wheel house.  Dont be shocked if he gets offered a massive offer sheet.  

Gionta, Boullion Vanek are gone.  Weise will take a friendly deal.  Weaver likely looks to the highest bidder(he was excellent for them).  

Subban,Markov Lars all resigned.  

I see the habs being active on the trade front.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

i'd love to see another team dictate Subban's value and put the shabs up against the cap for years to come....  

i don't see it happening though because teams know the shabs will be matching unlike the Flyers who didn't think Nashville had the means to hang on to Shea Weber....

still, i see Subban getting a max deal at around 8 mil. per....

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

Toronto should make a crazy offer. They have lots of money.  Wtv the matket sets for pk tor shoukd give 1m more per year. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

Toronto, now wouldn't that be a kick in the head to the shabs....