Help me understand this Rask thing, fellow Bs fans

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: Help me understand this Rask thing, fellow Bs fans

I'm not saying that lack of playing time is the reason, but if it were, I doubt Rask would admit it to the Media.

It is the same thing as last year, when the Bruins were playing awful in front of Thomas and great in front of Tuukka. Role reversal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

It seemed to me the B's had a bad start but it was almost to be expected. Rask made a few great saves on 2 breakaways but when he needed to make a big save he failed. The way the Bruins played he needed to be perfect for them to stay in the game. I thought when it was 2-1 they had a good chance to change the momentum but Rask had no chance on the third goal. He was at fault on 2 for sure and the team was terrible on all the other goals. They were slow and not picking up loose Red Wings. Just a cluster all the way around.

The way they played that game is what they need to get away from. It reminded me of game 5 against Buffalo last year in the playoff's. All teams have bad games but it's too frequent with the Bruins. Lack of intensity and complacency seems to me to be their biggest issues.

Rask is not going to be much help going forward. He looks shaky in just about all of his starts. How he gets his confidence back is the big question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

In Response to Re: Help me understand this Rask thing, fellow Bs fans:
    [QUOTE]Rask made a few great saves on 2 breakaways but when he needed to make a big save he failed.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

So the breakaway saves were not big saves then?  ;-)    Sorry... just being snarky!

The Wings were clearly the better team last night from the net all the way out.   Putting Thomas in versus Rask may have helped even out the goaltending matchup, but we were still outclassed by their forwards and defense.

The Wings have been playing poor of late and were called out by their coach.   They responded well on the road and will look to keep it up at home when they play the Bruins again.   The B's were coming off wins in 4 of their last 5 games and had a down game.   Hopefully Julien will light a fire in them for the next one so we can return the favor in their home rink... but it won't be easy.

I figured the B's would be 4 games over .500 in Feb and that 2 of the losses would be against Detroit.     There are a few teams in the West that I just don't see the B's being able to beat in a 7 game series (Wings, Kings, Canucks), so hopefully we don't have to meet them when we go to the finals this year!   :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Rask looks right now like he has zero confidence. Which is not surprising to me because CJ has showed zero confidence in him since the first game of the season.

If the coach & organization seem to have no confidence in you then you may start doubting yourself. The organization has handled there 2 best young assets this season terribly. Rask & Seguin have been held accountable much more then anyone else on that team. Both seem to be regressing as the season has progressed. Not a positive for CJ.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Some Tukka observations:

-Gives up goals early in game to put his team behind. Takes wind out of their sails.  Last night the team did play poorly but the B's looked good the first few shifts, then bang-TR gives up goals the first 2 shots???? C'mon!

-One problem that has plagued him ever since he came to Boston: he has an awful time playing the puck.  Even last season, he got burned some many times when he tried to play the puck.

-I hope he is the goalie of the future, but i'd be open to all deals for him right now...

-I'd be careful to praise this guy for stopping a breakaway or two after letting in a few softies.  Watch any NHL game on tv and you'll see plenty of goalies stop an occassional breakaway.  TR's game is INCONSISTENT this season.  From the season opener, he clearly wasn't ready to be THE GUY.

-TT had a hip injury last season that slowed him, so to say their positions are switched from last year is a stretch.  There is nothing that is slowing down TR right now except his own reflexes... I hope the 'goalie of the future' drinks some Moxie to snap himself out of it!!!

I am not concerned about the future- the time is NOW for this team.  The have the talent to make a deal and a run for the first Cup of my lifetime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

how is julien responsible for ruining rask? tt is having the best season statistically in the modern era. what's julien supposed to do, give rask half the starts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

At the beginning of the season I got hammered on this board for suggesting that Rask still needed to compete with TT for his starting job. I was told by several that Tuukka, a kid with barely a season's experience behind him, was NHL ready and could carry the team. Of course, in hindsight that was just plain ridiculous.

I still think Rask is a rising star and not a Blaine Lacher / Mike Moffat type. He just has too much talent. It's likely just a case of sophmore struggles. Other teams have looked at tape and adjusted and Rask needs to re-adjust. he'll get both his game and confidence back I'm confident but for now Thomas is the team's superstar.

