Hemsky - Penner Trade Rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hemsky - Penner Trade Rumors

Hemsky, Penner trade bait?

Veteran Oilers forwards drawing interest from around league

Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, absolutely looking for a top-six forward after taking a wild swing at Ilya Kovalchuk and fortunately striking out considering how little bang-for-the-buck the Devils are getting from Kovy in New Jersey, was likely watching Ales Hemsky and Dustin Penner as much as his own guys when he dropped by Rexall Place a few days ago.

JEFF GROSS, GETTY IMAGES Edmonton Oilers Dustin Penner, left, and Ales Hemsky put the squeeze on the Ducks’ Saku Koivu at the Honda Center on Jan. 16 in Anaheim, Calif.

It’s no secret the Edmonton Oilers are sellers with the trade deadline three weeks away.

Would they deal Hemsky or Penner, who both become unrestricted free agents in July 2012? Oilers GM Steve Tambellini steadfastly won’t talk about any single player. But why wouldn’t they be in play? There are precious few untouchables on a 30thplace team. Start with Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi. Throw in Ryan Whitney on defence, maybe rookie blue-liner Jeff Petry, too, who looks like a keeper. Shawn Horcoff’s contract (three years after this at a $5.5-million cap hit) makes him untradeable, same with goalie Nikolai Khabibulin (two more years at $3.75 million for a 38-year-old). Maybe Tom Gilbert’s as well (three more years at a $4-million cap hit). They likely wouldn’t want to move an improving and abrasive Theo Peckham because other teams are noticing the strides he’s made, or Devan Dubnyk in net because they see Dubnyk as a No. 1 in fairly short order. He’s going to get more starts over the last 30 instead of one out of every three or so.

“Devan’s really stepped up (with management) and in his teammates’ minds,” said Tambellini.

But everybody else could be had. Teams are sniffing around Ladislav Smid because they think he might need a change of scenery and everybody’s looking for defenders. Winger Linus Omark, who might not be able to crack the top six here with Eberle returning, is getting considerable interest. Would the Oilers be interested in Nashville defenceman Jonathan Blum, their 2007 first-rounder, for Omark? Maybe. The Predators are deep on blue-liners.

“I think Omark is better than (Jiri) Hudler,’ said one NHL pro scout.

They’ve got some UFA’s like Jim Vandermeer on defence. Maybe a team would take him as a No. 7, although until Friday’s first fight of the season with Cam Janssen, scouts have wondered where his abrasiveness has gone. And Jason Strudwick might be useful as an insurance blueliner. Presumably they tried to move disturber Zack Stortini before putting him on waivers. Ryan Jones is also an UFA, but he’s a valuable third/ fourth-liner. It’s no secret the Oilers were offering just about everybody to get a shot at big Portland Winterhawks centre Ryan Johansen, the second-best junior to Kings prospect Brayden Schenn on Canada’s world team this past Christmas. Hemsky’s name came up, then.

“It wasn’t a shot in the dark. But there was no wavering from teams who wanted to keep the pick in a deep draft,” said Tambellini, who watched Columbus pick him fourth.

If the Oilers are doing their due diligence, they’re asking the agents for Hemsky and Penner if they want to be part of the rebuild while in the prime of their careers, both in their late 20s? Whichever one drags his feet and says ‘I’ll have to think about it,’ you would think that player would be on the trade block. If not now, then at the draft because Tambellini certainly would like to get another first-round draft pick.

“We’ve talked about the abilities of players, but we also need to know if (older) players have a desire to be an Oiler as we stick to our game plan (rebuilding),” said Tambellini, who doesn’t want either Hemsky or Penner going into their last year with UFA status staring the team in the face. They don’t want either guy walking away for free. And you seldom get full value when you trade a player at the deadline in the final season of his long-term contract. You get quantity but not quality. So, this is crunch time for the Oilers.

