Haggerty on Jacobs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Haggerty on Jacobs

Any thoughts from the Boston hometown feel to this article.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

Re: Haggerty on Jacobs

Yeah, he couldn't be more right.  Jacobs was absolutely a terrible owner who didn't ever invest the resources (not just money) into the team to make it a contender year after year.  But the one thing he's done in the last 7-8 years since the lockout is spend to the cap, which is what he said he would do.  Everyone has the ability to grow and change over time and as long as he continues to let Charlie, Cam and Peter run the show, then I think we'll be ok.
    Hopefully, he's learned from his mistakes.  He's certainly saying all the right things.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

"Booing the B’s ownership in such a bush-league manner makes a portion of the fan base look like bitter, petulant children who simply can’t let go of a grudge, even though it's been years since they could legitimately have a real issue with the way the team is run."

Good article...This quote sums it up.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

i agree with everything in this article.  Good read, thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

excellent read. Spot on

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

What I lack in hockey knowledge I make up for in sharing good articles. I kind of feel the same it is time to put the past behind. We are Cup Champs and the Fans need to act that way too. Class trumps everything and this is a pretty classy team for all the snarl they show on the ice. Except for this game today which is a snoozer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Haggerty on Jacobs:
    What I lack in hockey knowledge I make up for in sharing good articles. I kind of feel the same it is time to put the past behind. We are Cup Champs and the Fans need to act that way too. Class trumps everything and this is a pretty classy team for all the snarl they show on the ice. Except for this game today which is a snoozer. 
    Posted by Macfact

This thread is more exciting than the game has been.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

That's not saying much for the Bruin's dez lol

Liked your thoughts on the line changes on the early post. Good thoughts. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

The article is 100% pure bull excrement!  Every single person who has paid to see a Bruins game since Jacobs has been the owner has PAID for the right to boo that piece of garbage, sorry excuse of an owner.  How many years did he keep this team from being a legitimate contender because of money?  The Bruins were a team where NOBODY wanted to go to because of Jacobs and the idiots he had under him.  This championship has NOTHING to do with Jacobs, other than he was the default owner when they won.  Its not like he went out an bought the best players like other owners were doing when there was no cap.  Every single person in that building should have booed him to the point of NOBODY being able to hear him.  He is so fake every time he speaks at something it makes me sick.  He was getting booed so hard that he finally had to skip his pre-written speech and say the fans won it too.  Youre damn right we did, but with no help from you, you SOB!!!!!  He personally made the Bruins a crap team for DECADES!!!!!!  Now that there is a cap and the Bruins FINALLY won a championship we're supposed to thank him!?!?!  REALLY!?!?!?! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Can't argue with the past bigvig and the logic but he did give over the reins to people who knew what they were doing. So does it show anything at the Banner raising to boo him or just let him speak quickly and get off the stage so the real hero's can speak. Just a thought. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Ill boo him every time I see him for the crap he put us fans through for the past 3 decades.  I dont see him as a hockey club owner, I see him as a business owner who is clueless about hockey and only in it for the money.  I hate the guy with a passion and that will never change.  Ill never forget the crap he's pulled over the years nor will I think he had anything to do with this championship.  But hey, thats just me.

Now Arthur Blank, THATS an owner!  Lower ticket prices, on the field WITH the players at the end of the games, PERSONALLY meeting with players, making promises to the fans and following through on them, etc.  There are many great owners in sports today, Jacobs isnt one of them simply because the Bruins won the Cup this year. 

And when he was giving his speech, what was with the comment, "Raise the damn thing up already!"  That REALLY put a bad taste in my mouth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Did he really say that. If he did then yes that is no class. Big I have been a Bruins fan through all the bad years to. I just want to enjoy this team without the distractions of Jacobs being a big point of discussion. I agree the last years have been horrible. I personally want to focus on the young possibilities. Can't fault you for your point of view though. Cheers Big.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Did he really say that. If he did then yes that is no class. Big I have been a Bruins fan through all the bad years to. I just want to enjoy this team without the distractions of Jacobs being a big point of discussion. I agree the last years have been horrible. I personally want to focus on the young possibilities. Can't fault you for your point of view though. Cheers Big.
    Posted by Macfact

To me, the gist of Jacob's comment was more along the lines of, "I'll shut up now. Let's raise the damn flag". I didn't feel it was at all offensive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Now Arthur Blank, THATS an owner!  Lower ticket prices, on the field WITH the players at the end of the games, PERSONALLY meeting with players, making promises to the fans and following through on them, etc.  
    Posted by bigvig

Hummm. a "hands off" owner and 3 conference championships, 1 presidents trophy, 13 division championships, and a stanley cup....or a "hands on" owner, like Arthur Blank, 2 division championships and 0 superbowl appearances..If Bank owned the Bruins and had the same record here...you would be booing him too.