I know it's too late to say this but I always felt Thomas still had a lot of Vezina left in him. I also don't think he will peter out with advancing age and not be worth his contract. He is a steal and will likely play well all the way through the remainder of his contract. I don't even bother reading all the Thomas bashing here anymore; it's just laughable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Any player NEEDS to play to retain/develop his skills[COACH-1]. To put Tuuka in against Detroit was not the best choice[ COACHJ-2] To play Thornton rather than Seguin against a speedy, smart team like Detroit[ COACH-3] To decide to put REX on the point against a speedy, smart team [COACH-4]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Last year it was the other way around.  It's all in the head...maybe he should play more but he also has to do a better job staying focussed when no playing....that is why they practice right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Look at Price,  last season didn't play much and when he did was not very good.  Look at him this season.
    If you're talented ,  it's like riding a bike,  you don't lose your skill.
    If Rask is to be the Bruins future he just needs to keep working at getting better with the goalie coaches and try to stay sharp.  His time will come.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins09. Show bruins09's posts

Rask sucks! Period.

[QUOTE]Look at Price,  last season didn't play much and when he did was not very good.  Look at him this season. If you're talented ,  it's like riding a bike,  you don't lose your skill. If Rask is to be the Bruins future he just needs to keep working at getting better with the goalie coaches and try to stay sharp.  His time will come.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me understand this Rask thing, fellow Bs fans : So the breakaway saves were not big saves then?  ;-)    Sorry... just being snarky! The Wings were clearly the better team last night from the net all the way out.   Putting Thomas in versus Rask may have helped even out the goaltending matchup, but we were still outclassed by their forwards and defense. The Wings have been playing poor of late and were called out by their coach.   They responded well on the road and will look to keep it up at home when they play the Bruins again.   The B's were coming off wins in 4 of their last 5 games and had a down game.   Hopefully Julien will light a fire in them for the next one so we can return the favor in their home rink... but it won't be easy. I figured the B's would be 4 games over .500 in Feb and that 2 of the losses would be against Detroit.     There are a few teams in the West that I just don't see the B's being able to beat in a 7 game series (Wings, Kings, Canucks), so hopefully we don't have to meet them when we go to the finals this year!   :-)
    Posted by Homebrew76[/QUOTE]

Agree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]It seemed to me the B's had a bad start but it was almost to be expected. Rask made a few great saves on 2 breakaways but when he needed to make a big save he failed. The way the Bruins played he needed to be perfect for them to stay in the game. I thought when it was 2-1 they had a good chance to change the momentum but Rask had no chance on the third goal. He was at fault on 2 for sure and the team was terrible on all the other goals. They were slow and not picking up loose Red Wings. Just a cluster all the way around. The way they played that game is what they need to get away from. It reminded me of game 5 against Buffalo last year in the playoff's. All teams have bad games but it's too frequent with the Bruins. Lack of intensity and complacency seems to me to be their biggest issues. Rask is not going to be much help going forward. He looks shaky in just about all of his starts. How he gets his confidence back is the big question.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

its pretty hard to get your confidence back when you play once every 10-12 days and when you do the team sucks in front of you and the coach yanks you out. he needs consistent playing time thats the only way to get the confidence back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Help me understand this Rask thing, fellow Bs fans:[QUOTE]Any player NEEDS to play to retain/develop his skills[COACH-1]. To put Tuuka in against Detroit was not the best choice[ COACHJ-2] To play Thornton rather than Seguin against a speedy, smart team like Detroit[ COACH-3] To decide to put REX on the point against a speedy, smart team [COACH-4] Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Nothing more to add to this^!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Wait. More time in net for bad play? What would the B's record be if Thomas and Rask got equal playing time? Me thinks we'd be looking up at the Habs in the NE and Taz would be posting every freakin' day! No thanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Tuuka needs a few starts in a row. Problem is you have to sit the best goalie in the NHL this year to accomadate that. So, Julien has to pick his spots, a game versus the Isles etc or a game after the Bruins played bad. It's tough when your a young goalie who has been starting for virtually his whole career to now become a back up.

