Hamill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Hamill

In Response to Re: Hamill:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hamill : What does that even mean?  Can you give examples from tonight's game?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Happened mostly in the 1st period.  Get's pushed off the puck easily. Don't ask for me to go find a clip on YouTube but there was a play with Peckham along the boards , he tried squeezing by him and it was too easy to knock him off the puck. 
    Another example of not being strong (soft on) a puck is the shooting on goal.  With no one in front of the net I find it useless to throw a weak shot on net. Weak shot on net to me is interpreted not strong (or soft) with the puck.
    Don't go freaking out guys, in general he played well ,  he's just small and needs to adjust to style of game. 

p.s. did I mention how good he looked on the leaping screen ? I guess only a light weight can do that ; )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Many of you think he deserves to play next game, which I think is great.  In my mind though I can't bring him any higher then 13th forward.  At this point I believe Caron has earned the 12th spot.  I can understand why some would swap him in over Thornton, I am not of that mindset, I bought into our 4th lines value along time ago.  I do see that it wouldn't take much for him to pass Pouliot, but I would still keep Benoit around as a 14th forward, we have the cap space and we knew from the start this kid was a reclamation project.  So I have,

KHL
    MBS
    Caron Kelly Peveley
    Paille Kelly Thornton

Hamill
    Pouliot

In my scenario Hamill is an injury away from cracking the lineup, a few bad practices away from being the 14th man again.  Does anyone disagree, other then the people who will make the skating clown argument?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Hamill looked good last night.  However, it doesn't appear that he has a good shot.  I know he had a wrist injury a couple of years ago and I wonder if he had a shot before that?  He was also knocked off the puck by the blue line when he was sent in on that partial break away. LOL  All in all he played OK and shows above average vision and passing abilities, skating is average, shot is below average.  Showed the willingness to go to the dirty areas when he was cross checked in the face and into the goal.  That is the kind of effort he will need to bring on every shift in order to earn a spot on this team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@Bogie, I just think that Julien is to loyal to his veterans to make that change and it still looks like Chiarelli is going to keep giving Pouliot every chance. I don't see any lineup changes right now. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Hamill looked good last night.  However, it doesn't appear that he has a good shot.  I know he had a wrist injury a couple of years ago and I wonder if he had a shot before that?  He was also knocked off the puck by the blue linewhen he was sent in on that partial break away. LOL  All in all he played OK and shows above average vision and passing abilities, skating is average, shot is below average.  Showed the willingness to go to the dirty areas when he was cross checked in the face and into the goal.  That is the kind of effort he will need to bring on every shift in order to earn a spot on this team.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Mr. Shot here's another example I interpret " not being strong on the puck "

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]@Bogie, I just think that Julien is to loyal to his veterans to make that change and it still looks like Chiarelli is going to keep giving Pouliot every chance. I don't see any lineup changes right now. 
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

you got it ! They're rolling with wins and the effort is there. Unless that changes they won;t make any moves or .... that's when it's least expected and maybe dealing with an advantage, leverage...

p.s up early ? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilsondogg. Show wilsondogg's posts

I don't think there's ever been any question as to Hamill's talent or skill-level.  The issue has been consistency of effort, a dedicated, day-to-day, high-end compete level.  If he can't bring this in the AHL he can't be expected to bring it in NHL.  I've been a big fan of his ever since he was drafted and have been hoping to see him break the ceiling and finally get promoted.  Hope it happens soon, with the Bruins or with someone else. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

He crashed the net well on the play where he ended up in the net. We need more of that from the team, though I can't complain about their goals scored lately! Things are starting to mesh but they have to keep it going as there are still 4 points between them and a playoff spot. Saturday's game is huge!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I thought he looked good. He has nice chemistry w/ Caron & Kelly. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Some of the recent observations ( bust ) coming out of Providence were obviously exaggerated. This kid played like a decent 3rd line NHLer last night . He will most likely get a playing opportunity with someone else if he doesn't get one from the Bruins down the road. 

Sometimes it's better to wait to watch a player for yourself then rely on someone elses bird's eye view opinion. For me, he was impressive last night !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Not the first time I've read reports that he doesn't have the strongest shot. Same has been reported on Paille and Campbell.

Interestingly enough, Pouliot and Thornton can snipe when they are aggressive enough to do so.

It's all about what you do with your chances, and Hamill did a great job with the opportunity.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Sandog, you are probably right. This year I've noticed much more positive involvement by Claude, which could go back as far as last year's mid season discussion with Cam. However, IMO, Claude's loyalty is sometimes not very objective. Yes, the crowd loves Thorny, but when faced with on ice comparisons it's tough to accept. Pouliot did not help his own cause very much last night, so Chiarelli and Claude may well decide on a swap since Hamill is showing how much his vision and smarts can contribute.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Some of the recent observations ( bust ) coming out of Providence were obviously exaggerated. This kid played like a decent 3rd line NHLer last night . He will most likely get a playing opportunity with someone else if he doesn't get one from the Bruins down the road.  Sometimes it's better to wait to watch a player for yourself then rely on someone elses bird's eye view opinion. For me, he was impressive last night !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    So far Hamill has been given a 5 game look averaging 10-1/2 minutes per game. He's managed to record 3 assists and a +4 rating. I'd say that given his limited opportunities, he's performed very well. It'd actually be hard to expect much better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hamill : So far Hamill has been given a 5 game look averaging 10-1/2 minutes per game. He's managed to record 3 assists and a +4 rating. I'd say that given his limited opportunities, he's performed very well. It'd actually be hard to expect much better.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

