Hamill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Hamill

http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1008854

Hamill takes his assignment like a man then helps the P-Bruins win today. This was a big week for Zack regardless if he makes it in the NHL as a regular or not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Hamill:
    [QUOTE]http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1008854 Hamill takes his assignment like a man then helps the P-Bruins win today. This was a big week for Zack regardless if he makes it in the NHL as a regular or not.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for update San. I was surprised to see Zach could play up to 10 games without needing to clear waivers. Sounds like he might play in Boston for awhile.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

dez, i think the other condition of those ten games is that the situation that resulted in his emergency recall had to continue.  I don't think that's the case now that the Bruins have a 13th forward as a healthy scratch.  Back he goes.

It bodes well for Hamill that he played well, that he bumped Pouliot to the box, and that the team seems to think, now, that he's the first forward up.  If he's recalled on a non-emergency basis later in the year, and he plays the way he did in these two games, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins do with him what they've done with a 7th D in the past - keep him with the team and spot him into games for the rest of the year.  I would hardly say that Hamill has "proven all he can" in the AHL, but if the main barrier for him is confidence, playing on the NHL roster for a few months may do more to bring out the vestiges of that 8th overall pick than going back down and being asked to prove he has talent.

And they may feel that his offseason work and faster start have earned him that deluxe cup of coffee.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One last thought - it is fun to see the complete reversal of tone about this kid.  I've had my shots at him, so I can't say I've been in his corner.  I enjoyed posting the updates when he'd go on one of his hotter streaks and look like just maybe, possibly....  Now, though, after I think everyone had given up on the guy, he's looking like he has some fight left in him.  Even the penalty he took that led to the second Sabres goal was roughing, not something lazy like a trip or hook.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Good thoughts and a nice post as always, BB.

I can't say I had much hope for this kid either. He looked like another kid with skill that doesn't quite translate in the NHL. But he is starting to look more like a late bloomer/slow learner I'll get there someday if the team doesn't run out of patience with me first kinda player. Plus being in an organization full of centers the move to wing and his ability to adapt may be what gets him that "deluxe cup of coffee".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

His fortunes certainly look better than at the start of the year. It's good that he doesn't need to clear re-entry waivers so he can be called back, just not sent back down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]His fortunes certainly look better than at the start of the year. It's good that he doesn't need to clear re-entry waivers so he can be called back, just not sent back down.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by this ?  Does he have a two-way contract ?
    if called back up why can't he be sent down ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hamill is now subject to waivers, I believe, so he can no longer be brought up or sent down without being exposed for 24 hours.  The exception is an emergency recall - which is what happened over the last two games.  If they bring him back just 'cause they want him on the roster, he will have to clear.  He had to clear to go to Providence in Sept/Oct.  In my post above, I was suggesting they wouldn't be able to get him back to the AHL on waivers if he keeps playing the way he has.

Two-way contract has nothing to do with waivers or being sent down/called up.  All a two-way contract means is that you have negotiated two different salaries for the two different leagues.  If you're playing for the NHL team, you get paid X amount and you're playing for the AHL team, you get Y amount.  All entry level contracts are two way deals.  Typically, the contract for a top rookie will say he gets $900K in the NHL and $62,500 in the AHL (which is AHL max salary).

You can call up or send down any player (except Jr. eligibles) regardless of a contract with two separate salaries (see Redden, Wade).  Waiver rights kick in due to service time.  I can't remember all of the provisions, but basically if you've played X number of NHL games or been on a professional contract for more than X years, you must clear waivers before a team can reassign your contract.  The process protects players, especially guys on two way deals, against being buried in a system when they could excel elsewhere.  So if Columbus wanted to grab Hamill to play between Nash and Carter, and the Bruins want to send him back to Providence where they can pay him about 5% of his NHL salary?  Waiver claim gives him a way out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Hamill should know this: Bruins fans want all of their prospects to do well- that is natural.  Nuff said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/11/11/zach_hamill_of_bruins_rounding_into_form_on_wing/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez, i think the other condition of those ten games is that the situation that resulted in his emergency recall had to continue.  I don't think that's the case now that the Bruins have a 13th forward as a healthy scratch.  Back he goes. It bodes well for Hamill that he played well, that he bumped Pouliot to the box, and that the team seems to think, now, that he's the first forward up.  If he's recalled on a non-emergency basis later in the year, and he plays the way he did in these two games, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins do with him what they've done with a 7th D in the past - keep him with the team and spot him into games for the rest of the year.  I would hardly say that Hamill has "proven all he can" in the AHL, but if the main barrier for him is confidence, playing on the NHL roster for a few months may do more to bring out the vestiges of that 8th overall pick than going back down and being asked to prove he has talent. And they may feel that his offseason work and faster start have earned him that deluxe cup of coffee.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Thanks BB. I wasn't sure exactly how it worked. I too am pleased to see Zach make some progress. Honestly, it's not even just that he's Bruins property. I feel bad for any highly rated kid that's unable to make the bigs. Getting so close and not making it must be heart breaking.

Sections
Shortcuts