Hamilton Rocks McDavid !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Hamilton Rocks McDavid !

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do the parents have to sign a waiver for a kid of 15 or 16 to play in Canadian Junior hockey leagues ?

How was Hamilton supposed to know the age of an opponent ? Why would Hamilton care ?

Chiarelli "Doug why did you ease up on the check during the game the other night ?"

Hamilton "Well...I hear this kid is 18 years old in his 1st year of the NHL so I didn't want to hurt him. Once in Junior I caught allot of heat for hitting a 15 year old that probably shouldn't have been playing in the first place. Just trying to be carful".

Chiarelli "The player you lightened up on spun of your weak attempt and almost scored. Finish your checks son or maybe you should try badminton".

Weak attempt at trying to throw dirt on Hamilton.

[/QUOTE]

^^^^^ Post of the Thread^^^^

NAS you're way off on this arguement bud! The kid is there, because he's good enough to be there. If he's good enough to be there. He's good enough to take whatever abuse any normal Major Jr hockey player takes. End of story. Hamilton did his job perfectly & I hope he continues to do it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If my opinion differs from the norm, it doesn't make me way off or wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

No wrong or right, just the mere fact Seguin was a boy at 18 and played with men larger and more intimidating.  I think Kel has it right, it is a parents decision.  Entitilement generation thinking here, he should not be hit because he is 15.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If my opinion differs from the norm, it doesn't make me way off or wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Au contraire, in some cases ( like this one ) it does.

His special exemption meant he was allowed to play in the league, not exempt from what everyone else has to put up with.

Way off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Man, you guys are cruel.

All I was suggesting is that in the kid's first game, give him a break.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

Man, you guys are cruel.

[/QUOTE]

Actually NAS. From what I've seen this kid will be able to make his own breaks. He's loaded with talent & he showed he can take an enormous hit with that. He's going to be fine. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE/]

Man, you guys are cruel.

[/QUOTE]

So you think that in someone's first NHL game they should give him a break? Maybe in every rookie's first game they should let him score a goal. Yeah! That's a great idea. All together now... "I love you, you love me..." NAS the way you formulate your opinions seem to be to the tune of how can I get as many people jacked-up as possible. You have to see the flaw in your argument that because Hamilton should have been aware that one of the best players on the opposing team was just 15 years old and was trying everything in his power to score that he should just take it easy on him. Would you want Hamilton to take it easy on littler guys at the NHL level? Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice does.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

It's a game of split second decisions. You Don't contemplate a players size and age before making that decision.

15 yo kids should not be playing against men

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't know if Dougie should have held up becuase I didn't see the play, but rocking a 15 year old kid is nothing to be proud of. It should also be a factor that it is game 1 of the Junior season - the memorial cup is not on the line. Some class and respect among athletes and human beings is a great thing. If the child was being mouthy or agressive, sure, nail him but as far as I know that wasn't the case.

And yes I would think Pronger was a jerk for going after an 18 year old Seguin.

And yes, I don't think 15 year olds should be playing in the OHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know if Dougie should have held up becuase I didn't see the play, but rocking a 15 year old kid is nothing to be proud of. It should also be a factor that it is game 1 of the Junior season - the memorial cup is not on the line. Some class and respect among athletes and human beings is a great thing. If the child was being mouthy or agressive, sure, nail him but as far as I know that wasn't the case.

[/QUOTE]

From the Hockey News....

The player eligibility debate isn’t limited to the NHL. There is a 15-year-old named Connor McDavid playing up with the Toronto Marlboros midget team. In order to play in the OHL – or any level of junior hockey – next season, he would have to be deemed an “exceptional player” by Hockey Canada.

That McDavid’s immediate future as a player at any level of junior is up to some panel of handpicked Hockey Canada experts is absurd. The kid can play. If he were automatically eligible for the OHL draft, there's a chance he'd go first overall.

