hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust:
    In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Bottom line for me is that all is forgotten if Seguin plays and performs well in the playoffs.
    Posted by dezaruchi

100% true. And you know me, I will shutup and jump on board when the kid starts producing or creating; I'm not a troll, entrenched in my position. But I want to see that performance before I say the kid is the star we all think/hope he is.

Right now, he's not a threat at all when he's on the ice. Most of the time he is nowhere near the puck and so he rarely makes the opposition adjust and allow his linemates to create opportunities. If he was 0-0-0 for the full 82 but was allowing his linemates to create chances  (similar to Lucic with his physical play on the line with Savard and Kessel), I'd have no problems. He just isn't a threat right now for us and skating fast without the puck won't help us at the moment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : I watched his first few games and he was just as hesitant and tepid for the most part but quickly improved the more ice-time he got. I do not think he would have been afforded the same luxury in Boston....
    Posted by jmwalters

Fair point. I'll drop it (for) now. Enjoyed the discussion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : I see what you're saying, but I don't think that if we had Hall he'd be on our fourth line. He'd probably be riding with Bergy and Marchand on the 2nd line. That may be because his of his style of play, more than his skill level being better than Seguin's, but I think you offer a false choice. I don't think Seguin is performing poorly because he's on the fourth line, I think he's on the fourth line because he is performing poorly. Actually, both are true and reinforce each other. That is also part of the problem. Again, I am all for giving the kid time and I realize we can't scratch him game after game, indeed, I'd love to see him get more ice time because I think the future is extremely important and perhaps more so than this season.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Players develop at different rate so to call him a bust in his 1st year is ridiculous.

Did you see how many games Hall was a minus earlier in the year but everytime I saw him he was carrying the puck and turning it over a fair bit.  How many minutes would Tyler get to play if he did this?  I would love for him to be able to grab the puck and be able to skate and try and stick-handle more but any resulting turn-overs would gain him additional splinters.

Anyway DC if we don't get a coach who is willing to work to develop him, you can enjoy watching him succeed with another team after we have traded him for very little.  Look at the Thornton trade. At least you will be happy because the bust will no longer be in Boston. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Seguin struggling on a contender > Seguin struggling on a rebuilder.  I'm okay with him struggling now, finding his way.  The strength of this team is allowing him time to get used to play in this league.  Sure, he would be getting close to 20 min/night on Edmonton, but here he's out of the spotlight, and learning from good players.  He's also learning about the grind of an NHL season as a team goes with the hills and valleys enroute to the playoffs.  I truly believe that we will see Seguin take a big step next year.  And the fact that he's not the savior this year... well I'm okay with that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Fair point. I'll drop it (for) now. Enjoyed the discussion.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Fair enough...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust:
    i know hes only 19 but this kid is lost out there does anybody see this
    Posted by barneybux

Yes, he was awful last night. Again.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Players develop at different rate so to call him a bust in his 1st year is ridiculous. Did you see how many games Hall was a minus earlier in the year but everytime I saw him he was carrying the puck and turning it over a fair bit.  How many minutes would Tyler get to play if he did this?  I would love for him to be able to grab the puck and be able to skate and try and stick-handle more but any resulting turn-overs would gain him additional splinters. Anyway DC if we don't get a coach who is willing to work to develop him, you can enjoy watching him succeed with another team after we have traded him for very little.  Look at the Thornton trade. At least you will be happy because the bust will no longer be in Boston. 
    Posted by huntbri

Read my posts. I am not a Seguin hater and I don't think it's fair to call him a bust. I do think he is underachieving at the moment...no more, no less.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Read my posts. I am not a Seguin hater and I don't think it's fair to call him a bust. I do think he is underachieving at the moment...no more, no less.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I agree DC that based on the hype he is underachieving at this point in time.  I just believe that more of that is due to the situation he is in rather than his ability.  Now that is not to say that his ability at this point is where it needs to be to star.  I think his strength is not there yet and I think he has a bigger learning curve to go through than Hall.  That being said I think he would be a step or two foward in his learning curve if Clod let a little of the reigns.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : I agree DC that based on the hype he is underachieving at this point in time.  I just believe that more of that is due to the situation he is in rather than his ability.  Now that is not to say that his ability at this point is where it needs to be to star.  I think his strength is not there yet and I think he has a bigger learning curve to go through than Hall.  That being said I think he would be a step or two foward in his learning curve if Clod let a little of the reigns.
    Posted by huntbri

I don't think its situation vs. ability. I think it's situation vs. ability vs. execution.

The ability is there. Everyone can see that. The situation has fluctuated, but clearly isn't there on the fourth line and the execution absolutely isn't there.

