Has Horton found a home in your heart?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Has Horton found a home in your heart?

Last year around mid season there were a lot of post and sports radio talk about Horton slumping and not living up to potential.  Im sure there were even some posts here about trading the guy.  After his clutch play in the playoffs it seemed like his popularity had taken off.  In that Vancouver series, however, it seemed like the bruins faithful really embraced him as a fan favorite.  He seemed to take on one of the big stories of this cup season.  I mean, in my mind, 40 years from now ill probably still be telling my kids about the big hit he took in game three and tell them the cool story of him taking the boston water to vancouver and spraying it on the ice before game 7.  In my mind he has not only become a fan favorite but one of those Boston underdog stories that we embrace and fall in love with.  I put him up there with like the Troy Browns of Boston Sports.  You know what I mean, that guy who never really becomes a super star but almost becomes a boston legend in his own right.  Not only that but it seems like he himself holds the Bruins team and the city of Boston in high reguards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Has Horton found a home in your heart?

Horton did a lot this year to earn a spot from the increased physical play, increased fighting.. The two most defining moments for him for me this season as a bruin are both when he was off the ice this year, coming back to hand out the jacket, and then dumping the  "garden ice" onto the rink at vancouver

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

In Response to Re: Has Horton found a home in your heart?:
    Horton did a lot this year to earn a spot from the increased physical play, increased fighting.. The two most defining moments for him for me this season as a bruin are both when he was off the ice this year, coming back to hand out the jacket, and then dumping the  "garden ice" onto the rink at vancouver
    Posted by rolerhoky19

True that, and beating up Dion Phag-neuf of the Maple Leafs. Loved it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Something to keep in mind about Horton:

He played the entire playoffs with a separated shoulder, leading me to think that because of this limitation he was not trying to overextend himself and therefore put less pressure on himself and was not doing more than what he was capable of doing. Therefore, he was able to play his game.

Had he not had the injury, he may have tried to do too much and squeeze the stick a little more. In a situation like that he may not have had the same success.

Conclusion: Just play your game Nathan, your talent will take care of the rest. Don't do more than what you have to. The rest of the boys will take care of everything else.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Something to keep in mind about Horton: He played the entire playoffs with a separated shoulder, leading me to think that because of this limitation he was not trying to overextend himself and therefore put less pressure on himself and was not doing more than what he was capable of doing. Therefore, he was able to play his game. Had he not had the injury, he may have tried to do too much and squeeze the stick a little more. In a situation like that he may not have had the same success. Conclusion: Just play your game Nathan, your talent will take care of the rest. Don't do more than what you have to. The rest of the boys will take care of everything else.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Got hurt in the Tampa series and he scored the big goal in game 7 against them also.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Has Horton found a home in your heart? : Got hurt in the Tampa series and he scored the big goal in game 7 against them also.
    Posted by BsLegion

thanks, I didnt think that sounded right.. It also seemed like a few to many generalizations to make about the guy.. This was his first play offs, and he played well..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: Has Horton found a home in your heart? : Got hurt in the Tampa series and he scored the big goal in game 7 against them also.
    Posted by BsLegion

Can't remember where I read it, but Horton got hurt in late March. He did play all the playoff hurt.

I'll check up on that and then repost.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

My mistake. Horton did separate his should in game 7 vs Tampa.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-06-18/sports/29674600_1_bruins-general-manager-peter-chiarelli-medical-report

However, listen to my advise Nate!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

The Bruins made a player out of Ryder, out of Horton, and I hope they do the same with Benoit Pouliot. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The Bruins made a player out of Ryder, out of Horton, and I hope they do the same with Benoit Pouliot. 
    Posted by BorisTheGorilla

Horton and ryder were both good players, they both had career highs with other teams.. You just start watching the game this year?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

When did they make a player out of Ryder?

Yes, he turned in some good shifts and some goals in the playoffs.

I've been watching the replays on the nhl channel, he benefitted a lot from the hustle of others and did what he shoudl have been doing.  He went above and beyond by playing goalie and making a glove save.

A player that doesn't hustle at all normally looks a LOT better when they hustle 80% and sometimes 100%.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He can't afford that kind of real estate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hi. I'm hockey from two years ago.  I don't think we've met.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

lol.

I've liked Horton since he came here and I'm glad he's part of the team.  I find he has a great attitude.