They can decide to keep both longterm if both are amenable to signing on, again. Personally, I’d try to lock up Hemsky, who is their answer to the Colorado Avalanche’s Milan Hejduk, for another five years at $5.25 million a season (he makes a $4.1-million cap hit now). Penner isn’t a world-class player like Hemsky who would have been on the Czechs Olympic squad in 2010 if he hadn’t t had shoulder surgery. But he’s a 2530 goal-scorer and when he’s motivated (wouldn’t it be nice if he had the same fire as Johan Franzen?) he’s very tough to handle. I would offer him three years.

The Oilers would certainly get more for Hemsky. Sources say the Predators are hot to trot, as well, and if they were willing to give up Canadian national junior team captain/defenceman Ryan Ellis and a first-rounder, the Oilers should listen. If the Kings were interested, I’d ask for a first-round draft pick and Wayne Simmonds, a diamond in the rough forward even if he’s having a rough season. Heck, I’d see if they want to deal Jarret Stoll back for his faceoff ability, if nothing else. The Oilers could use a defenceman, but the early reports are lukewarm on Eberle’s former Regina Pats teammate defenceman Colten Teubert, a Kings first-round pick in 2008 who’s on the Kings’ American Hockey League farm club.

He’s aggressive but has lots to learn.

“He gets lost when the puck’s being cycled,” said one longtime Western Conference observer.

The Kings were sniffing around Brad Richards after last season, then got after Kovalchuk, but he was too rich for their blood. They’ve got four forwards for the top two lines — Ryan Smyth, Anze Kopitar, ◗ Dustin Brown and Justin Williams — but they definitely could use some speed there which would seem to militate against Penner. Kopitar needs a shooter on his winger, however. Hemsky is a playmaker, but he backs people off with his moves. “We go through the teams, just as you (media) do. You put checks beside players who might be available,” said Lombardi.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: Hemsky - Penner Trade Rumors

The NSH. Preds. are looking at Hemsky but they want a player with Ryan Ellis to talk trade option. The NYR Rangers are looking for a d man. Trade deadline the most common position will be d men on the move. Kaberle Commodore Phillips
      Mccabe Beauchemin Souray(long shot) Gonchar and possibility for the Bruins is Stuart Ferrence or Boychuk.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Please please please no Penner.  They guy does not show every game !
      Isn't that the biggest criticism on these boards ?  Players that don't perform on a nightly basis. He's big and soft.
      What do you think they want in return ?  and please don't say Ryder , Wheeler...
      As for Hemsky I was mixed feeling with him .  My biggest fear is he's injury prone.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Penner in Boston would be a perfect fit

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I've never really seen Hemsky play that much. Maybe one of you could enlighten me on his style of play. That being said, looking at his stat sheet, he seems to be an overpaid/overrated player that is injury prone.

Penner, on the other hand, is a legit 25-30 goal scorer with great size. Then again, I've never really seen him play much. If one of you could enlighten me on his style of play (hopefully he uses his size unlike a softy like Wheeler), it'd be greatly appreciated.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

BS,

Since MacT called out Penner he has been a better player.  Lets look at the PROS
      -30 Goal scorer
      -PP guy
      -PK guy(lazy players do not get PK time).
      -Top line winger
      -It would give us a huge 1-2 punch down low with Lucic and Penner.
      -He is fast for his size.
      -signed on for next year as well
      -reasonable contract
      -healthy track record

CONS
      -has been labeled lazy
      -not very physical

To me the PROS out weigh the CONS.  I am sure there are more for each list but I believe he is an ideal fit.

What does Edmonton need besides a top line center?  DMen.  Why not pkg Stuart who would be a top for for them and a 2nd round pick.

