Hangover will end, Bruins will be fine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Hangover will end, Bruins will be fine

I think the hangover has been going on all season but will end soon. 9 games left in the regular season and then the real thing begins. Frankly, I'm not sure the Bruins have had their heart in the game at any point this year, aside from the second quarter dominance.

And that doesn't really bother me as it would with a team that wasn't defending champs. Heck, even I've been going through the motions: I tune into the games but am usually doing something else at the same time; keeping tabs, but not focusing on the regular season like in years past. Plus, this team played and won 3 game 7's  and knows it can step up when needed. For the most part this year, despite the struggles, the team has responded with enough. Enough is fine in the regular season.

Playoffs are different though. Playoff hockey is about grit, positioning, and endurance and, frankly, I'll still take the Bruins over any other team for that combo. Admittedly, Pittsburgh scares me, but there aren't many teams that can play playoff hockey like the Bruins.

The Bruins' main problems this season have been listless play and injuries. A little more passion and the Bruins are probably right up there with NYR and PIT in the standings. The listless play could be a sign of fatigue but it could just be a team that knows what it takes to win a Stanley Cup (16 playoff victories) and is playing a long-term game. Injuries are a worry for every team but it looks like we're getting healthier.

All in all, I don't really care about the team's recent struggles. They're built for playoff hockey and after last year we can say that they're clutch under pressure. With the natural intensity that playoff hockey brings and some injured bodies returning, I don't think we'll be disappointed with what we see from the Bruins this spring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Hangover will end, Bruins will be fine

In Response to Hangover will end, Bruins will be fine:
    I think the hangover has been going on all season but will end soon. 9 games left in the regular season and then the real thing begins. Frankly, I'm not sure the Bruins have had their heart in the game at any point this year, aside from the second quarter dominance. And that doesn't really bother me as it would with a team that wasn't defending champs. Heck, even I've been going through the motions: I tune into the games but am usually doing something else at the same time; keeping tabs, but not focusing on the regular season like in years past. Plus, this team played and won 3 game 7's  and knows it can step up when needed. For the most part this year, despite the struggles, the team has responded with enough. Enough is fine in the regular season. Playoffs are different though. Playoff hockey is about grit, positioning, and endurance and, frankly, I'll still take the Bruins over any other team for that combo. Admittedly, Pittsburgh scares me, but there aren't many teams that can play playoff hockey like the Bruins. The Bruins' main problems this season have been listless play and injuries. A little more passion and the Bruins are probably right up there with NYR and PIT in the standings. The listless play could be a sign of fatigue but it could just be a team that knows what it takes to win a Stanley Cup (16 playoff victories) and is playing a long-term game. Injuries are a worry for every team but it looks like we're getting healthier. All in all, I don't really care about the team's recent struggles. They're built for playoff hockey and after last year we can say that they're clutch under pressure. With the natural intensity that playoff hockey brings and some injured bodies returning, I don't think we'll be disappointed with what we see from the Bruins this spring.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Great post DC. I agree entirely. This team is built to win a 7 game series. That is all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'd say "that must have been one heck of a party," but we've all seen the tab so... yes.  Quite the hangover.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRRocker. Show BRRocker's posts

I agree with this post, this team is built for the playoffs , wear the opponent down and crush them, that's Bruins Hockey. Bring it on.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think this 'hangover' thing is a myth.

Caron (virtually), Zannon, Pouliot, Rolston, Mottau and Corvo weren't even here last year.

And it's not as if winning a cup gives you home ice for the next season or an automatic ticket to the finals to defend your cup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I would agree that the Bruins seem to be playing better... I'm not convinced they will just turn it on in the playoffs and roll the competition (teams have figured out how to play us better.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Hangover will end, Bruins will be fine:
    I think this 'hangover' thing is a myth. Caron (virtually), Zannon, Pouliot, Rolston, Mottau and Corvo weren't even here last year. And it's not as if winning a cup gives you home ice for the next season or an automatic ticket to the finals to defend your cup.
    Posted by BadHabitude

None of those guys are going to be crucial to a cup run, they're simply depth. The Krejcis, Lucics, Bergerons, Charas, Marchands, Kellys have nothing to accomplish in the regular season. Heck, only Kelly has money riding on the outcome of the regular season. No professional or financial motivation for the core is the issue with this team and what I think characterizes the Bruins' cup hangover.

That changes come playoff time, in my opinion. Home ice is key but almost certainly ours for at least the first two rounds but even if not, the core knows it can get it done on the road.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Hangover will end, Bruins will be fine : None of those guys are going to be crucial to a cup run, they're simply depth. The Krejcis, Lucics, Bergerons, Charas, Marchands, Kellys have nothing to accomplish in the regular season. Heck, only Kelly has money riding on the outcome of the regular season. No professional or financial motivation for the core is the issue with this team and what I think characterizes the Bruins' cup hangover. That changes come playoff time, in my opinion. Home ice is key but almost certainly ours for at least the first two rounds but even if not, the core knows it can get it done on the road.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

dc - Good points all but I wouldn't sell Caron, Zanon and the others short. True, they add to the depth but in that regard their importance is signiificant.  It's often the guys outside the core that help push a team over the top.  Caron's uped his game of late.  Should he see action the experience will hopefully benefit him as it did Seguin. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Hangover will end, Bruins will be fine : dc - Good points all but I wouldn't sell Caron, Zanon and the others short. True, they add to the depth but in that regard their importance is signiificant.  It's often the guys outside the core that help push a team over the top.  Caron's uped his game of late.  Should he see action the experience will hopefully benefit him as it did Seguin. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Fair point. Caron is definitely coming around and I've liked what he's been bringing to the table in the last month or so. I've been pretty disappointed by Zanon, though. I kept seeing the word 'warrior' attached to him and got the idea of an older McQuaid but that hasn't panned out. Speaking of, McQuaid has continued to be a pleasant surprise and I love what he adds to the top 6.

Up front, the only concern I have is the making up for Horton. I have no idea what the situation is there but I'm not looking for much help there, so where does the offense come from? Hopefully Caron and Peverly pick up the slack and Kelly gets hot again.

Timmy's been inconsistent since the White House incident. Not bad, but not great. Like Miller and Buffalo with the Lucic hit, that incident is kind of glaring. But that team, which I am still unimpressed by, turned it around so I'm betting so can TT.

Sections
Shortcuts