hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust

I see it's that time of the day again for the obligatory "Seguin sucks" thread.

His numbers are even if not better than Thornton and Kessel's rookie seasons

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Dynasty, we're agreed, he can't be called a bust.

But to say that we are at all impressed with his performance is just as unjustified. He hasn't been very good and he's looked quite timid on most nights.

Let's say he went back to junior this year and put up 100 points. We'd be in the same position as we are right now...waiting to see what he does next year.

Clearly he wasn't NHL ready in 2010-11.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust:
    [QUOTE]I think if we see more of him, we will see more out of him. The hard part is he is on a team in a race and to give him more ice time you'd be taking it away from proven players. I said it before and I'll say it again, the second of of next season wil be his coming out party.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Plus he's being moved around too much.

I was thinking last night, with the game out of reach in the third period what a perfect time to mix up the lines and put together some guys with something to prove, like maybe Ryder, Seguin and Peverly or Kelly and give them some additional ice.

Maybe they might spark something, maybe not.  But at least it would fulfill some needs as far as giving more ice time out (Seguin), showing that  they can perform when times are tough (Ryder, Seguin and you can pick someone else).

I don't know about those particular examples, but there is always something to gain from any game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IGreat point normally the #2 pick goes to a bad team.  n Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust:
    [QUOTE]I think he is a 19 year old kid in a very tough situation being on a TOP team battling for a playoff spot.  In most cases a kid with his level of play as a #2 pick would be going to a rebuilding team where he would see the playing time to acclimate his play to the NHL.  This kid is coming from JUNIORS.  Not college and not the AHL.  Right now Boston is not in a position where they can give him 17 minutes of playing time per night. Hes playing on the 4th line with a VERY slow Shawn Thornton.  This is the checking/energy line.  He is not with other skill players. 
    Posted by bostondynNASTY[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

dc.  Agreed.  not a bust but not impressed.  maybe if the troll who started this thread would have titled it being unimpressed with the kids play instead of lets face it hes a bust we wouldn't even have this convo and we all likely would have been in agreement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]dc.  Agreed.  not a bust but not impressed.  maybe if the troll who started this thread would have titled it being unimpressed with the kids play instead of lets face it hes a bust we wouldn't even have this convo and we all likely would have been in agreement.

Probably. I think this is the case. And maybe I was too strong in my opinion.

However, just realized a little irony here. People rip on Kessel because he isn't putting up franchise player numbers in Toronto, but it wasn't his fault he was offered that $$$ by the TML. He just wasn't/isn't that type of player (yet). Similarly, people will rip on Seguin for not being a great pick because of the role he was put into. Both players, at least right now, aren't what their respective fan baseshoped they'd be, but that isn't their fault and there's still a lot of time on the clock.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Talk about Seguin when he is 21 or 22 not a teenager in a man's league.
    I still think he will be better than any current B's forward after it is all over.
    A long career with 500 goals.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

1 things for sure.  One of the vets need to take this kid under their wings this summer and show him the weight room

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What Bruin would you rather have in a shoot out or breakaway other than Seguin?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from barneybux. Show barneybux's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : You just partially added to my point.  In almost everyother case of #2 draft picks they are on scrub teams who can afford to have the kids out there learning on the fly.  He is forced to be in this situation because he cant go down.  In normal situations a Bruins 1st round pick would be adapting to the new style of play down in the AHL.  Look at Hamill, Caron Knight ETC.  I cant give up on the kid until i see a heavy dose of him.  I was wowed a few times by him most notably at the Garden in his first game vs. Toronto where he scored a very nice goal.  This in turn striked a chant of THANK YOU KESSEL.  Ring a bell 

but a 2 overall should show more glimses of what were going to see in the future

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Agreed.  Plus he's being moved around too much. I was thinking last night, with the game out of reach in the third period what a perfect time to mix up the lines and put together some guys with something to prove, like maybe Ryder, Seguin and Peverly or Kelly and give them some additional ice. Maybe they might spark something, maybe not.  But at least it would fulfill some needs as far as giving more ice time out (Seguin), showing that  they can perform when times are tough (Ryder, Seguin and you can pick someone else). I don't know about those particular examples, but there is always something to gain from any game.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Or it could be an opportunity for someone to take a shot at him. He may not be much to the posters here but he is our young stud.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]1 things for sure.  One of the vets need to take this kid under their wings this summer and show him the weight room

I think the kid understands that component of the game. I remember reading a lot about how hard he was working out last summer.

