Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

I'm just waiting for his new announcement today ?  maybe tomorrow ?
    On the Smith and Smith hit.  Not sure if anyone saw the hit (see link below).
    I think Shanahan's decision on this one will speak volumes on where we're going this season .
    Personally I see a player trying to toe drag and a defense trying to make sure the guy doesn't pass. 
    If this gets 8-10 games might aswell just remove any open ice hits.

Link:

http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-red-wings/2011/9/29/2457424/brendan-smith-hit-ben-smith-video-red-wings-blackhawks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

What's with this pre season ? Hits to the head and hits from behind are becoming a regular thing this year so far. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....:
    I'm just waiting for his new announcement today ?  maybe tomorrow ? On the Smith and Smith hit.  Not sure if anyone saw the hit (see link below). I think Shanahan's decision on this one will speak volumes on where we're going this season . Personally I see a player trying to toe drag and a defense trying to make sure the guy doesn't pass.  If this gets 8-10 games might aswell just remove any open ice hits. Link: http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-red-wings/2011/9/29/2457424/brendan-smith-hit-ben-smith-video-red-wings-blackhawks
    Posted by BsLegion

The thing about this hit BL is did he target the head ?  Those are the key words when looking at hits like this one. Shanahan will be the one looking at this and determining if that was the case. IMO yes he did but that's just my view. He didn't try to hit any part of Smith's body.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Thanks for coming on the Bruins Blog Shanny.  Don't you have better things to do than hang out on here?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....:
    In Response to Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : The thing about this hit BL is did he target the head ?  Those are the key words when looking at hits like this one. Shanahan will be the one looking at this and determining if that was the case. IMO yes he did but that's just my view. He didn't try to hit any part of Smith's body.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I look at it trying to sink a shoulder into the forward.  Unless my eyes are playing games with me I don;t see him lifting his elbow or shoulder purposely so he can hit his head. 
    What I don't know was his intent and only he knows this.  All Shanahan can do is interpret what he "thinks" happened.
    Chara's hip would have done the same thing to his head so then Chara should get 5-10 games ?  or Chara side steps him and has him go on a break-away ?
    Because that's what Chara will have to do when Kessel tries toe drag in on the Bruins net.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Thanks for coming on the Bruins Blog Shanny.  Don't you have better things to do than hang out on here?
    Posted by shuperman

Nah,  I just like the way he always starts his video's. Heard it too much this pre-season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

a better view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgshWgSNeZM

Note that tell tale shoulder shrug, it's a dead giveaway for an intentional high hit.  It indicates a hit directed upward.

These guys should be aiming at the guy's chest - and they are not.  Had he tried to hit him in the crest, it would have been a good open ice hit.

Watching it again, I think it was clearly intentional, watch his knees straighten and his whole posture goes up.

IMO it's a lazy hit, you're not willing to make the real body contact so you aim at where you can inflict damage, but not take any impact yourself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Look at this Boychuk hit.
    Note that the force is directed OUT, not UP as in the case of Smith.

This is how it should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOuiRgUVwQo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

a better view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgshWgSNeZM Note that tell tale shoulder shrug, it's a dead giveaway for an intentional high hit.  It indicates a hit directed upward. These guys should be aiming at the guy's chest - and they are not.  Had he tried to hit him in the crest, it would have been a good open ice hit. Watching it again, I think it was clearly intentional, watch his knees straighten and his whole posture goes up. IMO it's a lazy hit, you're not willing to make the real body contact so you aim at where you can inflict damage, but not take any impact yourself.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Good assessment BH.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Here is a play that is much closer to that scenario - rather what SHOULD have happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Wxm6hw8MA

Letang should not have been penalized.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

a better view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgshWgSNeZM Note that tell tale shoulder shrug, it's a dead giveaway for an intentional high hit.  It indicates a hit directed upward. These guys should be aiming at the guy's chest - and they are not.  Had he tried to hit him in the crest, it would have been a good open ice hit. Watching it again, I think it was clearly intentional, watch his knees straighten and his whole posture goes up. IMO it's a lazy hit, you're not willing to make the real body contact so you aim at where you can inflict damage, but not take any impact yourself.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Split second , they guy going in with his head down ,  it will happen all year long.
    Again, my example of Kessel.  If he toe drags like that on Chara , how is he going to hit his chest ?  This means Chara must use his knee on Kessel to get his chest. 
    Just making jokes but it's a fact. 

