Habs Offer To Subban.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Habs Offer To Subban.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/01/report-montreal-offers-subban-two-year-5-5-million-deal/

Is 2.75 per year just the opening offer from Montreal or is that what they really think he's worth? I personally expected to see him sign for about 1 million a year more than that so I'm wondering if these negotiations could get ugly. Habs just gave Markov 5.75 even though he's only played 65 games in the last 3 years so this offer to Subban really seems like lowballing. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Habs Offer To Subban.

I'm with you dez -- I think it is incredible that they would offer Subban less than half of what Markov is getting.  Subban has held that blueline together while Markov gets injured any time he looks at ice.  Subban has been among league leaders in TOI as well.  And, he's a better all around player too.

I don't like Subban at all, but I think he deserves more and could rightfully laugh in the face of this offer.  Is this a sign that perhaps Montreal isn't that interested in keeping this guy around?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

If he's not I'd send an offer sheet to MTL. He has a cannon of a shot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dirt Clod Jams. Show Dirt Clod Jams's posts

I'd be down to send a decent offer sheet over too, except that means open season on Marchand, Lucic, Seguin and Rask next year...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

That's a total ripoff for Subban, and insulting (relative terms) .  He plays in all situations and has comps to some of the higher paid D-men (Carle) in this league, He's better than Ehrhoff and Wiz, imo, and much more physical.    Unless he is a problem in the locker room, I would lock him up in one of those cap friendly long term deals between 4-5 mill per year.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I think ownership often comes in with a first offer that's really low-ball like that but we just don't always hear about it. That being said, this is a really lower than I think anyone would have expected. Subban probably fell on the floor laughing. Sort of like when he's challenged to a fight :P

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hope it gets ugly knowing Holmgren needs help on the blueline more than he needs a 30-35 goal scorer like Ryan. Perfect scenario for the aggressive Philly GM to come in and ruin the Shabs for the upcoming season by keeping them on that downward trend they are on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Habs are gonna let him walk? sure looks like it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban.:
    [QUOTE]I'd be down to send a decent offer sheet over too, except that means open season on Marchand, Lucic, Seguin and Rask next year...
    Posted by Dirt Clod Jams[/QUOTE]

Only if the Bruins are silly enough to let any of them reach RFA status.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Subban and Price are the only things of value the Habs have. That offer seems low to me.  That said, PK is a bit like Marchand. His head is prone to exploding. This offer is actually pretty similar to what the Bruins gave to Brad and I think the reasoning may be the same in both cases: keep his ego (and game) in check. There was a lot of talk about Subban's game going downhill last year while his me-first attitude got worse. The low offer says "You ain't done anything yet, kid".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Subban and Price are the only things of value the Habs have. That offer seems low to me.  That said, PK is a bit like Marchand. His head is prone to exploding. This offer is actually pretty similar to what the Bruins gave to Brad and I think the reasoning may be the same in both cases: keep his ego (and game) in check. There was a lot of talk about Subban's game going downhill last year while his me-first attitude got worse. The low offer says "You ain't done anything yet, kid".
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    OC, I also thought of Marchand and his deal when I saw the offer. That said, I place more value on a young D-man than I do a young forward. 23 year old anchors for your D seem harder to come by. Your logic makes lots of sense though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Subban and Price are the only things of value the Habs have. That offer seems low to me.  That said, PK is a bit like Marchand. His head is prone to exploding. This offer is actually pretty similar to what the Bruins gave to Brad and I think the reasoning may be the same in both cases: keep his ego (and game) in check. There was a lot of talk about Subban's game going downhill last year while his me-first attitude got worse. The low offer says "You ain't done anything yet, kid".
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Or that they have some kind of master plan that doesn't involve PK?

I could only guess what that plan would be, but they might be hunting for draft picks and writing off this coming season.  They might want to become the Oilers.