It's too bad Gary Roberts now works full time with the Stars. He had a really good training/nutrition program (with a ton of young NHLers in it, including Stamkos) going on.

Not sure if he can still run it while under contract with the Stars, but Seguin is from a nearby town, so if he can, I hope #19 signs up. Additional benefit: can't hurt to train with guys like Stamkos (a guy who went through similar struggles in his rookie year).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I'm still hoping to see a no trolls area on the Globe forums ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]What Bruin would you rather have in a shoot out or breakaway other than Seguin?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

No one. And I am not saying I cannot see his skill. I really am not a Seguin-hater, I just cannot stand the unwavering defense of him. And, franky, if we're talking about a fourth liner, Paille is probably the better fit. Do Bruins fans really have no issues with how the kid is playing? I doubt this.

But shootouts are marginal at best (especially for a division leader) and he isn't creating opportunities for breakaways. If he was and the team wasn't setting him up, then fine, but that's not the case.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from barneybux. Show barneybux's posts

i caused a stir here but let me tell you there is nobody that loves  the bruins and the fans more than i do but what im saying a 2 overall pick should show glimpses of his talent whatever line he plays on

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Seguin's best play was in the first few games before he was throttled by Claude. Claude has no clue or interest in developing a rookie. The kid has tried to accomodate Claude's defensive demands into his offensive capability, and it's not working, especially when playing with Thornton. There aren't any other 18/19 year olds burning up the league. Most of the top rookies are 22/23, a difference of 2 or 3 years experience. In Claude's defense, I really hate to say this, it's not his job to "develop" any player. His job is to set up lines with chemistry, both forward and defense. Unfortunately, his area of expertise is TEAM, not individual, defense. That's where Claude is comfortable. However, his job requires establishing lines with chemistry. Waiting on Savard messed that up, but he did set up Kreji/Lucic/Horton. Two years ago he had Kreji/Ryder/Wheeler. Last year he had Bergeron/Recchi/Sturm.  Injuries have interfered some, but he initiated Marchand/Campbell/Thornton, which, early on was very good, but with Sturm not available, Marchand picked up his play with Bergeron and Recchi. Now REX is fading and maybe Marchand/Bergeron/Peverly emerges, but we are still floundering with Kelly and Ryder. Now Claude's inability to "DEVELOP" Seguin with stable linemates is a major problem. This is NOT Seguin's fault IMHO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

This comment posted earlier, "In most cases a kid with his level of play as a #2 pick would be going to a rebuilding team where he would see the playing time to acclimate his play to the NHL. "

Exactly, he would and that would just show he is not ready for the big time, more so than it does now. Many of you have commented that he doesnt take anyone on.....Because he cant.... He should (as stated before) be able to make something happen out of nothing, once in a blue moon. But he hasnt...I havent seen him beat anyone one on one.

Im not gonna call him a bust just yet, but I think I would expect better out of a number 2 pick. Although, many of you have stated that the projected 1 & 2 in this years draft are not as good as Hall and Seguin....so I dont know... Hopefully he'll have an even better year next season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]i caused a stir here but let me tell you there is nobody that loves  the bruins and the fans more than i do but what im saying a 2 overall pick should show glimpses of his talent whatever line he plays on
    Posted by barneybux[/QUOTE]

i think that's backwards. because he's 19 years old, he needs to be with talented players who can cover for his mistakes while still being able to help make use of his offensive ability. his own lack of polish requires some talented (and patient) linemates to compensate and teach. 

unless you just decide that you don't need his offense in which case you put him on the 4th and hope he plays even hockey..... 

i think his offensive potential this year is an important part of their playoff chances. management obviously does not, so they should probably be happy with his play this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : No one. And I am not saying I cannot see his skill. I really am not a Seguin-hater, I just cannot stand the unwavering defense of him. And, franky, if we're talking about a fourth liner, Paille is probably the better fit. Do Bruins fans really have no issues with how the kid is playing? I doubt this. But shootouts are marginal at best (especially for a division leader) and he isn't creating opportunities for breakaways. If he was and the team wasn't setting him up, then fine, but that's not the case.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinions DC but I have to disagree with you somewhat on this one and here is why:

I think we both agree that Hall has had a solid rookie year up until his injury. That being said do you think if we tool Hall and Edm took Seguin Hall would be as productive or Seguin as unproductive? Not likely. The reason is in the circumstances they are in. Coach Renny knows his job is to develop young talent and so has put Hall in all situations to give the rookie a chance to succede. Since the Oilers are going to be bad for a while that is his priority and Hall has responded well.

