Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

This is gonna get alot of players into trouble even clean players. Problem players deal with is different heights of players and when players skate they skate bent over only making themselves more prone to head shots. If Chara went and laid a hit on Marchand for example, Charas elbow or even shoulder is at the same level of Marchand's head. So Chara laying a clean hit can be construed as a head shot. I dont know where this play calling is gonna go, but its gonna end badly for clean players, because of the situations the game and the speed of it, present....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Legion,

Agree on the lightweight plastic armor aspect of it. IMO It's become weaponry and causes more injuries than it prevents. Soft shoulder pads would go a long way towards cleaning up the devastation.

But regarding Shanny, when he comes for a Bruin, I'm confident he'll be fair...whether we like it or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....:
    [QUOTE]I think the part that bothers me about all this, is that the ones making these hits are... the players!  And whenever you see a guy go down with a headshot, post-game you see all the players making the "right comments", i.e. "we need to take these hits out of the game";  "you hate to see a player injured on a  hit like that"; etc. etc. And yet, where is the self-policing here? Where is the so-called "respect"?  After everything that happened last year, after all the focus on concussions, the long-term effects of CTE, and all the discussion in the off-season, what do we see this preseason?  An apparent "open season" attitude on head shots and boarding.  I know that players are trying to make their respective teams, but do they really think that by getting themselves suspended, that makes them more likely to crack the lineup?  If anything, a team's management would be taking the opposite attitude: "I don't want a guy who's going to run around making illegal hits and getting himself suspended for 20 games, while his salary counts against the cap". I know the game happens quickly, and I would hope that players don't intentionally hit to injure, but I just don't understand how a player would even take a chance at hitting someone into the boards from behind, or not targeting the guy's chest on an open ice hit, rather than risking a headshot and a suspension.  It reminds me of part of the rationale for a salary cap -- to at least attempt to keep stupid owners from shooting themselves in the foot with outrageous contracts to marginal players;  Shanahan's job is to protect the players from their own actions.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Which leaves me with a perfect segue to a question I have for you - don't you have a city that you need to burn down?

I mean really, talking about Shanahan and owners while the buildings of Vancouver are still intact.

You've got to straighten out your priorities.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

BadHab, as a Vancouverite as well, enough with the riot jokes. With the exception of the people actually involved, the entire city is embarrassed and appalled by what happened.

As for Shanny, 5 games for Smith sounds fair, but I'm looking forward to see him explain his reasoning in the video. Those explanation videos are one of the best ideas the front office has had in years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]BadHab, as a Vancouverite as well, enough with the riot jokes. With the exception of the people actually involved, the entire city is embarrassed and appalled by what happened. As for Shanny, 5 games for Smith sounds fair, but I'm looking forward to see him explain his reasoning in the video. Those explanation videos are one of the best ideas the front office has had in years.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I must say I still disagree with the 4 game suspension on Paille for that hit on Swobodwhatever-the-hell-his-name-is. Paille I think did a good job of coming back to try and get in front of him and he caught the guy leaning and looking down. He still managed to displace his primary point of contact to the entire front side of the guys body.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

So, is the 5 on Smith fair? I haven't seen it yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The "I'm Brendan Shanahan" video on this hit is out.  He explains it as being "reckless" and no matter if intentional or not since the head gets touched illegal.
    Whe the rule came out the first thing that crossed my mind was how are the 6ft5+ players in the NHL avoid getting suspended ?
    I'm expecting a lot of suspensions this season.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=125539

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Listened to Shanny's explanation, and it makes sense. Maybe he shoukd gotten on or two games less because he is not a repeat offender, but otherwise it seems fair.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Another one for Shanny ( B's Legion ) to decide on . Sorry no video found.

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/devils/board_with_it_a4a2lx1nDThj7jPwrI3s8K

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I actually thought 5 for Smith was a little light considering we've been seeing suspension for a lot less, and he did knock Smith out.  I was hoping something along the lines of 8ish, because even though Wisniewski got 8 and is considered a "repeat" offender, I thought Smiths hit was MUCH more violent, and did injure Smith.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Another one for Shanny ( B's Legion ) to decide on . Sorry no video found. http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/devils/board_with_it_a4a2lx1nDThj7jPwrI3s8K
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Here's another trick ,  the ol' turn your back on the boards and voila !  New era " the Un-touchables" .  
    I like the way the writer puts it "  Like giving out candy... "  
    Midway through the season we won't hear all the hockey journalists say that the players "just don't get it"  but how hitting in hockey is taking a turn .

BigVig,  Smith2 got hurt because of Smith1's shoulder pad.  It was not as vicious as all seem to think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

BadHab, as a Vancouverite as well, enough with the riot jokes. With the exception of the people actually involved, the entire city is embarrassed and appalled by what happened. As for Shanny, 5 games for Smith sounds fair, but I'm looking forward to see him explain his reasoning in the video. Those explanation videos are one of the best ideas the front office has had in years.
    Posted by red75

o ok all right.
    so it's going to be a kinder, gentler kind of a forum?
    Mike Milbury talks about the "pansification" of the NHL and now the forum is being "pansified", too?
    And for the record I WAS NOT recommending that the good citizens of Vancouver riot, they could just take the city apart by bulldozers or something in a peaceful, calm business like way.  It is time to start over, is it not?

