Hail Bettman?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Hail Bettman?!

I thought I would never like this guy as he has about as much charisma as Bill Belichek has animation.    He is also a guy that seems to lack "consensus building", I think two words that were left out of his job description as commisioner.  There has to be a guy out there with Bettman's intelligence who can also bridge the gap between fans and owners, fans and players, and owners and players.  The gap has never been wider on all 3 fronts in my opinion.

Now for why Bettman should be hailed.  NHL players have always been amongst the top of the other major sports with accessibility, likeability, and relating to the fans.  This latest fiasco has soured this fan on all 3 accounts.  The NHL has a responsiblity to educate these players on financial algebra regarding finance, mortgages, retirement plans, running a business, etc...much like the NCAA is beginning to do with all of their student-athletes.  It is clear as these "CBA" issues surface, that they are disconnected and perhaps just ignorant as to how a business should run and how they should protect their futures with the millions they already get.  So Bettman-- in his effort to get more than a third of the teams out of the red and more controlled spending in a past business model that will ultimated fail if continued--- is dealing with these spoiled (narrow minded) players who cannot sock away 5-10% of the millions they make into a retirement plan to set themselves up later.  Instead, they are arguing about pensions.   He is dealing with players that care more about contracts like Kovalchuk et al. versus the health and well being of the Coyotes, et al (and NHL as a whole).  Regardless if this season is lost or not, I give Bettman credit for trying to fix a system that was not going to work while dealing with the selfishness (ignorance) of these players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Hail Bettman?!

Good observation. Bettman represents the owners, and presents their requirements for spending THEIR dollars. Some Agents, and now Fehr, initiate an adversarial position between players, and those who have the dollars to pay them for playing a "kids" game. All of these athletes are making a living as a performer whether Hockey, Basebal, Football,etc.  The Owners have the cash, and tell Bettman how they want their cash to be spent. Ranting and criticizing has no place in a negotiation. Today's athletes are overcompensated, and those {owners] who provide the cash have, or should have , a controlling interest in how the cash is spent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

One of the worst things to come out of these negotiations that wasn't around in the last lockout, is twitter. Now we have to listen to how intelligent some of these players really are and its obvious they spent all of their time playing hockey and not going to school. I was in the players corner for the most part when all this crap started, but after watching and hearing them spout their views on the world of hockey and what they deserve for the last 4 months i've just about had enough of them. I'm a hockey fan though, and when the best hockey league in the world starts up again i will be watching my beloved Bruins. As far as my opinion of the owners, it hasn't changed, they are businessmen, nothing more, nothing less, the bottom line is all they care about. My opinion of the  players on the other hand has changed for the worse, and it won't be the same again. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Bettman sucks and always will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of the worst things to come out of these negotiations that wasn't around in the last lockout, is twitter. Now we have to listen to how intelligent some of these players really are and its obvious they spent all of their time playing hockey and not going to school. I was in the players corner for the most part when all this crap started, but after watching and hearing them spout their views on the world of hockey and what they deserve for the last 4 months i've just about had enough of them. I'm a hockey fan though, and when the best hockey league in the world starts up again i will be watching my beloved Bruins. As far as my opinion of the owners, it hasn't changed, they are businessmen, nothing more, nothing less, the bottom line is all they care about. My opinion of the  players on the other hand has changed for the worse, and it won't be the same again. 

[/QUOTE]

well said !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There are figures on both sides of this that have gone up and down in my opinion since the start of this mess - Bettman's among those of whom my opinion has improved, along with Chipman, Tannenbaum, Burkle. I'm less enamoured with Jacobs and Edwards. On the players side Hamrlik is among the few of whom my opinion has improved. Admittedly, I was already starting to warm more to Bettman after he righted the wrong and brought back the Jets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Hail Bettman is a little strong, but get the point.

I knew the owners were motivated by dollars and profits, didn't need a lockout and lengthy CBA negotiation to validate that for me.  Also thought NHL players were different than the divas in the NBA & MLB.  Nope, I was totally wrong on that.

Summary

Bettman and the Owners have met my expectations, while players have failed to live up to their previous reputation.  When guys like Shawn Thornton can make better than $3.2M over the past 5 years, save me the cry-baby hardship story.  NHL player legacy is now no different than any other spoiled over-paid Diva athletes in the other sports.  I hope Bettman and the Owners pull the plug on the season if nothing more than to validate the fight the players and Fehr have wanted.  Actions have consequences.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bettman should have made a better fool proof cba last time. That way his greedy bosses wouldn't have found loop holes.  I hate both sides. 

Sections
Shortcuts