Penner would help this team big time.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Penner is like Todd Bertuzzi... either an absolute force or totally uninterested.
      Hemsky is like ... I don't know who he's like. He has a Kovalev skill level, totally out of this world, but he is very individual. He is so skilled he has never had anybody that he has been able to play with in Edmonton.
      I do like Hemsky, he is probably one of the 3 most RAW TALENTED guys in the league. Penner's lazy, another Ryder IMO.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i don't know much about Penner except for what I've read about not living up to his contract. Does that mean another Michael Ryder??

savy,

Penner kills penalties.  Lazy players are not asked to kill pims.  Just b.c he isnt hammering people like Lucic doesnt mean he doesnt care.  He was pretty impressive in the Ducks cup run.  He is good for almost 30 goals a year.  He has size and works down low very very well...better than anyone on our roster.  he is never injured.  He isnt a negative force on a team. 

Personally I can't think of a better fit of all those available.  he sorta reminds me of the play of Glen Murray.  Big guy who isnt physical but can score.
      PP/PK and a 30 goal guy.  Sign me up

bogie,

that was when MacT was coaching.  He plays all situations and will be near 30 goals on the year. 

He is twice the player Horton is by the way.  in fact I would trade them 1 for 1 in a minute

In Response to Re: Hemsky - Penner Trade Rumors:
      He is twice the player Horton is by the way.  in fact I would trade them 1 for 1 in a minute
      Posted by shuperman

Don't just watch the box score, I am a season ticket holder in Edmonton and watch Penner all the time. He get 30 goals but he gets them in 20 games. He is invisible the rest of the time. He is also the type of guys fans and teammates get sick of because he's always doggin' it. Don't get me wrong, like I said he can be a force like Bertuzzi was, but It doesn't come out on a regular basis...like Ryder.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I've never really seen Hemsky play that much. Maybe one of you could enlighten me on his style of play. That being said, looking at his stat sheet, he seems to be an overpaid/overrated player that is injury prone. Penner, on the other hand, is a legit 25-30 goal scorer with great size. Then again, I've never really seen him play much. If one of you could enlighten me on his style of play (hopefully he uses his size unlike a softy like Wheeler), it'd be greatly appreciated.
      Posted by Hockguy0818

Here's my take:

I am a fan. Incredibly gifted passer with great vision. He almost plays like a Centerman on the Wing.

Finesse player.

Would immediately upgrade both the PP, goal scoring on whatever lined he played on here, and be able to set up people from the wing position, which is soomething this team sorely lacks.

They have too many Ryder/Horton types who only bother trying to get the perfect set up in the slot.

Negatives:

Does have some injury history.  Isn't known for top notch defense.

He's sort of like a poor man's Adam Oates who plays Wing.  That's a compliment because Oates may have been the most underrated forward of the last 30 years.

Also, I don't feel he is overpaid. He plays on a team that is rebuilding which has struggled to maintain it's other talent for years now.  Same story.

Jaret Stoll left, Raffi Torres was sold off, etc.   They are behind the 8 ball more so than Vancouver and Calgary in terms of the Canadian dollar and how those franchises have been able to manage their personnel.

Edmonton has started their rebuilding.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Shup, what would be a legitimate package to get Penner, if in fact he is available. Perhaps, they could take Wheeler along with other pieces (picks, prospects, players, etc.) givent he fact that they need big centres (which he is, and has played better at Centre than on the wing, imo), they are rebuilding and want young players (which he is), and is under contract (he is an RFA, but Edmonton is like 10-12M or so under the cap).

Perhaps Wheeler/Boston 1st Round (24th-25th Overall...in that range), Boston's 2nd Round pick, and maybe something else (prospect/player?)?

Help me out here. Thanks.

Hemsky on the other hand has skill to spare. He get a bad rap for being soft, but I'll tell you he doen't shy away from contact. He takes some huge hits to make plays. Just watch some of his collisions with Regher in Calgary.
      Hemsky can make NHLers look like 12 year old with his moves, but like I said he is hard to read because he's never played with a Krejci, Bergeron, ETC. He has always had to play with Horcoff. Nothing against Horc, but he ain't no Krejci!! 

I'd trade Wheeler and Stuart for Hemsky and a pick (or a 7th D-man like Vandermeer or Strudwick). Hemsky is signed for 1 more year after this one at 4.1 million.

