Heavyweight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Heavyweight

Watching the game last night , and after the tilt Lucic had with the Oilers clown , I think PC  might have to address the need for a heavyweight . With a lengthy suspension looming for Thornton , teams that dress their clown will be looking to square off with Lucic , and that's a bad trade off for the Bruins , yes Lucic can handle himself , we all know that , but he took a couple pretty good shots to the chin ,and that seemed to energize the Oilers , I hate seeing Lucic go with the other teams knuckle draggers . 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Heavyweight

How did that energy work out for the Oilers?   Loss!

The last thing I want to see is yet another empty jersey out there.

Of course, if the B's could get Zenon Konopka, I'd be thrilled.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Yes the Bruins won , another gutsy effort , with a depleted lineup , I just don't want Lucic doing   the heavy lifting , against the other teams clown . I'm not suggesting a John Scott type idiot , just someone who can take some of the heat off of Lucic , he is after all a top line winger , I don't mind him dropping the mitts , but going with a guy like Gazdik , I don't think benifits the Bruins at all ...or Milan Lucic

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If need be Bobby Robins could fill that role for now. PC listens to Julien so Thornton's role will probably be filled by someone next year. I would also not be shocked if Sugga were resigned this summer for another year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

I think it Bobby Time ~ BOBBY ROBINS time, i think he deserves a shot. Take your pick who comes out.

Reminder:  Shawn Thornton's in-person hearing is at 1 p.m. today

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, I don't think the Bruins need a 'heavyweight' per se.  It would be nice occasionally have a designated fighter of sorts to deal with teams who send their goons out to fight Lucic and Chara.  That has always been a Thornton justification on some level for me.  But that doesn't seem to happen very often and I don't think it is worth the roster spot.

You know which game I wouldn't mind having a Thornton type player for though?  Vancouver.  With Sestito, Kassian, and Weise it seems like a opportunity for Vancouver to get some toughness revenge, which I'm sure the fans are desperate for.  I care more about winning the game than that, but the problem will be if Lucic or Chara get sucked into fighting a thug like Sestito, to stick up for the young guys.  It would be nice to have McQuaid or a 4th line piece to do that duty and serve the time in the box.

I didn't enjoy watching Lucic slug it out with Gazdic last night.  Terrible trade off for the B's.  The Vancouver game could be the first time I start missing Thornton a little, if Lucic and Chara are out there fighting goons and serving penalties.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How tough is Bobby Robins?

Example 1:

(three officials, four Penguins, one Robins)

Example 2:

(yeah, that's McQuaid)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

HAHA nice screen shots .....

why not just show the whole fight ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmpT_TcJOx0

BUT, the whole point is , it's someone other than a first line player risking injury or spending time in the box with the other teams fourth liner.

btw.

Never saw that one before, Robins more than holds his own against Quaider / thanks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

Since every team has an enforcer..........the empty jerseys cancel out............

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I'd much rather see Bobby on the 4th line than Jordan!  Talk about a waste of space.  What I like about Bobby is that he is a good enough skater to deliver some nice checks.  He is not a Super heavy weight, but will throw with anyone.  On top of that he seems to be a real bright guy from the interviews I've seen of him and through his writings on his blog.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYIRfzp5hlQ

http://www.bobbyrobins.com/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Love to see Robins get a shot.....besides a good fighter,plays with great energy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

We can't have Lucic fighting 4th liners, that's for sure. Give Robbins a shot if we want somebody fighting stiffs. Caron's had enough chances to be mediocre at best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Or Lucic could...just skate away.

No one expects Lucic to fight a 4th line nothing - I bet Gazdic was as surprised as anyone. I hope Julien gave it to Looch for this.

With or without Thornton, No WAY Lucic should be fighting anyone - out of his weightclass or pedigree - or really anyone for that matter. He has nothing to prove to anyone. This was a great trade-off for Edmonton. Edmonton wins the fight no matter who gets the most punches in.

Every second a Gazdic is on the ice is a second Tayor Hall or Jordan Eberle isn't - let Edmonton do that all night.

Why bring up a goon to fill Thornton's spot? So they can keep each other...'honest' to the thrill of us chimps? Most of these Bruins can take care of themselves, if a real need arises. The likes of Gazdic do not represent a 'real need'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Robins isn't a poor choice, but why replace Caron who is doing everything Claude wants him to do, and helping Campbell keep the 4th line relevant? best choice would be Robins for "sweethands", that way campbell knows at least one of his linemates knows and executes Claude's system, including how to kill penalties. Since Thornton left, and Caron was inserted, Claude has rolled all four lines more consistently in the first and second periods, allowing the "scoring" lines to be fresher in the third as demonstrated. This last game was obviously affected by the flu-bug, but they survived.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Robins definitely should get a shot to be on the team. I had thought about Konopka in the past because he's good at the dot, but I'm not sure about his penchant for taking dumb penalties. ST should hopefully be moving on at the end of this year (nothing to do with recent events, just diminishing returns).

I've wanted Caron to get a shot to play in past years, but he doesn't seem to have much upside given his recent play. He reminds me of a quicker Pandawful at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

If 'show business' (the real rationale behind the 'designated fighter' role) dictates that you must replace Thornton on that 4th line with someone who can fight, then lets make sure he is someone who can also play. Right?