And how many other 15-year-olds are being prohibited from playing junior hockey – not just major junior, but any level of junior from A down to D – because of this rule? There are a lot of 15-year-olds who are too good for major midget and not good enough yet for the CHL who should be playing Jr. A or B, but can’t because Hockey Canada says they can’t.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

To be clear, I was never debating wether or not the kid was good enough to play, he clearly is. I was asking if it was a good idea because of his age. Not his skill level or size. I'm talking about his age, because at 15, he is still growing, which makes the bones in his body a little more vulnerable. Someone in a medical field can word that alot better than I just did, but hopefully you get my point..I know he's bigger than Martin St. Louis, but St. Louis' body is done growing..Thats my point.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No player is too good for their age group. If at 15 they are exceptional, they will still be exceptional at 16 when they are old enough to play without exceptions. Especially with an 18-year old limit for NHL play, it's not like any players are speeding up their progression to the NHL. It's either they get 2 years or 3 years of Junior hockey before playing pro. The extra year did nothing for Taveres.

Speaking of Taveres, that brings up the reason this rule was brought in in the first place. To allow the "special" Taveres to play. In my opinion, The OHL brought him in as a marketing tool. For the previous two years the QMJHL had been the focus of Canadian Junior hockey because of Sidney Crosby. The OHL was determined to make Taveres the next big thing. By allowing him to play as a 15 year old it made him seem special. It allowed them to milk an extra year of him playing. That's just sad. Making a new rule to exploit a 15 year old.

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

From the Hockey News....

The player eligibility debate isn’t limited to the NHL. There is a 15-year-old named Connor McDavid playing up with the Toronto Marlboros midget team. In order to play in the OHL – or any level of junior hockey – next season, he would have to be deemed an “exceptional player” by Hockey Canada.

That McDavid’s immediate future as a player at any level of junior is up to some panel of handpicked Hockey Canada experts is absurd. The kid can play. If he were automatically eligible for the OHL draft, there's a chance he'd go first overall.

And how many other 15-year-olds are being prohibited from playing junior hockey – not just major junior, but any level of junior from A down to D – because of this rule? There are a lot of 15-year-olds who are too good for major midget and not good enough yet for the CHL who should be playing Jr. A or B, but can’t because Hockey Canada says they can’t.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

100%

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To be clear, I was never debating wether or not the kid was good enough to play, he clearly is. I was asking if it was a good idea because of his age. Not his skill level or size. I'm talking about his age, because at 15, he is still growing, which makes the bones in his body a little more vulnerable. Someone in a medical field can word that alot better than I just did, but hopefully you get my point..I know he's bigger than Martin St. Louis, but St. Louis' body is done growing..Thats my point.

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are more stories of 15 year olds doing well in the CHL than there are failures. John Tavares had 77 points for Oshawa in 2006 at 15. It hasn't stunted his development. You're probably right about some added risk with these players but that's why they're considered exceptional. Cheers!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

No player is too good for their age group. If at 15 they are exceptional, they will still be exceptional at 16 when they are old enough to play without exceptions. Especially with an 18-year old limit for NHL play, it's not like any players are speeding up their progression to the NHL. It's either they get 2 years or 3 years of Junior hockey before playing pro. The extra year did nothing for Taveres.

Sorry Oates but that's flat out wrong. Many kids become too good for their age group. Lindros played 2 games (and scored once) for Canada's national team as a 15 year old. Do you really believe he should've stayed in midget hockey? How about Bobby Orr playing for Oshawa as a 14 year old? Should he have stayed a bantam? Gretzky played junior B in Ontario as a 15 year old instead of playing midget against kids his own age. He had 60 points in 28 games. Would it have helped his development if he had 150 points in 20 games against kids his own age? You're acting like these kids are being forced to play when in reality, they all just want to play against the best competition available to them. Who are we to decide what's best for these kids? The choice belongs to them and their parents.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sorry Oates but that's flat out wrong. Many kids become too good for their age group. Lindros played 2 games (and scored once) for Canada's national team as a 15 year old. Do you really believe he should've stayed in midget hockey? How about Bobby Orr playing for Oshawa as a 14 year old? Should he have stayed a bantam? Gretzky played junior B in Ontario as a 15 year old instead of playing midget against kids his own age. He had 60 points in 28 games. Would it have helped his development if he had 150 points in 20 games against kids his own age? You're acting like these kids are being forced to play when in reality, they all just want to play against the best competition available to them. Who are we to decide what's best for these kids? The choice belongs to them and their parents.

