Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim

In Response to Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim : he shouldnt have to justify anything.  he was playing hockey.  it was a hockey play.  lets call a spade a spade by the way.  he didnt use a weapon like Dino back in the day.  he didnt punch like Bertuzzi.  he didnt run him from behind.  he made a hockey play.  he obviously meant to make a hockey play.  thats when the unfortunate happened.  and lets not play this like he could do it again with the same result.  I have seen many players hit the same spot without the same result.  it was an unfortunate accident.  if he jumped up and skated away we wouldnt even be talking about this.  hockey play.  end of story.  Sure Bettman has dropped the ball on many occasions.  But he is changing the rules slowly.  all the grey area is hard to split down the middle.  I mean Scott Stevens made a living out of hitting people.  In todays rules he would be playing.  Hockey has turned into a media bleeding heart circus.  the players obviously love the game and realize risk is involved.  The point most on here are making is that Montreal has gone over the edge on this but fail to realize their own players have done worse.  I mean 911 is for emergency situations.  How in the heck was this an emergency? and then airlines threatening the league? Take a hike Air Canada and stop using this to sell tickets.  Did they threaten this after the Bertuzzi incident? Or after Max Lapierre's incident or McSorely?  Who are they?  And again, I love how Bettman put them in their place.  This is all laughable.  It truly is.  You make good points but this is a complete joke.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Here! Here!
    or
    Laf hear here!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Body check at low speed on a player with the puck versus head push at high speed on a player without the puck. You are grasping at straws my friend. But DENIAL seems to be very much in fashiong today so you are not alone. Nice try though.
    Posted by Lafleur1979[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?

Chara barely bumped Packratty.  The Packratty character tried to quickly sneak by Chara after the body contact and he lost that gamble.

Gill checked Sim right into the turnbuckle.

It's absolutely no different other than Sim realizing where he was and not trying to sneak by Gill.

You fruity little Ole fans need to learn hockey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

LaFleur - I know that you are trolling and that I should not demean myself by responding,  however -----!

If you are going to perpetrate the myth that Chara was is whatever you believe  because he knew the stanchion was there and therefore willingly smacked the Pac man up side the head, then how stupid was the Pac Man for willingly going into that same area?

I think you have to agree that the PacMan is an agitator of a high order because you believe that Chara gunning for him.  Well guess what? What goes around comes around and unfortunately PacMan got it in spades. If you believe PacMan comments that he does not "believe" that the hit was an accident - why does he not explain why Chara would be "gunning" for him.  It appears he thinks that he can do as he wishes and not have to suffer any consequences of his actions. That would smack of a degree of immaturity or being from the shallow end of the gene pool. If you are going to criticize Chara, then be equally critical of PacMan and yourself for supporting what you now have to agree is a less than "smart" individual. Accept it. IT WAS AN UNFORTUNATE HOCKEY PLAY.  

I would like to wish the PacMan a speedy recovery and an eventual return to hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Body check at low speed on a player with the puck versus head push at high speed on a player without the puck. You are grasping at straws my friend. But DENIAL seems to be very much in fashiong today so you are not alone. Nice try though.
    Posted by Lafleur1979[/QUOTE]

Most of what I read on this issue makes me sick.  Can we just get past the hysteria and be logical for a moment?  I've read hundreds of comments, from both camps and only a handful make any attempt at reasonable dialogue.  At least 95% are the ramblings of illogical, blind, homers.  
    This isn't about national pride, or culture.  It's not a world changing event.  It's a hockey play, and their is ample video to provide the foundation for a sensible opinion.  Unfortunately, every critic of the game, is using this instance to champion their version of what's wrong with the game.
    You can't do that !  You have to look at this one singular issue, and deal with it.
    The minister of sport(or whatever he is), is yelling for suspensions every time a player is injured...regardless of how it happenned.  That's not at issue here..it's irresponsible grandstanding, and I'm sure the Players Association would be the first to disagree with that option.  Now we've got the justice system in there tooling around.  Think the NHL can't run their business?  I can't see involving a group of people whose livlihood is the perpetuation of endless debate...many having no idea whatsoever anything about the game of hockey, doing much better.
    We also have Pacioretty..."seriously" concussed...feeling good enough to get on the  horn to release his story 24 hours later.  Don't think I've ever saw that before.

All titalating stories.  Unfortunately, they bring nothing to the actual issue in question, they merely ramp up the hysteria.

Guess I'm of the minority here, but I've got no time for conspiracy theorists, and drama queens.

I've watched the play several times.  I understand people can see things differently, and people have different opinions...but honestly...in this case, it looks pretty straight forward to me.

What seems to dictate the view here seems to hinge on 2 factors.  1.  It's looked at objectively, with no pre determined opinion.  Or 2.  It's looked at from the prospective of an unobjective hockey fan.  Someone who blindly backs his team on everything, see's the competition as evil, and is only looking for something that will validate his pre-existing lunacy. 