Tough to blame Tuuka for last nights game, Boston played terrible and detroit played their best game in a month. The Bertuzzi goal was a clear sign of a goalie struggling with himself and fighting the puck. So much of goaltending is mental/confidence. The only thing I can compare it to is your golf game. When your mentally struggling everything seems to snowball until you finally just go back to the drawing board. I'm sure he's going to have a good 1 on 1 session with essensa, to right the ship...
    While Tuuka hasn't gotten into the groove he would like, The B's have played their worst games of the season in front of him.
    He'll be fine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I think it's an age and experience thing.  It must be hard to be a back-up goalie in the NHL.  You sit and then are expected to be razor sharp now.  Skaters aren't held to that standard.  Those coming off injury need a few games to get their legs back and start seeing the game at full speed.  Rask has been a starter his whole life (likely) and is just not used to this role.  I think a lot of young goalies struggle as backups.  The best back-ups, Auld is a good example, have the experience and have learned how to be ready when they are called into action.  I'm not worried.  He has time to get his game back.  TT will be good for at least a couple more years.  Look at the bright side...Rask's next contact won't be nearly as big as it looked like it might be last year.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]how is julien responsible for ruining rask? tt is having the best season statistically in the modern era. what's julien supposed to do, give rask half the starts?
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Simply stated and 100% correct. Shouldn't be anything else to discuss here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hard to defend a guy who hasn't helped his team win...also, don't understand after 3 months of watching him do zero as a backup they don't get a 3rd goalie and healthy scratch Tuuka...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you were looking for one of the two goaltenders to step up, maybe you worry about trying to find the formula for Rask to get his game back to a high level.  But you don't have either that pressing need or that luxury.  Rask is like many goalies who excel based on talent rather than technique.  When they're the man, they're great.  When they're the back-up, they struggle to let the game come to them.  The Bertuzzi goals were both of the variety that show a goaltender pressing to be great again.  He'll work through it, but there's no pressing reason for the team to risk four or five games in a row - especially risking Thomas cooling off (you know, and giving up six goals) - just to get their back-up playing like a starter.

And the team seems wound up when Tukka's in, too.  I don't think it's that they don't trust him - more that they really want to get him out of the doldrums.  That's when they get caught sagging back or chasing guys all over the ice. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Wasn't everyone, yours' truly excepted, ready to trade TT and annoint Rask as the Next Great One? Didn't everyone, yours' truly excepted, think that Rask had achieve a level of greatness during just one season, and one okay post-season.

It is funny how fickle you fans are.

He needs a few games in net. But BB is right. Are you going to risk cooling TT off for him to find his game. Not likely.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]Look at Price,  last season didn't play much and when he did was not very good.  Look at him this season. If you're talented ,  it's like riding a bike,  you don't lose your skill. If Rask is to be the Bruins future he just needs to keep working at getting better with the goalie coaches and try to stay sharp.  His time will come.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Well said. (THOMAS was washed up last year as well!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I think that the team, especially the defense, has a hard time adjusting to the different styles of the two goalies.  Thomas is a battler, and does everything possible to clear the puck away from the slot area after he makes a stop.  Rask is all about conservation of motion, and lets the puck hit him and sit where it falls, depending on the defense to clear it away from the slot.  The defense acts surprised that the puck is just sitting there in the slot, and are often beaten to the puck by their opponent.  When the opponent passes the puck to a teammate at the side of the crease, it is often an easy tap-in goal to beat Rask before he can reposition himself.

Couple that with the fact that the team has a problem with sluggish starts.  Thomas regularly bails the team out while they get their legs under them in the first ten minutes of the game.  When Rask doesn't match Thomas' early-game heroics, the team falls behind early and spends the rest of the game playing catch-up hockey.  That means taking more chances, which inevitably leads to more odd man rushes against Rask.  In short, Thomas covers up for deficiencies in the team that Rask does not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]I think that the team, especially the defense, has a hard time adjusting to the different styles of the two goalies.  Thomas is a battler, and does everything possible to clear the puck away from the slot area after he makes a stop.  Rask is all about conservation of motion, and lets the puck hit him and sit where it falls, depending on the defense to clear it away from the slot.  The defense acts surprised that the puck is just sitting there in the slot, and are often beaten to the puck by their opponent.  When the opponent passes the puck to a teammate at the side of the crease, it is often an easy tap-in goal to beat Rask before he can reposition himself. Couple that with the fact that the team has a problem with sluggish starts.  Thomas regularly bails the team out while they get their legs under them in the first ten minutes of the game.  When Rask doesn't match Thomas' early-game heroics, the team falls behind early and spends the rest of the game playing catch-up hockey.  That means taking more chances, which inevitably leads to more odd man rushes against Rask.  In short, Thomas covers up for deficiencies in the team that Rask does not.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Very well said and I agree 100%.

Sections
Shortcuts