No, the real reason you though the article is Bull, was because it was talking to you and you arn't adult enough to admit it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Jacobs' defense, he sacked O'Connell and brought in new blood with PC. He then allowed PC to buy out some bad contracts and correct his first mistake of hiring Lewis. Both of these things are examples of cash he didn't have to spend but did. He's allowed PC and his staff to aggressively pursue some of the top free agents that have been available during his regime(Chara,Savard) and he's given free reign to spend to the cap. All of these things cost money that didn't have to be spent. No one can argue the Jacobs family has always been good for the Bruins but you can certainly make a case for them in the last 7 years.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I guess one of those 500 rings one must be going to Mr Haggerty. I agree with most of what he had to say but to say the fans had no right to boo him for the past is bs. To each their own but I have no problem with JJ getting booed anywhere and I don't need to see him speaking at bruins games. He comes out of the cave in buffalo after the team wins. Nice to see JJ still alive! He must be feeling well as tickets went up again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Haggerty on Jacobs : To me, the gist of Jacob's comment was more along the lines of, "I'll shut up now. Let's raise the damn flag". I didn't feel it was at all offensive.
    Posted by dezaruchi

It wasn't offensive at all.  To consider it such...one has to be digging pretty deep.
    I've got no problem with JJ any more, but I'm not giving him a free pass either.
    The cap was his baby, so he had to spend to it.  The cap has been the greatest money maker imaginable, for strong hockey markets, and only a fool wouldn't have known that going in.
    JJ threw MOC under a bus, when his own meddling screwed the team post lockout.  JJ had one of the brightest minds in hockey(Harry) for decades, yet wouldn't allow him to manage like his counterparts in other strong hockey markets.  Amazingly, (and probably JJ shouldn't get the credit, but it's incredible it worked out that way) Sinden was always labeled the skin flint.  Why in the world would any GM, in any era, happily go along with the philosophy of almost never paying market value for elite players.  It's GM suicide, yet Harry always took the bullets, and loyally deflected things from the boss.
    Remember too, PC wasn't anywhere close to ownerships choice to run the show.  It just happenned that very few wanted the job....and he came really cheap.
    In my books, PC has grown into a very savy NHL GM.  I personally, have really come to respect this guy, but to consider the hire, an astute hockey decision by JJ and company.....come on.
    JJ's a business man...not a hockey man.  He expects a good return on his investment.  Profit trumps winning....every time.
    I don't have a huge problem with that, because I understand that 99% of the players feel the same way.  Always have...always will.  Most business owners like to keep a little of the profit for themselves don't they?  Isn't "their" success, based on how much goes to the bottom line?

If more people could comprehend that, they'd quit railing about ownership.  It is what it is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

JJ could give a member of BigVig's family a kidney and he'd still boo him. ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

We have come a long way from the Grocery owners. huh boys. Most of you too young to understand that reference.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

The article is much to do about nothing ! A day late and a dollar short.

This forum has had postings here covering just about all news items, teams ups and downs, and stuff not hockey related, but what you can say is there hasn't being any Jacobs bashing from anyone here and at the very least, posters (most of them anyway), are Bruin fans.

Every fan has the right to dress down their team, from the owner on down. But bashing Jacobs here has being old news. And if these hard core Bruin fans in this forum are not bashing Jabcobs, you can bet it's not an issue with other Bruin fans out there. Time to move along and write about something that is relevant to today, like, what's wrong with the PP !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Haggerty on Jacobs : It wasn't offensive at all.  To consider it such...one has to be digging pretty deep. I've got no problem with JJ any more, but I'm not giving him a free pass either. The cap was his baby, so he had to spend to it.  The cap has been the greatest money maker imaginable, for strong hockey markets, and only a fool wouldn't have known that going in. JJ threw MOC under a bus, when his own meddling screwed the team post lockout.  JJ had one of the brightest minds in hockey(Harry) for decades, yet wouldn't allow him to manage like his counterparts in other strong hockey markets.  Amazingly, (and probably JJ shouldn't get the credit, but it's incredible it worked out that way) Sinden was always labeled the skin flint.  Why in the world would any GM, in any era, happily go along with the philosophy of almost never paying market value for elite players.  It's GM suicide, yet Harry always took the bullets, and loyally deflected things from the boss. Remember too, PC wasn't anywhere close to ownerships choice to run the show.  It just happenned that very few wanted the job....and he came really cheap. In my books, PC has grown into a very savy NHL GM.  I personally, have really come to respect this guy, but to consider the hire, an astute hockey decision by JJ and company.....come on. JJ's a business man...not a hockey man.  He expects a good return on his investment.  Profit trumps winning....every time. I don't have a huge problem with that, because I understand that 99% of the players feel the same way.  Always have...always will.  Most business owners like to keep a little of the profit for themselves don't they?  Isn't "their" success, based on how much goes to the bottom line?   If more people could comprehend that, they'd quit railing about ownership.  It is what it is.
    Posted by stevegm