In Response to Re: Hemsky - Penner Trade Rumors : Here's my take: I am a fan. Incredibly gifted passer with great vision. He almost plays like a Centerman on the Wing. Finesse player. Would immediately upgrade both the PP, goal scoring on whatever lined he played on here, and be able to set up people from the wing position, which is soomething this team sorely lacks. They have too many Ryder/Horton types who only bother trying to get the perfect set up in the slot. Negatives: Does have some injury history.  Isn't known for top notch defense. He's sort of like a poor man's Adam Oates who plays Wing.  That's a compliment because Oates may have been the most underrated forward of the last 30 years. Also, I don't feel he is overpaid. He plays on a team that is rebuilding which has struggled to maintain it's other talent for years now.  Same story. Jaret Stoll left, Raffi Torres was sold off, etc.   They are behind the 8 ball more so than Vancouver and Calgary in terms of the Canadian dollar and how those franchises have been able to manage their personnel. Edmonton has started their rebuilding.
      Posted by BBReigns

Your absolutely bang on. Well said. I'd take Hemmer over Penner anyday and the Oilers are looking for big skilled wingers (wheeler) and physical D-Men (stuart), I think this deal could be put together.

Hockey- I don't think it would take that much.  For edmonton I look at what they need.  They need top line centers. We have none to spare.  They need top 4 dmen.  So my rationale is Stuart and a 2nd rounder.  We may need to part with our 1st rounder.  But Stuart would be a nice young valuable blueliner for them.  Stuart kinda reminds me of Scott Stevens in his young days, hit, fight play solid in his end.  I think Stuart and a 2nd round pick is enough.  The only flaw to this is that he isnt a rental only and thats why we may have to include our 1st rounder.  Thats my take.

savy- Hemsky has skill to burn and is amazing to watch.  I think he is a better fit than Penner for the PP but the overall pkg and durability isnt the same.  I don't wanna get him and have him go down in a week. 

Hockey- I don't think it would take that much.  For edmonton I look at what they need.  They need top line centers. We have none to spare.  They need top 4 dmen.  So my rationale is Stuart and a 2nd rounder.  We may need to part with our 1st rounder.  But Stuart would be a nice young valuable blueliner for them.  Stuart kinda reminds me of Scott Stevens in his young days, hit, fight play solid in his end.  I think Stuart and a 2nd round pick is enough.  The only flaw to this is that he isnt a rental only and thats why we may have to include our 1st rounder.  Thats my take. savy- Hemsky has skill to burn and is amazing to watch.  I think he is a better fit than Penner for the PP but the overall pkg and durability isnt the same.  I don't wanna get him and have him go down in a week. 
      Posted by shuperman

I hear ya, but the one thing this team lacks is a truely gifted out of this world talent, and if it didn't cost too much I'd pull the trigger. Penner IMO is just another lug, and believe me, you should hear the fans in the stands, he drives 'em crazy. Too soft for his size. We already have enough of that.

Hemsky on the other hand has skill to spare. He get a bad rap for being soft, but I'll tell you he doen't shy away from contact. He takes some huge hits to make plays. Just watch some of his collisions with Regher in Calgary. Hemsky can make NHLers look like 12 year old with his moves, but like I said he is hard to read because he's never played with a Krejci, Bergeron, ETC. He has always had to play with Horcoff. Nothing against Horc, but he ain't no Krejci!!  I'd trade Wheeler and Stuart for Hemsky and a pick (or a 7th D-man like Vandermeer or Strudwick). Hemsky is signed for 1 more year after this one at 4.1 million.
      Posted by savybergy77

I'd rather keep Stuart. I think he's very, very good.  Maybe they'd bite on McQuaid?

I like McQuaid too, but I'd prefer to keep Stuart.

Hemsky would immediately upgrade this team's PP from the sidewall. He can handle that Savard spot on the boards and set up people up from his natural wing position.

This team isn't going anywhere without an improved Power Play.  It hurt them last year and it will burn them again.