I'm just throwing the idea out there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : Or that they have some kind of master plan that doesn't involve PK? I could only guess what that plan would be, but they might be hunting for draft picks and writing off this coming season.  They might want to become the Oilers. I'm just throwing the idea out there.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

If their plan is to suck then I'm all for it. The Habs without PK would make me much happier.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : Or that they have some kind of master plan that doesn't involve PK? I could only guess what that plan would be, but they might be hunting for draft picks and writing off this coming season.  They might want to become the Oilers. I'm just throwing the idea out there.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    There were some rumours that the Oil might extend an offer sheet to PK. I can't see it happening but it would certainly be a bold move if they tried it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : If their plan is to suck then I'm all for it. The Habs without PK would make me much happier.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Though it would make the Habs worse than they all ready are, I really enjoy what PK can bring to the rivalry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : There were some rumours that the Oil might extend an offer sheet to PK. I can't see it happening but it would certainly be a bold move if they tried it.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Montreal would match any offer sheet, even if it means paying more than they intend to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : There were some rumours that the Oil might extend an offer sheet to PK. I can't see it happening but it would certainly be a bold move if they tried it.

If only one of their 3 last 1st round picks had a French last name, there could be a deal that would make everyone happy.  Including us.  Taylor Halliene wouldn't turn the franchise around and we could have great fun with a Taylor Tyler match up every month.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : I'm pretty sure Montreal would match any offer sheet, even if it means paying more than they intend to.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]
    I have no doubt that's true.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm suprised at how low the offer is, but what has he done other than frustrate people in that organization? This kid has all the tools, he's oozing with talent and charisma, but he needs to grow up. Perhaps this is Montreal saying, if you want the big bucks, you have to show us more than flashes, and we'd like to see you mature. If he does that, in two years, he'd be one of the highest paid defenseman in the league.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban.:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : There were some rumours that the Oil might extend an offer sheet to PK. I can't see it happening but it would certainly be a bold move if they tried it.

I would if I were Tambellini. Think of the addition to the already great team speed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]That's a total ripoff for Subban, and insulting (relative terms) .  He plays in all situations and has comps to some of the higher paid D-men (Carle) in this league, He's better than Ehrhoff and Wiz, imo, and much more physical.    Unless he is a problem in the locker room, I would lock him up in one of those cap friendly long term deals between 4-5 mill per year.  
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]

Who?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Subban hasn't proven himself yet. he is not worthy of a big payday. He is a cocky, arrogant kid who must earn the right to be paid the big bucks. Some people on here are making him out to be just as good as Weber, Chara or Karlson.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Subban hasn't proven himself yet. he is not worthy of a big payday. He is a cocky, arrogant kid who must earn the right to be paid the big bucks. Some people on here are making him out to be just as good as Weber, Chara or Karlson.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

This might be how Hab brass is viewing him but I remember reading that his former D-partner Hal Gill played a big role in him toning down his act.  Subban is arguably their most impactful defenseman. 

His total ice time has already been discussed but a salary of $2.75 million would make him the fourth-highest paid defenceman on the Canadiens, behind Andre Markov at $5.75 million, Tomas Kaberle at $4.25 million and Josh Gorges at $3.9 million.  The offer does seem on the low side for one of the more talented young defenders in the league and his importance to Hab success. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. : This might be how Hab brass is viewing him but I remember reading that his former D-partner Hal Gill played a big role in him toning down his act.  Subban is arguably their most impactful defenseman.  His total ice time has already been discussed but a salary of $2.75 million would make him the fourth-highest paid defenceman on the Canadiens, behind Andre Markov at $5.75 million, Tomas Kaberle at $4.25 million and Josh Gorges at $3.9 million.  The offer does seem on the low side for one of the more talented young defenders in the league and his importance to Hab success. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    I just have a hard time respecting a punk that picks fights then hides behind the refs. The kid does have skill, I just don't like any Hab players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban.:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Habs Offer To Subban. :  His total ice time has already been discussed but a salary of $2.75 million would make him the fourth-highest paid defenceman on the Canadiens, behind Andre Markov at $5.75 million, Tomas Kaberle at $4.25 million and Josh Gorges at $3.9 million.  The offer does seem on the low side for one of the more talented young defenders in the league and his importance to Hab success. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

This is why Subban should laugh at the offer as of today he is better than all three of those defenseman.

Sections
Shortcuts