The ability is a credit to Seguin's natural talent and work ethic, the situation is a knock on Julien/ a reality based on the Bruins' position, and the execution is a knock on Seguin/ the reality of a 19 year old who just isn't quite ready for the best league in the world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Kid does seem pretty lost. I'm no troll, I'm a huge fan, and I don't doubt he can get better, but so far he seems lost and afraid. Virtually every time he gets the puck he makes a quick shovel pass to the closest teammate, takes a long-range wrister, or throws the puck into open space. Regardless of if it's the right play at the time, if this is all you do, you aren't going to be an impact player. I need to see more.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

The kid was not developed this year he was used by coaching and managment.Trade him or change your ways Bs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

The post here says the kid is "a bust."

At 19.

In his rookie year.

I was absolutely amazed and appalled to see that this thread then went on for more than 60 responses--I guess including my own.

How ANYONE can call ANY PLAYER a "bust" after not even one full season in his first ever trip to the big leagues with limited ice time--i.e. All the potential, everything that made him the #2 pick in the draft, all the flashes of speed and brilliance we HAVE seen so far....to say all that WAS A MISTAKE AND ALL THE EXPERTS WERE WRONG NOW AND FOR THE REST OF THE KID'S CAREER....is about the dumbest thing I've read on a forum that often contains more dumbness than a bucket full of practice pucks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

The post here says the kid is "a bust." At 19. In his rookie year. I was absolutely amazed and appalled to see that this thread then went on for more than 60 responses--I guess including my own. How ANYONE can call ANY PLAYER a "bust" after not even one full season in his first ever trip to the big leagues with limited ice time--i.e. All the potential, everything that made him the #2 pick in the draft, all the flashes of speed and brilliance we HAVE seen so far....to say all that WAS A MISTAKE AND ALL THE EXPERTS WERE WRONG NOW AND FOR THE REST OF THE KID'S CAREER....is about the dumbest thing I've read on a forum that often contains more dumbness than a bucket full of practice pucks.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Actually, most of this thread has been pretty good debate, back and forth on Seguin's season so far. I think people on both sides of the debate in this thread would agree.

Perhaps OP could re name the thread?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I just don't think that Seguin has adjusted to the speed of the NHL yet. He's having a hard time accepting passes and holding onto the puck because of trying to do things too fast . He has not yet found his comfort zone in how much time he has to make plays. He looks nervous and unconfident whenever he handles the puck.
    One of the big things on Seguin's resume coming out for the draft was that he adjusted and improved from year to year. Let's hope this is the case because IMO he hasn't improved a great deal from the start of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsYear. Show BruinsYear's posts

Re: hate to say this topic is a bust

Seguin has around the same amount of points that Kessel did in his rookie year,did you call Kessel a bust also?

Joe Thornton had 7 points in his 55 rookie games,I bet if you werent in diapers
    that year you would have called hin the worst top draft pick in the history of the league.

Seguin is learning how to play the game the right way as a pro...those who understand the game will agree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

Re: hate to say this topic is a bust

In Response to Re: hate to say this topic is a bust:
    Seguin has around the same amount of points that Kessel did in his rookie year,did you call Kessel a bust also? Joe Thornton had 7 points in his 55 rookie games,I bet if you werent in diapers that year you would have called hin the worst top draft pick in the history of the league. Seguin is learning how to play the game the right way as a pro...those who understand the game will agree.
    Posted by BruinsYear

Not sure this is a fair comparison. Jumbo Joe brought the physical game in the beginning of his career.  Thats not Seguins game.  Comparing their points doesn't match what they brought to the table.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Actually, most of this thread has been pretty good debate, back and forth on Seguin's season so far. I think people on both sides of the debate in this thread would agree. Perhaps OP could re name the thread?
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Yes, re-name the post and I rescind my insult....but until that happens I stand by it.

The original post said Seguin is a "bust." That means he's deemed by the poster completely done after 3/4 of a season, as a 19-year old rookie, etc., etc.

That's just plain and un-defendable ignorance on the part of the poster, no matter where the debate went from there.

If someone posts a thread saying "Seguin a disappointment so far" or "I'm not sure Seguin will ever be great", then fine, those are debatable opinions even if I don't agree with them. But calling him a "bust?" already?? No, that's deserving of scorn, and I was simply surprised that the thread had the legs it did....I thought such a thread should be a "bust."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

WOW, the pundits have spoken. What kind of wunderkind did you expect??? Did the kid make a great goal in the game in Prague? Would any of you negative bashers have put Seguin with Lucic and Horton in the first or second week? Seguin excelled in Juniors, as did Hall. He has been prohibited from a logical AHL step by the rules. He has been forced to adapt to Claude's rules== DEFENCE first, last and always. Any player needs consistent and skilled linemates. Has Seguin been provided with that opportunity?? Absolutely NO. Have you noticed how often he accelerates toward the opposing blue line and Thornton or Boychuck holds the puck too long to make a play? he has adapted to bigger and stronger opponents by skating and positioning. He makes plays at full speed. Can you do that? Only Bergeron, Kreji, and Peverly do it on the bruins. Claude is not into "developing" , no matter how skilled a player is. Watch this kid emerge, you're missing some special pictures if you don't see them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