In Response to Re: Has Horton found a home in your heart? : Hi. I'm hockey from two years ago.  I don't think we've met.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Has Horton found a home in your heart?:
    .  I put him up there with like the Troy Browns of Boston Sports.  You know what I mean, that guy who never really becomes a super star .
    Posted by prob2236

Troy Brown is not close to the player Horton has been.  A first round pick in a talent-loaded draft, and a consistent 25-30 goal scorer for a terrible, terrible team.  Horton is not the second-tier player Brown was.

Not a good comparison.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I've never felt otherwise about Horton. I loved his game all year( even when he was snakebit). He(and Campbell) will go down as one of Boston's best ever aquisitions. I was pleasantly surprised to hear they acquired Horton for Wideman since the fan base couldn't get rid of Wideman fast enough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

BadHab, I was actually looking at some game 5 vs. Montreal highlights, and Ryder might have had some of the best backchecks during the playoffs. It really was amazing to see the speed that he has when he wants to skate.
    Gionta was at the red line when Ryder was at the blue line behind him. Gionta had a hot hand and had been lighting up Thomas up to that point in the series. He was teeing up a slap shot from the faceoff dot, and Ryder got a stick on it, deflecting it wide.
    Also, his backcheck vs. Tampa, intercepting a centering feed across the ice, and turning and sending Seguin on his first goal of game 2.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

BadHab, I was actually looking at some game 5 vs. Montreal highlights, and Ryder might have had some of the best backchecks during the playoffs. It really was amazing to see the speed that he has when he wants to skate. Gionta was at the red line when Ryder was at the blue line behind him. Gionta had a hot hand and had been lighting up Thomas up to that point in the series. He was teeing up a slap shot from the faceoff dot, and Ryder got a stick on it, deflecting it wide. Also, his backcheck vs. Tampa, intercepting a centering feed across the ice, and turning and sending Seguin on his first goal of game 2.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

That's what was most frustrating about Ryder. When his head and heart was in it he had the abilities to be a game-changer. Sadly though, his effort seemed to wane not just game to game but seemingly from shift to shift. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I guess the answer is yes... since every one of the 2011 Stanley Cup Champs will be remembered in some small way forever by me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In Response to Re: Has Horton found a home in your heart? : That's what was most frustrating about Ryder. When his head and heart was in it he had the abilities to be a game-changer. Sadly though, his effort seemed to wane not just game to game but seemingly from shift to shift. 
    Posted by dezaruchi

I think he showed up pretty big in the playoffs. He played a great back-checking game, and obviously added a solid scoring touch. Regular season, his back-checking was non-existent. But I will give him a tip of the cap in his playoff performance; I thought he played really well.

On topic now though: Horton's playoff performance was outstanding, and his new-found love for the sport upon arriving in Boston was awesome. His never back down attitude will never be forgotten.
    Frankly, though, I agree with bostonfaninnewjersey......every player did something special in the playoffs, and will be remembered for stepping up big at particular times. Each player had their games where they put the team on their backs for a moment. Name a player, and I can come up with a moment. Yes, that even includes Kaberle, who's offensive output was surprising.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bochi6. Show bochi6's posts

Thank you for the back checking comment. I said the same thing to my father...he backchecked his azz off the entire playoffs. He saved more than just a couple goals this spring, and I am actually a little weary about losing him.

While I admit his effort wasnt always there in REGULAR SEASON...he performed in the playoffs, and that my friends, is where you earn your faith from me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Has Horton found a home in your heart? : I think he showed up pretty big in the playoffs. He played a great back-checking game, and obviously added a solid scoring touch. Regular season, his back-checking was non-existent. But I will give him a tip of the cap in his playoff performance; I thought he played really well. On topic now though: Horton's playoff performance was outstanding, and his new-found love for the sport upon arriving in Boston was awesome. His never back down attitude will never be forgotten. Frankly, though, I agree with bostonfaninnewjersey......every player did something special in the playoffs, and will be remembered for stepping up big at particular times. Each player had their games where they put the team on their backs for a moment. Name a player, and I can come up with a moment. Yes, that even includes Kaberle, who's offensive output was surprising.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

Yep, there's not a guy on the team that didn't step up big at some point in the playoffs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm hoping Horton will make a hole in someone's head.

Sections
Shortcuts