[/QUOTE]

^^^In your face Oates^^^ Well said Dez!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Where has anybody said anything about Doug being proud of this? I think he's taken it as him doing his job as a defenseman. As with those of us who actually see it for what it is. One of the best players on the opposing team had the puck trying to create a scoring chance.  Does a move on one player & then gets rocked by another. That's called hockey! Is  it Dougie's Hamilton job to worry about whether a 15 yr old should or shouldn't be in the league? Or is it Dougie's job to eliminate anybody he can with a clean check that has the puck with a threat to score, or has the puck in his vicinity? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Wow, Lots of posts here. The lockout is definitely making little things such as this become over analyzed. It was a hit in a hockey game, nothing wrong with that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Speaking of Taveres, that brings up the reason this rule was brought in in the first place. To allow the "special" Taveres to play. In my opinion, The OHL brought him in as a marketing tool. For the previous two years the QMJHL had been the focus of Canadian Junior hockey because of Sidney Crosby. The OHL was determined to make Taveres the next big thing. By allowing him to play as a 15 year old it made him seem special. It allowed them to milk an extra year of him playing. That's just sad. Making a new rule to exploit a 15 year old.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

From the Hockey News....

The player eligibility debate isn’t limited to the NHL. There is a 15-year-old named Connor McDavid playing up with the Toronto Marlboros midget team. In order to play in the OHL – or any level of junior hockey – next season, he would have to be deemed an â€ÂÂœexceptional player” by Hockey Canada.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tavares is the one who approached the OHL to gain entrance into the league. He was an exemptional talent . It had nothing to do with Crosby , exploiting a 15 year old or any other conspiracy. Nothing more to it then that.

Jesse Ventura would be proud of you for your attempt at creating a conspiracy theory regarding Tavares.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    So you think that in someone's first NHL game they should give him a break? Maybe in every rookie's first game they should let him score a goal. Yeah! That's a great idea. All together now... "I love you, you love me..." NAS the way you formulate your opinions seem to be to the tune of how can I get as many people jacked-up as possible. You have to see the flaw in your argument that because Hamilton should have been aware that one of the best players on the opposing team was just 15 years old and was trying everything in his power to score that he should just take it easy on him. Would you want Hamilton to take it easy on littler guys at the NHL level? Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice does.

[/QUOTE]

We aren't talking about the NHL, so this entire paragraph is moo (cow's opinion).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

And I might add McDavid's parent sanctioned his participation in the OHL knowing that he would be hit by older players.  No! Pronger should hit Seguin if he puts himself in a vulnerable positon, otherwise Seguin should not be on the ice.  Thus the reason for Seguin's lack of playing time me thinks.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No, it's not flat out wrong. Saying a player is good enough for an older group does not mean they are too good for their own age group. There are examples of players who have played with older players and succeded. There are countless examples of exceptional hockey talents who were placed in advanced age groups and were not mature enough for it. We talk about rushing players to the NHL causing failure all the time - the problem is greatly magnified when you are talking about children.

My fundamental point in that post is, however, simply that players are not hurt by playing with their own age group. Gretzky and other may have continued to excel playing with older kids, but my feeling is that they would have developed just fine if they were not rushed. In your specific examples, Gretz played Junior B, not major junior, as a 15 year old, and I think Eric Lindros would have been much better off if he were allowed to grow up more in his youth and not rushed along. I don't think he was ever mentally ready for the NHL and adult life in general (his neighbours today say he still acts like a 40 year old child).

And no, I don't think the choice should belong with the child an their parents. Are we going to allow 14 year olds? Really big and talented 9 year olds? Lots of kids and parents lack good judgement. Maybe you would be OK with your 15 year old son or daughter living and working and hanging out with 20 year olds. I would not. I think the league should protect 15 year olds whose parents are too star struck by the idea of their kid being the next Crosby to show good judgement.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Great contribution!

[/QUOTE]

^^^In your face Oates^^^ Well said Dez!! 

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I, nor anyone else, said Dougie was proud. Why did you say this?

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Where has anybody said anything about Doug being proud of this? I think he's taken it as him doing his job as a defenseman. As with those of us who actually see it for what it is. One of the best players on the opposing team had the puck trying to create a scoring chance.  Does a move on one player & then gets rocked by another. That's called hockey! Is  it Dougie's Hamilton job to worry about whether a 15 yr old should or shouldn't be in the league? Or is it Dougie's job to eliminate anybody he can with a clean check that has the puck with a threat to score, or has the puck in his vicinity? 

[/QUOTE]