Hard elbow and shoulder pads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Hard elbow and shoulder pads

Bergeron has a "slight' concussion. It was not a crushing hit, it was only Bergeron driving thru in front of his defensive net and his head hit Greening's extended elbow. These concrete hard elbow and shoulder pads need to be modified. Don Charry has been on this case for years, but the manufacturers lobby hard, with cash, to keep things as they are. Some players might complain, but being armored up is dangerous and unnecessary. where is the Player's safety committee on this ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

Re: Hard elbow and shoulder pads

In response to bogie6's comment:

Bergeron has a "slight' concussion. It was not a crushing hit, it was only Bergeron driving thru in front of his defensive net and his head hit Greening's extended elbow. These concrete hard elbow and shoulder pads need to be modified. Don Charry has been on this case for years, but the manufacturers lobby hard, with cash, to keep things as they are. Some players might complain, but being armored up is dangerous and unnecessary. where is the Player's safety committee on this ?

It's gonna take a sreious 'career ending' injury to get them to change...the wheels of progress turn only a few RPM. Too bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

what are you talking about?  

You can't have exposed plastic on elbow pads or shoulder pads and it's been that way for years, there has to be a soft covering over them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

BH tell that to Savard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

BH tell that to Savard.

Getting a blindside elbow to the head was the problem, not the equipment.

I play - I wear the stuff.  I buy the stuff and I don't see how they can make it softer than it is now.

It *used* to be much worse, hard plastic was exposed everywhere.

Look at a boxing glove - it's really well padded, but believe it or not people still get knocked unconscious.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

note - they can't make it softer and have it still protect you

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

BH I have elbow pads with no hard plastic. Ask anyone I play with, I take the hardest bumps of anyone and they work just fine. It would hurt real bad if I tried to elbow someone.

I think that they can make them less hard and maintain protection.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

get the body armor off the players and you will also see scoring go up, players will be much less likely to jump in front of shots, more pucks to the net more goals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Agreed xdrive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

BadHab this is the rule

12.3 Elbow Pads - All elbow pads which do not have a soft protective outer covering of sponge rubber or similar material at least one-half inch (1/2'') thick shall be considered dangerous equipment.

So it brings to mind two questions for me:

1) Does the league regularly inspect the pads and enforce the rule?

2)Wouldn't increasing the outer layer to 1 inch from 1/2 an inch make them softer and maintain the protection?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Agreed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

BadHab this is the rule

12.3 Elbow Pads - All elbow pads which do not have a soft protective outer covering of sponge rubber or similar material at least one-half inch (1/2'') thick shall be considered dangerous equipment.

So it brings to mind two questions for me:

1) Does the league regularly inspect the pads and enforce the rule?

2)Wouldn't increasing the outer layer to 1 inch from 1/2 an inch make them softer and maintain the protection?

I think they would get too bulky.  I had to shop long and hard for shoulder pads with minimal caps, I just about knock myself out because the caps would hit me in the chin on my slap shot follow through.  (Farrel - I love them, perfect for pickup, not bulky at all and plenty of chest protection from shots)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Maybe they should develop better hemets.  The protection around the ear/temple is very weak because the helmet ends about that spot.  I would hate it and it would be goofy and cumbersome to wear helmets that extend all the way down like football helmets.  If I had to wear that I would quit playing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Maybe they should develop better hemets.  The protection around the ear/temple is very weak because the helmet ends about that spot.  I would hate it and it would be goofy and cumbersome to wear helmets that extend all the way down like football helmets.  If I had to wear that I would quit playing.

Dr. Blaine Hoshizaki out of the the University of Ottawa has been working on various designs for about 4 years now, that address this problem but don't direcly cap the area or make them bulky. He's put the technlogy, which distributes the force of a hit equally throughout the helmet into football helmets (I think most of the CIAU use them now) and is adapting it for hockey. Hopefully it works well in hockey and manufacturers use the tech.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to gaaucoin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's gonna take a sreious 'career ending' injury to get them to change...the wheels of progress turn only a few RPM. Too bad.

Marc Savard is that career ender, so no it takes more than that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Hoshizaki is actually working with a company out of Lowell - looks like only football helmets have hit the market so far.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/01/21/football-helmet-absorbs-hits-deter-concussions/C7SXkPtyPSL82wYZ6bWZ4L/story.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I have watched Don Cherry take a pair, or multiple pairs of elbow pads and crack them against a table. no damage to the pad, but heavy marks and blemishes to the wooden table. This is not something that should be set aside, and, somewhere in my memory, there is a reference to an NHL staff study evaluating this problem To my mind they have not done anyone a service. In addition, the armor- like plating, incorporated into shoulder pads , have led to other comcussions [ hello Horton]. The focus of manufacturers have been on body protection, leading to equipment wearing players who are unafraid of slamming into walls, posts etc. as well as other players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zk8DzVrMlw

Pads or not, players will throw elbows and elbows will do damage.  It's not the equipment, it's the players inside of it.  Hockey players and athletes in general are much bigger than their predecessors.  Dave Shultz was 6'1" 185lbs. (Krejci 6' 188lbs.), Wensink was 6' 200lbs.(Daniel Paille), Kordic was 6'1" 210lbs.(Dennis Seidenberg).  The policing of dirty hits to the head (of which this was not) and changing the culture of the players that deliver these blows will eliminate the unecessary concussions.  However, hockey is an impact sport and the risk of concussions will remain even if the game is played within the rules and with "soft" pads.

I don't care what helmet you have, it can only help so much.  Concussions happen when the brain is bouncing off the inside of the skull.  There is not much you can do to stop that from happening.  Helmets are great at preventing fractures, but they can only do so much.  From all of the studies that I have read, the best helmet on the market right now for hockey to help in preventing concussions is the bauer re-akt. http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2011/11/01/bauer-re-akt-helmet/

Not sure how many guys are wearing it though.  It doesn't appear that Patrice is.  This helmet is not bulky or odd looking like other helmets that players won't wear because of aesthetics.

Sections
Shortcuts