Harvard Hates Canada

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Harvard Hates Canada

In THIS video, Harvard students are asked about the capital of Canada.

Is the problem that Harvard students are just too aloof to know simple geography, or is Canada just not all that important in the world?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Re: Harvard Hates Canada

I wouldn't call it hate. I would call it ignorance, for starters....

If you think that is bad - check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA

Rick Mercer talks to Americans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Clearly requires a federal geographical literacy program.  Get on it, Obama!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In THIS video, Harvard students are asked about the capital of Canada.

Is the problem that Harvard students are just too aloof to know simple geography, or is Canada just not all that important in the world?

[/QUOTE]

Neither.  I'd be surprised if many of these same students knew the capital of Iowa either. Does the scope of your critical thinking skill, not go beyond these 2 scenarios?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

'Is the problem that Harvard students are just too aloof to know simple geography, or is Canada just not all that important in the world?' - 'Not-a-Shot'

Hmm. Ok. I would say terming it 'the problem' is an understatement; I wouldn't limit 'the problem' to just Harvard students; I would use a word stronger than 'aloof' and I would rephrase your last question; "...or is the world just not all that important to America?" 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Miami radio show I listen to on the morning drive just talked about this.  One of the hosts, after going through Toronto, Montreal, Quebec and "is it the Province of Ontario", gave his final answer of "Queen Vic City Island."

Funny stuff.

And for those upset about the phrasing (or really anything else about this topic):  Relax.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"...And for those upset about the phrasing (or really anything else about this topic):  Relax." - 'Not-A-Shot'

Nice set-up. What was the topic again? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Don't count me as one of those upset about the phrasing.  I'm glad you shared the clip.  The original post just hits home because it's my generation, and the one preceding.. that started all this.  Despite the fact that everyone has an encyclopedia on demand, general knowledge is on the decline everywhere in North America.  While the rest of the world has been steadily trying to get smarter...we assumed our academic leadership position was guaranteed forever.  We got rid of standards.  Everybody gets a passing grade....everybody deserves a trophy.

When you see this from one of the worlds most distinguished, higher learning facilities...one constantly blowing about their insistence on accepting only the worlds brightest,...it makes one wonder.......

If "Jeopardy" had a 5 dollar question, "what is the Capital of Canada?" would be in that category. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Des Moines.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Des Moines.

[/QUOTE]

South Dakota?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Very funny stuff!  Thirty years ago I was in Atlantic City.  I was asked where I came from, I replied New Hampshire.  The person I asked thought New Hampshire was in Canada.  Americans have not changed.  If NAS could stop the drop out rate in this country, Americans would realize Lacrosse is Canada's national sport.

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't call it hate. I would call it ignorance, for starters....

If you think that is bad - check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA

Rick Mercer talks to Americans.

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Fun as bored xenophobes are, I suggest sticking to our (shallow) depths.

I am a citizen of Boston Bruins

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think it's too late in NAS's mandate for him to make any impact on drop out rates, though it could be one of those last minute hail marys you see sometimes.  Maybe he should get Michelle working on it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's too late in NAS's mandate for him to make any impact on drop out rates, though it could be one of those last minute hail marys you see sometimes.  Maybe he should get Michelle working on it?

[/QUOTE]

He keeps taking her to the movies instead.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Home of ice, snow, hockey and Wayne Gretzky. That's all you really need to know. I doubt most Americans even figure out that Canadian Club (CC) is from Canada. 

What's the capitol of Australia? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Canberra - boring town. Sister-in-law is there, which makes it even worse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Canberra - boring town. Sister-in-law is there, which makes it even worse.

[/QUOTE]

I knew it too, as I had a teacher who taught us all the Capitals of the world, but my guess is most would say Sydney. 

My point is I really don't care anymore if the Americans know us one way or another. Generally speaking, most don't care, and I have accepted it as the way it is. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

3 kids in college and all they know about geography is what I taught them as the schools have stopped teaching it as a subject. Plus a huge percentage of under 25 year olds are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Capital of Canada? Ummm...is it Canadia City??? I did not make this up. It was a real answer from one of my daughter's friends during a car ride to school. High school...not kindergarten. Funny, but sad.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Canada not important? Maybe we should ask Neely, Chia, Claude, Lucic, Iginla, Smith, Hamilton, Marchand, Boychuk, Kelly, Paille, Bergeron, Thornton, Campbell, McQuaid, Spooner, Caron and Johnson what they think?