As for the Bruins, Julien's job is to get to the playoffs and win the cup. Anything that detracts from that (like, say experimenting with a rookie) is counter-productive. Thus, Seguin has been used sparingly, plays on the 4rth line when he does get in the lineup, and gets looked over for PP duty in favour of veterans. In short, Julien is doing what he thinks is necessary to win. Seguin's development is merely a bonus....

So, the result is Hall doing well and Seguin looking directionless and lost. Do you honestly think if we had Hall playing Julien's system on the fourth line with limited minutes and PP time he would be lighting it up? Not likely. What is likely is if Seguin was in Edmonton he would have around the same number of points as Hall....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

^^^Nicely said^^

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Do you honestly think if we had Hall playing Julien's system on the fourth line with limited minutes and PP time he would be lighting it up? Not likely. What is likely is if Seguin was in Edmonton he would have around the same number of points as Hall....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying, but I don't think that if we had Hall he'd be on our fourth line. He'd probably be riding with Bergy and Marchand on the 2nd line. That may be because his of his style of play, more than his skill level being better than Seguin's, but I think you offer a false choice.

I don't think Seguin is performing poorly because he's on the fourth line, I think he's on the fourth line because he is performing poorly. Actually, both are true and reinforce each other. That is also part of the problem.

Again, I am all for giving the kid time and I realize we can't scratch him game after game, indeed, I'd love to see him get more ice time because I think the future is extremely important and perhaps more so than this season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : Probably. I think this is the case. And maybe I was too strong in my opinion. However, just realized a little irony here. People rip on Kessel because he isn't putting up franchise player numbers in Toronto, but it wasn't his fault he was offered that $$$ by the TML. He just wasn't/isn't that type of player (yet). Similarly, people will rip on Seguin for not being a great pick because of the role he was put into. Both players, at least right now, aren't what their respective fan baseshoped they'd be, but that isn't their fault and there's still a lot of time on the clock.
    The difference is that it was Kessel's fault there was a falling out in Boston.He didn't simply sign an offer sheet that PC refused to match.He basically didn't want to play in Boston and made sure it happenned.I see where you're going with this one but I don't really agree considering all of the circumstances.Bottom line for me is that all is forgotten if Seguin plays and performs well in the playoffs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : I see what you're saying, but I don't think that if we had Hall he'd be on our fourth line. He'd probably be riding with Bergy and Marchand on the 2nd line. That may be because his of his style of play, more than his skill level being better than Seguin's, but I think you offer a false choice. I don't think Seguin is performing poorly because he's on the fourth line, I think he's on the fourth line because he is performing poorly. Actually, both are true and reinforce each other. That is also part of the problem. Again, I am all for giving the kid time and I realize we can't scratch him game after game, indeed, I'd love to see him get more ice time because I think the future is extremely important and perhaps more so than this season.
    Sadly enough,Seguin was at his best when he was between Ryder and Wheeler.......

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hate to say this tyler seguin is a bust : I see what you're saying, but I don't think that if we had Hall he'd be on our fourth line. He'd probably be riding with Bergy and Marchand on the 2nd line. That may be because his of his style of play, more than his skill level being better than Seguin's, but I think you offer a false choice. I don't think Seguin is performing poorly because he's on the fourth line, I think he's on the fourth line because he is performing poorly. Actually, both are true and reinforce each other. That is also part of the problem. Again, I am all for giving the kid time and I realize we can't scratch him game after game, indeed, I'd love to see him get more ice time because I think the future is extremely important and perhaps more so than this season.

I see your point but I do stick with mine.

I do not, however, think Seguin should be getting more ice-time this year as it will likely do no good. He has lost a year of development and nothing is going to change that. It is what it is.

As for Hall, you raise an interesting point but I do firmly believe he would be no more successful than Seguin if he were a Bruin. I watched his first few games and he was just as hesitant and tepid for the most part but quickly improved the more ice-time he got. I do not think he would have been afforded the same luxury in Boston....