Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....:
    In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : McArthur wanted hit him, help up but still got a piece of him, a rub.  An interference penalty.
    Posted by BsLegion

Just a gentler version of the Cooke / Savard hit. From the side , directly at the head , suspension merited by the real Shanny , c'ya , no need for head shots at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Did Campoli crunch down low on purpose so he cannot get hit ?  Malone at that point is a giant next to Campoli therefore a hit that was supposed hit his chest got him up high.  Did he really hit his head or the slinging of head was due to the impact to his shoulder ? Campoli had the puck,  lost it ,  reached for it and got hit.  In reaching for the puck he gets down low .  In this occasion Malone has to sidestep him instead of trying to hit him and have Campoli start a rush up ice.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE

What's your verdict ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Just a gentler version of the Cooke / Savard hit. From the side , directly at the head , suspension merited by the real Shanny , c'ya , no need for head shots at all.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I was bugging you because I know how close you are to the Toronto media. That's what a Leafs fan will say. 
    Yes he did hit his head but look at the RedWing the way he sells it. Arms up in the air ... that I don't like.  We'll be seeing a lot of this. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... :
    In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Did Campoli crunch down low on purpose so he cannot get hit ?  Malone at that point is a giant next to Campoli therefore a hit that was supposed hit his chest got him up high.  Did he really hit his head or the slinging of head was due to the impact to his shoulder ? Campoli had the puck,  lost it ,  reached for it and got hit.  In reaching for the puck he gets down low .  In this occasion Malone has to sidestep him instead of trying to hit him and have Campoli start a rush up ice. Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE What's your verdict ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I need a better angle,  if he did hit his head he'll get 5 .  It's a rule.
    If he didn't touch his head , no games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

And another one last night BL Shanny . Ruling please. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp4UxGZaz-Q
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

So I was wrong.  No games for Malone. I still don't see an angle of him hitting Campoli's head but I could be wrong.
    Basically Shanahan did not want to suspend Malone for a player putting himself into harms way.   Campoli was low at the height of Malone's abdomen, how is an incoming player supposed to finish his hit ? He was even to for Malone to sink his should in his chest.
    I agree 100% with Shanny's rulings in the event to reduce and penalize head shots.  My only fear was players being suspended with hits that the opposing player help generate. Awareness is a huge aspect of the game and players must make themselves accountable , especially when the opposing player is in front of you.
    Safe hockey is not always the responsibility of the hitter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Oh boy I would hate to be a 9-1-1 operator in Montreal today!

Phone's gonna be a-buzzin'!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Malone on Campoli is my issue with the head-shots.  It shouldnt have to be a "clear cut" rule to suspend a guy, like Colin Campbells cop out on the Cooke hit.  Campoli was leaning forward, searching for the puck that just came off his stick.  Malone is heading straight at him, in front of him, where Campoli can see him and I think Campoli has as much responsibility there as Malone.  Malone is MUCH larger (something like 4 or 5 inches and 30+ lbs) and tucks his shoulder and drives straight through him from the front.  Whether or not the head is the initial or primary point of contact, thats a good hit given all the circumstances in my opinion.

I think this is where the controversy is going to come in:  Head hits are still going to happen, and some will get away with it.  If the guy getting hit can avoid or protect themselves from the hit, or is "at fault" in any way, shape or form, responsibility shouldn't rest solely on the hitter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Head hits are still going to happen, and some will get away with it."

Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Shanny's ruling will be ...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbkGSVXPh4

Edit : Just found this.

