Here's what B's should do...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Re: Here's what B's should do...

My thoughts are that we need a puck moving defenseman.  Havlat is soft and gets injured too much.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from roydelaney. Show roydelaney's posts

A puck moving defenceman?   Like Kampfer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The B;s will be exposed again if they don't add a winger that can score.  There will be guys available from all the basement teams.  I personally think Penner would look good.  He seems to have taken off again.  He is a good fit in the East as well.  
    Someone mentioned Andy Greene and I will also mention Colin White.
    They need two moves.
    1. Scoring Winger- Penner
    2. Top 4 DMan- Greene or White

Yes some money would need to go the other way in terms of a contract.  Not sure what the cap situation is like at the moment. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You had me until "Chris Neil".  The B's don't need any fourth line players.

Havlat:  Any reason Minnesota would trade their #1 point scorer and first line winger?

Who are you going to give them?  Hamill AND Wheeler?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Pitt/Philly/Wash are all going to be active.  Philly is likely the most complete team minus a true #1 goalie.  Pitt is my pick to win the cup again...they know they need a scorer for Sid.  They will find him a winger.  I can actually see them landing Iggy in a deal that may send Staal the other way. 
    Wash will be in on everyone.  They need a second line center...they need another top 4 dman and I wouldnt be surprised to see them go after a top goalie either.  Washington has cap space as well. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Not-A-Shot,

You are a negative nelly. Neil is not a fourth line player, like I said he does bring grit, energy and plays with heart, something this team needs. He can put the puck in the net too. Havlat would be a nice fit here too and assuming Minnesota falls out of the race, I'm sure they'd entertain offers, I don't think they view him as a long term answer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

NAS: Generally, you're "Why would X team do this" argument is persuasive. Not in the case of Minny and Havlat: Oft-injured, soft forward who has only ever had one 70+ point season, is not defensively great, and makes $5 million. I'd be looking to ditch that if I could. As a rival GM, I would not want any part of that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espo72. Show Espo72's posts

As a B's fan living in Ottawa, I've seen Neil alot and he's not what we need. From Ottawa, I'd take Mike Fisher before anyone else on that team

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Here's what B's should do...:
    Not-A-Shot, You are a negative nelly. Neil is not a fourth line player,like I said he does bring grit, energy and plays with heart, something this team needs. He can put the puck in the net too. Havlat would be a nice fit here too and assuming Minnesota falls out of the race, I'm sure they'd entertain offers, I don't think they view him as a long term answer.
    Posted by kelvana33

Saying that Neil is a 4th line player for the Senators is a statement that is pretty well bang on considering he is 10th in TOI/game amongst the forwards.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20112OTTSASAll&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Yeah, Neil really isn't a shadow of the player he used to be and he was never that good. Average player with significant toughness at his best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Drew Stafford, he may not make our lineup, but at least he won't score on us anymore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS: Generally, you're "Why would X team do this" argument is persuasive. Not in the case of Minny and Havlat: Oft-injured, soft forward who has only ever had one 70+ point season, is not defensively great, and makes $5 million. I'd be looking to ditch that if I could. As a rival GM, I would not want any part of that.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Havlat played 81 games two years ago, 73 last year and hasn't missed on this year.  He leads the team in points, is 29 years old and is signed to a more than reasonable dollar amount considering production.

Your 70-point-season argument is a joke.  He had 31 goals and 37 assists one year.  Yeah, that's not 70 points, but are you telling me that has little value?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Here's what B's should do... : Havlat played 81 games two years ago, 73 last year and hasn't missed on this year.  He leads the team in points, is 29 years old and is signed to a more than reasonable dollar amount considering production. Your 70-point-season argument is a joke.  He had 31 goals and 37 assists one year.  Yeah, that's not 70 points, but are you telling me that has little value?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

$5 million for a guy who has put up 70 points twice (if 68 is the same as 70) and for whom appearing in more than 70 games for 3 straight seasons is an accomplishment. People make the same argument for Bergeron and I see it as legitimate -- except that Bergeron is one of the best defensive forwards in the league. What does Havlat do that is so special that he can overcome the above facts? IMO, nothing.

I'm not saying he doesn't have value, but for first-line money, he isn't worth it, especially since we'd have to trade something to Minny to get him. He's never going to be an offensive leader -- he put up big points on a stacked Sens team and basically the same Blackhawks team that won the cup. Would much rather get Kessel back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

And if we're going with the why would Minny trade him, point of view, what would it really take? Let's look at some things Minny might consider.

- Wheeler -- $2.8 million cheaper, bigger, faster. Far less proven, but has potential.

- Prospects (Colborne, Caron, Sauve, Spooner, Knight) -- $5 million cap dump and possibly a second line player (lateral move from Havlat if true)

- Bergeron -- Cheaper and defensively excellent. Would fit in great with Minny's style of play

- Savard -- I'd pull the trigger on this one, actually.

- Krejci -- Number one center, who is $1.25 million cheaper, more durable, and has same offensive ability as Havlat

- Seguin -- No chance

- Horton -- Same offensive talent, bigger, cheaper

No deal I can find that works for both Boston and Minny.

Sections
Shortcuts