My opinion...is that it was a very benign play.  Same as the Hunwick hit on Savard that put him out for the rest of the year.  I saw a defenseman "rub' out a player(not paste him) on a potential breakaway play.  I've seen the same play countless times before, and in many cases, no penalty is called.(see Gill-Sim on the habs website)  I find it absolutely incredulous that some conclude that a defenseman..in another teams rink...in a split second play...when faced with a potential breakaway....processes the required strategy to react....plus, without ever looking toward the boards, or appearing to focus on who the player was...instinctively knowing exactly where the stanchion was located(when he plays less than 4% of his games in said rink)...then proceeded to willfully drive the opponents head into the target.  Hollywood would be hard pressed to trump that.
    You may argue "intent" has no bearing, but in judgement calls regarding sport, intent is important in certain situations.  If it never is...your lawyer friends are gonna have a field day moving forward.  
    In the last year or so, head injuries are 'front and center", but this instance has no paralell to what the league is attempting to clamp down on.  Dirty hits, cheap shots, targetting the head.  There will always be the potential for head injuries, and it's not sensible to assume that every case involves suspensions.
    In order to call for a suspension in this case, one must sell the above..believe that the player knowingly, willfully, calculatingly drove an unsuspecting opponents head into the stanchion.  If anyone looks at the video..in it's totality...at speed...in sequence...objectively...the argument flies out the window.
    You may still argue that "intent" is irrelevant.  Two things.  1.  In this case, the injury isn't caused by game forces(it was the stanchion).  It wasn't an overly aggressive take out..it was very moderate.(and yes, the Hal Gill video on the Canadians website is a somewhat reasonable comparison)  100 times out of 100, that play is a non issue anywhere else in the rink.  So then what.  Create a rule regarding play near stanchions.  Is that a good idea?  Of course not.
    #2.  If you remove intent, every injury gets a suspension.  You can modify that by saying any injury resulting from a called penalty will be suspendable, but you're still opening another pandora's box.  The ref's will balk.  They sure wouldn't want that responsibility of ultimately controlling suspensions.(did you notice when Gill hit Sim, the puck was long gone, however no interference penalty was called, so if Sim was injured, there would be no suspension because no penalty was called)  Is the length of the suspension based on the severity of the injury?  Does anyone really want to see the perpretrator of a tripping call get suspended because the victim fell awkwardly and suffered a high ankle sprain and is out for 3 months.  How do you think the Quebec justice system would deal with that?  Maybe Air Canada would have some words of wisdom.

I know it's incredibly boring...but the obvious issue here is the turnbuckle.  That's where the logical focus should be aimed...and it will be.  The hockey industry(Players, Managers, League, Owners) will not attempt to childishly villify Chara.  They'll do something about those archaic stanchions.

And that's the way it should be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]Lafleur, I am likely one of the minority that calls things on this baord as I see them.  

That's not obnoxious at all, is it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim : That's not obnoxious at all, is it?
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

How so.  You think I am in the majority when calling out our players or when something is a bit on the edge.  

I didnt realize everyone is so open minded in here.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim : How so.  You think I am in the majority when calling out our players or when something is a bit on the edge.   I didnt realize everyone is so open minded in here.   

Not saying there aren't a lot of people like that.  But when you say it like that, it doesn't come across well.  

It's not really for you to say how open minded you are.  It kind of needs to be said by others for it to hold any water 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim : Not saying there aren't a lot of people like that.  But when you say it like that, it doesn't come across well.   It's not really for you to say how open minded you are.  It kind of needs to be said by others for it to hold any water 

How so again.  Its pretty obvious that most boards have complete homers, trolls and hockey fans.  I would class my self as a hockey fan that loves the Bruins.   As a hockey fan I tend to view things a lot different than a homer or troll.  I didn't once say my opinion is always right.  But, I will call out our players or cross the line with homers. 
    Lots of great people on here that I talk with in all of the three above categories.  I just don't agree with everyone. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I just reread my original and agree that it could have been phrased better

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]I just reread my original and agree that it could have been phrased better

It's too late.  Montreal PD are already on their way to your house

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim : It's too late.  Montreal PD are already on their way to your house

Funny thing is I am a cop with the RCMP. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hal Gill hit on Jon Sim : Funny thing is I am a cop with the RCMP. 

Now that is ironic and funny, no offense!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

my chin and nose arent that big...my smile is the same though

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Shupe, the Montreal PD are exclusive to Quebec, so they are inherently better and far more righteous

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Shupe, the Montreal PD are exclusive to Quebec, so they are inherently better and far more righteous

I will give the ever popular. "No Comment". 

Cheers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I wonder - how is Max Pac anyway?

Exactly how bad is the break?  I've heard it can be as few as 4 weeks to heal a broken vertebrae.

Is his season over?  Could he make it back for the playoffs?

Is his career over?  Was it a career ending injury?

All this yak yak yak about Chara's intentions, and you can't prove intentions unless you can read minds.

And the real issue is Max's health.

But nobody is interested in that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Guy, what do you think of that Gill hit?  I'm betting you don't think it's a big deal and is different from chara for a variety of reasons, but the only real difference is the color of the sweater.

By the way, who cares what wyshynsky says, what did he say about this gill hit or lappierre or max p's hit a few weeks back? 

You guys are the biggest hyporcits.  Remember the old saying: What's good for the goose...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

I don't think murders are handled this quickly by police in Montreal.  Absolutely incredible. 

Sections
Shortcuts