Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan:
    If we don't resign Kaberle, these trades are stupid. We have to resign him. If you let Kaberle walk at the end of the season, you have basically traded Joe Colborne, Blake Wheeler, Mark Stuart, a 1st round pick & a conditional pick for RIch Peverly & Boris Valabik. That is a really bad trade any way you look at it I still think we need a winger.
    Posted by lordy4

Actually the conditional draft pick will not apply if we do not sign him. Also Peverly can play the wing so we do not, on paper, need another winger.

I do think, though, that the ultimate outcome of this flurry of trades (barring a Stanley Cup win of course) comes down to the signing of Kaberle. If PC can re-sign him then he was unquestionably successful. If he does not then he better hope the B's win the Cup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinscam. Show bruinscam's posts

yah cause i've been a b;s fan since late 60s and this team keeps makin bonehead trades     kaberle is soft and since we can;t put the puck in the net not a cup contender     remember we lose 1st rounder a a great prospect    and i will come back and post when  we are gone in first 2nd rd....we will see

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan:
    In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : Actually the conditional draft pick will not apply if we do not sign him. Also Peverly can play the wing so we do not, on paper, need another winger. I do think, though, that the ultimate outcome of this flurry of trades (barring a Stanley Cup win of course) comes down to the signing of Kaberle. If PC can re-sign him then he was unquestionably successful. If he does not then he better hope the B's win the Cup.
    Posted by jmwalters

Good points but the conditional pick also applies if the Bruins make the cup finals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : Good points but the conditional pick also applies if the Bruins make the cup finals.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

If we made the finals thats a small price to pay

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I dont know much about the two new additions and have never really noticed them when I have seen atlanta play, but Im not upset at all. I like wheeler, but then again, we werent getting out of him what everyone here says he's capable of. I mean, you can only ring so much water out of a sponge. And as for him scoring 35-40 goals...I dont see it happening. Maybe 20-25 is all he'll ever be or get. You have to be a complete stud and playing on a line with complete Studs to get 35-40 goals in the NHL....You are considered an elite player if you can produce that much. Anymore teams are so stingy and its tough to put up those numbers for anyone. Im really just happy for a change to this team. So we'll see how it all pans out. Again, Im not the least bit fazed by losing Wheels and Stuart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

If we don't resign Kaberle, these trades are stupid. We have to resign him. If you let Kaberle walk at the end of the season, you have basically traded Joe Colborne, Blake Wheeler, Mark Stuart, a 1st round pick & a conditional pick for RIch Peverly & Boris Valabik. That is a really bad trade any way you look at it I still think we need a winger.
    Posted by lordy4

I agree with you. I cant see trading as much as they plan to trade away, for someone they think of so highly and not want him back for years to come. They will sign kaberle

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Why do I have to be excited.  Unless we win the Cup these are bad deals.  We lost both trades but the team is improved on paper.  We went from almost no chance to win the cup to a slight chance to win it while giving up some of our future.  If we make another deal to bring in Richards then we have a good chance to win and I will get excited.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Stuart was never getting back into B's lineup, why he fell in disfavor with Julien is a mystery...plus-8 dman, and a true defensive d-man. Wheeler just woefully inconsistent, sometimes he showed talent, most times he was an empty space on the ice. Colbourne was not a great draft pick and certainly far from Seguin in skill/advancement. The B's got Kelly, Kaberle, Peverly....got to say they have improved the team on PP point, more faceoff wins from a team that is pretty good at faceoffs already, and potentially more scoring if Peverly can click and Horton ever fully becomes a real go-to scorer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : Good points but the conditional pick also applies if the Bruins make the cup finals.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Whoops..sorry about that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I am pleasantly surprised about getting Peverly (Valabik is a throwaway).

I knew they had to shed some cap to make room for Kaberle and I was expecting Stuart to go to the Hawks for a 2d or 3d round pick, so to get a roster-ready player (who's better than Wheeler) instead is a big plus. Kudos.

I remember watching Atl. beat the Bruins earlier in the year and Peverly impressed me w/his speed and skill level. He is an absolute upgrade over the increasingly useless Wheeler. And Stu I will miss but you've got to admit that having Boychuk AND McQuaid made his exactly similar game and skills expendable.

Kaberle is a good improvement for the PP, and now w/Kampfer they have 2 good-skating D-men who can provide some offensive pop.

But PLEASE, let's not kid ourselves into thinking the B's are going to the top based on these moves. Give PC redit for doing what he could and not giving up the Tor. draft pick for lesser talent. If there's a deal out there he could have made for a HUGE impact player w/out giving up that pick AND much-needed roster players (like Krejci, Marchand, Kampfer, and others GM's were probably asking for) he would have done it (I think. I hope. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.)

These moves are nice. They make the Bruins better. But they still won't be enough to get to the Conference Finals.

My prediction: another ouster in round 2...7 games...a well-played series by the B's....but another heart-breaker. It won't be PC's fault. But this team is still not good enough to advance to the next level.