Pierre LeBrun
    League reviewed Ryan Smyth hit but decided NO further discipline warranted. So Captain Canada is ok :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Shanny's ruling will be ........... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbkGSVXPh4 Edit : Just found this.   Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun League reviewed Ryan Smyth hit but decided NO further discipline warranted. So Captain Canada is ok :)
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Wow, I saw what Smyth had done and immediately had flashbacks of watching old footage of Howe. He threw the elbow right into that guys face. Interesting it's one of Shanny's pals that gets to avoid suspension. Right or wrong, this decision shows there will always be some inconsistency in the decision process and that the possible appearance of impropriety hasn't vanished just because Campbell finally stepped down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

huh? just watched the video. if that is not "principle contact being to the head", what is? seriously, this wasn't a bang/bang play. this was a deliberate elbow to the head. seems pretty black and white, obviously not. has his explanation not to suspend been aired? love to hear it 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

huh? just watched the video. if that is not "principle contact being to the head", what is? seriously, this wasn't a bang/bang play. this was a deliberate elbow to the head. seems pretty black and white, obviously not. has his explanation not to suspend been aired? love to hear it 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Yep, obvious elbow to the kisser.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Shanny's ruling will be ........... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbkGSVXPh4 Edit : Just found this.   Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun League reviewed Ryan Smyth hit but decided NO further discipline warranted. So Captain Canada is ok :)
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Interesting on how they will rule on this one. Kunitz is the one trying to do the hitting and Smyth wants to protect himself (the wrong way though).
    Hit to head non-the -less. 
    Don't know what criteria Shanahan will use .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : Interesting on how they will rule on this one. Kunitz is the one trying to do the hitting and Smyth wants to protect himself (the wrong way though). Hit to head non-the -less.  Don't know what criteria Shanahan will use .
    Posted by BsLegion

I think I'm okay with this because it did not seem there was intent from either guy to hit the others guy's head (although both end up doing it).  Smyth already got a 5-minute major and the game.  That's enough for me.  No intent or targeting of the head there, although you are still responsible for your elbows.

To use the cliche that is a part of every incident now though; that is not the type of hit we are trying to get out of the game, and everyone was fine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : I think I'm okay with this because it did not seem there was intent from either guy to hit the others guy's head (although both end up doing it).  Smyth already got a 5-minute major and the game.  That's enough for me.  No intent or targeting of the head there, although you are still responsible for your elbows. To use the cliche that is a part of every incident now though; that is not the type of hit we are trying to get out of the game, and everyone was fine.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I have to respectfully disagree Fletch. That hit, to me, looked like one that has always been considered dirty. Like I mentioned earlier, that move was Howe's bread and butter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : I think I'm okay with this because it did not seem there was intent from either guy to hit the others guy's head (although both end up doing it).  Smyth already got a 5-minute major and the game.  That's enough for me.  No intent or targeting of the head there, although you are still responsible for your elbows. To use the cliche that is a part of every incident now though; that is not the type of hit we are trying to get out of the game, and everyone was fine.
    Posted by Fletcher1

This is why this case is interesting and can set the standards.
    Anxiously await Shan's decisions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Hello my name is Brendan Shanahan.... : I have to respectfully disagree Fletch. That hit, to me, looked like one that has always been considered dirty. Like I mentioned earlier, that move was Howe's bread and butter.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Interesting, it is kind of a different one.  Maybe I need to watch it again, because I only saw it from watching the game live.  My impression was that Smyth was caught by Kunitz somewhat unprepared and moved his arm up as a defensive gesture to protect himself.  Not saying that is okay, you're still responsible for your elbow, but I was thinking that the 5-minute major and the game was punishment enough.  He looked like he caught Kunitz's elbow and maybe his stick in his own face as well.

I think you're right that this one is all about intent.  If he saw Kunitz coming and did the Howe move, he deserves to be suspended.  But if he caught Kunitz with purely a defensive reaction, without intent, the on-ice call might be enough.

I need to see it again...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Shanny now spicing up his videos ?

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/10/12/video-bloge-salming-and-down-goes-browns-latest/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

this video will make BadHab happy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

16 days of collecting dust for this thread . Shanny , your ruling please ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Andy-Sutton-s-elbow-to-Landeskog-s-head-?urn=nhl-wp16098

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

16 days of collecting dust for this thread . Shanny , your ruling please ? http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Andy-Sutton-s-elbow-to-Landeskog-s-head-?urn=nhl-wp16098
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

He got his head. Hard not expect at least some punishment. Landeskog could've been seriously injured.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Carcillo hearing today. Surprised he lasted this long into the season.

Sections
Shortcuts