I think even if Smith would have sunk his shoulder into the guys chest the other Smith would have been injured.
    Equipment is a big part of this problem and if that is not looked into we'll be hearing a lot of " Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan" Videos.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Posted by BadHabitude

This

And Ive been concerned about the bigger guys hitting the smaller guys with all this suspension stuff going on (Chara/Briere) but I think a there is a difference between a huge guy running into a smaller guy and what we see in this video.  That is an absolute lazy hit and he did throw the shoulder.  Now, whether or not he MEANT to connect with the head isnt the issue for me in this one:  He was going to get burnt and threw the shoulder and hit the head.  THATS the issue.  10 games in my opinion because it IS a head shot and the guy was knocked out and more than likely has a concussion.  We know how many star players have been knocked out of the game permanently by these hits, its time to protect guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Split second , they guy going in with his head down ,  it will happen all year long. Again, my example of Kessel.  If he toe drags like that on Chara , how is he going to hit his chest ?  This means Chara must use his knee on Kessel to get his chest.  Just making jokes but it's a fact.  I think even if Smith would have sunk his shoulder into the guys chest the other Smith would have been injured. Equipment is a big part of this problem and if that is not looked into we'll be hearing a lot of " Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan " Videos.
    Posted by BsLegion

Yah, he probably would have been injured, but it wouldn't be a hit to the head.

And it has probably happened, but I can't remember Chara delivering a blow to anyone's head and getting kicked out, so if Chara can reasonably control hits to the head, no excuse for anyone else.

o ha, there was that guy that Chara tapped and the guy couldn't keep his balance so he hit his head against the turnbuckle, but that wasn't a hit to the head.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Yah, he probably would have been injured, but it wouldn't be a hit to the head. And it has probably happened, but I can't remember Chara delivering a blow to anyone's head and getting kicked out, so if Chara can reasonably control hits to the head, no excuse for anyone else. o ha, there was that guy that Chara tapped and the guy couldn't keep his balance so he hit his head against the turnbuckle, but that wasn't a hit to the head.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Funny thing,  the same guys that called for Chara to get suspended this morning are saying maybe Smith should not get a huge suspension.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think the question that is central to this is how much contact was made.  I think one could argue that a "proper" hockey hit is one in which two guys are on trajectories that would have them occupy the same ice at the same time, and so they collide.  I don't see that happening here.  Smith 1 tries to get himself into Smith 2's space without moving his feet.  Sure, without the toe-drag it would have ended up a good hit, but it was there.

I think the likely message from Shanahan will be "If you can't fully hit the guy, you either have to let him go or take a less dangerous penalty (e.g. trip the guy).  If you will only be able to clip him, it won't end well."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't know Legion, I always see hits like this and think 'What ever happened to the hip check', or even the attept to take the core of the body.  I still looks like an attempt to go high -- head high -- to me.  I'll be fine with a suspension for that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't know Legion, I always see hits like this and think 'What ever happened to the hip check', or even the attept to take the core of the body.  I still looks like an attempt to go high -- head high -- to me.  I'll be fine with a suspension for that.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Or just playing the puck maybe... seriously, whatever happened to the pokecheck?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I think the question that is central to this is how much contact was made.  I think one could argue that a "proper" hockey hit is one in which two guys are on trajectories that would have them occupy the same ice at the same time, and so they collide.  I don't see that happening here.  Smith 1 tries to get himself into Smith 2's space without moving his feet.  Sure, without the toe-drag it would have ended up a good hit, but it was there. I think the likely message from Shanahan will be "If you can't fully hit the guy, you either have to let him go or take a less dangerous penalty (e.g. trip the guy).  If you will only be able to clip him, it won't end well."
    Posted by DrCC

Thing is if he had turned the hip into the check or squared his body he most likely lands a clean check. Players have been on a head hunting spree the last few years and they need to go back to landing body shots, not head shots.

I dont think the answer is to start taking more Hooking & Holding penalties but to have players start throwing hits in a less dangerous way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gj4sQ9Upnc

^ Clean hit in a very similar situation. Kampfer squares his body and does not clip Skinner's head.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re-watched the hit. He cuts across his body as the Hawk pulls the puck back, and two Wings are trailing the play. Smith has questionable puck control in that moment. If Smith on the Wings, puts his stick down  and plays the puck rather than go for the cheap hit, then the wings are breaking out back the other way in an odd-man rush.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJbKBZdsN4

If Paille got 4 for that hit, this one has to be 6-8 games as it was an intentional targeting of the head (while Paille's hit was partially body). He had enough speed to body check him or play the puck, he choose to go for the head.

The definition of a blindside hit, the only difference between this and the others is that the guy had the puck.