Shanahan is HUGE improvement over Campbell, I'm sure Campbell used a random number generator to give suspensions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and tonight another suspension in the making.  Malone (Tampa) hit Campoli (Montreal) on what looked like a clean hit.  Campoli had the puck , head down and crunched down a little.  BUT hey, that's a vulnerable position !
    To avoid getting it midway in the season players will all have their heads down.
    Un-touchable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]and tonight another suspension in the making.  Malone (Tampa) hit Campoli (Montreal) on what looked like a clean hit.  Campoli had the puck , head down and crunched down a little.  BUT hey, that's a vulnerable position ! To avoid getting it midway in the season players will all have their heads down. Un-touchable.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    Yeah Legion, I'm not too crazy about some of the hits I'm seeing that are now deemed worthy of suspension.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Yeah Legion, I'm not too crazy about some of the hits I'm seeing that are now deemed worthy of suspension.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez,  it's nuts. I sure wanted hits like Cooke on Savvy out but now even of a player if down on his knees and get's hit it'll be a suspension due to his head being hit.
    3 out 4 nights there's been a suspension in pre-season.  I might be exaggerating but that's how it feels.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Dez,  it's nuts. I sure wanted hits like Cooke on Savvy out but now even of a player if down on his knees and get's hit it'll be a suspension due to his head being hit. 3 out 4 nights there's been a suspension in pre-season.  I might be exaggerating but that's how it feels.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    It sure seems that way to me too. Essentially, we're moving towards the international hockey rules where you can be penalized for hitting too hard. How the heck is Chara supposed to make a "clean" hit now?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I disagree dez. It'll be like what happened when we came out of the lockout with the clutching and grabbing rules. They'll enforce it like gangbusters until players get the message that you don't hit someone in the head, then they'll ease off. It's no tolerance for now. They'll adjust the calls later. Also, Chara has played  whole preseason and not been called on it yet, and I'm pretty sure he's thron a few hits so far. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : It sure seems that way to me too. Essentially, we're moving towards the international hockey rules where you can be penalized for hitting too hard. How the heck is Chara supposed to make a "clean" hit now?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

He can't hit.  I gave this example in this thread .
    Next on the list they remove fighting.  I'm not for the staged fight but to keep players honest I'm all for it otherwise we'll have 5ft9 guys running around cheap shotting all game long.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Legion, of coursse he can and he has. This is over enforcement to get the point across, players will adjust and it'll calm down. You remind me of the folks who said after the lockout that they'd destroyed the game. They didn't. It's still physical. Players will adjust, and Chara won't get a bunch of suspensions just because of his height.

Seriously, on this board when Savard got hit, everyone wanted to kill Cooke. Now they're taking steps to prevent what happened to Savard from happening again and you say they're killing the game. Makeup your mind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree dez. It'll be like what happened when we came out of the lockout with the clutching and grabbing rules. They'll enforce it like gangbusters until players get the message that you don't hit someone in the head, then they'll ease off. It's no tolerance for now . They'll adjust the calls later. Also, Chara has played  whole preseason and not been called on it yet, and I'm pretty sure he's thron a few hits so far. 
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Honestly Red, I don't remember seeing a Chara hit in this pre-season. I'm sure you're right though. He must've thrown at least 1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Legion, of coursse he can and he has. This is over enforcement to get the point across, players will adjust and it'll calm down. You remind me of the folks who said after the lockout that they'd destroyed the game. They didn't. It's still physical. Players will adjust, and Chara won't get a bunch of suspensions just because of his height. Seriously, on this board when Savard got hit, everyone wanted to kill Cooke. Now they're taking steps to prevent what happened to Savard from happening again and you say they're killing the game. Makeup your mind.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

This is not over enforcement . They're setting the guidelines , measure on suspensions, the bar.
    When a player does not have the puck or get's hit about 3secs after he got rid of it , I agree,  those hits needed to be removed.
    For the record after the lockout I was one saying it'll be a faster game and more hitting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Okay BL Shanny, rule on it.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/1063045--leaf-macarthur-suspended-for-late-hit

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And another one last night BL Shanny . Ruling please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp4UxGZaz-Q

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Okay BL Shanny, rule on it. http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/1063045--leaf-macarthur-suspended-for-late-hit

McArthur wanted hit to him, held up but still got a piece of him, a rub.  An interference penalty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]And another one last night BL Shanny . Ruling please. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp4UxGZaz-Q

Did Campoli crunch down low on purpose so he cannot get hit ?  Malone at that point is a giant next to Campoli therefore a hit that was supposed hit his chest got him up high.  Did he really hit his head or the slinging of head was due to the impact to his shoulder ?
    Campoli had the puck,  lost it ,  reached for it and got hit.  In reaching for the puck he gets down low .  In this occasion Malone has to sidestep him instead of trying to hit him and have Campoli start a rush up ice.