My 2 cents and I'm sure I'll get slammed for it, but we'll see come the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : I would think PC will make bringing back kaberle his top off season move. Assuming savy doesn't come back we have about 13 mill in capspace for next season.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17

I'm sure signing Kaberle will be Chiarelli's top priority - the man's not stupid.  Regardless of Savard's condition in September, we won't have Ryder's $4.M to contend with.

I wasn't a fan of trading for Kaberle but I'll eat my words when he resigns.  Kaberle, Kelly, Valabik, and Peverly for Wheeler (pathetic and arrogant), Stuart (tough but suddenly injury-prone), Colborne (underachieving prospect), our 1st (high 20's), our 2nd (high 50's), and another 2nd (if/assuming Kaberle resigns).  I think Chiarelli did what he had to and I'm excited to see this team play without the trade rumors swirling overhead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I am pleasantly surprised about getting Peverly (Valabik is a throwaway). I knew they had to shed some cap to make room for Kaberle and I was expecting Stuart to go to the Hawks for a 2d or 3d round pick, so to get a roster-ready player (who's better than Wheeler) instead is a big plus. Kudos. I remember watching Atl. beat the Bruins earlier in the year and Peverly impressed me w/his speed and skill level. He is an absolute upgrade over the increasingly useless Wheeler. And Stu I will miss but you've got to admit that having Boychuk AND McQuaid made his exactly similar game and skills expendable. Kaberle is a good improvement for the PP, and now w/Kampfer they have 2 good-skating D-men who can provide some offensive pop. But PLEASE, let's not kid ourselves into thinking the B's are going to the top based on these moves. Give PC redit for doing what he could and not giving up the Tor. draft pick for lesser talent. If there's a deal out there he could have made for a HUGE impact player w/out giving up that pick AND much-needed roster players (like Krejci, Marchand, Kampfer, and others GM's were probably asking for) he would have done it (I think. I hope. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.) These moves are nice. They make the Bruins better. But they still won't be enough to get to the Conference Finals. My prediction: another ouster in round 2...7 games...a well-played series by the B's....but another heart-breaker. It won't be PC's fault. But this team is still not good enough to advance to the next level. My 2 cents and I'm sure I'll get slammed for it, but we'll see come the playoffs.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

No one would expect you to say otherwise.Every post goes on about how all of the other teams will turn Boston into mincemeat or dogmeat(what's your fascination with meat anyway).One thing you've got on your side is that a pessimist is rarely dissappointed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Certainly better than nothing, no doubt.  I still think they need that winger unless they feel Peverley is some under the radar conversion on the wing?

I noticed he can play wing. Anyone have an opinion on him?  Can Bergeron or Kreicji make him look good?

PP will be helped out immensely which was really goal #1.

So, onward and upward.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Why do I have to be excited.  Unless we win the Cup these are bad deals.  We lost both trades but the team is improved on paper.  We went from almost no chance to win the cup to a slight chance to win it while giving up some of our future.  If we make another deal to bring in Richards then we have a good chance to win and I will get excited.
    Posted by Orrthebest

Please elaborate on how we lost the Atl trade.We gave up a pending ufa d-man who's been scratched as of late and an underperforming winger that people have wanted gone since last year.As far as the present goes,it was basically Peverly for Wheeler(pending rfa).PC saved 900,000$ in cap space.I'm having trouble seeing the negatives here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

I'm very very please and happy with this club today. We had to lose some but it was worth it. Now lets say we win the cup. No one will be moaning and crying as some seem to be doing that in doing so with all the trade talk. I wanted this to happend and very happy. Now this club can learn to play together and be ready for play off. Now we just need every one to stay healthy. Give TT some rest and Tukk some playing time so he not soo rusty if he called upon during the play off.

All smiles here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : No one would expect you to say otherwise.Every post goes on about how all of the other teams will turn Boston into mincemeat or dogmeat(what's your fascination with meat anyway).One thing you've got on your side is that a pessimist is rarely dissappointed.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I like the way "mincemeat" sounds. I reserve "dogmeat" for when I'm feeling especially annoyed.

Still--you disagree w/my assessment? If so, tell me why. I like these moves and said so, but is Boston a better team today than Tampa Bay? The Flyers? The Caps? The Red Wings? The Canucks? The Rangers? Because of these moves?
    Will they be able to handle Montreal's speed players in a 7game series?

I think these are the best moves PC could have made based on what he had and other GM's were offering. But Kelly won't replace Savard's skills. Kaberle may improve the PP, but is often a liability in his own end. Peverly is an upgrade over Wheeler, but not an enormous upgrade. Final analysis: a "B" team has become a "B+" team.

There are still too many "A" and A-" teams standing between the B's and the Cup. The Conference Finals? Maybe I'm too pessimistic on that call, but I'm sticking with it. Let's see who's right come spring.