WOW, the pundits have spoken. What kind of wunderkind did you expect??? Did the kid make a great goal in the game in Prague? Would any of you negative bashers have put Seguin with Lucic and Horton in the first or second week? Seguin excelled in Juniors, as did Hall. He has been prohibited from a logical AHL step by the rules. He has been forced to adapt to Claude's rules== DEFENCE first, last and always. Any player needs consistent and skilled linemates. Has Seguin been provided with that opportunity?? Absolutely NO. Have you noticed how often he accelerates toward the opposing blue line and Thornton or Boychuck holds the puck too long to make a play? he has adapted to bigger and stronger opponents by skating and positioning. He makes plays at full speed. Can you do that? Only Bergeron, Kreji, and Peverly do it on the bruins. Claude is not into "developing" , no matter how skilled a player is. Watch this kid emerge, you're missing some special pictures if you don't see them.
    Posted by bogie6

You can add the overhype to your list. I think he was rushed so PC could display immediately what they got for Kessel and deflect some of the initial criticism of that trade. So when we as fans are disappointed that an 18 year old gets 10 goals and 20 points in limited ice time in his rookie year all it is proving is that we had unrealistic expectations....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

I think he is a 19 year old kid in a very tough situation being on a TOP team battling for a playoff spot.  In most cases a kid with his level of play as a #2 pick would be going to a rebuilding team where he would see the playing time to acclimate his play to the NHL.  This kid is coming from JUNIORS.  Not college and not the AHL.  Right now Boston is not in a position where they can give him 17 minutes of playing time per night. Hes playing on the 4th line with a VERY slow Shawn Thornton.  This is the checking/energy line.  He is not with other skill players. 
    Posted by bostondynNASTY

I understand what you are saying here but I believe this is too apologetic for Seguin's below par play.  I love the talent this kid has and i think someday he'll be very good.  However, i'm tired of people pointing to his 4th line-mates and his low playing time.

What about Marchand? He started on that same line, with the same linemates, playing the same minutes. Marchand raised the level of play on that line and later on Bergy's line.

Seguin could do the same if he plays better.  If he plays better, he will play more.  He is not ready right now and the organization is bringing him along slowly and i totally agree with what they are doing.  They brought Jumbo Joe along even slower and he turned into an elite talent...although for another team!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

Please what a joke talk to me when this kid is in the league for a few years. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by bogie6

CJ has brought along young players like Lucic ( 1st line ), Marchand ( 2nd line ), McQuaid ( plus/minus ), Rask ( played him throughout the playoffs ) and Krejci ( 1st line ) since he's arrived in Boston. They have 'developed' under CJ.

The B's have ten players 25 or younger right now. Five rookies are on the roster with four in the lineup ( Kampfer injured ) presently.

Considering that the B's have one of the better records in the league with these young players your quote is arguable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Perplexing as too the long memory of Wesley misses an open net too the short memory of forgetting offensive numbers of Kessel and Thorton's first years in Boston on very bad teams their numbers should have been higher with more ice time on the first two lines but they were not they were terrible.

Seguin can barley get ice time on a very good team that is jockeying for home ice throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs so he's a bust ? Hmm Ok. Very selective logic when were speaking about a 19 year old trying to learn while surrounded by 4th liners.

I doubt you had any problem saying he is a bust OP!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Sandog and Chowdah right on the money with those 2 posts.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Kessel as a top 6 fwd 11G 28Pts on a losing team as a 19 year old, coached by Lewis, he was given all kinds of leeway.

Thorn as a 4th liner 5-6mins  3G 7Pts as a 18 year old, coached by Pat Burns who hated rooks and never played him.

Seg 10G 21Pts as an 18 year old, coached by defence first clod, not given any leeway at all, he has performed admirably under the duress of wanting but not allowed to do more if it deviates from clod's system.

He shows glimpses of it, any time he has been in space for his quick release, trying to chase down Thorn passes, just listening to clod's and PC's demeaning attitudes, shows this kid has what it takes to be more than just a player, but a star player with class.

He will be a star, and then, ye freakin trolls, that say I am a longtime Bruin's fan or the #1 Bruins fan, will say he's no Joe or no Cam, or you may even be on the next rook that hasn't scored 35 goals by x-mas. So stfup and let the kid play, and that goes for you as well clod, you closet scab lover.

Sections
Shortcuts