What we saw on Saturday against SJ is what will happen in the playoffs.

They need wing production and they could also use a puck moving D man.

I would rank these needs 1 and 2.

savy- I live in Canada and get the NHL pkg and love watching the Oilers.  Yes Penner has the occasional night when he isnt on.  But he is a consistant 25 plus goal guy and is very very durable.  On pure skill Hemsky wins.  On every other aspect I take Penner.  Again, he kills pims, gets PP time and is a big body on the 1st line.  Hemsky is a wiz though...if he would only shoot more and stay healthy I would side with you on this.
      Krejci/Horton/Penner
      Bergie/Lucic/Marchand

Thats a nice top 2

They need a boost from the wing position, though.

Penner doesn't upgrade, in my opinion. There is no dynamic infusion with him. In fact, he screams classic Sinden/O'Connell type of a sell job for an acquisiton at the deadline.

They'll try to sell that as a slam dunk acquistion when in reality it's a lateral move.

Think Eric Weinrich on D at the 2002 deadline or Michael Nylander at Center in 2004.

It's good, but it's not really a dynamic enough move. How many more years is this organization going to be conservative and milk out another year of our lives?

I mean, seriously. You now have cap space to improve a weakness.You also have good prospects to move and two 1st rd picks.

No excuses to not plot out an effective move.

They need a guy who strikes fear into teams coming down the wing, into the zone, who can make the other players look better than they are.

Penner won't do that.

I'd rather see something like this:

Hemsky Kreicji Horton
      Lucic Bergeron Ryder
      Marchand Campbell (gotta move him up) Recchi
      Thornton Seguin Caron/Paille

Admittedly, I wouldn't know where to put Ryder.  He can't really be on the checking line, so I guess they have to keep hoping he can stay warm on the second line.  Wheeler has to be on the block, though.

I really like this kind of a 3rd line.  You put Marchand and Campbell out there and they'll just buzz around annoying the other team's top lines.

Plus, you get some production offensively there.

It ruins the 4th line chemistry that has been built, but with Savard's injury, you have no real choice but to move Campbell up.   Seguin isn't a checking centerman and it's too much responsibility for a legit playoff team.

Get him to play clean on the 4th line and hope for the best.

The sooner they can make a deal, the better the tean will be.  Don't wait if you can avoid it.  Make a swift deal quietly and settle the lines down.

In Response to Re: Hemsky - Penner Trade Rumors : I'd rather keep Stuart. I think he's very, very good.  Maybe they'd bite on McQuaid? I like McQuaid too, but I'd prefer to keep Stuart. Hemsky would immediately upgrade this team's PP from the sidewall. He can handle that Savard spot on the boards and set up people up from his natural wing position. This team isn't going anywhere without an improved Power Play.  It hurt them last year and it will burn them again. What we saw on Saturday against SJ is what will happen in the playoffs. They need wing production and they could also use a puck moving D man. I would rank these needs 1 and 2.
      Posted by BBReigns

Excellent analysis. I also think Stuart's upside is greater than McQuaid but for some reason has fallen out of favor.

I think it's just a matter of McQuaid not losing his job. Credit to McQuaid.

Or, maybe they are trying to showcase him as an incredibly cheap, steady, proven 5th or 6th D Man for some team that has an injury issue.

My lines with Hemsky:

Lucic     Krejci       Hemsky
      Recchi   Bergeron   Marchand (gotta keep this line together)
      Caron    Seguin      Horton (give Seguin a chance with a regular skillled line)
      Thornton Campbell  Ryder/Paille  (Ryder drives me nuts)

I could live with either but I would take the one who dominated a cup run and has a ring and plays in almost everygame.  Hemsky is a wiz with the puck.  I actually LOL when he has it.  Looks like its his and no one else can touch it.

And personally I don't like the big flashy lights moves.  They normally don't pan out.  I would almost rather a quiet move like Andrew Burnette and upgrade our top 4 dmen. 

Sections
    Shortcuts