(I hope it's you.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

Lets remember whatever seed you are don't mean s@#$. It all about playing good in the play offs. Habs prove that last year and so didn't the Bruins early on when other were picking Buffalo to beat us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Boston has a winning record against all those east teams.  THey are better built, with possibly the exception of Philly.  The Bruins are better now for these trades.  Peverly is a huge pick up.  Not because he is so good, but because he is good and has a very low cap hit for this year and next.  A 1.3 mil 50 point man with speed?  Very valuable in a cap system.  Much more valuable than wheeler, and stuart was a UFA who had inconsistent play.  Very good move.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

yah cause i've been a b;s fan since late 60s and this team keeps makin bonehead trades     kaberle is soft and since we can;t put the puck in the net not a cup contender     remember we lose 1st rounder a a great prospect    and i will come back and post when  we are gone in first 2nd rd....we will see
    Posted by bruinscam

Kaberle is going to make their power play much better because of his puck handling ability and his first passes and ability to skate the puck out of his end are is going to mean Boston is not hemmed in their end as much.  Both of these should lead to more offense.  I do agree they need a little more grit but they could get that could be a John Madden or someone like that (a 3rd or 4th liner) for not too steep a price.  The only other thing is they need to sign Kaberle to an extension or they lost this trade.  If they sign him I think it is good trade.  No it doesn't mean they will win the Cup but I think their chances are better today than they were yesterday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinslovah5. Show bruinslovah5's posts

Hey guys! I don't post too much, but I read the forums quite a bit and keep tabs on what all of you think about the state of the B's. This is the first time in a while I've seen such overwhelming happiness (for the most part). Can't wait to see the game tonight! Too bad Pev isn't playing too! I guess by Tuesday everyone should be on board - it'll be interesting to see who sits.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueoxen. Show blueoxen's posts

Real Bruins and hockey fans know this is absolutely an absurdly bad day in Boston Bruins history! It WIlL go down as the day that stopped the momentum that the Bruins have created in the last 3 years. I'm Sick!

Stuart captain a team usa that won gold. Kaberle has done zip! Proven losa!  Today we lose Stuart, Wheeler, Colburne and picks for Kaberle and Peverly? BAD!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : Please elaborate on how we lost the Atl trade.We gave up a pending ufa d-man who's been scratched as of late and an underperforming winger that people have wanted gone since last year.As far as the present goes,it was basically Peverly for Wheeler(pending rfa).PC saved 900,000$ in cap space.I'm having trouble seeing the negatives here.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I see Wheeler as having similar value to Peverly, Valabik had negative value so a deal of Wheeler for Peverly and Valabik would have been fair.  Then we could have traded Stuart to Chicago for a 2nd or 3rd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : I like the way "mincemeat" sounds. I reserve "dogmeat" for when I'm feeling especially annoyed. Still--you disagree w/my assessment? If so, tell me why. I like these moves and said so, but is Boston a better team today than Tampa Bay? The Flyers? The Caps? The Red Wings? The Canucks? The Rangers? Because of these moves? Will they be able to handle Montreal's speed players in a 7game series? I think these are the best moves PC could have made based on what he had and other GM's were offering. But Kelly won't replace Savard's skills. Kaberle may improve the PP, but is often a liability in his own end. Peverly is an upgrade over Wheeler, but not an enormous upgrade. Final analysis: a "B" team has become a "B+" team. There are still too many "A" and A-" teams standing between the B's and the Cup. The Conference Finals? Maybe I'm too pessimistic on that call, but I'm sticking with it. Let's see who's right come spring. (I hope it's you.)
    Posted by TryToBearIt

The road to the cup always goes through the "A" teams.That's just part of the equation.You readily admit that Boston is better today than yesterday so,essentially,they've upgraded a 1st place team.
             Regarding Kelly replacing Savard-I don't think he's expected to and let's not forget,the Savard he's replacing wasn't exactly burning it up.Throw Peverly into the mix and it creates some real depth at forward.If Seguin can keep playing like he did last night that would be better than making a trade.The player he was for most of last night created a scoring opportunity almost every shift.So if Boston can roll 3 lines with scoring threats on all,along with a SOLID 4th line,they'll be able to stack up with anybody.The already top of the league D got better and deeper........the best goaltending in the NHL.........they've beaten all the best teams that the East has to offer.........what else can they do to win your love?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : I see Wheeler as having similar value to Peverly, Valabik had negative value so a deal of Wheeler for Peverly and Valabik would have been fair.  Then we could have traded Stuart to Chicago for a 2nd or 3rd.
    Posted by Orrthebest

You are right but that is kind of an ideal scenario you are offering. PC needed the cap space immediately and did what he had to do....the results of which are, in my perspective, acceptable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Have to be very excited and happy today if your a REAL bruins fan : I see Wheeler as having similar value to Peverly, Valabik had negative value so a deal of Wheeler for Peverly and Valabik would have been fair.Then we could have traded Stuart to Chicago for a 2nd or 3rd.
    Posted by Orrthebest

Are you sure the Hawks would give that much for a 3rd pairing,pending UFA?I was one of Stuart's biggest supporters but the truth is,he wasn't receiving the ice-time to warrant the cash he would need next year.I won't be shocked if Valabik becomes a 3rd pair D under Chara's tutelage.Chara took a little bit to catch on too and if there's one thing you can't teach,it's being 6'7.Essentially it was a cap era trade.We didn't get a huge amount better on that deal but it gave the chance to get better on another one.I guess all I'm saying is I still see this as an improvement in the overall scheme of things.

Sections
Shortcuts