They really need to get rid of the instigator rule and make it so guys are worried about getting the snot kicked out of them over one of these hits.

Thank god Chara is one of the cleaner players, there could a death on the ice if not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think the part that bothers me about all this, is that the ones making these hits are... the players!  And whenever you see a guy go down with a headshot, post-game you see all the players making the "right comments", i.e. "we need to take these hits out of the game";  "you hate to see a player injured on a  hit like that"; etc. etc. And yet, where is the self-policing here? Where is the so-called "respect"?  After everything that happened last year, after all the focus on concussions, the long-term effects of CTE, and all the discussion in the off-season, what do we see this preseason?  An apparent "open season" attitude on head shots and boarding.  I know that players are trying to make their respective teams, but do they really think that by getting themselves suspended, that makes them more likely to crack the lineup?  If anything, a team's management would be taking the opposite attitude: "I don't want a guy who's going to run around making illegal hits and getting himself suspended for 20 games, while his salary counts against the cap".

I know the game happens quickly, and I would hope that players don't intentionally hit to injure, but I just don't understand how a player would even take a chance at hitting someone into the boards from behind, or not targeting the guy's chest on an open ice hit, rather than risking a headshot and a suspension. 

It reminds me of part of the rationale for a salary cap -- to at least attempt to keep stupid owners from shooting themselves in the foot with outrageous contracts to marginal players;  Shanahan's job is to protect the players from their own actions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by Fletcher1

I thought exactly the same after seeing the hit. Everyone wants to hit with the shoulder now even though the hip is far more effective in eliminating a player from the play. It's not as effective for hurting someone but it's the best way to stop a guys forward progress.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think the part that bothers me about all this, is that the ones making these hits are... the players!  And whenever you see a guy go down with a headshot, post-game you see all the players making the "right comments", i.e. "we need to take these hits out of the game";  "you hate to see a player injured on a  hit like that"; etc. etc. And yet, where is the self-policing here? Where is the so-called "respect"?  After everything that happened last year, after all the focus on concussions, the long-term effects of CTE, and all the discussion in the off-season, what do we see this preseason?  An apparent "open season" attitude on head shots and boarding.  I know that players are trying to make their respective teams, but do they really think that by getting themselves suspended, that makes them more likely to crack the lineup?  If anything, a team's management would be taking the opposite attitude: "I don't want a guy who's going to run around making illegal hits and getting himself suspended for 20 games, while his salary counts against the cap". I know the game happens quickly, and I would hope that players don't intentionally hit to injure, but I just don't understand how a player would even take a chance at hitting someone into the boards from behind, or not targeting the guy's chest on an open ice hit, rather than risking a headshot and a suspension.  It reminds me of part of the rationale for a salary cap -- to at least attempt to keep stupid owners from shooting themselves in the foot with outrageous contracts to marginal players;  Shanahan's job is to protect the players from their own actions.
    Posted by 49-North

It'll bother me more if I see a coach do it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The owners and the NHLPA put the screws behind closed doors (in separate meetings) on Bettman. Players are investments in the overall business of hockey this is why uppity bonehead is out and someone with common sense is in.

Who would of thought ? An ex-player, who isn't supposed to have any brains,  standing in front of a camera explaining and teaching as too why he made his decision instead of standing their all pompous, looking like a doof, acting like he needs to make no explanation.

Owners and the NHLPA win because players like Shelley have to find another way to make a living.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The owners and the NHLPA put the screws behind closed doors (in separate meetings) on Bettman. Players are investments in the overall business of hockey this is why uppity bonehead is out and someone with common sense is in. Who would of thought ? An ex-player, who isn't supposed to have any brains,  standing in front of a camera explaining and teaching as too why he made his decision instead of standing their all pompous, looking like a doof, acting like he needs to make no explanation. Owners and the NHLPA win because players like Shelley have to find another way to make a living.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Finally someone understands me with the Hello I'm ..... subject.
    Wait till he suspends one of the Bruins for what used to be a clean hit on a player that either was low , small or put his head down.  When this Bruin player gets 5-10 games let's see what a breathe of fresh air he is.
    I agree something has to be done but they still don't get it. Unless they ban the linebacker equipment there will always be an injury.
    Let's say Smith goes for a hip check (remember Brian Marchment or Kasparaitis or Ulf Samuelsson  ) at this speed , with those new pads they wear... It's good bye knees . Those also are career ending. Ask Cam Neely.
    There was a reason they used to call Ulf robo-cop. The equipment for damaging then imagine now.
    So all this to say Shanahan might be a breathe of fresh air but he will not be the solution.

Sections
Shortcuts