Anyone can notice that no one in Claude's 'system' seems to get away with only being able to do one thing. At either end of the food chain! (a big reason why Seguin and Kessel are no longer here.)

it's obvious that Claude values versatility above all else - even over mere talent - and it is really paying off. He has molded this Bruins team into one of the most consistent, feared and emulated teams in the NHL today. Choice of even a 4th line winger requires careful consideration

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

If 'show business' (the real rationale behind the 'designated fighter' role) dictates that you must replace Thornton on that 4th line with someone who can fight, then lets make sure he is someone who can also play. Right?

Anyone can notice that no one in Claude's 'system' seems to get away with only being able to do one thing. At either end of the food chain! (a big reason why Seguin and Kessel are no longer here.)

it's obvious that Claude values versatility above all else - even over mere talent - and it is really paying off. He has molded this Bruins team into one of the most consistent, feared and emulated teams in the NHL today. Choice of even a 4th line winger requires careful consideration

I guess skating behind the play, taking extra long shifts and bouncing on the bench qualify as doing something.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"I guess skating behind the play, taking extra long shifts and bouncing on the bench qualify as doing something." - 'Not-A-Shot'

I was not a huge Shawn Thornton fan either, but have come to see the merits of his contribution as one member of what is often called - and not just by Bruins fans - one of the most effective 4th Lines in the League. I don't think one should underestimate the chemistry Paille/Campbell/Thornton share

Thornton will be missed - especially if he is replaced by the wrong kinda 'tough guy'

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

With or without Thornton, No WAY Lucic should be fighting anyone - out of his weightclass or pedigree - or really anyone for that matter. He has nothing to prove to anyone. This was a great trade-off for Edmonton. Edmonton wins the fight no matter who gets the most punches in.

I disagree.  Lucic isn't a regular "power forward".  He's a lot tougher than those guys.  He can't be the monster that he is known to be if he picks his spots all the time, only going with Prust or Komisarek.  Sometimes he has to go with a true goon, just to let everyone know he's still the same monster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I disagree.  Lucic isn't a regular "power forward".  He's a lot tougher than those guys.  He can't be the monster that he is known to be if he picks his spots all the time, only going with Prust or Komisarek.  Sometimes he has to go with a true goon, just to let everyone know he's still the same monster.

Have to agree here, being tough is part of Fat's pedigree and makes him feared, i also agree he can't be known as a player who pick's his spots.Thats what makes Lucic special, you just never know, he might not drop em' but be prepared because he just might.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

No one expects Lucic to fight a 4th line nothing - I bet Gazdic was as surprised as anyone. I hope Julien gave it to Looch for this.

Every second a Gazdic is on the ice is a second Tayor Hall or Jordan Eberle isn't - let Edmonton do that all night.

Why bring up a goon to fill Thornton's spot? So they can keep each other...'honest' to the thrill of us chimps? Most of these Bruins can take care of themselves, if a real need arises. The likes of Gazdic do not represent a 'real need'.

100% DISAGREE:

With revenge in mind and no Thornton or bonafide (keep the peace) enforcer on the bench, and knowing how Vancouver operates, i suspect they may take advantage of the Bruins current roster........

So name three Bruins who rise up to the challenge when Sestito, Kassian, and Weise decide to get stupid in their next game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I think there's validity in the concern about Vancouver.  They have a lot to prove, especially with a new coach and a "culture change" that goes with it.  I'll be surprised if they don't try to advantage of the B's line-up issues.

Lucic may need to scrap to keep up his bona fides, but filling the clown space like last night... trading a first liner for a forth liner, is a bad transaction. Chara would be a far worse one. And Edmonton did lose that game, but they went from trailing 0-3 and getting embarrassed to pretty much dominating the last 2 periods and outscoring the B's 2-1.

I can take or leave Thornton, but when you are talking about replacing a Caron, or even moreso a "sweethands" that just looked like a mess out there, with a ThorntonClone, it's a better use of personnel.

Now when they have a full compliment of forwards, it's a little harder call.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

100% DISAGREE:

With revenge in mind and no Thornton or bonafide (keep the peace) enforcer on the bench, and knowing how Vancouver operates, i suspect they may take advantage of the Bruins current roster........

So name three Bruins who rise up to the challenge when Sestito, Kassian, and Weise decide to get stupid in their next game.

If I am the Bruins I hope Torts plays these guys a lot... The more minutes they get the better it will be for Boston... Chicago doesnt have any goons or heavyweights in their lineup they do pretty well against Vancouver every time they play....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

100% DISAGREE:

If we're going into battle with our current line-up then I would look for Lucic, Jarome, Chara and Miller to step up against any heavyweights. If things really got out of hand Campbell, Boychcuk, and maybe Fraser could be counted on to step up as well. None of these three Canucks are elite fighters and while it might suck trading a talent for a goon (in Sestito's case anyway) to me, defending your teammates comes before winning a game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

According to Nuck fans Jim Hughson & Craig Simpson, Tom Sestito is hurt and out of the line-up tonight versus the pathetic Oilers, whether he mysteriously appears tomorrow is unknown.

Sections
Shortcuts