Habs Too Scared To Play Chicken......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Habs Too Scared To Play Chicken......

Am I the only one that's surprised the Habs were so quick to flinch by signing Markov to a 3 year extension at 5.75 per? Seems foolishly high to me. No wonder Markov didn't test the waters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Habs Too Scared To Play Chicken......

Markov raked.  I love it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Habs Too Scared To Play Chicken......:
    [QUOTE]Markov raked.  I love it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Me too Nas. The Habs are starting to collect bad contracts. Good for them!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Piling on now...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/montreal-canadiens/Will+anyone+take+Scott+Gomez+Habs+hands/5008818/story.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'll quote NAS but change the players name "Nobody wants Gomez!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Anyone want to hazard a guess how long Markov lasts this year before he gets injured? What a waste......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CactusTonia. Show CactusTonia's posts

none of your business!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I'll quote NAS but change the players name "Nobody wants Gomez!"
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

LOL

How many times did I say that last summer?!?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I was pleased with the Markov deal too.  The Gomez contract is without question one of the worst in all of hockey.  I think the Markov deal is anotheer overreach.  We all know he'll get injured again, and when he does, that is a lot of money clogging the payroll and preventing other signings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AugustusPuckus. Show AugustusPuckus's posts

Bob Gainey, architect of the Gomez deal.

I'm sure Glen Sather was dancing after unloading that albatross.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Marcov is pretty good when healthy, which hasn't been much latley.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

It's a roll of the dice: high risk, high reward.

For sake of argument, let's assume Markov is OK to come back and play at a high level like he did before he was injured (the Habs think he can, which is why they signed him).  If Markov can stay healthy (and that's an Olympic Tower-sized IF) it's a tremendous deal. The Habs are a much better team with him in the lineup than they were without him, both in their own end and offensively. The power play (which really lagged for long stretches) is a completely different animal with Markov on the unit, and if (that word again) they can put Markov and Subban out there at the same time, it'll give opponents fits. Overall, add Markov and Gorges (if he is back, which seems to be a safe assumption) to the mix of defenceman and that top 6 is very solid. Now, that's the perfect storm of things going right, and it's a lot to ask for, but it's not out of the question.

On the other hand, Markov is no good if he can't play, and when you count on someone being there, losing them throws a wrench into plans and strategy. Part of the risk isn't that bad: if he's hurt and put on LTIR, the Habs will do what they did this year and go get a rental (like Wisniewski), but that obviously costs draft picks at the very least, and they'd be limited to what would be available. And if Markov does get hurt and CAN come back, he may do so in a much more limited capacity and still draw 5.25 against the cap. That would be big trouble.

Overall, it all depends on how much you want to roll the dice. This could turn into a great deal or a disaster, and it remains to be seen. But it's indeed a risky, risky proposition.

Personally, I always like it when this board claims that the Habs have made a poor move (as they did a year ago, when Halak was traded...the poor Habs were doomed, as Price was a headcase, couldn't hack the pressure, and Montreal would finish 13th in the East). :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]I'll quote NAS but change the players name "Nobody wants Gomez!"
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, some of these teams that need to reach the cap floor may take Gomez off their hands.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Habs Too Scared To Play Chicken......:[QUOTE]Marcov is pretty good when healthy, which hasn't been much latley.Posted by john6345[/QUOTE]

Markov is better than just pretty good for what he does for the Canadiens. If he had hit the open market I would have wanted PC to go after him just not for that price for that many years.