Steve, you may feel it was a fluke but the fact remains that PC was a young, Ivy-league educated GM that had already shared in some minimal success in Ottawa befeore coming over. For whatever reason, the hiring has been a huge success. Like my Dad always said, I'd rather be lucky than good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Jacobs' defense, he sacked O'Connell and brought in new blood with PC. He then allowed PC to buy out some bad contracts and correct his first mistake of hiring Lewis. Both of these things are examples of cash he didn't have to spend but did. He's allowed PC and his staff to aggressively pursue some of the top free agents that have been available during his regime(Chara,Savard) and he's given free reign to spend to the cap. All of these things cost money that didn't have to be spent. No one can argue the Jacobs family has always been good for the Bruins but you can certainly make a case for them in the last 7 years.  
    Posted by dezaruchi

Couldn't agree with you more Dez !  I'm no big fan of Jacobs but you have to give credit where credit is due.  He made mistakes and has made up for them by hiring the right people .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Haggerty on Jacobs : Couldn't agree with you more Dez !  I'm no big fan of Jacobs but you have to give credit where credit is due.  He made mistakes and has made up for them by hiring the right people .
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

BOA, if nothing else, it's now OK to be proud to be a Bruins fan. Jacobs my not be the main reason but some credit should be given for the turnarond made in the organization. From losers to champs in 6 years.......respectable. What's even better is the fact the future didn't have to be mortgaged in order to win.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Haggerty on Jacobs : It wasn't offensive at all.  To consider it such...one has to be digging pretty deep. I've got no problem with JJ any more, but I'm not giving him a free pass either. The cap was his baby, so he had to spend to it.  The cap has been the greatest money maker imaginable, for strong hockey markets, and only a fool wouldn't have known that going in. JJ threw MOC under a bus, when his own meddling screwed the team post lockout.  JJ had one of the brightest minds in hockey(Harry) for decades, yet wouldn't allow him to manage like his counterparts in other strong hockey markets.  Amazingly, (and probably JJ shouldn't get the credit, but it's incredible it worked out that way) Sinden was always labeled the skin flint.  Why in the world would any GM, in any era, happily go along with the philosophy of almost never paying market value for elite players.  It's GM suicide, yet Harry always took the bullets, and loyally deflected things from the boss. Remember too, PC wasn't anywhere close to ownerships choice to run the show.  It just happenned that very few wanted the job....and he came really cheap. In my books, PC has grown into a very savy NHL GM.  I personally, have really come to respect this guy, but to consider the hire, an astute hockey decision by JJ and company.....come on. JJ's a business man...not a hockey man.  He expects a good return on his investment.  Profit trumps winning....every time. I don't have a huge problem with that, because I understand that 99% of the players feel the same way.  Always have...always will.  Most business owners like to keep a little of the profit for themselves don't they?  Isn't "their" success, based on how much goes to the bottom line?   If more people could comprehend that, they'd quit railing about ownership.  It is what it is.
    Posted by stevegm

Posted by Mike O'Connell's cousin

Really?  This again? Do you pull this out once a year to see if it is any better received? 
    Sinden was nobody's puppet, MOC was an idiot (other teams lined up to snag this awesome GM because he was unjustly let go in Boston), Chiarelli was second choice, only because #1 choice Shero went to Pittsburgh (can't say I blame  him for making that choice).  PC signed with Boston the day after Shero signed with Pittsburgh.  How deep in the candidate choices did they have to go for that one? 
    Crazy talk.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

I'm just surprised that he even spoke on opening night....just goes to show how big his ego is....why not sit back and just enjoy the evening.

• Sections
    Shortcuts