And besides that nice pass he gave to Caron I really liked the way he went hard to the net when he got highsticked . Crashing the net will open any GM's eyes. He has to do this more often. Any player does !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hamill : And besides that nice pass he gave to Caron I really liked the way he went hard to the net when he got highsticked . Crashing the net will open any GM's eyes. He has to do this more often. Any player does !
    It's those little things that add up to win hockey games. I like the way Caron works too. Hard in pursuit of the puck, finishes checks, and very good on the PK.
    BTW, did you think DK was struggling a bit on the PK last night or was it just me? I thought he had a few moments where he was too concerned with trying to create offense from the PK instead just making sure the puck cleared the zone. Zee was also uncharacteristically weak on a few clearing attempts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hamill : It's those little things that add up to win hockey games. I like the way Caron too. Hard in pursuit of the puck, finishes checks, and very good on the PK.

I was disappointed with Caron's play earlier in the season. I have really noticed his improved play recently. He is working harder and looks more involved in the play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

If you are CJ and had to choose between playing Caron or Hamill on the 3rd line with Peverley and Kelly, who you going with?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]If you are CJ and had to choose between playing Caron or Hamill on the 3rd line with Peverley and Kelly, who you going with?
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    Mean, that's a great question. I'll dodge the question by saying it would depend on the opposition and what type of game I'd be expecting. If I thought it would be a rough one then Caron's size would win out but if you expected a high scoring affair, then Hamill might get the nod. I'm just glad that Hamill is working his way into the argument. He's no longer a gimme to clear waivers if he gets sent down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It really depends on who is playing well. Hamill looked better than anything we have seen so far.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Some of the recent observations ( bust ) coming out of Providence were obviously exaggerated. This kid played like a decent 3rd line NHLer last night . He will most likely get a playing opportunity with someone else if he doesn't get one from the Bruins down the road.  Sometimes it's better to wait to watch a player for yourself then rely on someone elses bird's eye view opinion. For me, he was impressive last night !

That's just it. He hasn't played enough consistently at the NHL level to show us if he can continue his play from last night or prove me wrong on my critic in his game. 
    The only problem here to make him play more consistent is someone has to be sent down. Caron starting to play better and as it stands I'de rather have Caron up than Hamill and/or Pouliot that cannot be sent down (must pass waivers) . PC not ready yet with the possibilty to lose Pouliot on waivers or losing him on re-entry waivers and having to pay half his salary.
    I could see a team like Colunbus picking Pouliot up at only 500k .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Hamill did a creditable job of filling in yesterday. I'll give him that.

However, what I found yesterday is that if he has time he can do something. But when the game speeds up he gets lost: rushes his passes, and gets into traffic areas where he can't do anything.

If you recall the quick pass to spring him in the second period, it happened so fast that he lost an edge, almost fell, recovered but the opportunity disappeared because of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I thought he looked good. He has nice chemistry w/ Caron & Kelly
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing this too much.  Yes he made a nice pass to Caron on the goal but it could have been Lucic or Horton there and they would have scored.
    I didn't see anything to make me think there was chemistry between the 3 but I did see willingness to work hard from all 3.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Hamill did a creditable job of filling in yesterday. I'll give him that. However, what I found yesterday is that if he has time he can do something. But when the game speeds up he gets lost: rushes his passes, and gets into traffic areas where he can't do anything. If you recall the quick pass to spring him in the second period, it happened so fast that he lost an edge, almost fell, recovered but the opportunity disappeared because of it.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Ya Wheat but If Hamill gets in more games he could get accustomed to a faster paced game ( NHL vs. AHL ). Or possibly not ! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hamill : Mean, that's a great question. I'll dodge the question by saying it would depend on the opposition and what type of game I'd be expecting. If I thought it would be a rough one then Caron's size would win out but if you expected a high scoring affair, then Hamill might get the nod. I'm just glad that Hamill is working his way into the argument. He's no longer a gimme to clear waivers if he gets sent down.

I think that's why PC called him up on Emergency Basis.  Waivers play into the equation as Caron does not have to clear and everyone else does.  IMHO, if Hamill can play the way he did last night on a consistent basis, he should play in front of Caron, who still hasn't shown me enough.  I am on record as saying that Hamill is a bust, considering where he was picked, but the other options thus far on the 3rd line wing have not impressed me enough to not give the kid at least a 20 game shot and see what happens.  Caron can go back to Providence and get lots of minutes and work on fine tuning his game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hamill : I think that's why PC called him up on Emergency Basis.  Waivers play into the equation as Caron does not have to clear and everyone else does.  IMHO, if Hamill can play the way he did last night on a consistent basis, he should play in front of Caron, who still hasn't shown me enough.  I am on record as saying that Hamill is a bust, considering where he was picked, but the other options thus far on the 3rd line wing have not impressed me enough to not give the kid at least a 20 game shot and see what happens.  Caron can go back to Providence and get lots of minutes and work on fine tuning his game. 
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    I have no problems with Hamill being give a legitimate chance to contribute. He also made a nice play back-checking last night. I don't think he's the defensive liability that some have portrayed him to be.

Sections
Shortcuts